P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The bottom line to this debate is 'You pays your money, and you takes your choice'  We all have our own personal tastes.😎🤓🧐

Avril

I always say ‘you get what you pay for’ 😊

• Like 2

Dull, overcast and much cooler here today. However, it's the first day of Spring tomorrow, and you can see the days are getting longer. We managed to finish pruning the roses yesterday and had a coffee sitting in the garden afterwards. It made a pleasant change. Our youngest daughter (52) has an appointment for her first jab on Thursday, and I'm relieved as she lives with us. Things are begining to improve now, the positives are there, you just have to look for them.

Avril

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Dull, overcast and much cooler here today. However, it's the first day of Spring tomorrow, and you can see the days are getting longer. We managed to finish pruning the roses yesterday and had a coffee sitting in the garden afterwards. It made a pleasant change. Our youngest daughter (52) has an appointment for her first jab on Thursday, and I'm relieved as she lives with us. Things are begining to improve now, the positives are there, you just have to look for them.

Avril

Great news your daughter is getting her jab next week.

There are indeed many positives about with the longer days, summer not far away and hopefully lessening restrictions. We are also lucky not to be in parts of Europe with them sliding into a third wave. Things could be a whole lot worse here for sure......

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I will mention Asda to Pauline as she is overdue new lenses.

My experience with the most expensive varifocals is it is like having 20/20 vision whether I'm looking up,down,side to side, distance or reading.

The cheaper ones only had parts of the lens which were like this.

Graham.

Certainly not my experience with any varifocals I've had Graham. Sounds to me as if they hadn't measured your eyes correctly when determining the transition zones for the varifocals

• Like 1

16 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

All this talk of Opticians makes me sad that my lovely independent optician that I’ve been going to since I was 11 selfishly retired a few years ago! I go to Boots now as it’s easy for me to walk to. The ladies in there are lovely (the ones who fit and mend the frames) but I see a different optician nearly every time I go. I miss my man who used to know all about me! Who used to say things like “well now you’re in your 40’s you should expect your eyes to get worse” 😆 Bless him.

I would feel sad if my independent optician closed.  I have been going to the same family practice since my mum took me there when I was 6 so almost 62 years.  She choose that practice because he was the husband of one of her nursing colleagues.  When  he retired his son took over and it now his grandson.  I don't want to go to some chain because I prefer to know that the person checking my eyes knows my optical history.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Lovely and Spring like here today, loads of daffodils out by the main road on my walk this morning 😊

BE746E0B-3190-4B19-B55B-6F27012DAB3E.jpeg

Lovely photo, we have grey skies but at least it is dry.  We have been out for a local walk this morning and it is lovely to see the gardens starting to brighten with the bulbs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have to say that was very unimpressed with the Asda varifocals after using Specsavers for years.  We tried Asda once but haven't been back.

Is it franchise operating in the Asda stores and not actually part of Asda?.

A few years ago Marks and Spencer opened Opticians in a few of the larger stores operated by a franchise.

We gave the one in York a try and had a few problems with them, not long afterwards they closed it down

It has since opened again but I will go back to Specsavers in future.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Is it franchise operating in the Asda stores and not actually part of Asda?.

A few years ago Marks and Spencer opened Opticians in a few of the larger stores operated by a franchise.

We gave the one in York a try and had a few problems with them, not long afterwards they closed it down

It has since opened again but I will go back to Specsavers in future.

Could well be - hadn’t thought of that.  Seems very likely.

My wife has used VisionExpress. She was distinctly unimpressed by the hard sell they gave her after her sight test. They really didn't want her to leave without buying some glasses from them. Still, I suppose they have to pay for their swish premises somehow!

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have to say that was very unimpressed with the Asda varifocals after using Specsavers for years.  We tried Asda once but haven't been back.

I found Specsavers own best varifocals were not good enough.

They had to source a third party varifocal for me.

Fortunately since my eye op my distance vision and reading text on TVs is now excellent and hopefully I will not need varifocals again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Certainly not my experience with any varifocals I've had Graham. Sounds to me as if they hadn't measured your eyes correctly when determining the transition zones for the varifocals

My first varifocals from Boots 10 years ago were good once I got used to them.

My last 2 were from Specsavers.

The first was excellent.

The last one 3 years ago their best varifocal was not what I expected and they had to source a third party varifocal for me which was excellent.

