P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 hours ago, indiana123 said:

One of my early memories is  of that rubber thing coming towards my mouth in the dentists.  Eeek that smell of the gas.. and the blowing noise.  Luckily I'm not scared of the Dentists but  that memory makes me shudder.

That's what I meant when I said most of our age group had a fear of dentists.  It terrified the life out of me, but I was only 9 at the time. Thank goodness it's nothing like that now. We have a wonderful dentist who sings and chats while he's working.

Avril

56 minutes ago, kalos said:

I really feel for people with phobias and a dentist can be a real worry to some.

To reassure people I tell them how highly trained they are .

I even knew a dentist who went on to become a brain surgeon ! ...

... The Drill Slipped :classic_ohmy::classic_unsure:

toronto-dentist-joke1.jpg.61d3f7e66803d4ae05ffe708cda3ee04.jpg

Even though I found that funny kalos, I somehow don't think it's the kind of reassurance wowzz needs at the moment😉

Avril

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

My Wife has been suffering with a knee problem that started just before the lockdown.

After a consultation with our practice nurse she was told to keep on taking the tablets and using gel.

We have made contact with the surgery several times since and all that happens is a Doctor rings her to discuss the problem and tells her the same thing.

She has never been examined by a Doctor or even been sent for X ray, we have given up ringing.

She has bought a knee support and it seems that our only other option would be to go to A and E which we are reluctant to do at this time.

I've had a similar experience with my GP's surgery.

However, luckily for me I'm a member of Benenden healthcare.  I was able to get a phone consultation with a physio, obviously not ideal, but better than nothing.  In normal times my GP would have referred me to an NHS consultant, but he said that the hospital simply won't take my case at this time.  However, as there has been little improvement, my GP wrote a referral letter to Benenden, who have now agreed for me to see a consultant on a private basis.  First time I've used Benenden in over 30 years

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's what I meant when I said most of our age group had a fear of dentists.  It terrified the life out of me, but I was only 9 at the time. Thank goodness it's nothing like that now. We have a wonderful dentist who sings and chats while he's working.

Avril

My dad went to the dentists in 1945 to have a tooth out and the bleeding wouldn’t stop and he ended up in hospital. It spooked him so much he never went back to a dentists for the rest of his life ( another 59 years)

When I was a child, my dentist didn’t use any pain relief at all for fillings. I suppose I thought that was normal, as I don’t remember being scared.

With that background, I  probably should have a phobia of going to the dentists, but I’m ok about it.

However, I loathe going to a doctor’s surgery. I have a classic case of white coat syndrome. My blood pressure is going up just thinking about it 

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Shock news in this mornings Daily Wail, you live longer with Covid19 than without. The average age of people dying from covid is 82.4, whereas the average age of non covid deaths is 81.5.

Or, put another way, the older you are the more likely you are to die from contracting Covid, which research has shown to be the case for some considerable time.

3 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

However, luckily for me I'm a member of Benenden healthcare.  I was able to get a phone consultation with a physio, obviously not ideal, but better than nothing.  In normal times my GP would have referred me to an NHS consultant, but he said that the hospital simply won't take my case at this time.  However, as there has been little improvement, my GP wrote a referral letter to Benenden, who have now agreed for me to see a consultant on a private basis.  First time I've used Benenden in over 30 years

Benenden has proved extremely useful for our family too over the years. Not remotely full private medical insurance, but fills the gap when the NHS can’t deliver.

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When I was a child, my dentist didn’t use any pain relief at all for fillings. I suppose I thought that was normal, as I don’t remember being scared.

My mum used to live in the Soviet Union.  She told me that one time when she went to the dentist and needed a filling, there was no anastetic due to a shortage.  The dentist gave her a large swig of vodka!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Or, put another way, the older you are the more likely you are to die from contracting Covid, which research has shown to be the case for some considerable time.

Dying from contracting Covid is somewhat different from dying after contracting  Covid. Common mistake.

21 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, you have restored my faith in human nature, this is definitely something I can disagree with you about. The lack of funding is a well trodden labour party doctrine, but anyone who visits a hospital clinic must see the plethora of bodies wandering around with folders under their arm, then several minutes later retracing their steps, and if you are unlucky enough to have a long wait you will see the same people do several encores.

Now these may not be front line staff, but they do get paid by the the NHS. If the NHS  was managed properly and administration was overhauled and run efficiently, it would be able to employ far more front line staff.

It may be sacrilege but I reckon if Jeff Bezos ran the NHS admin, then it might well be a world class organisation.

Ahhh the old Daily Mail chestnut of its all the fault of NHS Managers! I did wonder if that would rear its head :classic_laugh:. I'd love people holding that view to actually come and spend a week with NHS management - you'd soon change your mind.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Ahhh the old Daily Mail chestnut of its all the fault of NHS Managers! I did wonder if that would rear its head :classic_laugh:. I'd love people holding that view to actually come and spend a week with NHS management - you'd soon change your mind.

I know it's in the dim and distant past, but my Dad was a "Hospital Secretary " as they were called in the 50s, and ran a hospital with a handful of managers and obviously the Matron. The problem today is that too many layers of managers have been added, usually because of the demands of central government. 

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know it's in the dim and distant past, but my Dad was a "Hospital Secretary " as they were called in the 50s, and ran a hospital with a handful of managers and obviously the Matron. The problem today is that too many layers of managers have been added, usually because of the demands of central government. 

