P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes,you cross the road and straight onto the beach promenade at Morrisons Seaburn Sunderland.

Good to go to the shops. In our town, Morrison's is 10min walk to the town. Park in their car park ( Allowed up to 3 hours). Walk into town, go round the shops, do shopping in Morrison's on the way back.Saves £1.50 an hour parking, get some exercise. People go on about the death of the high street and shop on line for every thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Good to go to the shops. In our town, Morrison's is 10min walk to the town. Park in their car park ( Allowed up to 3 hours). Walk into town, go round the shops, do shopping in Morrison's on the way back.Saves £1.50 an hour parking, get some exercise. People go on about the death of the high street and shop on line for every thing.

Totally agree, we walk 10 mins into town with a Sainsbury and Lidl there.My biggest worry is getting home before Peacocks go bust.I need a complete wardrobe since I've lost 4 st from when I was last in the UK,lol.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Right at the start of all this, I thought we’d use the terms ‘before Covid” and ‘before lockdown’ in the same way as we say ‘before the war’.

Covid is one of those watershed moments in history 

The illustrious modern historian (Lord) Peter Hennessy had it right too with these comments on World at One on 17 March:

“Future historians will divide post war Britain as BC and AC – ‘Before Corona’ and ‘After Corona"  -  "it's a pivotal point in the nation's history"

I see someone's suggested that BC and AC actually mean 'before the clown' and 'after the clown' - can't think who they mean! 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Right at the start of all this, I thought we’d use the terms ‘before Covid” and ‘before lockdown’ in the same way as we say ‘before the war’.

Covid is one of those watershed moments in history 

You are so right. When I was in my teens and complaining that I couldn't find a particular item that I ''couldn't live without'' mum would always begin with ''well, before the war ........'' and I would roll my eyes with a ''yes mum, I know'' 

I wonder if that's how my great-grandchildren will remember me. The pre-covid Grammy🙂

Avril

• Like 3

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

When Ocado had a £15 voucher off and I looked at their website I found some brilliant offers.   I saved a lot of money that week. They do seem pricy but do have some really good price cuts, and also do a Tesco comparison fort most things and send you a voucher for the difference.

Ocado do a midweek smartpass for free deliveries on Tues,. Weds and Thurs. Its only a couple of pound a month and that held me in good stead for occasional deliveries in lockdown.   Iceland came up trumps for us as well.

Someone said they are going to order Ocado/M and S at Christmas.  I think slots will be like gold dust. I read somewhere they are giving slots soon, so worth keeping an eye on.

Waitrose delivery slots for Christmas week are already fully booked up (I’m in West Sussex). They seemed to go in just a few hours as I had been checking daily. I’m hoping they might release some more in due course.

I do find Waitrose very reliable and have been having fortnightly deliveries from them in the last year or two.

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Absolutely true, parking in York is very expensive, we can park in Sainsburys on the edge of city centre, max stay 4 hrs for a pound per hour.

If you then spend at least 10 pounds in the shop you get your parking fee back.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the City centre and while we can we will keep on doing it.

Waitrose in on our way home, I do appreciate that online shopping is the best option for some people at this time.

29 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Waitrose delivery slots for Christmas week are already fully booked up (I’m in West Sussex). They seemed to go in just a few hours as I had been checking daily. I’m hoping they might release some more in due course.

I do find Waitrose very reliable and have been having fortnightly deliveries from them in the last year or two.

I thought as much.

Just been into the website but can't see anywhere that says "Chyistmas deliveries" only the next week or so.   Any ideas?

1 minute ago, indiana123 said:

I thought as much.

Just been into the website but can't see anywhere that says "Chyistmas deliveries" only the next week or so.   Any ideas?

You should see a button saying ‘Show Christmas Slots’ but round here the slots all went within a very short time last week.

30 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I thought as much.

Above the Days of the week where you chose your time slot there should be another choice Saying Christmas Slots. But like Harry says I suspect they’ve all gone!

17 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Above the Days of the week where you chose your time slot there should be another choice Saying Christmas Slots. But like Harry says I suspect they’ve all gone!

Thank you both.. I'll look every day.

Do you have to place an order?  If so then a good idea is to book, say, a bulk order for cat food up to the required amount then edit nearer the time.

7 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Do you have to place an order?  If so then a good idea is to book, say, a bulk order for cat food up to the required amount then edit nearer the time.

It’s unlikely, but just possible, that your slots haven’t opened yet. I only say that because my daughter’s opened a couple of weeks ago. She lives in another area.

19 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Yes you do have to place an order for over £40 to get a slot, but it can usually be amended up to noon the day beforehand.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Went to Lidl this morning. Bought a box of 100 wooden pegs. Quite sobering to think that these pegs will be the last ones we will ever need to buy!

Wowzz's cheerful ''Thought for today'' 🤣 Here's mine. They all could split after one use and then you'll need to buy some more😁

Avril

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Went to Lidl this morning. Bought a box of 100 wooden pegs. Quite sobering to think that these pegs will be the last ones we will ever need to buy!

Funny I’ve been thinking that way about things recently as well. Covid is making us all more aware of our mortality.

With all the talk about a potential lockdown for Christmas I was mentally calculating how many more Christmases I might have. And yes simple things like pegs that last for a very long time so I might wear out before they do, quite a sobering thought.

Then I thought well no need to be too carefulI if time is potentially limited,  Good excuse to break out the cheese and lots of wine!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Funny I’ve been thinking that way about things recently as well. Covid is making us all more aware of our mortality.