I tried the Specsavers best one for 1 week but they were not good enough  compared to what I was used to.

4 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I don't want to start a long heart debate but ever since treatment has been mentioned on here I have wondered about my own situation.  I wonder if I am missing being checked or looked after.

My heart attack was in Tescos in '13.  It was a blue light job 30 miles away.   After being discharged I just had one appointment with a Senior Nurse and was put in "the care of the community".  I asked my GP, who seems to laugh and joke more than is professional, and he said "Oh it just means you get seen quicker"   I have had no tablet review, no check ups..... nothing.  I  As those who have had problems probably agree.. you are never really free from the worry that it could happen again.  There is often  no warning like some other ailments.  Reassurance is a necessity but I don't get it professionally.

I have been more uneasy since two ribs locked together, 111 called an Ambulance although I was certain it wasn't another HA.  On hearing  about it my Drs reaction was "you must have known  it wasn't a heart attack on the right"... Balderdash, some ladies even get stomach pains and nothing in the chest.

Sorry to be a pain but HA's can be a bit of a niggle in the back of your mind all the time.

Did you have a coronary stent fitted?

What medication were you put on?

After my Heart Attack in December 2019 I was in hospital for 2 days and had a cardiac stent fitted during an angioplasty op.

I was seen by a cardiac physio in February 2020 who had me walking up and down the corridor with a monitor attached to check my heart rate and how quickly it returned to normal.

She asked if I needed any extra cardiac classes but I declined.

After 6 months the cardiac team asked my GP to do blood tests for cholesterol and diabetes.

After 1 year the cardiac team rang me and after a few questions discharged me to my GP care.

If you have any doubts about any chest pain ring 999 or go straight to your A&E.

I chewed 3 soluble aspirin and drove to our A&E when I had an  unusual chest pain and the blood test showed cardiac proteins indicating I had a Heart Attack even though ECG and physical exam was fine.

I would change my doctor if I were you.

Good luck.

Graham.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I work for a place that has community nurses. You should phone up and tell them your concerns,

P and O Sue.. I think we may be roughly in the same vicinity  give or take a few miles ...I think I may recognise the daffs and houses in your picture.  Is there any way you can give me a clue, cryptic or otherwise, about the Centre you mentioned.  It could be helpful to me... thanks

PS Yes Graham full blown attack.. race to Ashford in theatre in 10 mins for stent.  I often wish it had been Harrods not Tescos as I might have been able to recuperate on someone's Yacht!

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

P and O Sue.. I think we may be roughly in the same vicinity  give or take a few miles ...I think I may recognise the daffs and houses in your picture.  Is there any way you can give me a clue, cryptic or otherwise, about the Centre you mentioned.  It could be helpful to me... thanks

PS Yes Graham full blown attack.. race to Ashford in theatre in 10 mins for stent.  I often wish it had been Harrods not Tescos as I might have been able to recuperate on someone's Yacht!

Oh blimey the initials m and c and h may be involved! Phone us and say you’d like to talk to a cardiac nurse, hopefully the GP has referred you and then a nurse will call you and arrange a review. 

Well... I have  had the most exciting day since lock down!!!!! My car died at the petrol pump😬

I did the shopping this morning and started the car , drove from one side of the carpark to the other, where the petrol is located, filled up  and nothing...absolutely nothing. After trying for a few turns of the ignition switch, I made my way into the payment booth and informed them , in a rather embarrassed way, I wouldn't be going anywhere for the time being!

The assistant put 2 cones behind my car to warn others.

I phoned my husband and 20 mins later he came to my rescue. We managed to push the car to the side of the forecourt ,without the aid of ABS[ my goodness, that was hard] and he jumped started it,1st time. He followed me the the nearest tyre and battery place, where to my delight they had one to fit my car, it's a bit unusual , Honda-CRZ, a hybrid.

Thankfully it wasn't the hybrid battery that was playing up [£2000 to replace ] but only the starter battery @ £90.

I will have a lay down in a darkened room with a cold flannel now to recover from all the activities.

PS. Wowzz and others booked on that Princess cruise in October...... whilst waiting for my husband, I was playing with my phone [ smartphone came in handy there!!!] wasting time, and that cruise is over £1800 pp now for a balcony cabin.  £1600 for an inside. Let's hope it goes ahead. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3