P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

All I can say is thank goodness for that!  Just hope we don't do a trade deal with the USA on food.  Don't want their contaminated food over here, full of hormones and antibiotics.  Can't quite see why we need to import their chicken anyway.

Many who have been to US and Canada, Caribbean etc have eaten that food, not many reports of problems. If Tesco import something like US Chlorinated chicken it will be required to be labelled as such. If folk don't want to buy it, they won't. If they don't, Tesco will stop importing it. Allowing something to be sold, don't require people to consume it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Waiting for an analysis of those 2000 pages once they're published. What will be interesting will be the inevitable comparison between the deal we had before, Theresa May's deal and the actual deal.

Good point. If the deal does turn out to be worse than May's deal, Boris will have to explain why he voted against a deal that was better than the one we have now.

Just now, zap99 said:

If Tesco import something like US Chlorinated chicken it will be required to be labelled as such.

Not if it is, say, a chicken burger bought in a take away food outlet, or a chicken balti in an Indian restaurant. The size of the catering market for chicken is enormous, with very little legislation relating to point of origin. 

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Good point. If the deal does turn out to be worse than May's deal, Boris will have to explain why he voted against a deal that was better than the one we have now.

Wasn't May's " deal " simply the withdrawal agreement, not a free trade deal?.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Not if it is, say, a chicken burger bought in a take away food outlet, or a chicken balti in an Indian restaurant. The size of the catering market for chicken is enormous, with very little legislation relating to point of origin. 

We can write our own rules now. I am more concerned not to eat halal meat than Chlorinated chicken, that I have probably eaten plenty of time with no effect, no effect no, what was I saying?🤣

• Haha 1

Have to say, I am very careful now about what I buy.  I use my local butcher for meat, although mostly chicken these days.  All their meat is from local farms.  I also buy rose veal from a farm in East Devon.  He delivers.  I also check other packaging to make sure it is UK.  Just wish we could stop buying other non-food items from flaming China.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We can write our own rules now. I am more concerned not to eat halal meat than Chlorinated chicken, that I have probably eaten plenty of time with no effect, no effect no, what was I saying?🤣

Chicken is chlorinated in the US to make it safe to eat, because the chickens are reared in awful conditions that are illegal in the EU, thus giving US producers a cost saving.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We priced up the APEX (if she is anything like her sister EDGE she will be a stunner) and have found that she will be in Southampton the same day we sail on Ventura.

Now Ventura was our least favourite ship but when we think we have paid £3,280 (approx) for an aft cabin on her and Apex is coming out at over £6,000 we will keep telling one another that we could have 2 cruises for the price of one when we see her and not have ship envy.

I love Celebrity, but there are limits!  In January whilst on our last cruise, I booked a Caribbean cruise on Apex for January 2022 with a US agent I have used before.  The cost of Concierge, including drinks and $150 OBC (but not gratuities) was  £1920 ($2605) for the two of us.  I checked the AI price on the UK website a month ago and the AI price was £3878 and no OBC - yes about double!!

Recently I was looking at Canaries cruises for 2022 and unsurprisingly, booked P&O.  We've had two P&O cruises which we enjoyed, maybe not quite so much as Celebrity, but we were happy enough.  Going forward I think I may only book Celebrity if there are last minute deals to be had, unless the pricing structure changes.  I don't even get good use of a drinks package!

Is this sad hanging around on a cruise forum on Christmas Eve 😄?  No! ..... got to dream right?  Happy Christmas everyone!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Chicken is chlorinated in the US to make it safe to eat, because the chickens are reared in awful conditions that are illegal in the EU, thus giving US producers a cost saving.. 

We don't have to buy it. Plenty of cruel animal welfare practices in the EU. Veal crates, sow pens etc. We can now lobby to have those products banned in UK. Freedom to do as we like.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Waiting for an analysis of those 2000 pages once they're published. What will be interesting will be the inevitable comparison between the deal we had before, Theresa May's deal and the actual deal.

