P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Same in Italy at the height of the covid.Should be the same here,declare marshall law, end of.

But what did that gain, Italy has similar deaths to us with a lower population? I am asking not criticising as you are in a better position to explain.

• Like 1

Just checked the posts now - it has been an interesting day preparing for the new term !

(If anyone has a clue what is going to happen answers on a postcard addressed to CC please ...)

Lake Garda --- ahhhhhhhhhh. We have stayed in Bardolino once and the weather was terrible (mid August) but we liked the place. Love Sirmione but our favourite place to stay is Riva del Garda. Love to visit Limone, Torbole and Malcesine ------ oh to be there now 🙂

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Just checked the posts now - it has been an interesting day preparing for the new term !

(If anyone has a clue what is going to happen answers on a postcard addressed to CC please ...)

Good luck with the new term however it pans out for you! 

I'm looking out for updates constantly. All our local schools are closed (except for vulnerable children and key workers children, but Early Years settings are still expected to open, in the case of the nursery I am involved with it's on the premises of a primary school that will be closed, many of the same families involved. Seems crazy. The Early Years Alliance is meeting with some top bods tomorrow apparently so hoping that might change.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I'm looking out for updates constantly. All our local schools are closed (except for vulnerable children and key workers children, but Early Years settings are still expected to open, in the case of the nursery I am involved with it's on the premises of a primary school that will be closed, many of the same families involved. Seems crazy. The Early Years Alliance is meeting with some top bods tomorrow apparently so hoping that might change.

Thanks and all the best to you too.

I don't want to be political on here (I could write a book) so will just pray that anyone involved in education in any way at all - children, staff, (staff members' own families), parents, governors and the wider community - will remain safe. I wish you all well over the coming weeks and months.

One thing I will say is that those of us in education are doing all that we can to do our jobs (the job description is long) as well as doing all that we can to keep everyone listed above safe and well during this pandemic. We are not the bad guys the press is making us out to be 😞

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I don't want to be political on here (I could write a book) so will just pray that anyone involved in education in any way at all - children, staff, (staff members' own families), parents, governors and the wider community - will remain safe. I wish you all well over the coming weeks and months.

One thing I will say is that those of us in education are doing all that we can to do our jobs (the job description is long) as well as doing all that we can to keep everyone listed above safe and well during this pandemic. We are not the bad guys the press is making us out to be 😞

I don’t doubt that your last paragraph is correct. During my teaching career I saw some amazing teachers but none of us, amazing or not, had to deal with such a situation. I know many professions are trying to do their best to help others in this terrible situation and all deserve our admiration, thanks and support. Teachers are amongst what is a long list. I just wish everybody showed their gratitude by following the restrictions, like most of us do and all of us should. Stay safe everybody as many return to work tomorrow.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I absolutely agree, you do an often thankless job but it is such an important job. 
Stay safe, and sane, if possible 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Don’t worry, most people know that  the people in education are doing a great job in incredibly difficult and challenging circumstances 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Well done Presto.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Take care and stay safe Sarah.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We know you are, and it's impossible to overestimate how difficult it must be in the current situation.  

And not all the press is against you. Just the usual gutter press culprits. 

• Like 5

This was posted earlier by a friend who use to work with my partner at the local nursery.

To all my fellow early years workers who can’t wear PPE throughout the day, who peel crying children off their parents, who comfort children with cuddles, who clean up children after being sneezed and coughed all over, who isolate with children who show symptoms until their parents arrive, who spend all day everyday with little people who can be asymptomatic, who go to work everyday risking their health to look after and care for children whilst parents work throughout this pandemic and get hardly any mention or appreciation and in my opinion are massively forgotten by government in all of this.. you’re all superstars and I’m glad to be part of early years work

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Snap Sarah, I feel your pain, my setting sounds identical to yours. Take care!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Take care and stay safe Sarah.

Thanks Graham. I’m not in day to day contact with the children, I’m merely on a management committee, giving support to our staff who are actually in the nursery. I’m very thankful for all they are doing.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

This was posted earlier by a friend who use to work with my partner at the local nursery.

