The "Buffet" and the Future of Cruising

wilsonsmw

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 12:28 PM, Loracpin2 said:

With our ages now at 72 and 76 and after almost 50 cruises (with 30+ on Celebrity), I'm hoping we will even want to board another cruise ship no matter what sanitary changes the cruise lines implement or modify.

with all this crap going on with several cruise ships; a week+ at a Sandals resort in the Caribbean starting to sound really nice! :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Pickels said:

with all this crap going on with several cruise ships; a week+ at a Sandals resort in the Caribbean starting to sound really nice! :classic_biggrin:

Closed until mid-May. Then to be reassessed.

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Hogging chairs is rude and annoying but ultimately harms no one. Filling your water bottle directly from the water dispenser at the drink station poses a potential risk to the health and safety of other passengers and really is stupid.

My point was more that these individuals don’t care about the potential risk any more than they care about hogging pool chairs. Being stupid does not come into it in my view, it’s just another self centred act.

17 minutes ago, yorky said:

My point was more that these individuals don’t care about the potential risk any more than they care about hogging pool chairs. Being stupid does not come into it in my view, it’s just another self centred act.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Covidiots who choose to party on the beach in large groups with no social distancing (think Florida March break) are not bright but self-centred, they are stupid. Or stupid and self-centred, but definitely stupid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing will make the spread of viruses diminish appreciably. Covers, additional servers etc. are band aids on deep sucking flesh wounds.  

The world will be a much different place when this corona virus dies down. 

Good luck to us all. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Covidiots who choose to party on the beach in large groups with no social distancing (think Florida March break) are not bright but self-centred, they are stupid. Or stupid and self-centred, but definitely stupid.

What about the 40 students from Texas partying in Los Cabos during March break; all tested positive for Covid 19. Where are these kids parents? Grocery stores here open 7 am to pensioners. I start at the back of the store armed with a list, use self checkout in and out in 20 minutes.  Only saw 2 other shoppers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

What about the 40 students from Texas partying in Los Cabos during March break; all tested positive for Covid 19. Where are these kids parents? Grocery stores here open 7 am to pensioners. I start at the back of the store armed with a list, use self checkout in and out in 20 minutes.  Only saw 2 other shoppers.

Agree, these students and others that ignore the rules are selfish, thinking only of themselves, not others that they will infect.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not condoning this behavior but we were all young once and ignored advice and at that age there is some sense of being invincible.   Selfish and not thinking, yes. 

Yes but assuming these kids have parents who would be at least 40 plus years of age who would know better.  Where's the guidance?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not condoning this behavior but we were all young once and ignored advice and at that age there is some sense of being invincible.   Selfish and not thinking, yes. 

Sadly with Covid  19 age is not immunity, we have had very young individuals in the UK with no underlying conditions die.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yorky said:

Sadly with Covid  19 age is not immunity, we have had very young individuals in the UK with no underlying conditions die.

IMO no one, no matter their age is immune from this monster. And if there are some assuming otherwise... well I'll just leave it at that! 🤬

4 minutes ago, yorky said:

Yes totally agree with you.  But there is a strong correlation in COVID-19-positive people worldwide between increasing age and risk of hospitalization and death.  That does not mean that there will not be younger people getting sick and dying too, but statistically much less of a probability.  Again, I am not condoning younger folks partying on the beach.  They could be the majority of asymptomatic carriers spreading the virus and risking the health of others, even their parents and particularly their grandparents.  They should definitely know that and behave accordingly.

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes totally agree with you.  But there is a strong correlation in COVID-19-positive people worldwide between increasing age and risk of hospitalization and death.  That does not mean that there will not be younger people getting sick and dying too, but statistically much less of a probability.  Again, I am not condoning younger folks partying on the beach.  They could be the majority of asymptomatic carriers spreading the virus and risking the health of others, even their parents and particularly their grandparents.  They should definitely know that and behave accordingly.

Just been announced that a 5 year old has died from Covid 19

I would like to hear from the cruise lines what their plan is for resumption of cruising.

If they continue on the same path before they were shut down, they will get quickly shut down again.

Buffet servers would help the issue.  Social distancing would also help.  

Testing temperature before the cruise helps but is not very effective as the majority are asympotomatic.

It would be nice to hear that the cruise lines actually had an effective plan.  Crickets...

Airlines and public transit have similiar issues to deal with.

Edited by NMTraveller

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would like to hear from the cruise lines what their plan is for resumption of cruising.

If they continue on the same path before they were shut down, they will get quickly shut down again.

Buffet servers would help the issue.  Social distancing would also help.  

Testing temperature before the cruise helps but is not very effective as the majority are asympotomatic.

It would be nice to hear that the cruise lines actually had an effective plan.  Crickets...

Airlines and public transit have similiar issues to deal with.

I doubt the cruise lines know what the future plans are going to be at this point. I read an article yesterday that Abbott Labs has a new Covid test that can give results in fifteen minutes or less. The article stated that this may become part of the pre-boarding procedure. Who knows but things will change. Just my opinion. I don’t see cruises for the remainder of this year or if there is it will not be all ships in service. Good article below.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-lines-could-store-ships-months-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0MJH0DVWblYbRwDRqxf6dHCLh71H14KsCEvYl-glSi0QUSqnJUOyOd6ko

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Where are these kids parents?

That's an easy one--- They are probably doing the same thing .

" If the learner hasn't learned, the teacher hasn't taught " , or something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

I doubt the cruise lines know what the future plans are going to be at this point. I read an article yesterday that Abbott Labs has a new Covid test that can give results in fifteen minutes or less. The article stated that this may become part of the pre-boarding procedure. Who knows but things will change. Just my opinion. I don’t see cruises for the remainder of this year or if there is it will not be all ships in service. Good article below.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-lines-could-store-ships-months-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0MJH0DVWblYbRwDRqxf6dHCLh71H14KsCEvYl-glSi0QUSqnJUOyOd6ko

You can be reactive or proactive.

Delta Airlines is attempting to be proactive.  The cruise lines IMHO are reactive.

Much better to be proactive.

Edited by NMTraveller

22 hours ago, sanger727 said:

As far as the water bottles go... Most reusable water bottles have a spout that you remove prior to filling. Those I will fill up because using a cup to transfer is no more sanitary and it just takes extra time, clogging the station up. I haven't ever actually seen someone attempt to fill a "single use" water bottle at a drink dispenser. But I agree that if the portion you mouth touches is held up to the dispenser that that is unsanitary and inappropriate.

I've seen it a numbers of times with "single use" bottles on Celebrity.