How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

1 minute ago, ldambra said:

Well Lester Holt, on tonights US NBC Nightly News, just interviewed a J&J rep who said that their Corona vaccine will be ready for trials in September. Good News! So this global pandemic will all be over “real soon”.

image.thumb.jpeg.f92452fc3a6174f9988a77b7ed02ce0d.jpeg

So all the brilliant people, from around the world, who are working on development of a vaccine, can stop work!

(That include my neighbour's SIL, who didn't mention what he was doing.)

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

A quiet day for us yesterday, our 46th wedding anniversary. Usually we would have gone out for lunch or dinner. We  were able to speak to our grandsons by Facetime. Our son phones one of us most days to check how we are and we have text messages from our daughter each day. 

I went to the supermarket, bakery and butcher early this morning to buy some supplies. Not many around, a few people getting their coffees on the way to work and a few like me trying to stay away from the crowds. I managed to get a ham hock, so Rob can make pea and ham soup this afternoon. I had bought packets of split peas a few weeks ago. So all good to go. 

The lawn mower man is due this morning, so we will stay inside while he is here. Perhaps a short walk after lunch will be nice. We noticed quite a few families go past our house yesterday, walking their dogs or riding their bikes.

Leigh

Congratulations on your 46th wedding anniversary.  Nice that your family members keep in touch regularly. 

Pea and ham soup sounds delicious, with a short walk after lunch sounds perfect.  

Lawn mower man will be fine.  I had a call from a plumber saying he could install my toilet earlier than planned.  I had to say no, as I'm self isolated and it is a tiny shack.  No problem - he'll phone again at a later date.  ? How much later is the question.

We went on a walk with the dogs at the end of the Spit this morning - food for the soul.  It was good to see from a distance there was still a life out there - young people putting on wet suits for surfing, boating, and a magpie in full voice.

Did you hear about the town in Italy where you can only walk with dogs.  Neighbours are borrowing dogs to walk.  Dogs are said to be exhausted!

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

A quiet day for us yesterday, our 46th wedding anniversary. 

Leigh

Happy anniversary for yesterday!!

We have noticed how quiet it is here in Penrith. People are clearly mostly following the 'rules'. I walked to shops yesterday just to get a couple of things - shouldn't have to shop again until weekend (saving lots of money). Walking along it is clear that many. many are acutely aware of social distancing. From maybe 40m away, people start to move to one side to give a generous spacing as they pass.

And all very civilized in the shops, unlike the TV scenes of the ferals from a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Congratulations on your 46th wedding anniversary.  Nice that your family members keep in touch regularly. 

Pea and ham soup sounds delicious, with a short walk after lunch sounds perfect.  

Lawn mower man will be fine.  I had a call from a plumber saying he could install my toilet earlier than planned.  I had to say no, as I'm self isolated and it is a tiny shack.  No problem - he'll phone again at a later date.  ? How much later is the question.

We went on a walk with the dogs at the end of the Spit this morning - food for the soul.  It was good to see from a distance there was still a life out there - young people putting on wet suits for surfing, boating, and a magpie in full voice.

Did you hear about the town in Italy where you can only walk with dogs.  Neighbours are borrowing dogs to walk.  Dogs are said to be exhausted!

Thanks MMDown Under. My husband makes much better pea and ham soup than I do but I make all the rest we have.

I hadn't heard about the town in Italy. It brought a smile to my face, as I could just imagine trying to pull an exhausted dog along the footpath! 😀

Leigh

9 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Happy anniversary for yesterday!!

We have noticed how quiet it is here in Penrith. People are clearly mostly following the 'rules'. I walked to shops yesterday just to get a couple of things - shouldn't have to shop again until weekend (saving lots of money). Walking along it is clear that many. many are acutely aware of social distancing. From maybe 40m away, people start to move to one side to give a generous spacing as they pass.

And all very civilized in the shops, unlike the TV scenes of the ferals from a few weeks ago.

Thanks Mr Walker!  Yes much better to go to supermarket than a few weeks ago!

Leigh

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks MMDown Under. My husband makes much better pea and ham soup than I do but I make all the rest we have.

