P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, SeaJane said:

Just heard that our niece is quite poorly and has tested positive for COVID-19. She is a primary school teacher in Essex and apparently her school has quite a large outbreak. She is in her 30s and very fit and active, but nevertheless we are concerned for her. 

So sorry to hear this, hope she recovers well.

Anyone I have heard of with it seems to be getting it from a school child. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Without hesitation, apartment conversions, depending on location. You and I probably both know the Lincoln one, and it’s perfect, either for students or for more general use.

Far too much retail space now, far too little accommodation for people. The perfect match, subject to some changes in planning law, some of which are already here.

European cities like Amsterdam very successfully combine shopping and residential. We should do the same. Benefits all round.

Town centre accommodation is fine for major cities which have large areas devoted to cafes, bars and restaurants a lot of which are semi covered, but the UK climate does not as easily lend itself to the Alfresco dining that is seen in many European cities, and our smaller cities do not have the hospitality demand for them to justify purpose built weatherproof dining. As a result there is unlikely to be the same demand for town centre living as in the major cities.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I used to take the same approach, Avril. Until I realised that unless you have, or agree to have, a smart meter, some of the cheapest tariffs aren’t available to you. 

Never fear young Harry😉 I have a low fixed tariff until  next February, then I renegotiate. I not been disappointed yet🤞

Avril

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Never fear young Harry😉 I have a low fixed tariff until  next February, then I renegotiate. I not been disappointed yet🤞

Avril

You and me both, Avril. People’s Energy here, and there’s nothing at the moment anywhere near it on price to replace it. Hoping for some energy price falls over the next few weeks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Snooooooow.️.

Minus 1 and white outside. First snows of this winter.

Love it , that's when everyone's gardens look nice .:classic_smile:

Snow reminds me of the time the Mrs wanted a real tree from a Christmas tree farm .

We were looking for a suitable tree for a good hour trudging through the snow.

Mrs Kalos finally gave up and settled for a plain one without the decorations on it. :classic_unsure: 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SeaJane said:

Just heard that our niece is quite poorly and has tested positive for COVID-19. She is a primary school teacher in Essex and apparently her school has quite a large outbreak. She is in her 30s and very fit and active, but nevertheless we are concerned for her. 

Wishing her and her family all the best. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Snooooooow.️.

Oh we just LOVE the snow ------ I wish we could have some down here. Enjoy

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You and me both, Avril. People’s Energy here, and there’s nothing at the moment anywhere near it on price to replace it. Hoping for some energy price falls over the next few weeks!

That's the worry Harry, my tariff is well below anything that's being offered now, however it's not due for renewal until August when hopefully prices might be lower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Snooooooow.️.

You might be lucky and have a white christmas. I'm so jealous, I'd love a white christmas☃️

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You might be lucky and have a white christmas. I'm so jealous, I'd love a white christmas☃️

Avril

When I was young they happened most years. Not so much over recent years. We have had quite a bit of heavy frost which makes it look ‘white”. Lovely to look at, a pain to travel through.

• Like 5

Ten years ago was a good snow storm around here but the classic one was 

when I was aged 7 and we had a belter back in 1963.

So did the rest of the UK that year :classic_unsure:

Just been watching a program on BBC 4  showing how bad it was back then .

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, kalos said:

I remember that year well. Walking to school and back, my parents didn't beleave in letting us to stay at home however bad the weather and the schools didn't close like they do now.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Snooooooow.️.

I like the snow, everything looks so clean and fresh.

I remember as children walking up to my grandparents in the snow at Christmas (I lived in Middlesex then) and being allowed to walk in the road as there was no traffic, and nothing came to a standstill - school was still open, buses ran, etc.  The winter before we moved down here it being exceptionally cold (1987) and would snow, froze then snow again making the pavements icy and pot holed due to the thawing and freezing, pulling the buggy as I walked the children to and from school - a two mile round trip. The last snow we had down here was two years ago and I fell and broke my elbow. 

