P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

I love snow too , I lived in Canada for 3 years and it always started to snow come Halloween time and lasted until end of March , waist deep and -25 plus the cars got hooked up for the night to keep a heater running and when going to the shops you plugged your car in so it didn’t freeze up and everything stayed open and schools too,  6 months of snow and 6 months of sun .

Kalos I also watched Chris Packham to night on bbc it was very bad then I’m glad I was only 2 at the time and don’t remember any of it 😊 it was very hard going for them all 

It is amazing how much better countries like Canada seems to handle snow so much better than we do here.  I was in Pictou, Nova Scotia for 3 months leaving on 23rd December and I decided to drive to Halifax the day before my flight to be sure of getting there for my flight to get home for Christmas.  When I reach Mount Tomm I had to get into a queue to be taken over to Truro, they had snow ploughs leading groups of vehicles.  Here (in Stoke at least) we seem to struggle with just an inch of snow.  When the plane took off the runway was cleared before each plane taxied, and they had trucks spraying the planes as they tasked out.  Here (in Stoke at least) we seem to struggle with just an inch of snow.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It is amazing how much better countries like Canada seems to handle snow so much better than we do here.  I was in Pictou, Nova Scotia for 3 months leaving on 23rd December and I decided to drive to Halifax the day before my flight to be sure of getting there for my flight to get home for Christmas.  When I reach Mount Tomm I had to get into a queue to be taken over to Truro, they had snow ploughs leading groups of vehicles.  Here (in Stoke at least) we seem to struggle with just an inch of snow.  When the plane took off the runway was cleared before each plane taxied, and they had trucks spraying the planes as they tasked out.  Here (in Stoke at least) we seem to struggle with just an inch of snow.

The difference of course is that places like Canada know that they will have snow every year,  and therefore it makes economic sense to have all the necessary equipment in place. It would be nonsensical for Stoke to have 100 snow ploughs ready to spring  into action on the off chance of two or three days of snow every other year.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

I watched that and thoroughly enjoyed it (apart from the number of animals dying as a result) - I was ten and remember the winter of 1963 very fondly.

Me too. Good programme. Remember that winter very well - stranded on a journey home from Colchester to Truro and had to stay overnight in a hotel in Ilchester. Very exciting as a child - we didn’t do hotels! Snow started just after Christmas, and hung around till March.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

I watched that and thoroughly enjoyed it (apart from the number of animals dying as a result) - I was ten and remember the winter of 1963 very fondly.

I watched it and it brought back memories of my friends and I walking the 4 miles home from school because they had taken the buses off; most definitely wouldn't happen now! 

Listening to the plummy voices of the presenters took me back too and although they sounded strange for 2020, I decided I preferred their voices to the ones we sometimes get today who substitute a 'v' or an 'f' for a 'th' - those who say 'fanks', and 'I fink' etc.  Funnily enough it doesn't bother me when accompanied by a cockney accent (I love regional accents), but it has spread like a rash throughout the country and it's like fingernails down a blackboard to my ears, even though Cliff Michelmore et al are proof of how language changes down the generations.  Even the Queen doesn't speak as she did when young!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I watched it and it brought back memories of my friends and I walking the 4 miles home from school because they had taken the buses off; most definitely wouldn't happen now! 

Listening to the plummy voices of the presenters took me back too and although they sounded strange for 2020, I decided I preferred their voices to the ones we sometimes get today who substitute a 'v' or an 'f' for a 'th' - those who say 'fanks', and 'I fink' etc.  Funnily enough it doesn't bother me when accompanied by a cockney accent (I love regional accents), but it has spread like a rash throughout the country and it's like fingernails down a blackboard to my ears, even though Cliff Michelmore et al are proof of how language changes down the generations.  Even the Queen doesn't speak as she did when young!

Cor blimey luv,glad ya can't 'ear me.Danny dyer's posh compared to me.Up the 'ammers.

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The difference of course is that places like Canada know that they will have snow every year,  and therefore it makes economic sense to have all the necessary equipment in place. It would be nonsensical for Stoke to have 100 snow ploughs ready to spring  into action on the off chance of two or three days of snow every other year.

I understand that but in Stoke the problem here seems to be that people don't try to adjust their driving to suit the conditions so we have people who go into a slide and don't seem to know how to control it.  I learned to drive during winter so was taught by the instructor how to handle winter driving and I think that was invaluable.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Oh.... 

I definitely say 'I fink the fing is' ... 