To all my fellow early years workers who can’t wear PPE throughout the day, who peel crying children off their parents, who comfort children with cuddles, who clean up children after being sneezed and coughed all over, who isolate with children who show symptoms until their parents arrive, who spend all day everyday with little people who can be asymptomatic, who go to work everyday risking their health to look after and care for children whilst parents work throughout this pandemic and get hardly any mention or appreciation and in my opinion are massively forgotten by government in all of this.. you’re all superstars and I’m glad to be part of early years work

Thank you, that sums up our everyday life but we do it for the children 💕

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, nicki-k said:

Snap Sarah, I feel your pain, my setting sounds identical to yours. Take care!

Early Years feels like an overlooked sector at the moment doesn’t it?!

Anyway,  I shall climb off my soapbox, go to bed and see what tomorrow brings 😊

• Like 5

No one thinks the teachers are the bad guys, but your Union officials do seem to be a law unto themselves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

No one thinks the teachers are the bad guys, but your Union officials do seem to be a law unto themselves.

Union doing the job they are meant to do, protecting their members, the members are the Union, without them there would be no Union. 

• Like 4

Certainly not the bad guys, teachers & support staff have my support they have been doing a tremendous job since March. My daughter is a special needs coordinator in a Primary School has kept in touch with all her pupils throughout lockdown online and by phone. 

my next door neighbour is a teacher, was in school during lockdown teaching key workers children as best as they could in the circumstances. 

I was a school governor for almost 10 years, 3 of those as governor covering health & safety in school.

Teachers are easy targets for much of the gutter press, but the hard work and dedication to the the job is recognised by most parents.

Fortunately we gave a local authority which has been extremely supportive to teachers and the wider public throughout the pandemic, they have gone beyond what would normally be expected. 

All I can say is keep up the excellent work and stay safe as possible.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, brian1 said:

Same in Italy at the height of the covid.Should be the same here,declare marshall law, end of.

Do you release what declaring Martial Law would mean, something that has not happened in Britain since 1655, when Cromwell installed 12 Major Generals in 12 regions, that didn’t end well. 

12 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

But what did that gain, Italy has similar deaths to us with a lower population? I am asking not criticising as you are in a better position to explain.

Proper lockdown did work but they made the same mistake as us in the Summer by relaxing and allowing the Northerners to holiday in their traditional Southern resorts.The South in Italy is underfunded and lacking medical infrastructure,so it took hold but is improving.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Do you release what declaring Martial Law would mean, something that has not happened in Britain since 1655, when Cromwell installed 12 Major Generals in 12 regions, that didn’t end well. 

Yeah and we burned witches then as well.Alternative?Answers please.Italy did not declare Martial law but with the army securing the airports and transporting bodies for cremation plus the 4 police forces enforcing lockdown,it wasn't far short of Martial law.

10 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Graham. I’m not in day to day contact with the children, I’m merely on a management committee, giving support to our staff who are actually in the nursery. I’m very thankful for all they are doing.

Whether you are in day to day contact with the children is irrelevant, the teachers that I know say that support is very important from management and parents.

Good luck to all who are going back to work.  Stay safe.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Proper lockdown did work but they made the same mistake as us in the Summer by relaxing and allowing the Northerners to holiday in their traditional Southern resorts.The South in Italy is underfunded and lacking medical infrastructure,so it took hold but is improving.

Hi,just an update.Population Italy 60 mil UK 66 mil.Todays infection stats 14000 positives and 327 deaths,so a lot better than ours at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hi,just an update.Population Italy 60 mil UK 66 mil.Todays infection stats 14000 positives and 327 deaths,so a lot better than ours at the moment.

I quite agree with you Brian, fuerteventura was very strict right from the start you were only allowed out once a week to get your shopping with the military stopping you at every roundabout checkpoint checking you out then stopping you on your way back and checking your shopping receipt, when taking dogs for a walk you were only aloud to go no more than 30 meters from your property, and still now you have to always wear a mask while out walking only to take it off while sitting down at a restaurant or lying on the beach , police driving around all the time wearing mask checking and will fine you , their COVID levels were very low but has risen just recently but still very low .

• Like 3