P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

22 hours ago, kalos said:

Ten years ago was a good snow storm around here but the classic one was 

when I was aged 7 and we had a belter back in 1963.

So did the rest of the UK that year :classic_unsure:

Just been watching a program on BBC 4  showing how bad it was back then .

Is that why I was born in 1964?! 😆

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interesting question. I wonder?

I’ll ask the butler. He’s in the drawing room preparing the sofa, now the napkins have been cleared away from the dining hall.

Thank you. Mine's busy ironing tomorrow's newspapers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2020 at 8:51 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ll be going to Hempstead next Monday for my flu jab. I’ve got an early appointment, so I’m hoping it’ll be fairly quiet.

Hi Dermotsgirl

i went to Boots for my flu jab this evening. The chemist that served me said that they weren’t providing free jabs for over 50’s. I told her I’d been told otherwise on the phone. She checked the system and discovered they are doing them for free. So if they say the same to you, ask them to check 😊

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Hi Dermotsgirl

i went to Boots for my flu jab this evening. The chemist that served me said that they weren’t providing free jabs for over 50’s. I told her I’d been told otherwise on the phone. She checked the system and discovered they are doing them for free. So if they say the same to you, ask them to check 😊

Looking at your photo, she probably thought you were 15 (I think we've had this conversation before)😊

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Looking at your photo, she probably thought you were 15 (I think we've had this conversation before)😊

Thank you 😊 the chemist looked young so she probably thought I was ancient 😂

When I was a child I had a family friend who I called Auntie Nanny, I saw much more of her than my Nan, I remember thinking she was very old, I used to sit on her knee, stroking her lovely soft ‘old lady skin‘  recently I discovered that back then she younger than I am now 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

recently I discovered that back then she younger than I am now

When I was about 14/15 I went to a family party and someone mentioned one lady's age.  I told her she had weathered well

Since I've grown up I still go red when I think about it...... She was 32!!!!!!😚

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Hi Dermotsgirl

Thanks for letting me know - glad you have been ‘done’.

It’s weird that she didn’t know that the over 50s were free this year - makes you wonder if they’ve been charging everybody else! 

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Thanks for letting me know - glad you have been ‘done’.

It’s weird that she didn’t know that the over 50s were free this year - makes you wonder if they’ve been charging everybody else! 

I think she knew under 50’s were eligible for a free jab but she didn’t think Boots were providing the free service. She initially said it would count as a private vaccination which would incur a charge.

• Like 1

I have just spent the last hour on the phone, David's sister rang me (she didn't want to take to her brother).  Is anyone else feeling like they are missing the sound of someone's voice that they feel that they need to speak to them ? I am happy to keep in touch by email but my s-i-l said that she wanted a  real conversation with someone other than her husband, sons or daughter's-in-law.  We have agreed that she will organise a zoom  meeting on Boxing Day because we won't be able to descend on her house Boxing Day this  year.  I now feel awful because I speak to my sisters daily but had assumed that David's sisters weekly would do the same but the younger one is a nurse so obviously too busy to ring her sister.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I think she knew under 50’s were eligible for a free jab but she didn’t think Boots were providing the free service. She initially said it would count as a private vaccination which would incur a charge.

Can I just mention that Boots are having financial issues at the moment. Closing stores and reducing staff etc so that could be why. I changed our repeat scripts to another pharmacy because they never had everything in stock and I kept having to go back two or three times to pick our meds up in bits. They did offer to deliver them though.  At £5 a time. 😏

Avril

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Can I just mention that Boots are having financial issues at the moment. Closing stores and reducing staff etc so that could be why. I changed our repeat scripts to another pharmacy because they never had everything in stock and I kept having to go back two or three times to pick our meds up in bits. They did offer to deliver them though.  At £5 a time. 😏

Avril

Boots!  Don't get me going about that lot. 

American owned, but giving everyone the impression that it's British through and through, history of serious tax avoidance over recent years, cheating money from the NHS that feeds it, poorly paid staff, pharmacies not properly staffed, not paying rent on its stores and refusing to negotiate with landlords.  I could go on - but better not.

Haven't bought anything there for years - it's another Sports Direct for me.  💩💩💩

• Like 3

11 hours ago, zap99 said:

East India dock is also a long way from whatever Calcutta is called. Canary Wharf?, And I doubt the Marquis of Granby ever had a pint in Wapping.

Don't be such a NIMBY, they aint gonna move them now.What is it about Surrey in those days that they avoided.Like the Oval.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We both walked in our little local Boots the other day and they done us straight away.It was my OH first flu jab so I enquired about the pneumonia jab that goes with it and they said that would be 70quid as it's not included,strange.