I hadn't heard about the town in Italy. It brought a smile to my face, as I could just imagine trying to pull an exhausted dog along the footpath! 😀

Leigh

All husbands seem to have a speciality which they make better than their wives.  Much praise and appreciation from wife and children.  Meanwhile, wife makes meals for other six nights, which are just a given!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, possum52 said:

A quiet day for us yesterday, our 46th wedding anniversary. Usually we would have gone out for lunch or dinner. We  were able to speak to our grandsons by Facetime. Our son phones one of us most days to check how we are and we have text messages from our daughter each day. 

I managed to get a ham hock, so Rob can make pea and ham soup this afternoon. I had bought packets of split peas a few weeks ago. So all good to go. 

Leigh

A big Happy Anniversary from us Leigh!

I made up some soup with chicken stock I had made and frozen.

I am slow cooking meats, making double meals and freezing, just trying to minimize how often I have to go out.

Trying to go shopping fortnightly now. Andy goes to and from work each day, straight home and doesn't work with the public, so our contact with the outside world is minimal.

Keep safe

xx

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ldambra said:

Well Lester Holt, on tonight’s US NBC Nightly News, just interviewed a J&J rep. She said that their Corona vaccine will be ready for trials in September. Good News! So this global pandemic will all be over “real soon” now.

The trial will last 3 or 4 weeks? 1 week for approval? Time to mass produce the vaccine 2 or 3 months to cover world and get it to the people. I will predict things starting to get back to normal start of the new year.

Hopefully cruising again by the end of 2021. though I am not sure what cruising will be like when it comes back?

1 minute ago, cheznandy said:

I am slow cooking meats, making double meals and freezing, just trying to minimize how often I have to go out.

Trying to go shopping fortnightly now. Andy goes to and from work each day, straight home and doesn't work with the public, so our contact with the outside world is minimal.

Keep safe

xx

I have been self isolated since 20/3 (day 13).  The week before I shopped at Coles, Woolies (7am to support the Seniors initiative) Aldi, T-Bones and finally Bunnings.  Food still lasting, veg and herb seedlings still alive!

3 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Driving lines.....Police driver training. Race car drivers do it really well if you watch them taking those bends  at speed.

I did a couple of rides on the Oxley between Wauchope and Walcha last year and another this year. I arrived at Mt Seaview Resort after riding up Thunderbolts Way in fog and rain. Took it all VERY carefully. Next day was fine and I rode from Mt Seaview to Walcha and practised my lines ( I was a riding instructor in a previous life). Coming back from Walcha to Mt Seaview I added speed and braking to the list. It was a great ride and gets the adrenaline going even when sticking to the 80kph limit. It's a brilliant piece of road for those of us who enjoy 2 wheels. Excellent road surface and plenty of advisory signs but should be treated with respect, especially if towing a van.

When riding UP Thunderbolts Way from Barrington to Nowendoc I've often savoured(?) the smell of burning brakes from cars with vans coming down. Some drivers have no concept of using gears and engine compression to slow their progress.

Sorry about the OT

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

Keep safe

xx

Thanks Cheryl and Andy. My attempts at making stock have not been very successful I must admit so I admire you! We have soup all year round so there is usually a supply in the freezer. We are shopping a couple of times a week to get fruit and veggies but go early to avoid crowds. I was actually surprised at how few people were at the shopping centre. we have quite a few family birthdays in April and May so I am ordering gifts online and posting cards which I bought a supply of but I did forget stamps and have run out! I'll have to go to the post office later in the week. 

Take care! Stay sane!

Leigh

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I did a couple of rides on the Oxley between Wauchope and Walcha last year and another this year. I arrived at Mt Seaview Resort after riding up Thunderbolts Way in fog and rain. Took it all VERY carefully. Next day was fine and I rode from Mt Seaview to Walcha and practised my lines ( I was a riding instructor in a previous life). Coming back from Walcha to Mt Seaview I added speed and braking to the list. It was a great ride and gets the adrenaline going even when sticking to the 80kph limit. It's a brilliant piece of road for those of us who enjoy 2 wheels. Excellent road surface and plenty of advisory signs but should be treated with respect, especially if towing a van.

