More Ships into Melbourne Sat 28/3

17 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Victorian Premier on news tonight said no way are any passengers getting off any ships. They refuel and other what other resources i.e food etc. But noone disembarking.

Careful. Saying such stuff gets you accused of being a NIMBY here.  

26 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Careful. Saying such stuff gets you accused of being a NIMBY here.  

I don’t even know what a NIMBY means or stands for. Whoever got issue with the statement can take it up with Daniel Andrews directly. 

14 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I don’t even know what a NIMBY means or stands for. Whoever got issue with the statement can take it up with Daniel Andrews directly. 

Oh I don't have any issues at all. I'm apparently a NIMBY too even though it's not my backyard! 

I can understand the Vic Premier saying that no-one gets off the ships. However, if there was a health emergency I believe he would be obliged to soften that stance. If an Aussie was sick stuck on a ship off another country, we hope they would allow the person to be taken ashore for the required medical treatment.

I've been pretty vocal about leaving passengers stuck at sea. I'm a little confused here. Are these ships carrying passengers or just fueling and provisioning for crew? If they have passengers that are to be disembarked then everybody gets tested and everybody going ashore gets quarantined; the port is protected, the passengers are safer ashore and the process of sanitizing the ship and making it safer for the crew begins.

If the Pacific Princess has passengers aboard who can't fly how the H--l did they get to the embarkation point in the first place?

Let's hope common sense prevails and these operations can be concluded the right way, we all know that so far these have all been varying examples of how not to do it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I've been pretty vocal about leaving passengers stuck at sea. I'm a little confused here. Are these ships carrying passengers or just fueling and provisioning for crew? If they have passengers that are to be disembarked then everybody gets tested and everybody going ashore gets quarantined; the port is protected, the passengers are safer ashore and the process of sanitizing the ship and making it safer for the crew begins.

If the Pacific Princess has passengers aboard who can't fly how the H--l did they get to the embarkation point in the first place?

Let's hope common sense prevails and these operations can be concluded the right way, we all know that so far these have all been varying examples of how not to do it. 

The Pacific Princess cruise is a round-the-world westward from Fort Lauderdale. Passengers who were able to fly back to USA, did so a couple of weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Pacific Princess cruise is a round-the-world westward from Fort Lauderdale. Passengers who were able to fly back to USA, did so a couple of weeks ago.

So Pacific Princess has been floating around trying to figure what to do for 2 weeks? Okay, shouldn't the cruise have been terminated as soon as the suspend operations order came down? Man I must be thick because I'm still confused. Also if these ships are disembarking passengers then the cruise line should be picking up the tab for quarantine, not the Australian tax payer. But  Also if these ships are going to stand offshore at anchor for the next few months they will need to come alongside to fuel and re-provision. I think that ships which may start the Alaskan cruise season should come alongside with crew only in Vancouver where there is shore power, that's right I suggested the port in my back yard to lay over some of these empty ships.. Crews can be tested and isolated properly on board and they can fly home out of YVR one of 4 Canadian Airports open to international flights. There is also a substantial drydock here in Victoria. I don't know of availability but it has been used by cruise ships for refits for many years. Yes I do have an idea of the logistics of a refit, I used to work for a company heavily involved with cruise ship refits.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So Pacific Princess has been floating around trying to figure what to do for 2 weeks? Okay, shouldn't the cruise have been terminated as soon as the suspend operations order came down? Man I must be thick because I'm still confused. Also if these ships are disembarking passengers then the cruise line should be picking up the tab for quarantine, not the Australian tax payer. But  Also if these ships are going to stand offshore at anchor for the next few months they will need to come alongside to fuel and re-provision.

The Pacific Princess was in the Indian Ocean when the decision was made to terminate all cruises. They turned around and (from memory) sailed to Fremantle where they disembarked those passengers who could fly home. There were comments that HAL was shipping home passengers excess luggage. Passengers (115 of them from memory) who were not fit to fly, stayed on the ship for its return to USA. There has never been any suggestion that these passengers would disembark in Melbourne or anywhere else in Australia. They had their chance when the ship was in Fremantle.

The cruise was scheduled to end in Fort Lauderdale on 26th April. Pacific Princess is currently off the south-east coast of Australia, heading north east, presumably on course for USA.

Thanks Aus Traveler for clearing that up. And there are others putting in at Melbourne? have they got passengers or are they crew only coming in for fuel and provisions in preparation to lay off at anchor for the next 6 weeks? All these ships are going to look like crap when it is time to get back in service. 

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Aus Traveler for clearing that up. And there are others putting in at Melbourne? have they got passengers or are they crew only coming in for fuel and provisions in preparation to lay off at anchor for the next 6 weeks? All these ships are going to look like crap when it is time to get back in service. 

Only crew on board I think. Golden has been here since returning from NZ nearly two weeks ago when her passengers disembarked. 