12 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Thank you. Mine's busy ironing tomorrow's newspapers.

And talking of newspapers, here's a wonderful piece by Henry Deedes. Pop a peg on your nose, Harry, it's from the Daily Wail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9016103/HENRY-DEEDES-witnesses-Education-Secretary-causing-diplomatic-carnage.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

We both walked in our little local Boots the other day and they done us straight away.It was my OH first flu jab so I enquired about the pneumonia jab that goes with it and they said that would be 70quid as it's not included,strange.

I was told the pneumonia jab would be about£70(which I declined!) Apparently it is slightly different to the jab the NHS provide(it protects you from additional  variations of pneumonia )so I will wait until next year and will try to get it at GP's

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

And talking of newspapers, here's a wonderful piece by Henry Deedes. Pop a peg on your nose, Harry, it's from the Daily Wail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9016103/HENRY-DEEDES-witnesses-Education-Secretary-causing-diplomatic-carnage.html

Annie, I’ve had to disinfect the iPad now! And bleach it. Just as well there was some left over after following Diaper Don’s earlier Coronavirus advice.

The gaffe was serious though. Unbelievable that anyone in that position should come out with such crass schoolboy nonsense.

I wonder where he learned that skill?  😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Annie, I’ve had to disinfect the iPad now! And bleach it. Just as well there was some left over after following Diaper Don’s earlier Coronavirus advice.

The gaffe was serious though. Unbelievable that anyone in that position should come out with such crass schoolboy nonsense.

I wonder where he learned that skill?  😇

As if that was not bad enough, later on yesterday, at a Downing Street press briefing, he was asked whether Eton College should become co-educational. He replied that he thought that would be a very good idea. Maybe not the wisest move considering the educational background of some current and recent prime ministers and senior ministers. Seems like ‘taxi for Gavin’ in the new year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

I was told the pneumonia jab would be about£70(which I declined!) Apparently it is slightly different to the jab the NHS provide(it protects you from additional  variations of pneumonia )so I will wait until next year and will try to get it at GP's

Next time your talking with your GP it's worth asking if you are due the jab.

I never asked but when I went to our medical practice for my Flu jab I was asked,

Would I like to have the pneumonia jab at the clinic a week later? Which I did.

They explained it was a one off jab and was free of charge .

Any chemist trying to get  £70 out of me would have been told where they could stick it 

and it would not be in part of my arm .:classic_unsure:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pneumococcal-vaccination/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

I never asked but when I went to our medical practice for my Flu jab I was asked,

Any chemist trying to get  £70 out of me would have been told where they could stick it 

I asked my GP whether I would have the pneumonia jab at the same time as my flu jab and she said she didn't know! When my husband turned 65 he was given his flu jab and asked straight away if he wanted the pneumonia jab which he had but I wasn't given the option.I'm not sure if its because I don't turn 65 until next year(but before end of March which apparently is the deciding factor)or just because they didnt have time etc because they knew it was the first time I had received the flu jab.My twin sister had real difficulty getting her flu jab because she is only 64 and it is only when she insisted that I had been given mine because of cut off date for turning 65 that they reluctantly agreed.She wasnt offered the pneumonia jab either (different health authority)

6 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I asked my GP whether I would have the pneumonia jab at the same time as my flu jab and she said she didn't know! When my husband turned 65 he was given his flu jab and asked straight away if he wanted the pneumonia jab which he had but I wasn't given the option.I'm not sure if its because I don't turn 65 until next year(but before end of March which apparently is the deciding factor)or just because they didnt have time etc because they knew it was the first time I had received the flu jab.My twin sister had real difficulty getting her flu jab because she is only 64 and it is only when she insisted that I had been given mine because of cut off date for turning 65 that they reluctantly agreed.She wasnt offered the pneumonia jab either (different health authority)

Going just by age looks like you would not qualify until next year Anne .

Unless you have any of these conditions  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/when-is-pneumococcal-vaccine-needed/

If not, then ask as they arrange next years Flu Jab, as you then qualify for it :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, kalos said:

The cardiac team asked my GP to do a diabetes blood test,I was 63 at that time in September.

The nurse after taking my blood asked if I wanted a pneumonia jab and gave me it saying it was a lifetime one off jab.

She then booked me in for a flu jab which I had several weeks ago.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

I think the pneumonia jab is age related bro, unless you have other health issues. Frank had his and a shingles jab when he was 72 and went for his flu jab, but they didn't do mine until the following year.

Sis

• Like 1