Never been able to do that rolly tongue fing for' th'... 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, wowzz said:

A few years ago we had a local flood because of heavy rain making the main sewer overflow. OK so they installed a large sump in a nearby green space, sufficient to handle a 1 in 100 year flood. I think it was 2 or 3 years later when it rained again and it overflowed. so they dug it up and made it an awful lot bigger. I wonder if you can make a bet on how many years until it floods again 😁

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh.... 

Andy 

😁 My northern, lovely, smart nephew does too, and I can't really see why.  None of the other English speaking countries do it, as far as I know.  We met some Americans on one cruise who had an English young man assist in their church and they asked me about this and if it was a 'condition' 😁😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

How strange that you should be making that point. Funnily enough I was saying exactly that to my wife yesterday evening after watching something on the BBC news. A highly intelligent, well educated individual - but using the ‘f’ throughout. I was wondering where it originated, having first noticed it in one of my cousins back in the 60s. I put it down to some kind of speech thing at the time, but I imagine it was, in Colchester, an early indication of the beginnings of the ubiquitous spread of Estuary English.

Like you, I love to hear regional accents, but this isn’t remotely that.  I suppose we have to accept, though, that speech changes in the same way that language does.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

How strange that you should be making that point. Funnily enough I was saying exactly that to my wife yesterday evening after watching something on the BBC news. A highly intelligent, well educated individual - but using the ‘f’ throughout. I was wondering where it originated, having first noticed it in one of my cousins back in the 60s. I put it down to some kind of speech thing at the time, but I imagine it was, in Colchester, an early indication of the beginnings of the ubiquitous spread of Estuary English.

Like you, I love to hear regional accents, but this isn’t remotely that.  I suppose we have to accept, though, that speech changes in the same way that language does.

Hi I always love to hear regional accents too and trying to guess where there from mine is a dead giveaway I’m always referred too as Geordie lass   
even when I think I have my posh voice on 😂

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cor blimey luv,glad ya can't 'ear me.Danny dyer's posh compared to me.Up the 'ammers.

22 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh.... 

Andy 

Avril lass , 'em Soverners are callin agin .wha' t' 'ell are t' sayin naw ? :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, AnnieC said:

I was 3 in the March of 1963, so have no real memories of the snow. I have been told that I looked out of the window in amazement when the snow started on Boxing Day. 

However, I have a life long fear of of burst pipes in freezing weather, and I have vague recollections of seeing news programmes about burst pipes when the thaw came in the March, so I think my phobia dates from that time! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It's funny all of you remembering large snowfalls in 1963, I only remember the freezing fogs of the winter of 1962/3 here in W Yorkshire, it lasted from November all the way through to the end of February, lots of icy roads but due to freezing fog rather than snow

Here's the programme should you or anyone else wish to see it .:classic_smile:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01q9d86  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Apart from the f fing, I think I speak quite well, definitely not 'estuary English', although I am a Romford boy. 

Why does this bother people so much when Northerners go t'werk etc? 

Cue Kalos or Brian with a comment about Beyonce... 😊

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Apart from the f fing, I think I speak quite well, definitely not 'estuary English', although I am a Romford boy. 

Andy 

My bums too stiff for all that stuff.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I'm a bad influence in Italy.After I've told them a few English words our beach bar sounds like the Boleyn after a game.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I blame the Vikings myself.Raping and pillaging oop North .

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

My bums too stiff for all that stuff.

We try not to talk about that up north , back in them days my great ,great, great , absolutely

bloody fantastic Grandma got the face on . She  couldn't under stand why the Vikings 

refused to take her and actually gave her a refund on the pillaging ! :classic_unsure:

Avon had not been invented back then !

As for tight bums , has thar seen a Yorkshire mans pockets on a rent day ? 

That's where Beyonce learnt her Twerking skills from :classic_wink:

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

We try not to talk about that up north , back in them days my great ,great, great , absolutely

bloody fantastic Grandma got the face on . She  couldn't under stand why the Vikings 

refused to take her and actually gave her a refund on the pillaging ! :classic_unsure:

LOL,when I was scrolling down I thought you said Avril was not invented then.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

LOL,when I was scrolling down I thought you said Avril was not invented then.

Oh no you don't ..you're on your own with this one mate .. Give her a shout ..

"AVRIL YOUR BRIAN WANTS TO ASK YOU SUMMAT ! "  good luck :classic_wink:

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

Of course there was no 'Avon'... 

Doorbells hadn't been invented.. 😊

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3