Leigh

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The cruise was scheduled to end in Fort Lauderdale on 26th April. Pacific Princess is currently off the south-east coast of Australia, heading north east, presumably on course for USA.

At least heading that way she will have US ports to call at on the way ,namely Pago Pago and Honolulu

Golden was homeporting in Melbourne. So, returned from cruise, disembarked passengers and remains moored. No passengers allowed off until test results were returned.

Viking Orion had come in early on. Disembarked passengers and is now at anchor in Port Phillip Bay.

Pacific Princess, explained.

Seabourn Sojourn came from Fremantle. Not sure if it had passengers.  Has refuelled and provisioned and now gone. Marinetraffic said heading to Japan.

we have the several ships off Fremantle.  Some passengers going into quarantine on Rottnest. Some back home to New Zealand. Other ships refused permission to berth.

Ruby Princess is our biggest worry after disembarking in Sydney, with something like 200 passengers subsequently having tested positive. They are spread all around the place and some still not contacted.

Ruby is now anchored out of Sydney. Three crew were taken off today for medical treatment.

Various lines have made different decisions about what to do with passengers — depending on the nature of their trip. QM2 disembarked almost all world cruise passengers in Fremantle who flew home. A handful who cannot fly are enjoying the cruise back to Southampton. QM2 currently outside South Africa being refused entry to Durban.

Queen Victoria disembarked US passengers in Florida, but sailing back to Southampton with UK folk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't think there are any other cruise ships with passengers. The last few were heading for Fremantle - the German ship the Artania, the MSC Magnifica and the last one is the CMV Vasco de Gama with Aussies and NZ'ers on board. The Aussies will be quarantined on Rottnest Island (gorgeous place) and the NZ'ers will be flown home for their quarantine.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I heard an interview from a passenger from the Vasco just now. She said that they expected there would be issues related to Covid as it was here before they boarded. But she said they had no choice but to go because the cruiseline wouldn't cancel and they would lose their money. She said they felt they were more at risk of getting Covid now as they'd been protected and might be more likely to catch it on arrival. She didn't say if she knew she may be up for a minimum of 14 more days in quarantine then if flying say to SA, another 14 days. 

• Like 1

Feel sorry if they have to go through 28 days quarantine

We are on day 13 quarantine from our cruise which ended half way through at Adelaide with Seabourn flying us back to NZ 24 hours too late so we ended up in self quarantine for 14 days.  I have had enough. I can see my car, I can see the other vehicles going past our door but not allowed to join in with them. I reckon they knew we had to stay home and were smiling as they went past.  Even got a phone call today asking if we had any symptoms and where we were. At least soon we can leave the house to buy some decent food as we have been living what was in the fridge   

6 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

Feel sorry if they have to go through 28 days quarantine

We are on day 13 quarantine from our cruise which ended half way through at Adelaide with Seabourn flying us back to NZ 24 hours too late so we ended up in self quarantine for 14 days.  I have had enough. I can see my car, I can see the other vehicles going past our door but not allowed to join in with them. I reckon they knew we had to stay home and were smiling as they went past.  Even got a phone call today asking if we had any symptoms and where we were. At least soon we can leave the house to buy some decent food as we have been living what was in the fridge   

We'll have to celebrate - only one day to go!  I wish I knew how long our voluntary self isolation was for.  Reading between the lines, the period keeps getting longer.

You must have had a well stocked fridge! Hope you find the food and supplies you want in the shops.  

It would have been nice if we could have gone to the shops for one day

The neighbors did give us some milk and we did get $120 worth of pizzas delivered to the front door before home deliveries of fast food was shut down. Its funny the things you miss, I want a Big Mac or KFC as they keep putting ads on TV telling me to eat them but you cant buy them.😀 Its funny the things you take for granted which you now cant get due to the lock down.

I am glad we just got home unlike all those others still trapped on cruise ships around the world locked up in tiny cabins

But in reality we have been self isolating anyway for the last couple of weeks, that's what we all need to do. Getting food delivered.  Haven't seen the kids and grandchild during that time. Won't for a few months yet. It isn't much different on the outside. 

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We'll have to celebrate - only one day to go!  I wish I knew how long our voluntary self isolation was for.  Reading between the lines, the period keeps getting longer.

You must have had a well stocked fridge! Hope you find the food and supplies you want in the shops.  

We have been self isolating for two and a half weeks now. I am sorry to say, I don't think the situation is going to change for months. I am hoping that there is not a lot of community transmission. If there is, the current restrictions could go on for many months.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have been self isolating for two and a half weeks now. I am sorry to say, I don't think the situation is going to change for months. I am hoping that there is not a lot of community transmission. If there is, the current restrictions could go on for many months.

I agree.  Seems a lot of community transmission goes undetected.  So it must be hard to obtain correct figures 

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agree. Flattening the curve = prolonging the process. 6 months. September. Please.