P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Have to say since being diagnosed with a serious eye condition in 2015 Vision Express in Crewe has been incredible and I wouldn't go anywhere else even if they charged double than anyone else. (They don't but you know what I mean)

Anyway a 'shout out' to them tonight 🙂

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 

• Like 3

All this talk of Opticians makes me sad that my lovely independent optician that I’ve been going to since I was 11 selfishly retired a few years ago! I go to Boots now as it’s easy for me to walk to. The ladies in there are lovely (the ones who fit and mend the frames) but I see a different optician nearly every time I go. I miss my man who used to know all about me! Who used to say things like “well now you’re in your 40’s you should expect your eyes to get worse” 😆 Bless him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Lets hope your increase in Ramipril sorts your BP out. My doctor moved my dose up 

to 5mg and decided this would become a bedtime tablet to avoid side effect of 

light headedness/washed out whilst body gets used to the increase   . Everything has

worked out well plus the blood checks as I hope it will for you .

I'm prescribed 16mg Candesaten, and 1.5mg Indopamide for my BP. The Candesaten stared at 2mg and gradually crept up over the years.😒

Avril

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm prescribed 16mg Candesaten, and 1.5mg Indopamide for my BP. The Candesaten stared at 2mg and gradually crept up over the years.😒

Avril

Wouldn't it be nice if we were like teenagers when retired :classic_smile: We could do crazy things 

like leaping over fences :classic_love:  Hold on! I just remembered Frank still does :classic_ohmy:

Which reminds me .. I hope your neighbour is on the mend :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Wouldn't it be nice if we were like teenagers when retired :classic_smile: We could do crazy things 

like leaping over fences :classic_love:  Hold on! I just remembered Frank still does :classic_ohmy:

Which reminds me .. I hope your neighbour is on the mend :classic_smile:

She is Kalos thanks. It was her 91st birthday 27th February and I nipped round to take her present and a card. She showed me her leg where she fallen, and it was black and blue. Her elbow still hurts, but her daughter is there every day, and she has my number if needed. So between her daughter, me and Superman she's well looked after. Us oldies are made of strong stuff😁

Avril

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

left store by separate door £367 lighter in my bank account

Blimey, how many pairs did you buy?

I assume you must have bought some really expensive frames for that sort of price. 

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

He has moved mine the opposite way from evenings to mornings which I am doing gradually over a 5 day period as advised by pharmacist. 

On my second day noticed nothing as yet, other than BP was down this morning. 

I have always taken Perindropril for HBP  first thing in the morning 30-60 minutes before food.

Graham.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Varifocals with thin lenses are at least.£350

Not in Asda. No difference in price to standard lenses. You only pay extra if you want "reacolite" lenses. 

You can pick up a pair of glasses with thin, varifocal lenses, from their cheap frame range, for £45. 

After my double cataract ops I ended up with 3 pairs of specs, distance because of astigmatism, OK from the horizon to watching the TV, the second pair optimised for 60cm and used for the computer and a lot in the kitchen and a reading pair optimised for 30cm. Could never find a correct pair when I wanted them!. The solution was to buy lots of pairs of poundland reading glasses so I have a pair of computer and reading in every room plus the garage etc. Works great except the specs all seem to migrate to the same room 🤔

ps - for precision hobbies I found a pair of poundland narrow lensed reading glasses with a pair of big lensed ones on top is comfortable and allows me to see clearly at 3 inches for 2 quid ( other measurement systems are available)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Blimey, how many pairs did you buy?

I assume you must have bought some really expensive frames for that sort of price. 

2 Pairs, one precision  varifocals , one set of “office” lenses, both frames under £99.

31 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

2 Pairs, one precision  varifocals , one set of “office” lenses, both frames under £99.

Sorry, that still seems an outrageous price for lenses that Asda include in the price of their frames.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, that still seems an outrageous price for lenses that Asda include in the price of their frames.

I mean everything is expensive these days. I dount that its THAT expensive. In any case, when you plan a vacation, you need to get your wallet ready for such expenses

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not in Asda. No difference in price to standard lenses. You only pay extra if you want "reacolite" lenses. 

You can pick up a pair of glasses with thin, varifocal lenses, from their cheap frame range, for £45. 

That's interesting.

My personal experience is that there is a big difference between cheap varifocals and the best varifocals I have bought 3 times.

Fortunately after my eye op my distance vision is great.

I have to wait a few months before I see the eye consultant again and when he hopefully gives me the okay I might only need relatively cheap reading glasses only.

Graham.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That's interesting.

My personal experience is that there is a big difference between cheap varifocals and the best varifocals I have bought 3 times.

Fortunately after my eye op my distance vision is great.

I have to wait a few months before I see the eye consultant again and when he hopefully gives me the okay I might only need relatively cheap reading glasses only.

