Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

FYI  All people sent to Lackland for quarantine have now been sent home (or to hospitals in rare cases) and the housing they have been kept in is in process of being cleaned. 

Lackland was selected because the BOQ they were using could be isolated from rest of base.  Don't think other bases with large air strips are that lucky.

We were told as of Saturday there were no plans to reopen.  Suspect this may change soon.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Max2003 said:

We have a lot of military based off the west coast of Florida as well --Eglin AFB, NAS Pensacola,  Keesler AFB and even NAS Corpus Christy to name a few.   We will find a way or make one!!!!

Is Hurlburt Field still around?

As a South Floridian, I have no problem welcoming Zaandam to my state. We fully support the cruise industry here and we are very sympathetic to what these passengers are going through. I would very much appreciate it if those on the other side of the country didn’t pretend to know how we view this. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41
  • Like 9

Adding Some info, Broward County which is where Port Everglades is located has ordered residents to shelter in place as of thurs. 2/26.

The ship is headed towards this port as of today's news, but there are still many locally resisting the ship to port.

From what I've read, the Port is owned by the County who would have to give permission as long as the state allows.

Hopefully everything is worked out as there is time as the ship travels, such as,,,

Where do these people quarantine?

Where will the medical facilities, tests, treatments come from as this part of Florida is already burdened with residents?

I'm sure you all can think of quite a bit more then I listed, so lets hope for the welfare of those on the ship, and living in the Broward County area some good decisions are made!

• Like 2

Just now, Nymich said:

Yes the misconception is we are supposed to be talking about the Zaandam but some are veering off topic to give their expert opinions.  Was not referring to you of course.

Yes, that's the only important thing at this time.  The Zaandam, Rotterdam coming into Florida and also an Azamara ship heading this way.  Not to mention the Celebrity Eclipse also heading to San Diego.  All having been refused by many ports.  Just need to get all these people home safely.

• Like 5

Sorry if already mentioned, but what about Patrick AFB down the coast here, near Cocoa - which is oh so close to Port Canaveral? Does have the 920th Rescue Wing there:

"In addition to its CSAR mission, the wing also participates in civilian rescue operations, ranging from rescue support for NASA crewed spaceflight operations, to augmentative support to U.S. Coast Guard search and rescue (SAR) operations, to Defense Support to Civil Authorities (DSCA) in the wake of major disasters".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Air_Force_Base

OK Folks ~ one more reminder .... this thread is a discussion about Zaandam....not the place to debate what states/counties/cities, etc have or have not done in relation to COVID-19.  On a thread that is 45 pages long, it's difficult to keep up with the Zaandam discussion when posters keep veering off topic.  

Also, PLEASE stop all disrespectful or rude comments to other posters, cruise lines, states, etc.  They are going to be removed.  We want to keep this thread open for people to discuss Zaandam/Rotterdam and the situation they are facing.  Debating what specific states/counties/cities are or are not doing doesn't belong on this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, dockman said:

It looks like all the tenders are back on Zaandam so perhaps passenger transfer is complete.

Unfortunately, there are still 2 Rotterdam tenders near the Zaandam.  I think at times they get back to their ships and appear to be none out.

Hopefully, soon.

Roy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Unfortunately, there are still 2 Rotterdam tenders near the Zaandam.  I think at times they get back to their ships and appear to be none out.

Hopefully, soon.

Roy

Would this not be a good sign the continual moving back and forth that there are far more "well" people than sick people?  

3 minutes ago, conwakr said:

Would this not be a good sign the continual moving back and forth that there are far more "well" people than sick people?  

Not if Rotterdam's tenders are at Zaandam as opposed to their mothership

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

There have been several posts talked about two people have tested positive.  Has all the testing been done and, if so, are there any more positives?  Last, I thought that the specimens had to be taken to a lab.  No?

Yesterday, there was news  that the 15-minute test had been approved by the FDA for this emergency.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, FOPMan said:

here's my personal thought: I wonder if there's been consideration of using Guantanamo Bay. All funding to be provided by Holland America. Each country with people on the ship, plus the countries of registry for the ships, could fly medical and support staff to the base.

Unused facilities could be adapted for passenger's use. Ship's crew would be responsible for all but medical services

People would remain in isolation, either on ship or in land facility.

As people cleared quarantine, Holland would fly charter flights out, dropping people off along the way,  but no commercial flights. Connections would be permitted, but only to aircraft with only passengers (eg, if it were more efficient for a private plane to make a hop from Dallas to Denver, Holland could charter a plane for that flight) and the transfer does not allow passengers to enter the terminal.

The American military could help, but at a minimal level of personnel- passenger interaction.

Not going happen. Base isnt set up Medically and flights still have land in US. Most part all the Medical Military called up and Deployed are to help with reg Emergencies, not CV... We are long past quarantining Cruise passengers on Military Bases, not going happen anymore

Edited by ONECRUISER

53 minutes ago, Fanpower said:

Will the Zaandam and Rotterdam have to "wait their turn" or fast tracked through Panama at night?

I remember our Captain stating Holland America paid $196,000 so we could see the canal during the day.

I had read here some years ago that cruise ships with passengers aboard were required to transit during the day.  It may also be size related, as Windstar had their small (formerly Seabourn) ships doing night transits.  There was some dissatisfaction in the guests who did not realize this was the plan.  After one season, they went back to day transits.  Maybe @BillB48 could shed some light on this.  Hapag-Lloyd's Europa is also awaiting transit, but she has no guests onboard so maybe could do a night transit.  Her cancelled itinerary had her scheduled to transit last week.  EM

Regarding ports; Port Tampa may be shorter sailing than Port Everglades; there have been emergency field hospitals and rapid testing sites setup near the Villages; only about an hour outside of Tampa; so that may be a viable solution. 

Just heard from brother onboard.  He and his wife were transferred to rotterdam today.  He said it was pretty much chaos but they feel fortunate to be on Rotterdam.  No symptoms.  Still not sure of next stop but are resigned to idea it will probably involve a 14 day quarantine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1