How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

Now looking at our two boxes of masks.... .

now just wondering  where and how it will all end......

Really getting bored but we do have four walls and roof and some wine under the bed...

It is time for a G&T   and think that it is the first time ever one has cancelled a holiday..... ( guess one's been lucky )

Cheers and stay save... in our strange new world....... Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dillpickle48 said:

Playing Bridge would be good at the moment.  I'd make a call of NO TRUMPS.

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Isn't that euchre? or 500?.

Bridge and 500. Euchre doesn't have suits called so there are no No Trumps, but you could euchre a trump.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

It could happen, another full border closure for Qld. Mammoth task for the police etc trying to control the many crossing points, as there is on the NSW/Vic border with 76 crossing points.  The police overtime bill would be mounting for the state governments.

NSW Premier not in agreement with Qld. Premier's request to move the check point south to Banora Point in NSW.  I would have thought that would be common sense and make life easier for Tweed residents.  At present the Border Control is in the middle of the Tweed/Coolangatta City.  Agree the overtime bill will be huge for Border Control in Qld/NSW, as well as NSW/Vic border.

No it is not.  Gold Coast is a much bigger city with development stretched out all along the Coast.  Tweed has less spread out development so has more suitable places for border control.  I'm disappointed at the attitude of the NSW Premier, as it is the Tweed residents who are the most impacted by the traffic delays in their city.  

On 7/21/2020 at 10:51 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I read somewhere that they are starting to do them in 24 hours in some labs. Would the swabs have to be sent to Sydney from Batemans Bay or are they able to be processed locally?

There is now a less than 24 hr turn around re testing, as testing numbers have dropped, locals are reporting that on FaceAche, like got tested at 4pm yesterday and got results at 7am this morning by text.   I went for my walk this morning past the Covid Testing drive thru station at Hanging Rock Boat Ramp, which is about 2km south of Batemans Bay CBD,  two lines of testers and only a dozen cars, so the Lab can handle the load.  They are doing a great job.

• Like 3

First day of compulsory wearing of masks down here in Metropolitan Melbourne.  Everyone was wearing one except for one guy I saw drinking his takeaway coffee while standing beside his car.  If you've not had the "pleasure" of wearing a mask before be warned - it gets rather hot in there and if you need to wear spectacles, they'll fog up very quickly.  LOL I couldn't see  where I was going after about 30 seconds so sat my specs on the top of my head and only lowered them if I needed to read something.  Annoying IMO.  But it is what it is.  There's no way I'm going to cop a $200 fine that's for sure.

Oh, also, if talking to anyone, speak a little louder.  The mask can muffle your voice somewhat.  I had trouble hearing the checkout chic at Aldi telling me how much I was up for.  Ladies (oh, and blokes too if that's your thing?) I suggest no lippie - it'll only get smudged in these things.

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

No it is not.  Gold Coast is a much bigger city with development stretched out all along the Coast.  Tweed has less spread out development so has more suitable places for border control.  I'm disappointed at the attitude of the NSW Premier, as it is the Tweed residents who are the most impacted by the traffic delays in their city.  

And that's why there was no resolution. Equally it can be said "Coolangatta has less spread out development."

I'm disappointed at those who take parochial lines in the sand, instead of trying to find a solution. But this is a situation of QLD's own making so the onus - and fault - is on them to come up with a workable solution. Not NSW which didn't take this border decision up. It's not NSW's job to do whatever QLD requests, just because it suits QLD.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

First day of compulsory wearing of masks down here in Metropolitan Melbourne.  Everyone was wearing one except for one guy I saw drinking his takeaway coffee while standing beside his car.  If you've not had the "pleasure" of wearing a mask before be warned - it gets rather hot in there and if you need to wear spectacles, they'll fog up very quickly.  LOL I couldn't see  where I was going after about 30 seconds so sat my specs on the top of my head and only lowered them if I needed to read something.  Annoying IMO.  But it is what it is.  There's no way I'm going to cop a $200 fine that's for sure.

