P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

My question for the girls is:     Do I get a new machine now or do I hang about for as long as possible .  I think I favour the latter.   He says he's the ships butler😂

I don't know about the washing machine, but I'd hang onto the chap...🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Total agree my husband is  better at ironing than me and he folds it up perfectly just like the shops , I put this down to him having more time on his hands though 😉

Pauline won't let me near an iron.

I am heavy handed and would make a mess of clothes but I am a willing helper in all other household chores.

Graham.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline won't let me near an iron.

I am heavy handed and would make a mess of clothes but I am a willing helper in all other household chores.

Graham.

Frank knows those tricks too Graham.😁 

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Not sure where to put this. Just a bit of daftness for us girls.... might start a bit of a debate though!🙃😀

My Partner and I have always lived in our own separate houses.  It has always suited us, especially with the demands of business.  That may change soon though!

Anyway,  my washing machine gave up so I have been sending my washing down to him.  When it comes back it is amazing, perfectly ironed or folded.  My bed linen has never been so perfect.  I hate ironing and I'm not very good at it.Also no damp washing in my house.

My question for the girls is:     Do I get a new machine now or do I hang about for as long as possible .  I think I favour the latter.   He says he's the ships butler😂

Deffo take your time over a new machine.😉

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Avril! You shock me. Ye of little faith. We're just not like that. 😇

If you say so Harry.😁 I've had 55 years experience that says differently. To honest we always share the house and garden work. I just keep him away from the cooking, washing and ironing.😊

Avril

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

If you say so Harry.😁 I've had 55 years experience that says differently. To honest we always share the house and garden work. I just keep him away from the cooking, washing and ironing.😊

Avril

He's lucky to have you, Avril, and I'm sure you feel the same way about him. 

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

He's lucky to have you, Avril, and I'm sure you feel the same way about him. 

I met Frank when I was 15 and just left school. We've been married nearly 56 years and yes, there have been some rocky times, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. Frank feels the same way too, because I've told him he does😄

Avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just a question. Our neighbour told us that she irons her towels. 

Lady W is house proud,  but she couldn't believe it.

Perhaps we're slobs, but does anyone else iron towels, and if so, why?

My friend does, and her tea towels!! She says it makes them softer🙄 Mine get folded and put away.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

My friend does, and her tea towels!! She says it makes them softer🙄 Mine get folded and put away.

Avril

Tumble dried and put away. Why iron them?

Isn't this really a very sad conversation! Someone will be along soon to complain that towel ironing is nothing to do with cruising,  and that we should go to a towel ironing forum! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Tumble dried and put away. Why iron them?

Isn't this really a very sad conversation! Someone will be along soon to complain that towel ironing is nothing to do with cruising,  and that we should go to a towel ironing forum! 

It's desperation now wowzz, but we can argue that it has something to do with cruising. Do they iron the towels on cruise ships before folding them into towel animals?😊 

I shall now go to bed before this conversation gets sillier. Nite all🥱

Avril

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's desperation now wowzz, but we can argue that it has something to do with cruising. Do they iron the towels on cruise ships before folding them into towel animals?😊 

I shall now go to bed before this conversation gets sillier. Nite all🥱

Avril

Just going to see if Lady W has ironed my socks.  

• Haha 1

Is there really all that much that has to be ironed? 

Our daughter irons practically nothing (I'm not even sure she has an iron) and claims it's an utter waste of time.  There are better things to do with your time that ironing - home educating her children takes a much higher priority!

As my wife, who used to care for the dying as a terminal care nurse, says - she could never recall anyone saying they wished they'd spent more time doing housework.  Holidays, being with the family, hobbies, lots of other things - yes.  Housework and ironing - never.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Is there really all that much that has to be ironed? 

Our daughter irons practically nothing (I'm not even sure she has an iron) and claims it's an utter waste of time.  There are better things to do with your time that ironing - home educating her children takes a much higher priority!

As my wife, who used to care for the dying as a terminal care nurse, says - she could never recall anyone saying they wished they'd spent more time doing housework.  Holidays, being with the family, hobbies, lots of other things - yes.  Housework and ironing - never.

I haven't ironed anything for over a year. The baby boomer dress code expressly forbids anything made of linen.🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Irons are strange devices and as posted some people just can't get enough of them ,ironing socks

and towels,bra's :classic_unsure:.

The one thing I would never iron though is a four leaf clover !  I never press my luck.

You can also learn a lot about irons and the type of people who use them by reading the safety 

labels on a new iron , things like keep away from your face.Do people really forget they have a steam iron  

in their hands when the telephone rings ? Daft things like Do not touch the iron plate when hot or keep 

away from pets ,as if someone thinks "I will just  give the goldfish a quick run over with the iron" or the 

little cute Pug puppy . 

Maybe what they should do is put a label on stating how addictive ironing can become .

People can't get enough of it and queue up on cruise ships just to have a go! They have even posted threads 

on here about it .." Me and our Bert are  going on our once in a lifetime cruise , can anyone tell me do they have 

an iron ? Or can I smuggle one on board ."

Some manufacturers of irons realise that some of us would be so excited with a new iron that we  start ironing

our clothes whilst wearing them ,such is the urge to iron something .

For that reason I'm out plus Mrs Kalos would never let me near her Iron .   animated-have-a-nice-day-image-0001.gif.58fe7a5026b338991b5037cb0effca1d.gif:classic_smile:

iron.jpg.726b9a7935d4211eb0754e8de3e198b8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Mum had a similar idea. She'd say to me 'sprinkle some salt on it, it'll keep. The dust will still be there when you're not' 

Avril

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just a question. Our neighbour told us that she irons her towels. 

Lady W is house proud,  but she couldn't believe it.

Perhaps we're slobs, but does anyone else iron towels, and if so, why?

Since Pauline's stroke I have had to learn how to iron, and she tells me I do an excellent job so who am I to argue, but she tells me not to iron the towels or underwear either, and she has a few tops that require little or no ironing.  As she says, especially at present, who sees even our top clothes except us.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I wouldn't rush out and get a new machine, but I think you should keep that man!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Mum had a similar idea. She'd say to me 'sprinkle some salt on it, it'll keep. The dust will still be there when you're not' 

Avril

Absolutely right.  Some things have to be kept clean for health reasons.  Others less so.  Hoover through once a year, and get the deep satisfaction of gaining an extra six inches of room height.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dust If You Must

Dust if you must, but wouldn’t it be better

To paint a picture, or write a letter,

Bake a cake, or plant a seed;

Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there’s not much time,

With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;

Music to hear, and books to read;

Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world’s out there

With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;

A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,

This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,

Old age will come and it’s not kind.

And when you go (and go you must)

You, yourself, will make more dust.