P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

No way - my wife uses them for planting seedlings in the greenhouse! 

I do that too!!. Mum would be mortified. They were her best silver(plated😉) fish set from her MIL on her wedding day. Better they're some use than no use.

Avril

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I do that too!!. Mum would be mortified. They were her best silver(plated😉) fish set from her MIL on her wedding day. Better they're some use than no use.

Avril

Absolutely, Avril, plus the good taste police won't think to look in your greenhouse if they pay you a surprise visit.😄

Edited by AnnieC

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

I was born in April the year before you Avril, I was a baby in 1947 but I later heard stories of snow half way up the telephone poles and laying on the ground in sheltered areas until June.

I can blamed for many things, but I honestly can't be blamed for the snow in 1947.😉

Avril

34 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I remember my parents talking about the winter of 1947 and that it was all everyone needed not long after the war ended.

Me too. And even worse for the very many people who couldn’t get hold of coal or food because both were in such short supply. No coal, no heating. There were stacks of coal near Ipswich station at the time, and my parents in law used to talk about the scavenging that went on by men who just wanted to keep their kids warm.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Me too. And even worse for the very many people who couldn’t get hold of coal or food because both were in such short supply. No coal, no heating. There were stacks of coal near Ipswich station at the time, and my parents in law used to talk about the scavenging that went on by men who just wanted to keep their kids warm.

We are a very lucky generation in so many ways. Covid has put a bit of a spanner in the works, but when you think of what our parents and their parent's generations had to cope with (like many on here, my father and grandparents lived through two world wars, my mother through one). And the day to day deprivations of the poor are simply unimaginable.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Absolutely, Avril, plus the good taste police won't think to look in your greenhouse if they pay you a surprise visit.😄

I don't think she ever used them. She had mentioned them and they only came to light while going through her effects. 

Avril

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't think she ever used them. She had mentioned them and they only came to light while going through her effects. 

Avril

It's all nonsense, really, Avril. Someone setting themselves as an arbiter of good taste and daft people going along with it. If you want to use them when you eat your fish fingers, you just go right ahead😂. I have a feeling Betjemin wrote an unpleasant sneering poem about them - says more about him than about users of fish knives.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

It's all nonsense, really, Avril. Someone setting themselves as an arbiter of good taste and daft people going along with it. If you want to use them when you eat your fish fingers, you just go right ahead😂. I have a feeling Betjemin wrote an unpleasant sneering poem about them - says more about him than about users of fish knives.

He did. Great poet, writer and raconteur  - but an appalling snob! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Small world,my uncle was a coalman in a place called Crowfield just outside Ipswich.I think he used to sell on the black market.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

The difference of course is that places like Canada know that they will have snow every year,  and therefore it makes economic sense to have all the necessary equipment in place. It would be nonsensical for Stoke to have 100 snow ploughs ready to spring  into action on the off chance of two or three days of snow every other year.

Our gritters and snow ploughs have names and you can track them on the roads and motorways to see what has been cleared. You see the little yellow plough and the name above it eg

Sir Salter Scott

Grittie McVitie

Plougher  of Scotland

Luke Snowwalker

Snobie wan Kenobie

gritty gritty bang bang

Walter the Salter

sub zero

etc etc, generally cheesy names selected and a bit of fun.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Then there's the massacring of the 'ing' sound, as in sayin', thinkin' etc. Beth Rigby and Priti Patel are both guilty of this one and Wiki tells me that Ms Rigby is a graduate of the University of Cambridge, so it's nowt to do with intelligence or education.

That one is my personal bug bear.  Thankfully the Home Secretary is not often called upon to speak because the speakin, talkin is so annoying I start to count them. 

Any  verbal tick is annoying if frequent enough. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We know Crowfield. My wife had family there, decades ago. Nice little village. 

LOL,is there anywhere you haven't been, you'll have to write a guidebook of the UK.Seriously though my Aunt in Poplar was evacuated there in the war and met a local bloke.Visited a few times as a kid.Cheers,Brian.

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

LOL,is there anywhere you haven't been, you'll have to write a guidebook of the UK.Seriously though my Aunt in Poplar was evacuated there in the war and met a local bloke.Visited a few times as a kid.Cheers,Brian.

Don’t know Poplar too well. Rotherhithe, however.......when the docks were still there.......😉

Love those snowplough names!

What a wet miserable day we woke to.  Stayed awful till about 2.30, then we had blue sky, white clouds and warmth till sunset.  Crazy!

No news from the deep south.  I have memories of 1963 but nothing to add to those already posted.  There was a weather event much more recently (1990’s?) when a heavy snowfall arrived with very strong winds and driving became more like travelling through the canyons.  Snowdrifts like this emoji 🌊 but roads were passable.  Quite eerie, with a snow ceiling above you on clear-ish roads

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That one is my personal bug bear.  Thankfully the Home Secretary is not often called upon to speak because the speakin, talkin is so annoying I start to count them. 

Any  verbal tick is annoying if frequent enough. 

More of an affectation than a tick, I'd say!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

People from Southampton never pronounce it that way it's Sa-thampton.

And people from Manchester pronounce it wrong it's Manchister and Winchester is Winchister. But I do call Chester Chester not Chister so maybe it's me.

Michelle is Southampton born and bred and doesn't say Sa thampton, nor do our daughters, but I have a work colleague who does, so I suppose you are partially right. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle is Southampton born and bred and doesn't say Sa thampton, nor do our daughters, but I have a work colleague who does, so I suppose you are partially right. 

Andy 

So was my late husband, and he didn't either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnnieC said:

I'm not a slave to 'fashionable' trends of any kind. I know what I like and that's it. Dad's mum was a bit uppercrust and used them, also napkins and side plates at every meal. I hated visiting her. It was always 'Avril, sit up straight, don't slouch' or 'Avril, young ladies just don't do that' I'm surprised my tongue didn't fall off, it was always being stuck out😛

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

After some feedback I'll change my statement from 'People from Southampton never pronounce it that way it's Sa-thampton' TO 'Most people in Southampton pronounce it Southampton but a few say Sathampton' 🙂

I must admit though that if someone asks me specifically where I was born I would say Southampton but in general conversation it's reverts to Sathampton.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm not a slave to 'fashionable' trends of any kind. I know what I like and that's it. Dad's mum was a bit uppercrust and used them, also napkins and side plates at every meal. I hated visiting her. It was always 'Avril, sit up straight, don't slouch' or 'Avril, young ladies just don't do that' I'm surprised my tongue didn't fall off, it was always being stuck out😛

Avril

I know, you're far too sensible and it all sounds very Hyancinth Bucket (sorry, Bouquet). At least your Grandmother didn't use serviettes and I hope she never sat on a settee in the lounge😂.

Do other countries have all these odd complications?

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

You mean Surrey docks that are nowhere near Surrey.

East India dock is also a long way from whatever Calcutta is called. Canary Wharf?, And I doubt the Marquis of Granby ever had a pint in Wapping.

29 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I know, you're far too sensible and it all sounds very Hyancinth Bucket (sorry, Bouquet). At least your Grandmother didn't use serviettes and I hope she never sat on a settee in the lounge😂.

Do other countries have all these odd complications?

Interesting question. I wonder?

I’ll ask the butler. He’s in the drawing room preparing the sofa, now the napkins have been cleared away from the dining hall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1