Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

2 minutes ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Is this a record number of posts for 12 days?

Don't know, but when I would get onto the thread and start reading the pages that I had missed, I kept getting further and further behind.  That was a first for me!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

They are not supposed to be going into the open world, everyone of them is supposed to go home into a 14 day self quarantine in place as a condition of being allowed to dock.  The Mayor of Fort Lauderdale explained this today during a news conference and will be enforced in Florida but who knows in other states.  That is my concern.

According to one of the articles linked at least one of the charters is going to the West Coast and the passengers on that charter will then go regular commercial air to their destinations. Another post mentioned someone on board going on a charter to SFO and thereafter commercial. I wonder if the fine folks in Florida had the decency to give Governor Newsome a courtesy call letting CA know that the protocols FL thought necessary to protect Floridians were not needed to protect Californians, maybe the 5 hour flight deactivates the virus? At least California’s arrangements to isolate/quarantine all Grand Princess passengers protected the rest of the country and commercial air travel.

My hope is that w/ the use of masks and self isolating once home the repatriated passengers will not contribute to the crisis on their way home or in their own communities once they arrive.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

I hear you! All I can tell is that this is not a normal situation and, like you, I'm not there. As far as all the bystanders, after 30 years as a cop, I have developed a natural dislike for lookie-loos, Yeah, I know, curiosity........

This whole thread is lookie-loos. 🤫

• Like 1

Just now, rafinmd said:

Looks like just one ambo waiting now.  I wonder if the critical transfers are almost complete.

Roy

Roy, I only ever  counted 9 ambulances in total.  I wondered if perhaps some would return after taking their patient to the hospital.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I just want to take this opportunity to thank the unified Command for making this happen. 

Whether popular or not, the US and FL officials did what they had to do.  They asked the tough questions, despite people flaming them for specific choices of words and totally unrelated nonsense like whether the beaches were open or closed. They have had their hands full with numerous cases in which ships want to offload sick in to South Florida.  The tough questions had to be asked.  Yet despite all this, in the end, Zaandam and Rotterdam were only delayed a short while once reaching the Port Everglades area. 

Remember, other countries/ports flat out denied Zaandam without so much as even a discussion.  Furthermore, not one single other country or port came forward and offered their docks to these 2 ships.  Not one! 

God Bless the USA, God Bless the Unified Command, God Bless the first responders who are working this, and most of all, God Bless the officers, crew, & passengers, both healthy, sick and lost, of the M/S Zaandam and M/S Rotterdam.  We were with you all the way. 

Yes, well said Aquahound!  Unified Command makes things happen!  And I'm sure it was much more complex than we think, it always is.  m-- 

• Like 1

This has ben a long thread.  I am just glad both ships were able to dock.  For those people who took this cruise a few weeks ago, this a long nightmere.  I am grateful to Almighty God this is over.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I think there are no more ambulance departures.  I wasn't counting all the time, but I thought someone said 14 were going to be hospitalized.  Maybe they will take more tomorrow.

There's one more ambulance on the pier.

Edit: and away it goes. So, are all the seriously ill pax off?

Edited by BigJohnL
Update

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I just want to take this opportunity to thank the unified Command for making this happen. 

Whether popular or not, the US and FL officials did what they had to do.  They asked the tough questions, despite people flaming them for specific choices of words and totally unrelated nonsense like whether the beaches were open or closed. They have had their hands full with numerous cases in which ships want to offload sick in to South Florida.  The tough questions had to be asked.  Yet despite all this, in the end, Zaandam and Rotterdam were only delayed a short while once reaching the Port Everglades area. 

Remember, other countries/ports flat out denied Zaandam without so much as even a discussion.  Furthermore, not one single other country or port came forward and offered their docks to these 2 ships.  Not one! 

God Bless the USA, God Bless the Unified Command, God Bless the first responders who are working this, and most of all, God Bless the officers, crew, & passengers, both healthy, sick and lost, of the M/S Zaandam and M/S Rotterdam.  We were with you all the way. 

Hats off to the Unified Command of Broward County. Many nasty words against them all undeserved. Kudos to HAL for organizing resources 

• Like 4

So glad to see this happen today. I ended up having to use my laptop out on our porch so that my mom could watch this too but I like so many others got involved with the high number of connections by others trying to do the same thing had trouble being able to keep it at times. had much better luck with the live coverage with the link that was provided. I ran into problems with our desktop computer as all of a sudden I could go to the webcams but after about 10 seconds it would go blank. Its still like this now. Does anyone have any ideas regarding this as I haven't touched anything from my end and never had this problem before. 

Hope  that everyone on board makes it home and stays healthy and those needing more time to get better before they can return  home do too. The force always wins and the force has been very strong with the Zaandam and Rotterdam as they sailed together to support each other. 

55 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

HAL's Press Release is in link.  Note that:   "Fit-to-travel guests will transfer straight from ship onto buses for transfer directly to the airport for their flights home. The majority will leave on charter flights. Local Florida residents will return home immediately via private car."   

There is no mention regarding the rest of the passengers with domestic flights.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/amsterdam-maasdam-zaandam-updates.html

Unless they plan to charter small private planes there is no way that all pax will be flown on charter flights within the USA as there re no doubt multiple cities involved.  Flying commercial is going to happen.  Not sure if/why that would freak anyone out as Florida airports are up and running with people arriving everyday from hot spots like New York.  Of course these people are not getting a fraction of the attention that cruise passengers have gotten even though we frankly have little if any idea how many of them may be infected. 

For example Orlando:

During the first three days following DeSantis’ order — Tuesday to Thursday — 135 flights arrived in Orlando from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut carrying a combined nearly 3,000 passengers 

• Like 3

Just now, 1ANGELCAT said:

@dockman  Sorry if I missed a post but have you heard from your brother since the ship docked ? 

i got a text earlier today when he said all luggage was collected to be sent to them later after sanitizing...He said they were told they would probably disembark at 4 pm EST.  Nothing since then and don't want to bother him as no doubt he will text when he is ready.  Not sure if they will fly him home at night or how that will work out re his drive home from airport to his home which is probably another two hours. Also not sure who/how books his flights without knowing what time they will arrive at the airport.  There are not big numbers of late night flights to his destination so maybe they don't get off until tomorrow morning??     I am sure he would prefer to land in daytime but no matter what he will deal with it and be very very happy to get home. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@Seasick Sailor & @Copper10-8

just a head’s up Deb’s Mom and Jim have been hospitalized. Tested for Covid-19, no results yet. Please include them in your prayers.

Oh I really didn't want to hear this after the feel good story of being a part of the CC team that helped with info to get her parents home.

Why I have stressed to my mom after going out to pick up a couple of prescriptions tomorrow, that's it as I will go out no more and have been staying home as it is already. 

• Like 1