With all the talk about a potential lockdown for Christmas I was mentally calculating how many more Christmases I might have. And yes simple things like pegs that last for a very long time so I might wear out before they do, quite a sobering thought.

Then I thought well no need to be too carefulI if time is potentially limited,  Good excuse to break out the cheese and lots of wine!

Things are rarely as bad as they might first appear to be. Many of us were redoing wills in the Spring, and most of us are still here!

With you entirely in that last sentiment. Had to cut the wine out to allow for the cheese though. Priorities, and cheese is at the top of mine. I could give up altogether with the fight against the BMI, but probably not a good idea.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Things are rarely as bad as they might first appear to be. Many of us were redoing wills in the Spring, and most of us are still here!

With you entirely in that last sentiment. Had to cut the wine out to allow for the cheese though. Priorities, and cheese is at the top of mine. I could give up altogether with the fight against the BMI, but probably not a good idea.

I am a great cheese lover, the smellier the better. I know it’s not the healthiest thing but small pleasures.

Have you tried a Scottish cheese called the Minger - it really stinks but it’s so tasty.

Any local cheese you could recommend?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Why,you're not thinking of pegging it are you.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I am a great cheese lover, the smellier the better. I know it’s not the healthiest thing but small pleasures.

Have you tried a Scottish cheese called the Minger - it really stinks but it’s so tasty.

Any local cheese you could recommend?

I hadn't heard of that, but from a quick search it looks interesting.  As do their other cheeses - and also the Glenmorangie Distillery just down the road.

Amused that Waitrose loved the cheese but wouldn't stock it because the name might upset their delicate customers!  I'll have a look out for online stockists - always keen to try new cheeses.

We have no local cheeses worthy of mention, but I could once have recommended a splendid Cheddar from a small farm near Taunton.  No longer being made now, though - they were effectively closed down by the old Milk Marketing Board for failing to supply the MMB with the entire output. Somebody apparently grassed on them.  Best Cheddar I've ever tasted.

Trips to Lincolnshire though have put us in touch with these people, and we now get regular supplies mail order from them:

https://lincolnshirepoachercheese.com/

They've established quite a reputation nationally now.  This one's worth a special mention, but it's not for the fainthearted:

https://lincolnshirepoachercheese.com/shop/knuckleduster/

All their cheeses are excellent, and there's quite a range.  Waitrose do sell some of them, but only some.

I need to try some of your Scottish soft cheeses now.

• Thanks 1

Well we are now home from Devon. We had a good time despite a couple of days with lots of rain. 
This afternoon we are going over to our son’s for dinner which I’m really looking to it. Who knows the if we’ll be able to mix with them soon. 
After that I really feel we have nothing to look forward to... 

I hope you had a lovely time with your family today and I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your Devon holiday. We went to Exmoor zoo on Tuesday and got drenched, saw lots of the animals though.

I hope you manage to find things to look forward to, some days out or chats/walks with friends and family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 2

We got back from Devon yesterday, had a real mix of weather, wonderfully stormy for a few days but a few sunny days too. I ate way too much and my diet starts tomorrow, [emoji4] don’t they all?! We did lots of walking too and I got good use out of the waterproof walking boots I had bought for our Norway cruise!
Now back to the mounds of washing [emoji15]

I don’t usually watch Britain’s Got Talent but heard on the radio that they had performances by some west end shows on last night’s programme, including Les Mis which is my favourite, so I watched that bit this afternoon and got quite emotional, made me realise how much I’m missing going to the theatre. One day.....

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I hadn't heard of that, but from a quick search it looks interesting.  As do their other cheeses - and also the Glenmorangie Distillery just down the road.

Amused that Waitrose loved the cheese but wouldn't stock it because the name might upset their delicate customers!  I'll have a look out for online stockists - always keen to try new cheeses.

We have no local cheeses worthy of mention, but I could once have recommended a splendid Cheddar from a small farm near Taunton.  No longer being made now, though - they were effectively closed down by the old Milk Marketing Board for failing to supply the MMB with the entire output. Somebody apparently grassed on them.  Best Cheddar I've ever tasted.

Trips to Lincolnshire though have put us in touch with these people, and we now get regular supplies mail order from them:

https://lincolnshirepoachercheese.com/

They've established quite a reputation nationally now.  This one's worth a special mention, but it's not for the fainthearted:

https://lincolnshirepoachercheese.com/shop/knuckleduster/

All their cheeses are excellent, and there's quite a range.  Waitrose do sell some of them, but only some.

I need to try some of your Scottish soft cheeses now.

Cheese monger looks interesting, I will investigate further. Thanks.

I have not tried knuckleduster, must look out for it as I like trying something new.

Another one to look out for is blue murder, you might like that if you like flavourful cheese.

I did not know that Waitrose had ever stocked the Minger, shame they have stopped. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We got back from Devon yesterday, had a real mix of weather, wonderfully stormy for a few days but a few sunny days too. I ate way too much and my diet starts tomorrow, emoji4.png don’t they all?! We did lots of walking too and I got good use out of the waterproof walking boots I had bought for our Norway cruise!
Now back to the mounds of washing emoji15.png

I don’t usually watch Britain’s Got Talent but heard on the radio that they had performances by some west end shows on last night’s programme, including Les Mis which is my favourite, so I watched that bit this afternoon and got quite emotional, made me realise how much I’m missing going to the theatre. One day.....

Me too. I watched the performance last night, it made me feel very 

emotional. One day, when I eventually see a musical again at the theatre, I will be so happy that I will sob in public! 

Glad you had a good holiday 

• Like 1