When riding UP Thunderbolts Way from Barrington to Nowendoc I've often savoured(?) the smell of burning brakes from cars with vans coming down. Some drivers have no concept of using gears and engine compression to slow their progress.

Sorry about the OT

The cafes in our town of Wauchope have become popular for riders, there are also lots of things on at the showground through out the year for clubs etc.

We have seen some crazy caravan drivers in out time towing. 

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We  are waiting for our Woolworths home delivery, I will have to bring it in from the door quickly, for fear someone will purloin the TP therein.

Hope you get the TP Les, our neighbours still in quarantine were eligible for home delivery so ordered online and no TP.

That was with Woolieworths🤣 although it looks like the supplies are staying stocked, it's the meat.

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We  are waiting for our Woolworths home delivery, I will have to bring it in from the door quickly, for fear someone will purloin the TP therein.

You shouldn't purloin TP but wipe your loin (or bits of it anyway).

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Congratulations for yesterday.

• Like 1

We went out for a walk this morning. Spotted seven bears (three in one house), a crocodile and a panda. For those that don't know what that means there is a Bear Hunt initiative going where people put teddy bears in their windows for kids (and the young at heart) to spot when they are out for a walk. Very cute! Apparently it's happening in several countries - I first heard of it from a friend in NZ.

I make all my own stock. It's far nicer than most of the bought stuff and I can control what's in it. The real key is having a very large stockpot and an electric hotplate - you can't get the right slow simmer with gas. It needs a really, really slow simmer - a rate of one or two bubbles every 30 seconds. I let it simmer overnight, strain it and refrigerate it, next day I skim off any fat and pack it in one and two cup serves for the freezer. Once it's frozen solid I vac-pack it - it takes up less room in the freezer that way. I usually make chicken stock and beef stock, but made duck stock the other week after roasting a duck. After Christmas I made turkey stock from the carcass, then made turkey noodle soup. It was so yummy that when I ran out I went and bought a couple of packs of turkey wings and used those to make stock and more soup. 

We'll be doing the seniors supermarket run tomorrow morning. I've fairly well stocked for veges but will review that on Friday and go to the greengrocer and butcher then if we need everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Cheryl and Andy. My attempts at making stock have not been very successful I must admit so I admire you! We have soup all year round so there is usually a supply in the freezer. We are shopping a couple of times a week to get fruit and veggies but go early to avoid crowds. I was actually surprised at how few people were at the shopping centre. we have quite a few family birthdays in April and May so I am ordering gifts online and posting cards which I bought a supply of but I did forget stamps and have run out! I'll have to go to the post office later in the week. 

Take care! Stay sane!

Leigh

I'll give you some tips on making good stock which is the base of all good soups. 

Just now, NSWP said:

Help please.  I tried to join Woolies delivery.  Inputted all the data requested  Then bottom right hand corner it just went round and round.  Left it for ages, but no change.  Does that mean the system is overloaded?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We went out for a walk this morning. Spotted seven bears (three in one house), a crocodile and a panda. For those that don't know what that means there is a Bear Hunt initiative going where people put teddy bears in their windows for kids (and the young at heart) to spot when they are out for a walk. Very cute! Apparently it's happening in several countries - I first heard of it from a friend in NZ.

We have had bears in the front windows for a couple of weeks now. The granddaughter helped decorate the windows with them.Some cars are slowing down to look.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

We have had bears in the front windows for a couple of weeks now. The granddaughter helped decorate the windows with them.Some cars are slowing down to look.

Our house is well below street level and the windows are not visible from the road or footpath. I'd put something in the carport but inevitably some lowlife would steal it, unfortunately. Mind you that does make it easy to get rid of stuff we don't want, although it took six months for my old pair of skis to disappear.🤣

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our house is well below street level and the windows are not visible from the road or footpath. I'd put something in the carport but inevitably some lowlife would steal it, unfortunately. Mind you that does make it easy to get rid of stuff we don't want, although it took six months for my old pair of skis to disappear.🤣

LOl, water skis or snow skis

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

We got the TP.   Ordered Sunday arvo, arrived this arvo.  All decent fruit and veggies with it as well.

Leigh, I would say the website has crashed, try later.