They are forecasting  a possiblity of snow over the moors in the next day or so, but I doubt we'll get any thing down here, but we all know how accurate forecasts can be!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, kalos said:

I was 7 then too. We had moved house from the (supposedly)cold north of the UK to Essex(supposedly)warmer , but at that age snow was exciting, the deeper the better!(particularly if it meant school was closed)Nowadays I prefer snow to be on a Christmas card!

• Like 3

I love snow too , I lived in Canada for 3 years and it always started to snow come Halloween time and lasted until end of March , waist deep and -25 plus the cars got hooked up for the night to keep a heater running and when going to the shops you plugged your car in so it didn’t freeze up and everything stayed open and schools too,  6 months of snow and 6 months of sun .

Kalos I also watched Chris Packham to night on bbc it was very bad then I’m glad I was only 2 at the time and don’t remember any of it 😊 it was very hard going for them all 

• Like 2

In 1963 I was a apprentice attending a training school in Derbyshire, we had a 10 mile bus ride each morning.

I well remember about 6 of us jumping up and down on the back seat to get traction on the snow covered hills, today they would just stop running.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

In 1963 I was a apprentice attending a training school in Derbyshire, we had a 10 mile bus ride each morning.

I well remember about 6 of us jumping up and down on the back seat to get traction on the snow covered hills, today they would just stop running.

It's funny all of you remembering large snowfalls in 1963, I only remember the freezing fogs of the winter of 1962/3 here in W Yorkshire, it lasted from November all the way through to the end of February, lots of icy roads but due to freezing fog rather than snow

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

The only Debenhams stores that I’m familiar with are slap bang in the middle of shopping centres (Telford., Wrexham and Carmarthen) and I don’t think that domestic use would suit those premises. 

The Telford one won’t be converted in apartments don’t think anyone would want to live in a shopping mall. 

could be a few more empty units if Arcadia go they have 3 units in Telford,

Not looking good for high st with Bon Marche going into administration for 3rd time in 8 years, second time in 12 months, plus Edinburgh Woollen Mills last month. There are too many high st stores loaded with debt after various takeovers, mergers & buyouts, if the economy struggles then these are immediately at risk. Debenhams had a positive balance of £100m before it’s buyout about 15 years ago, when it came back to the market a few years later wax loaded with £1.4m debt, it’s no wonder it has struggle since.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I was 10 years old at time of 1962/3 snowfall it started Boxing Day and snow on ground until March. I remember walking to school which wasn’t far away from where I lived, the council, had a cut a path through it, which made it taller than I was. Got to school, the loos were frozen as well as the milk, for a week we had to use the loos in the pub next door.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The Telford one won’t be converted in apartments don’t think anyone would want to live in a shopping mall. 

could be a few more empty units if Arcadia go they have 3 units in Telford,

Not looking good for high st with Bon Marche going into administration for 3rd time in 8 years, second time in 12 months, plus Edinburgh Woollen Mills last month. There are too many high st stores loaded with debt after various takeovers, mergers & buyouts, if the economy struggles then these are immediately at risk. Debenhams had a positive balance of £100m before it’s buyout about 15 years ago, when it came back to the market a few years later wax loaded with £1.4m debt, it’s no wonder it has struggle since.

Unless people stop buying online,  the High Street is dead, unless you want a coffee, look in a charity shop, or buy a house. 

I know these are difficult times, but unless you have no choice, please shop local. By all means buy your toilet rolls from Tesco online, but you are not going to die from CV19 by buying a cauliflower from your local greengrocer.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It's funny all of you remembering large snowfalls in 1963, I only remember the freezing fogs of the winter of 1962/3 here in W Yorkshire, it lasted from November all the way through to the end of February, lots of icy roads but due to freezing fog rather than snow

That's strange,  the snow was really bad and lasted for months even the sea froze in places.

It was the worst winter since 1947 and that was one of the worst ever on record.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kalos said:

I watched that and thoroughly enjoyed it (apart from the number of animals dying as a result) - I was ten and remember the winter of 1963 very fondly.

• Like 4