P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

34 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I now go to Asda. At least 50% cheaper than Specsavers.

We tried that, but returned to Specsavers afterwards.

Asda was indeed a lot cheaper, even more so for the thinner varifocal lenses which they include free but Specsavers charge extra for. But we both had problems with Asda, and so much hassle sorting them out, that we gave up on them the next time.

We were probably just unlucky, and the staff, apart from the ophthalmologist, were deeply unimpressive, but it wasn’t a good experience.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Nice day here, mix of sun and cloud, warm when sun is out, I have been sat out reading for the last hour but it has clouded over again.

It’s grey and chilly down South! 

Battling with my useless work IT today, it was over an hour before I got signed in. *sigh*

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Asda was indeed a lot cheaper, even more so for the thinner varifocal lenses which they include free but Specsavers charge extra for. But we both had problems with Asda, and so much hassle sorting them out, that we gave up on them the next time.

We were probably just unlucky, and the staff, apart from the ophthalmologist, were deeply unimpressive, but it wasn’t a good experience.

We also had problems with Asda Harry so you were not on your own .

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

As is always the case, it's very much down to individual stores. The staff in the opticians in Asda Lincoln were excellent, and much more personable and polite than the rather impersonal staff at Specsavers ( although the actual optician was excellent).

My last glasses from Asda £160 ( expensive frames) whereas specsavers even with basic frames were in excess of £300.

33 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Nice day here, mix of sun and cloud, warm when sun is out, I have been sat out reading for the last hour but it has clouded over again.

Much the same here today. I've managed to get some washing out and it's dried them too. I'm now settled with a salad sarnie, a coffee. It's a hard life😁

Avril

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good luck!  I’m also very keen to get new glasses, as is my wife.  Both still very reluctant to go inside any opticians until infection rates are a lot lower.

It’s not Specsavers is it?  I’d be interested to hear what safety measures are in place.

We did eye tests at Specsavers last autumn, they temp check everyone as you enter and make you use the hand sanitizer, and of course face masks are mandatory.  The waiting area chairs are socially distanced and disinfected after every use, and they have a board with green tick or red cross to signify if it has been sanitized, and all the equipment is sanitised after use.

We felt very safe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

We did eye tests at Specsavers last autumn, they temp check everyone as you enter and make you use the hand sanitizer, and of course face masks are mandatory.  The waiting area chairs are socially distanced and disinfected after every use, and they have a board with green tick or red cross to signify if it has been sanitized, and all the equipment is sanitised after use.

We felt very safe.

At Asda they only allowed one person  into the opticians at a time, so no issues about social distancing !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

At Asda they only allowed one person  into the opticians at a time, so no issues about social distancing !

But presumably in Asda you can wander around indoors, till they are ready for you, whereas Specsavers need to send you out into the rain, if you are early.  Which is what they did to some poor old soul who arrived a bit too early.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But presumably in Asda you can wander around indoors, till they are ready for you, whereas Specsavers need to send you out into the rain, if you are early.  Which is what they did to some poor old soul who arrived a bit too early.

Yes, that's true. To be fair, Asda try and operate an appointment system even for adjustments, so normally you don't have to hang around in the lingerie section for too long!

49 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We felt very safe.

Same here. Last September. Very safe. Also safe when I picked up my new specs. I didn't walk into anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good luck!  I’m also very keen to get new glasses, as is my wife.  Both still very reluctant to go inside any opticians until infection rates are a lot lower.

It’s not Specsavers is it?  I’d be interested to hear what safety measures are in place.

We use Vision Express after a bad experience with Specsavers around 9 years ago. 

After a roundabout route through the shopping centre got to entrance and waited until member a staff called me in, sanitised hands was logged in and told details would be record for Test & Trace purposes. Was directed to a single seat at far end of store near rooms which was sanitised before I sat down. All staff wearing PPE. Had my various tests, eyes in excellent condition according to optician. 

Passed to another member of staff, given tray to put any glasses I had tried on in. 

All the time I was there I felt very safe, there were about 8 other customers in store all wearing masks. 

I left store by separate door £367 lighter in my bank account. I was there just over an hour, the quickest I have ever been 

It felt quite eerie in the centre, H of F still its winter sale posters on it windows, many clothing stores had had their stock removed no doubt to sell online, a bit like a ghost town, weirdly though there were people “window shopping” which the girl dealing with my glasses says is very odd, as there are only banks, part of Boots, opticians, Aldi, M&S and a couple of other places open.

Apparently there is some anger amongst clothing stores in the centre that M&S are selling clothes, they appear to utilising the fact that they have a food outlet within the store and thus qualify under mixed retail ruling. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I hope your medication review went well.

Any response about Atorvastatin?

I had my blood tests yesterday and have a results follow up phone appointment on Monday.

GP upped Ramipril dosage, as BP too high, will review in 6 months, blood tests at end of month to check that increased dosage had no effect in kidneys etc. 

Mentioned Atorvastatin he agreed that it does cause the joint problems for some people, his focus is getting BP down and stabilised, then will look at alternative statins. 

The GP I spoke with is new to the practice and was very helpful and explain in detail how he was going to ensure my treatment was correct.

Spoke with my sister yesterday, my BiL is on the same as me an suffers similar problems. 

The optician after examining photographs of my eyes said blood vessels show no BP proble, I told him my GP had upped dosage yesterday, he then said seems he has it under control.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

GP upped Ramipril dosage, as BP too high, will review in 6 months, blood tests at end of month to check that increased dosage had no effect in kidneys etc. 

Mentioned Atorvastatin he agreed that it does cause the joint problems for some people, his focus is getting BP down and stabilised, then will look at alternative statins. 

The GP I spoke with is new to the practice and was very helpful and explain in detail how he was going to ensure my treatment was correct.

Spoke with my sister yesterday, my BiL is on the same as me an suffers similar problems. 

The optician after examining photographs of my eyes said blood vessels show no BP proble, I told him my GP had upped dosage yesterday, he then said seems he has it under control.

I have been on 6mg perindropril for BP for years.

After my Heart Attack they put me on 2.5mg Bisoprolol as well as 80mg Atorvastatin reduced now to 40mg Atorvastatin.

Not being able to take ibuprofen with this medication hasn't helped.

31 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Lets hope your increase in Ramipril sorts your BP out. My doctor moved my dose up 

to 5mg and decided this would become a bedtime tablet to avoid side effect of 

light headedness/washed out whilst body gets used to the increase   . Everything has

worked out well plus the blood checks as I hope it will for you .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Lets hope your increase in Ramipril sorts your BP out. My doctor moved my dose up 

to 5mg and decided this would become a bedtime tablet to avoid side effect of 

light headedness/washed out whilst body gets used to the increase   . Everything has

worked out well plus the blood checks as I hope it will for you .

He has moved mine the opposite way from evenings to mornings which I am doing gradually over a 5 day period as advised by pharmacist. 

On my second day noticed nothing as yet, other than BP was down this morning. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2