P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 minutes ago, kalos said:

Anyone else remember when the Chippy's sold very little ?

Back in the 1960's our local chippy sold Fish , chips ,fish cake and mushy peas.

That was it , no trays , it came served /wrapped in newspaper.

The only thing you could get extra was scraps pieces of batter left over from  the

fryer as a by-product of frying fish. They were free so very popular with the kids .

Never seem to hear anyone asking for them or even offered them now.:classic_unsure:

Big jars of pickled onions too. Our local chippy would pour the onion vinegar into bowl with a spoon so you use it on your fish and chips. No wooden forks for a while they came later. That was the beauty of the chippy,  fish & chips eaten out of newspaper using your fingers, while  being walked home after an evening out. Lovely memories of mine and Frank's courting days. Aah🥰

Avril

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, kalos said:

Anyone else remember when the Chippy's sold very little ?

Back in the 1960's our local chippy sold Fish , chips ,fish cake and mushy peas.

That was it , no trays , it came served /wrapped in newspaper.

The only thing you could get extra was scraps pieces of batter left over from  the

fryer as a by-product of frying fish. They were free so very popular with the kids .

Never seem to hear anyone asking for them or even offered them now.:classic_unsure:

In London it was called crackling. Fourpence of chips and crackling please. Very polite us Londoners was.🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Big jars of pickled onions too. Our local chippy would pour the onion vinegar into bowl with a spoon so you use it on your fish and chips. No wooden forks for a while they came later. That was the beauty of the chippy,  fish & chips eaten out of newspaper using your fingers, while  being walked home after an evening out. Lovely memories of mine and Frank's courting days. Aah🥰

Avril

When I walked DW back to her house we often got some chips. Occasionally a Wimpy. We won't mention why🤣.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Loved the wooden forks you used with your newspaper ---- yummy. 

Remember many a happy holiday in Goodrington / Paignton and there was a fab fish and chip shop just past the harbour. They were always confused when  we asked for mushy peas and we were horrified when they gave us peas that had come from a tin ........

They still give you those tiny wooden forks up here.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Yes of course we do sometimes - can't see why that is so odd ... it does taste very very nice, particularly if there is a Wright's Pie on the plate too 🙂

I don’t suppose many outside Staffs / Cheshire have ever had a Wrights pie. Their loss. Steak and kidney is my favourite. Their custard slices to follow the pies are always worth a try as well. 🙂

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I don’t suppose many outside Staffs / Cheshire have ever had a Wrights pie. Their loss. Steak and kidney is my favourite. Their custard slices to follow the pies are always worth a try as well. 🙂

Hubby is now in heaven ---- no not bad news ----- I read him the comment about custard slices. He suggests you also try the apple turnover 😉

The salads are nice ---- have those in a working week to save the calories for the weekend !!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kalos said:

Dykelands Road  for us :classic_love:

Queens cafe is next door to Minchellas on Dykelands road.

I knew Tony Minchella for years before he died and he cooked in almond oil so always got our chips there.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

That comment really made me chuckle. I'm the youngest of 3 girls, and when mum got angry at me she would shout Barbara, Patricia, Avril. If I'd had more siblings I would have had more time to escape😄

Avril

My brothers are Paul and Stephen and often got call Ste-Paul or Por-Stephen, as she would start to say one name and realise she had the wrong one. I’m the only girl so always got called by my full name.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hubby is now in heaven ---- no not bad news ----- I read him the comment about custard slices. He suggests you also try the apple turnover 😉

The salads are nice ---- have those in a working week to save the calories for the weekend !!

Believe me, I have had several of their apple turnovers and they are excellent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Remember the huge salt cellars they used, the ones with lots of 1/4 inch holes in the lid 😁

Do I :classic_ohmy: A snow storm on chips that you had to wash off with a gallon of vinegar :classic_unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That comment really made me chuckle. I'm the youngest of 3 girls, and when mum got angry at me she would shout Barbara, Patricia, Avril. If I'd had more siblings I would have had more time to escape😄

Avril

I was the youngest of 7...

I had plenty of time to run... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3