If we the people will insist on everything the state does being perfect, and wanting compo for even minor transgressions, then it's no wonder ministers want some sort of measurement of just about everything.

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks for that, we are members of Simply Health and can get help with physio costs through them but I don't think it would be that much help with her problem.

Edited by Bloodaxe

On 10/7/2020 at 10:43 PM, wowzz said:

John - quick, lie down in a darkened room until the feeling passes. 

Interesting to note that the idea of allowing the mass of the population to carry on as normal,with the vulnerable being protected,  is gaining more and more support from numerous experts - as per The Barrington Declaration.  Unfortunately this government has surrounded itself with a group of scientific advisors that only have monocular vision,  and refuses to countenance any differing point of view.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:48 PM, Harry Peterson said:

Funnily enough, I was about to mention that:

https://gbdeclaration.org/

I did not know much about this Barrington and to be honest I still don't.

Sometimes  I feel it is a lot better to leave it to the top experts ,like ....

Johnny Bannanas , Dr FakenamePerson and who could ever forget Harold Shipman or prof 

Cummings of Durham university. :classic_wacko:

I think I will also lay in a darkened room until April with my Nowtv to keep me company until

these guys sort the covid out .:classic_unsure::classic_smile:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronvairus-dr-johnny-bananas-and-dr-person-fakename-among-medical-signatories-on-herd-immunity-open-letter-12099947

1424173169_imagesweekend.png.1114148c9b911a6e5d431ad801b12251.png:classic_biggrin:

• Like 5

Not sure where to put this. Just a bit of daftness for us girls.... might start a bit of a debate though!🙃😀

My Partner and I have always lived in our own separate houses.  It has always suited us, especially with the demands of business.  That may change soon though!

Anyway,  my washing machine gave up so I have been sending my washing down to him.  When it comes back it is amazing, perfectly ironed or folded.  My bed linen has never been so perfect.  I hate ironing and I'm not very good at it.Also no damp washing in my house.

My question for the girls is:     Do I get a new machine now or do I hang about for as long as possible .  I think I favour the latter.   He says he's the ships butler😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, kalos said:

I did not know much about this Barrington and to be honest I still don't.

Sometimes  I feel it is a lot better to leave it to the top experts ,like ....

Johnny Bannanas , Dr FakenamePerson and who could ever forget Harold Shipman or prof 

Cummings of Durham university. :classic_wacko:

I think I will also lay in a darkened room until April with my Nowtv to keep me company until

these guys sort the covid out .:classic_unsure::classic_smile:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronvairus-dr-johnny-bananas-and-dr-person-fakename-among-medical-signatories-on-herd-immunity-open-letter-12099947

1424173169_imagesweekend.png.1114148c9b911a6e5d431ad801b12251.png:classic_biggrin:

Yes, there are a number of unfortunate joke names amongst the signatories. 

A pity, as the actual hypothesis proposed is worth considering. Not of course by our government,  as it does not coincide with their rigid dogma. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Yes, there are a number of unfortunate joke names amongst the signatories. 

A pity, as the actual hypothesis proposed is worth considering. Not of course by our government,  as it does not coincide with their rigid dogma. 

I suspect that there is an almost 50/50 spli in the govt, but the big guns seem to be the ones favouring a lockdown, with only Rishi fighting for the economy.

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Not sure where to put this. Just a bit of daftness for us girls.... might start a bit of a debate though!🙃😀

My Partner and I have always lived in our own separate houses.  It has always suited us, especially with the demands of business.  That may change soon though!

Anyway,  my washing machine gave up so I have been sending my washing down to him.  When it comes back it is amazing, perfectly ironed or folded.  My bed linen has never been so perfect.  I hate ironing and I'm not very good at it.Also no damp washing in my house.

My question for the girls is:     Do I get a new machine now or do I hang about for as long as possible .  I think I favour the latter.   He says he's the ships butler😂

Get the new washing machine, but carry on sending the ironing to him. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect that there is an almost 50/50 spli in the govt, but the big guns seem to be the ones favouring a lockdown, with only Rishi fighting for the economy.

You’re right about the split, and I’m absolutely certain that decisions will be made on the basis of saving/enhancing individual career prospects rather than what’s appropriate for the country.

Damn PPE students. Bring back decent politicians.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’re right about the split, and I’m absolutely certain that decisions will be made on the basis of saving/enhancing individual career prospects rather than what’s appropriate for the country.

To be fair, I think Rishi is rather more in touch with the real world (his father was a GP and his mother a pharmacist) than the rest of the cabinet, despite his  privileged education.

Without him, Pfeffel would be locking down the whole country, destroying the economy and health of the nation,  whilst spouting some Churchillan type balderdash.

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The last decent politicians who were not bothered about their careers, probably had long sideburns and wore wing collars and were either landed gentry or wealthy industrialists.........just saying.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Get the new washing machine, but carry on sending the ironing to him. 

Total agree my husband is  better at ironing than me and he folds it up perfectly just like the shops , I put this down to him having more time on his hands though 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

The last decent politicians who were not bothered about their careers, probably had long sideburns and wore wing collars and were either landed gentry or wealthy industrialists.........just saying.

There’s certainly something in that, but they did at least care about the country as well. This lot don’t give a damn about the country, despite all the posturing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Sounds like the basis for a good question in a history degree examination. 

"Describe the difference in political outlook between Palmerston and Gadstone, with specific reference to universal suffrage in an age of Imperialism "

To think that I might have once been able to almost answer that !

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

if it comes back like that I’d never get a new one

• Like 3