Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

AIS receiver was turned off before the tender was loaded.  AIS cannot update the position.

Roy

AIS was still on 9 minutes ago. Tender or lifeboat ZADM11 was shown doing 12.4 knots.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

The logistics of transferring at-sea passengers from one cruise ship to another are great.  Never mind all the pre-selection process; once they are identified, they have to be checked out of one ship and checked in to another, assigned a new room, and issued new key cards.  They need to be transferred a few at a time to ensure proper social distancing, luggage has to be transferred and manifests of both ships need to be changed.  What about muster drills?  While I'm sure they're not doing a traditional muster, they still need to know where their station is. 

But that said, sources tell me HAL and the officers & crew of both ships have been champs through this process.  Time will tell how this all plays out but for now, I have to extend a big Bravo Zulu to HAL!

D9A7FF18-11E4-4C40-85EF-4852A70E0F6C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

The logistics of transferring at-sea passengers from one cruise ship to another are great.  Never mind all the pre-selection process; once they are identified, they have to be checked out of one ship and checked in to another, assigned a new room, and issued new key cards.  They need to be transferred a few at a time to ensure proper social distancing, luggage has to be transferred and manifests of both ships need to be changed.  What about muster drills?  While I'm sure they're not doing a traditional muster, they still need to know where their station is. 

But that said, sources tell me HAL and the officers & crew of both ships have been champs through this process.  Time will tell how this all plays out but for now, I have to extend a big Bravo Zulu to HAL!

Looks like both are underway now.  Great job by all the HAL sailors involved - and the passengers as well.  Get thru the canal and into a port where everyone can get sorted out properly. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dockman said:

Apparently some confusion as to who and when etc.  They are just very happy to be on R and didn't go into great detail.

This was addressed in Orlando Ashford's video to guests on both ships. Video is available on HAL's Facebook page (also linked in a previous post). .  

For later on, Miraflores locks will be first - their webcam

https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/Webcams/miraflores.html

Prior to approaching the locks, she'll be picking up two pilots, two Panama Canal Authority (PCA) inspectors, one or more health inspectors, a fumigator, and a crew of about nineteen PCA line handlers in three separate canal boats

panama-canal-5a.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Miraflores locks webcam

Same site has another webcam of Gatun locks at north end. Assume Rotterdam and Zaandam will both transit in the cheaper/older/smaller locks unless traffic requires otherwise. Both now seemed to have joined the queue.

Edited by voyageur9
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I had read here some years ago that cruise ships with passengers aboard were required to transit during the day.  It may also be size related, as Windstar had their small (formerly Seabourn) ships doing night transits.  There was some dissatisfaction in the guests who did not realize this was the plan.  After one season, they went back to day transits.  Maybe @BillB48 could shed some light on this.  Hapag-Lloyd's Europa is also awaiting transit, but she has no guests onboard so maybe could do a night transit.  Her cancelled itinerary had her scheduled to transit last week.  EM

Actually passenger ships pay a premium for a daylight transit.  Previously ships with beams near the maximum limits were required to complete passage through the locks and Gaillard Cut during daylight hours.  Gradually the daylight requirement for wide beam ships at the locks was dropped and as the Cut was widened daylight requirements were greatly reduced.  While the locks and Gaillard Cut are very attractive on a night passage,  cruise passengers want to see it in the daytime.  A ship wanting to transit during the day will pay an additional $30,000 on top of the regular tolls for a daylight transit.  For the Canal's purposes a daylight transit is to arrive at the first lock after sunrise and clear the last lock by sunset. 

• Like 2

It appears that the Zaandam has moved ahead of the Europa in the queue, so perhaps the authorities are allowing the ship to move ahead.  Is that realistic, or just wishful thing on my part?

I can not begin to imagine the stress on the passengers and crew, never mind their families at home. Bless them all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

It appears that the Zaandam has moved ahead of the Europa in the queue, so perhaps the authorities are allowing the ship to move ahead.  Is that realistic, or just wishful thing on my part?

I can not begin to imagine the stress on the passengers and crew, never mind their families at home. Bless them all.

The Europa has been sitting at the Panama Canal anchorage for a number of days.  She was previously in Puerto Vallarta MX prior to her current location.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

For later on, Miraflores locks will be first - their webcam

https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/Webcams/miraflores.html

Prior to approaching the locks, she'll be picking up two pilots, two Panama Canal Authority (PCA) inspectors, one or more health inspectors, a fumigator, and a crew of about nineteen PCA line handlers in three separate canal boats

good luck and our thoughts and prayers to Capt Ane and to the staff, crew and passengers onboard

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Max2003 said:

Not wishful thinking!!.  Zaandam in the shute and Rotterdam in the Queue.   I sure would like to see the Rotterdam move out!  But we wait!!

image.thumb.png.6919f58831ecc4a850bb0bd39691de2c.png

I realize this is just another step in their very long journey, but it seems like such an important step. 

@BillB48  I note that Zaandam is heading straight into the canal.  I also note that there are no ships lined up for transit in the Cocoli Locks.  Might they send her through them, instead of Miraflores?  And if so, would that require fewer staff since there are no mules used?  EM

• Like 1

I imagine they want to get this over with as quickly as possible and get the sick passengers back to dry land.  Hope everything goes smoothly, and possibly the sick will have recovered by the time they get to Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 1