P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I remember my mother being told by my English teacher that she had no idea how I got an English Literature o'level as I was never present in a single class.  Little did she know I have near photographic memory and would skim read the night before the exam!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Funny innit, I'm always pleased when Christmas is over and it's January.  It feels like on the way to spring for me.  I used to enjoy it until it started in September 😞

I hate the overlong build up to Christmas but not Christmas itself. I don’t mind February because it’s short and I always think March brings Spring! 
I think it goes back to my teenage years when we always had exams in January and often lots of snow too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I remember my mother being told by my English teacher that she had no idea how I got an English Literature o'level as I was never present in a single class.  Little did she know I have near photographic memory and would skim read the night before the exam!

Lucky you Jean! 

• Like 1

Yes, just a shame I didn't realize until I was well over 50 that not everyone has photographic memory.  It has helped no end of times.   I once had to write down a chassis number off a car and then go to the garage.  When I got there, I had left the number on the table at home, so I suddenly saw a picture of what I wrote and I read it off to the amazed garage man. 

• Like 2

Josy - Sorry to hear you have been suffering with a migraine. I hope you are feeling better. I know from experience how deliberating they can be as I too suffer - touch wood I haven't had one for a while 🤞

Graham - Fire looks warm and cosy and hope you manage to stay warm without your central heating until Monday.  Our boiler was condemned and had to have our heating system changed, luckily for us it was October so not too cold. Stay warm.

Pam

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

No.

They were thin standing oil filled but electrical operated radiators.

Graham, do you have emergency cover on your house insurance? If so, they should come out before Monday - my heating went off just before Christmas and was fixed by the emergency cover within 6 hours, as promised in their policy booklet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Well it  has been snowing here and it is just beautiful. Just to relaxing and peaceful. Lovely

Same here , earlier today though our postman went head over heels with letters

flying through the air . He looked like a scene out of Home Alone , bless him .

Come to think of it I bet he sounded like Marv & Harry too .:classic_unsure:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Lucky you!

My memory is horrendous, I'm hoping it's temporary middle aged lady brain-fog 😬

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Very nice! I thought it would be all over by Easter a few weeks ago but now the vaccine’s turned into a bit of a mess I’m not so sure!

I know. I thought our June cruise was looking hopeful a week ago, but now...........?

Avril

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I know. I thought our June cruise was looking hopeful a week ago, but now...........?

Avril

Yes, I'm starting to doubt that our June cruise will go ahead.

Just in case it's cancelled we also  booked the same cruise in 2022, in May rather than June. I'd rather 2021 goes ahead though.

• Like 3

I said earlier that I’ve just scrubbed 2021, for simplicity and to avoid unnecessary hopes up/hopes dashed stress

If everything goes smooth as silk after the inevitable awful few weeks which lie ahead, and UK is pretty much back to full health later in the year, then that’s a great opportunity for everyone to pack their all weather gear and do a Great British Getaway.  Our leisure & hospitality industry really needs it

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I said earlier that I’ve just scrubbed 2021, for simplicity and to avoid unnecessary hopes up/hopes dashed stress

If everything goes smooth as silk after the inevitable awful few weeks which lie ahead, and UK is pretty much back to full health later in the year, then that’s a great opportunity for everyone to pack their all weather gear and do a Great British Getaway.  Our leisure & hospitality industry really needs it

And we won't need to spend our time waffling on here because we have nowt better to do.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I was very lucky.  My GP (at the time) wasn't happy about my constantly elevated BP so sent me to the hospital for a BP monitor thing that I had to wear for about 24 hours.  Following that he got a letter from the cardiology dept.  When he saw me he spent a lot of time telling me about not only the long term effects of high bp on the rest of your body (heart, kidneys, eyesight etc), but also the history of how the relationship between high bp and other ailments was "discovered".  He finished off with explaining that he knew so much about bp and its history because there was a family connection.  That was the last time I saw him, he retired due to ill health a couple of months later.  I've always wondered whether the family connection was that he had high bp himself.  So ever since then I've done whatever the dr tells me re blood pressure.  Thank you Dr B, maybe you've come back for a little while to help out with the pandemic.

I was worried when I was put on BP meds at 36.  My doctor told me that having high BP didn't mean I was sick,  it just had to be lowered to protect the bodies organs and blood vessels and that many healthy sportsmen and athletes also had the same problem. Mine's hereditary.

Avril

• Like 3

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I have a spray for any chest pain but can’t remember the last time I used it. My cholesterol was 6 !! 
I went for the appointment because two friends told me (not knowing I’d had a couple of episodes of pain ) that they both knew ladies in their 50’s seemingly well who died in their sleep! Horrific, it was their hearts but they either had no warning or they’d ignored it.

My stent was done by local anaesthetic going in through my wrist! Absolutely amazing technology. I’m so glad I kept that appointment!

Your 2 Friends story potentially saved your life.

My stent is in the circumflex artery at the back of the heart which doesn't give any or little warning symtoms and one of our neighbours mam's died in her sleep aged 50 with the same thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Josy - Sorry to hear you have been suffering with a migraine. I hope you are feeling better. I know from experience how deliberating they can be as I too suffer - touch wood I haven't had one for a while 🤞

Graham - Fire looks warm and cosy and hope you manage to stay warm without your central heating until Monday.  Our boiler was condemned and had to have our heating system changed, luckily for us it was October so not too cold. Stay warm.

Pam

Thanks Pam.

26 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Booked a week in Cornwall this morning. It's for May . As it will all be over by Easter it should be fine. A nice warm up before our Alaska cruise in June.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Always makes me smile when they ask what level of schooling you had.  Lots of these type of jobs require common sense.  Getting a degree in history doesn't qualify anyone to stick a needle in someone's arm.  

You are so right, I know a number of people who I would prefer to stick a needle into me because they are very practical.  I would hate to be anyone that had to have me vaccinate them, I couldn't even manage to put drops in David's eyes when he had an eye problem I had to ring my mum to come and do it.

4 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I don’t know what happened with that last post- apologies!!!

Not hopeful at all about our Fjords cruise in July. Booked a week in Isle of Wight in August as a back up

Michelle

If that should happen to you again Michelle, simply click on the 3 dots in top right of 

your post and select "Edit"  . This will work for 20 minutes from you posting . :classic_smile:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Booked a week in Cornwall this morning. It's for May . As it will all be over by Easter it should be fine. A nice warm up before our Alaska cruise in June.

We normally  get some good weather here in May.

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

If that should happen to you again Michelle, simply click on the 3 dots in top right of 

your post and select "Edit"  . This will work for 20 minutes from you posting . :classic_smile:

Thank you 

Michelle

• Like 1