Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

I am watching LIVE.  Zaandam is past Gamboa, nearly through the narrow part and about to be in the Gatun Lake!!   Moving rather fast, it seems to me....

Wonder if any people who were moved onto R from Z are able to watch this transit?  Having been to & through the canal 4 times, it has been my dream to go through the new locks.....been hoping to take another cruise into the canal.   

With all that has happened to ships recently, not sure if our adult children will "allow" us another cruise!!

(Got to update my signature!!  60 cruises completed!)

Edited by Cruisin Kay D
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Exceeding the speed limit?  I seldom see anyone doing more than 8kt and she is doing 15.5.  EM

She has a PCA transit pilot on the bridge so i'm thinking this is all approved but, you're right, I've never see it done this fast

• Like 4

Here also watching both ships get thru the lock.  Happy for them especially the Rotterdam which we will be on in Oct. We hope. 😉  Now we pray everything else goes smoothly and everyone on board both ships stay safe and healthy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Copper, which locks will "the girls" go through at the Atlantic end?  Or will they sit in the Gatun Lake overnight?

Well, looking at the VIP treatments she's received so far (new locks on the Pacific side, let alone her transit speed) she's gotta be going for the new locks at Agua Clara. The PCA is really going out of their way to make this a very smooth and very fast transit. More power to them!

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Warp speed ahead Mister Zulu!! KInda sorta like putting an egg in their shoe, stirring if forthwith, and scrambling outtahere

Isn’t a typical transit in a convoy with merchant ships?  They are required to stay in order so their speed is limited by the ship(s) in front of them.

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Prior to approaching the locks, she'll be picking up two pilots, two Panama Canal Authority (PCA) inspectors, one or more health inspectors, a fumigator, and a crew of about nineteen PCA line handlers in three separate canal boats

Does she still need this many PCA line handlers for the Cocoli locks? 

Also, I wonder if running at nearly twice the typical fastest speed is reckless?  Did they slow down other traffic to make sure there would not be many other ships along her path?

the Zaandam sure has the pedal to the metal.. smokin' ...glad they are doing the right thing..  another God-Speed moment  .. done 8 round-trips thru the Canal .. definitely faster than the speed of light..🙂

Edited by Stakeout
  • Like 2

I've followed all evening and noticed the speed after Zaandam cleared the locks.  It sure seemed fast to me as well.  I've never sailed the Canal, but sailed a couple of US Navy ships into many ports and narrow waterways.  14-15 knots in such waters is "warp speed" as Copper 10-8 says!!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Also, I wonder if running at nearly twice the typical fastest speed is reckless?  Did they slow down other traffic to make sure there would not be many other ships along her path?

No, AIS is showing her all alone now abeam Barro Colorado Island.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SusieQft said:

Nope, that was based on her going through Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks. I don't believe a HAL "R"-class ship has ever gone through the new locks

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Warp speed ahead Mister Zulu!! KInda sorta like putting an egg in their shoe, stirring if forthwith, and scrambling outtahere

Copper could this be the PCA trying to help get them though quicker to then in turn help them to get through to the Atlantic side so they can throttle up for Florida sooner in light of the circumstances. Could have scheduled this too with less traffic in the canal to pull this off. Also just noticed that the Europa has left her anchorage and stating her transit. Looks like she is headed to Miraflores.

Edited by rjbean4
info
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Nope, that was based on her going through Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks. I don't believe a HAL "R"-class ship has ever gone through the new locks

I don't think any HAL ship has gone through the new locks.  EM

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

She has a PCA transit pilot on her bridge. If he (haven't seen a she yet) felt it was reckless, he wouldn't put up with it

• Like 6

1 minute ago, rjbean4 said:

Copper could this be the PCA trying to help get them though quicker to then in turn help them to get through to the Atlantic side so they can throttle up for Florida sooner in light of the circumstances. Could have scheduled this too with less traffic in the canal to pull this off. Also just noticed that the Europa has left her anchorage and stating her transit. 

That's a possibility, yes

• Like 2