Boris said it is about 500 pages. Maybe there are 1500 which he has not seen yet. I guess this deal will be better than Theresa May’s deal because it will inevitably be world beating, just like everything else. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I love Celebrity, but there are limits!  In January whilst on our last cruise, I booked a Caribbean cruise on Apex for January 2022 with a US agent I have used before.  The cost of Concierge, including drinks and $150 OBC (but not gratuities) was  £1920 ($2605) for the two of us.  I checked the AI price on the UK website a month ago and the AI price was £3878 and no OBC - yes about double!!

Recently I was looking at Canaries cruises for 2022 and unsurprisingly, booked P&O.  We've had two P&O cruises which we enjoyed, maybe not quite so much as Celebrity, but we were happy enough.  Going forward I think I may only book Celebrity if there are last minute deals to be had, unless the pricing structure changes.  I don't even get good use of a drinks package!

Is this sad hanging around on a cruise forum on Christmas Eve 😄?  No! ..... got to dream right?  Happy Christmas everyone!

No, it is called relaxing and continuing to dream of our cruises ------- 

😉

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

No, it is called relaxing and continuing to dream of our cruises ------- 

😉

With Covid19 and all the cancellation frustrations I have not been able to dream of cruising.

Roll on the vaccinations so we all can start to dream again.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Many who have been to US and Canada, Caribbean etc have eaten that food, not many reports of problems. If Tesco import something like US Chlorinated chicken it will be required to be labelled as such. If folk don't want to buy it, they won't. If they don't, Tesco will stop importing it. Allowing something to be sold, don't require people to consume it.

I agree completely.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Have to say, I am very careful now about what I buy.  I use my local butcher for meat, although mostly chicken these days.  All their meat is from local farms.  I also buy rose veal from a farm in East Devon.  He delivers.  I also check other packaging to make sure it is UK.  Just wish we could stop buying other non-food items from flaming China.

Even while we where in the EU, I always bought British meat, dairy and fruit and vegetables as much as absolutely possible. Just like you Jean, I found it annoying that our hands were tied when. buying non-food items.

Avril

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Even while we where in the EU, I always bought British meat, dairy and fruit and vegetables as much as absolutely possible. Just like you Jean, I found it annoying that our hands were tied when. buying non-food items.

Avril

I am not sure our hands were tied when buying non-food items. The reduction in manufacturing industry in UK cannot be solely laid at the door of the EU. My guess is that from next year, we will buy as many non-food items from countries such as China as we currently do, more’s the pity. We will buy from any country we have a trade agreement with as cheaply as possible, just like we always have done.

• Like 5

I'm not sure what's happening with Brexit.. 

I'm not really sure what's happening with Corona... 

It's Christmas Eve, I'm eating and drinking too much for the next few days.. 

I will worry about the rest when this important stuff is finished... 😊

Merry Christmas everyone... 

Andy 

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I just love our village.  We were all invited outside into the street, socially distanced of course, with a candle and sang 2 carols.  It's a lovely community.  We all took our dogs as well.  merry Christmas all.

Merry Christmas to you Jean and your family.

Graham.

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I'm not sure what's happening with Brexit.. 

I'm not really sure what's happening with Corona... 

It's Christmas Eve, I'm eating and drinking too much for the next few days.. 

I will worry about the rest when this important stuff is finished... 😊

Merry Christmas everyone... 

Andy 

🍺🍺🍺🍺

Cheers Andy and Michelle too.

Hope you both have a merry Christmas.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 1

Wishing everyone on here a Merry Christmas.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day, as much as they can, under the present circumstances!

I would also like to thank you all for making me feel part of the community.

To you all🥂

Pam

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

All I can say is thank goodness for that!  Just hope we don't do a trade deal with the USA on food.  Don't want their contaminated food over here, full of hormones and antibiotics.  Can't quite see why we need to import their chicken anyway.

It's quite possible it is far more healthy than the far east chicken that the EU  allows to be imported.

• Like 1