Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Packed our suitcases for flying out to Anchorage on Friday for the upcoming Alaska cruise – first cruise in 4 plus years. Super excited but also stressful to be traveling nowadays.

image.thumb.jpeg.dbbe6be35a07be3c210c4630bfeab1dd.jpeg

Took our online proctored Covid tests today (all negative) before we finally feel like we are “allowed” to cruise.  In case anyone needs to cruise in near future, we booked OnPoint proctoring ($15/pp) on Zoom meeting using the free Covid kits you get from the government.

image.thumb.jpeg.ccdf25c692496b0ada4c5addc4358fe4.jpeg

This has been a cruise with many changes as both departing and returning flights were cancelled by airlines after we booked them and we had to rebook both.

Then with the landslide at Skagway, we lost that port two weeks stop two weeks and had to do a crash course on YouTube to see what’s happening at Icy Strait Point. Very sad as we had an excursion planned and my kids have never been to Skagway.

But as the great philosophers Beatles once said, life goes on.  Guess as long as I have enough clean underwear on the cruise, I’m good…

Have a great cruise Harry!  Looking forward to hearing about it and seeing a few line and big butt photos.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Now for something random.  In our travels the other day, we ended up eating in that fine dining restaurant known as Cracker Barrel. 😏

It seems that this has become one of my CA grandson’s favorites, and we will take him anywhere he will eat good.   We don’t want to return him weighing less than we got him. 😂

I was being a good role model and ordered Double Fudge Coca Cola Cake for my meal, and I wanted something to drink that would go well with it.   I was surprised to find this on the menu!

6BD0F0DB-482E-4928-A71A-22469222F3FF.thumb.jpeg.dc3bff45aee4c894af2a2a88411fd968.jpeg

I don’t remember ever seeing alcohol on any Cracker Barrel menu, but this one in Ohio had several choices.   It actually was not too bad, and was as good as any Jack and Coke I have had.

Did you happen to notice if these came premixed with ginger ale?  Jack and Ginger is my go-to drink if I want to make something simple.

• Like 3

One of our Swallowtail caterpillars has transformed himself into a chrysalis.  You can see the thin silk-like thread he made to attach himself to the parsley stem.

image.thumb.jpeg.dc3aef677877a2e7e050e569278dd01a.jpeg

This is the same one from a different angle.

image.thumb.jpeg.7d71ad6a22e8f601e93b544da497b707.jpeg

• Like 21

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

WooHoo!  Let the fun begin!   Hope you have an awesome cruise.  We look forward to your photos.  Will you be doing a live review?

Which ship?

looks like this is his ship and itinerary   Princess Majestic (Southbound one way including Glacier Bay)

• Day 1: Anchorage (Whittier) Alaska
    • Sat Aug 06 2022 | Depart 08:30 PM
    • Day 2: Hubbard Glacier (Scenic Cruising) Alaska
    • Sun Aug 07 2022 | 03:00 PM To 08:00 PM
    • Day 3: Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising) Alaska
    • Mon Aug 08 2022 | 09:15 AM To 07:30 PM
    • Day 4: Icy Strait Point Alaska
    • Tue Aug 09 2022 | 07:00 AM To 08:30 PM
    • Day 5: Juneau Alaska
    • Wed Aug 10 2022 | 06:30 AM To 04:00 PM
    • Day 6: Ketchikan Alaska
    • Thu Aug 11 2022 | 08:00 AM To 02:45 PM
    • Day 7: Day At Sea
    • Fri Aug 12 2022 |
    • Day 8: Vancouver Canada
    • Sat Aug 13 2022 | Arrive 03:30 AM
Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Packed our suitcases for flying out to Anchorage on Friday for the upcoming Alaska cruise – first cruise in 4 plus years. Super excited but also stressful to be traveling nowadays.

Took our online proctored Covid tests today (all negative) before we finally feel like we are “allowed” to cruise.  In case anyone needs to cruise in near future, we booked OnPoint proctoring ($15/pp) on Zoom meeting using the free Covid kits you get from the government.

