Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

4 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

Isolation on a ship does not work; we learned that from the Diamond Princess with over 700 infected.  It is better than no isolation at all but not like a shore "quarantine in place".

Have you ever been quarantined aboard a HAL ship?  I have - twice.  And I can tell you that no shore quarantine can match the quarantine that the ship imposes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Have you ever been quarantined aboard a HAL ship?  I have - twice.  And I can tell you that no shore quarantine can match the quarantine that the ship imposes.

Agreed.  My wife was quarantined for two days last year on our Viking cruise.  She and I know the experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

You are absolutely right!  It has happened to me twice, too, and they are pitbulls on alert making sure you stay put!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After all the hand wringing about cruise passengers coming ashore this is what is on the FLL airport official policy page.  Seems like they might want to think a bit about other people arriving via air from who knows where, infected with who knows what....and of course there are no doubt thousands more people driving into florida everyday coming from who knows where, infected with who knows what. Just added is an "order" that air passengers arriving from NYC area or Louisiana should SELF quarantine for 14 days. 

Add in the fact that the newly announced Florida stay home, practice social distancing, no gathering of more than 10 people EXCLUDES church services including MEGA churches with no required social distancing etc. To single out cruise ships as the "virus villains"  might be convenient for political posturing but to me it is a bit of a "red herring" to deflect attention to the gaping holes in Florida's actions to prevent infections.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Is the airport open?
Yes, FLL is open for business and flights are operating. 
What is the airport doing to screen arriving passengers?
There isn’t any passenger screening implemented for domestic flights, except for travelers arriving in Florida from the northeastern United States (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut) and the State of Louisiana as required by Governor Ron DeSantis' Executive Order 20-80 and Executive Order 20-86Arriving international passengers at FLL are visually inspected by U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP), and this does not include a temperature check. CBP is conducting enhanced screening on arriving international passengers at 13 selected airports. FLL is not one of them. BCAD, which operates FLL, is doing everything possible to maintain a safe, clean, and healthy environment for our passengers and employees to prevent the spread of the virus. Follow the preventive healthcare guidelines from the CDC to protect yourself and others from exposure to this illness. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dockman said:

strange but my brother says the front desk is "waiting to hear from head office" in regards to when they fly home...yet this is front page news on USA today and other sources...so i told him what is in news.

as for driving from FLL to NC that is one LONG drive especially for older folks who have just finished an ordeal

I was thinking driving from Atlanta as that was one of the charter destinations. 

1 hour ago, dockman said:

12 hour drive which would mean for them a stop for hotel...then finally get home and have to eventually drive another hour or two to return rental car....i think they will be happy to be herded into plane after having been herded into a 185 sf room for two weeks plus...

We had to make that drive from North Carolina to Ft Lauderdale unexpectedly a couple years ago.  We were scheduled to fly out the day before our cruise around lunchtime but a storm system caused a full ground stop at the ATL airport.  Finally around 8PM our last chance to fly to Florida that day evaporated.  Drove straight there leaving NC in a rental car around 830PM. That was a miserable drive!  I would definitely not want to undertake it after everything else these folks have been through!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, css5 said:

Which is exactly why the fear of flying commercial right now is overblown. That's an average of 22 passengers on a plane.

Two different Airlines sent me a questionnaire last week asking me about what I thought and would feel safer on Flights with nobody in center seats. Works for me, have couple future flights booked with me in Exit row window seat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Had to quit this thread 3 hours earlier but forgot to thank Lou and Dave and their gang.  As always, good job!

Agree 100%  They also set some major records today, that will stand for a long time, as to the numbers of viewers "viewing" these two dam ships coming into port

• Like 7

Finally finished catching up with reading everything here.

Again, I am thankful for the facts that have been shared.

I am so proud of the Rotterdam and her crew for helping the Zaandam's people in need.  So many heroes in this saga, especially the faithful crew members.

Thanks to God, needed miracles have been happening.

May our prayers and God's blessings continue to get everyone safely home.

Stay well.

Barbara

• Like 5

Good morning everyone; I caught up on what I missed after I left yesterday, then checked the FLL webcam.  The two ships are sitting there in the bright sunshine and it looks like an ordinary day in Ft. Lauderdale, with no sign of the excitement those two ships brought to so many yesterday.  Best wishes to everyone still onboard waiting to get home, and to those who have already left.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 5

Good morning,

We thank all of you who have contributed to this topic, added personal expertise and knowledge, or followed along during the journey of the Zaandam, and later both the Zaandam and Rotterdam in tandem, and have expressed your concerns and well-wishes for the passengers and crew on both ships. 

Due to the size of this topic, and now that both ships have been able to dock at Port Everglades, we have closed this topic to new posts and have started a continuation topic here --

I personally will never forget staying up into the wee hours following the passage through the Panama Canal, or watching the webcams "together" as we saw the two ships reach safe harbor.  Once again, we thank all of the members of the Cruise Critic Community who came together to follow this voyage.  We appreciate each one of you.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4