Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

14 minutes ago, Zippercat said:

Isn’t a typical transit in a convoy with merchant ships?  They are required to stay in order so their speed is limited by the ship(s) in front of them.

Typically, there's a convoy, yes you are correct. Tonight looks like we're dealing with special circumstances and Zaandam might be setting a new transit record for a cruise ship

• Like 7

Z has been running through the lake areas in record time as high as 17k and no other ships in her path!

update:  Oops, see the the very large container ship Ever Living that is around the corner from Z.

Slowing down to 14K

Edited by Cruisin Kay D
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

That's a possibility, yes

Thanks for the quick answer. Not sure how much longer I will be up. So will check back in on them first thing in the morning before I leave for a grocery run for mom and I. Then will monitor them for their Florida arrival. With the high virus case numbers in south Florida wonder if they will be able to get into Port Everglades.  All Florida ports are still open but Miami  the other day did deny two Costa ships to dock and had to bring the crew in by tender  with the virus. May the Force be with the Zaandam and the Rotterdam. Warp speed set once through the canal.

• Like 2

Yeah Z is flying through the lake. On marine traffic I see some other traffic in green and are stopped like they are out of the way. Now will see if Rotterdam goes through the same way. Sure they will joining back up together after on the Atlantic side of if Zaandam takes off after she is through Rotterdam will catch up to her no problem being the fastest ship in the fleet. This is happening so fast is there a stopwatch going. When captain Albert gets back to his blog will be interesting to read after all of this since he is on the Rotterdam right now.

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 3

She has slowed down now, only going 11.3 knots.  And Rottie is through and will be hurrying to catch up!

And now Zaandam is going 7.8 kenos and Rotterdam 11.8 - speeding up!

I hope someone will be up late and take some screen shots.  It's bedtime for me.  It has been an exciting evening. 

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1

Just now, Stakeout said:

hay Copper... for us old east coast NY gendarmes this is like a flashback doing an all nite 'midnite tour'-- I'll be out 30 years this July-- wherry wherry scary  🙂

0400 hrs and driving blacked-out in back alleys looking for crooks after the bar crowd is home 😉 Enjoy your retirement Sir! Be safe!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

Been missing Captain Albert's daily posting the past few days or else I lost the connection to him.....Anyone read anything from him since his comments about 3/23? 

I think he's on time-out at this time; might pick it up again during the 3-day transit in the Carib Sea

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

Been missing Captain Albert's daily posting the past few days or else I lost the connection to him.....Anyone read anything from him since his comments about 3/23? 

He is currently on the Rotterdam so of course is involved with  helping with all that is going on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

0400 hrs and driving blacked-out in back alleys looking for crooks after the bar crowd is home 😉 Enjoy your retirement Sir! Be safe!

hahahaha.. I am.. or at least I have been .. one must adapt.. stay well ..

• Like 1