Graham.

All I can say, is that I can perceive no difference between the lenses in my pair that cost me £300 from Specsavers and my £99 pair from Asda. Probably sourced from the same optical manufacturer.

The weather around here this morning is a dull drizzly 8.c ,so another day of 

research on the web  for me today .  Reading on here and on the web got me 

thinking as we seem to come out of covid "Have we learnt anything when it 

comes to hygiene ? " We read that McDonalds who are raking it in with record

sales are so busy busting sales targets they are not following covid guidelines.

I'm suspect they are not the only food outlet that are doing this , some will be

following the rules but it's the ones who do not that become a worry .

It leaves you asking the question "Can I  trust my local take away ?"  Some will

be safe but it only takes a few . Whilst surfing the other day I saw a film on a ferry 

company film showing how they safeguard you from covid , which most is good .

I have started the film at where they say they do a "Deep Clean " before they set sail 

again ..Really !  Make your own minds up but I would never class that as a deep clean 

of that table. Conclusion look after yourselves folks and keep safe . :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

All I can say, is that I can perceive no difference between the lenses in my pair that cost me £300 from Specsavers and my £99 pair from Asda. Probably sourced from the same optical manufacturer.

I will mention Asda to Pauline as she is overdue new lenses.

My experience with the most expensive varifocals is it is like having 20/20 vision whether I'm looking up,down,side to side, distance or reading.

The cheaper ones only had parts of the lens which were like this.

Graham.

I don't want to start a long heart debate but ever since treatment has been mentioned on here I have wondered about my own situation.  I wonder if I am missing being checked or looked after.

My heart attack was in Tescos in '13.  It was a blue light job 30 miles away.   After being discharged I just had one appointment with a Senior Nurse and was put in "the care of the community".  I asked my GP, who seems to laugh and joke more than is professional, and he said "Oh it just means you get seen quicker"   I have had no tablet review, no check ups..... nothing.  I  As those who have had problems probably agree.. you are never really free from the worry that it could happen again.  There is often  no warning like some other ailments.  Reassurance is a necessity but I don't get it professionally.

I have been more uneasy since two ribs locked together, 111 called an Ambulance although I was certain it wasn't another HA.  On hearing  about it my Drs reaction was "you must have known  it wasn't a heart attack on the right"... Balderdash, some ladies even get stomach pains and nothing in the chest.

Sorry to be a pain but HA's can be a bit of a niggle in the back of your mind all the time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I don't want to start a long heart debate but ever since treatment has been mentioned on here I have wondered about my own situation.  I wonder if I am missing being checked or looked after.

My heart attack was in Tescos in '13.  It was a blue light job 30 miles away.   After being discharged I just had one appointment with a Senior Nurse and was put in "the care of the community".  I asked my GP, who seems to laugh and joke more than is professional, and he said "Oh it just means you get seen quicker"   I have had no tablet review, no check ups..... nothing.  I  As those who have had problems probably agree.. you are never really free from the worry that it could happen again.  There is often  no warning like some other ailments.  Reassurance is a necessity but I don't get it professionally.

I have been more uneasy since two ribs locked together, 111 called an Ambulance although I was certain it wasn't another HA.  On hearing  about it my Drs reaction was "you must have known  it wasn't a heart attack on the right"... Balderdash, some ladies even get stomach pains and nothing in the chest.

Sorry to be a pain but HA's can be a bit of a niggle in the back of your mind all the time.

I work for a place that has community nurses. You should phone up and tell them your concerns, you should be able to get a review. Part of my job is to take messages for the cardiac nurses and they always phone them back. Quite often the patients tell me their GP’s are rubbish but we help them.

• Like 1

Just now, P&O SUE said:

I work for a place that has community nurses. You should phone up and tell them your concerns, you should be able to get a review. Part of my job is to take messages for the cardiac nurses and they always phone them back. Quite often the patients tell me their GP’s are rubbish but we help them.

EDIT- what rubbish about the right side! I didn’t have a heart attack, I had a stent put in before it got that far but my pain was in the middle . The middle is the main artery and that’s which one was blocked! Awful to rubbish you, they should never do that. I hope you get some joy with the community team.

• Like 2

It is a bit dull and cooler than the last few days here, can't complain for mid March, at least we have been out on long walks and pottered in the garden which is now colouring up nicely. I have noticed the flyers from cruise lines and TA's are increasing in volume as are the emails. 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

My experience with the most expensive varifocals is it is like having 20/20 vision whether I'm looking up,down,side to side, distance or reading.

Graham.

The bottom line to this debate is 'You pays your money, and you takes your choice'  We all have our own personal tastes.😎🤓🧐

Avril

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

I have to say that was very unimpressed with the Asda varifocals after using Specsavers for years.  We tried Asda once but haven't been back.

• Like 2