Oh, also, if talking to anyone, speak a little louder.  The mask can muffle your voice somewhat.  I had trouble hearing the checkout chic at Aldi telling me how much I was up for.  Ladies (oh, and blokes too if that's your thing?) I suggest no lippie - it'll only get smudged in these things.

Thanks for the update, going to be a bugger in the summer, wearing the masks, any chance people might suffocate.  They might have to invent a mask that permits people to sip their lattes, short blacks and cappucinos without a drama, Melbourne does great coffee.  One good thing though re the mask, you could miss having a shave (men that is !!) for a couple of days and no one would notice !!   I will pass on the 'lipstick issue.' 🤣

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

And that's why there was no resolution. Equally it can be said "Coolangatta has less spread out development."

I'm disappointed at those who take parochial lines in the sand, instead of trying to find a solution. But this is a situation of QLD's own making so the onus - and fault - is on them to come up with a workable solution. Not NSW which didn't take this border decision up. It's not NSW's job to do whatever QLD requests, just because it suits QLD.

Agree, let Qld Premier sort out the border issue, they bunged it on.

Well masks can be an issue with the glasses. I sometimes have the wear them at my work (wood dust) and if you get it just right the glasses won't fog. I have been wearing a mask from time to time when I can't properly distance and it does get uncomfortable.

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Agree, let Qld Premier sort out the border issue, they bunged it on.

Actually it was the Gold Coast Mayor who originally suggested the border control be shifted south to solve the traffic chaos in the Tweed.  (The traffic backs up in NSW, not in Qld.)  My daughter lives in the Gold Coast, Qld. and normally works in the Tweed, so we know the border region well.  I thought the suggestion was a common sense one, but disappointingly it became political.  

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Actually it was the Gold Coast Mayor who originally suggested the border control be shifted south to solve the traffic chaos in the Tweed.  (The traffic backs up in NSW, not in Qld.)  My daughter lives in the Gold Coast, Qld. and normally works in the Tweed, so we know the border region well.  I thought the suggestion was a common sense one, but disappointingly it became political.  

My sister lives at Currumbin and works casual at Woollies Tweed Heads, my brother lives at Nerang and works at a printer in Tweed Heads.  They have been having a lot of problems going to and from, the delays etc. Although eased now.

Edited by NSWP

42 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

We find if we put our mask on first, then our specs, the bottom of which then cover the top of the mask, there is very little fogging. 

Leigh

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My sister lives at Currumbin and works casual at Woollies Tweed Heads, my brother lives at Nerang and works at a printer in Tweed Heads.  They have been a lot of problem going to and from, the delays etc.

Yes, it must be a big inconvenience for GC locals, who work within business hours, getting home.  My daughter used to start work very early and work late. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LC1950 said:

I saw this youtube video re glasses and a possible solution for fogging that might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrYFvE_mCU4

Possum52's idea of glasses sitting on top of the mask edge is another idea that I have heard helps.

Someone sent me this as an idea for drinking with a mask.

image.png.23731463944fbb2a7a0b9ecc1bb05914.png

Julie

2 hours ago, LC1950 said:

What sort of mask are you wearing? If it's a disposable one it should have a thin metal strip at the top which you press around your nose so the mask is shaped closer there.This stops your glasses fogging.

I'm using a disposable one OzKiwi and Possum and yes, I press the metal thingie around my nose (which isn't a BIG nose by the way) then specs on top and they're fogging up.   After checking Frantic's suggested youtube clip I'll try a tissue next time I have to go out.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  Boy, we live in interesting times, don't we?  Who'd have thought things would ever get like this?

Oh well, onward and upward.  And for goodness sake - keep safe and stay healthy cruisers.

• Like 3

I've been experimenting with making cloth masks today. 

The first one, based on measurements from a US website, was a too small even for me.

The second one, based on 25cm x 25cms which I'd seen online a couple of times, was too big for me but DH likes it so his will all be that size.

Then I split the difference and did one 23.5cm x 23.5cm and that will be perfect for once I adjust the length of the elastic, it's a bit loose at the moment.

This is my one, DH's has blue fabric as the outer layer.

20200723_172026.jpg

• Like 2