This has been a cruise with many changes as both departing and returning flights were cancelled by airlines after we booked them and we had to rebook both.

Then with the landslide at Skagway, we lost that port two weeks stop two weeks and had to do a crash course on YouTube to see what’s happening at Icy Strait Point. Very sad as we had an excursion planned and my kids have never been to Skagway.

But as the great philosophers Beatles once said, life goes on.  Guess as long as I have enough clean underwear on the cruise, I’m good…

Have a wonderful time.  I think my favorite cruises have been Alaska and we love Icy Strait Point.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Did you happen to notice if these came premixed with ginger ale?  Jack and Ginger is my go-to drink if I want to make something simple.

CB does not have those on the menu, but evidently Jack Daniel’s makes them

74F1284F-CBCD-4502-A5F7-F85789DE45F7.thumb.jpeg.0a5201aa37db2e5b79a2f0cd5df76487.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were recently notified that our Quantum of the Seas Alaska Cruise itinerary is changing.  Not a total surprise as this previously happened to Quantum cruises in August.  I was hoping that their "technical issue" that is causing speed limitations would have been fixed by September, but that won't be the case.  Rather than visiting Icy Strait Point, we'll stop at Ketchikan.  I'm OK with that change as we're now booked on the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour in Ketchikan...the "Deadliest Catch" crab boat that has been refitted into a tour boat with stadium seats so that you can watch the crab fishing process.

Unfortunately, we're also dropping the cruise up Endicott Arm to Dawe's Glacier.  Bummer but again, not unexpected.  The PIA is that arrival times in other ports are also changing.  Rather than arrive in Skagway at 7:00am for our 10:00am Sled Dog and Mushers Camp excursion, we now arrive at 11:00am.  I'm waiting to hear back from the excursion on what options we have.  Everyone else on the ship is in the same boat (😉), so lots of juggling happening right now.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Can't say I'm too fond of this.

Screenshot_20220804-164243_Weather.jpg

I feel your pain, every long summer. 102 today with 37% humidity.  I bet Houston's humidity is much higher.

1 hour ago, derorim said:

One of our Swallowtail caterpillars has transformed himself into a chrysalis.  You can see the thin silk-like thread he made to attach himself to the parsley stem.

image.thumb.jpeg.dc3aef677877a2e7e050e569278dd01a.jpeg

This is the same one from a different angle.

image.thumb.jpeg.7d71ad6a22e8f601e93b544da497b707.jpeg

Nature is amazing, isn't it?

• Like 7

8 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Have a wonderful cruise! Post some pictures here for us.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We were recently notified that our Quantum of the Seas Alaska Cruise itinerary is changing.  Not a total surprise as this previously happened to Quantum cruises in August.  I was hoping that their "technical issue" that is causing speed limitations would have been fixed by September, but that won't be the case.  Rather than visiting Icy Strait Point, we'll stop at Ketchikan.  I'm OK with that change as we're now booked on the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour in Ketchikan...the "Deadliest Catch" crab boat that has been refitted into a tour boat with stadium seats so that you can watch the crab fishing process.

Unfortunately, we're also dropping the cruise up Endicott Arm to Dawe's Glacier.  Bummer but again, not unexpected.  The PIA is that arrival times in other ports are also changing.  Rather than arrive in Skagway at 7:00am for our 10:00am Sled Dog and Mushers Camp excursion, we now arrive at 11:00am.  I'm waiting to hear back from the excursion on what options we have.  Everyone else on the ship is in the same boat (😉), so lots of juggling happening right now.

I'm sorry about all the changes.  We haven't done the Crab excursion but it looks fun and gets a lot of good reviews.  We went to Bear Country which we thought was just something to do that day and did not have high hopes for.  It ended up being our best excursion ever.  A mother bear brought her cub to the stream, pulled out a huge king salmon and headed back into the woods right under our feet.  The guides get a big thumbs up because we were just about to get on the bus back to the ship after not seeing any bears when they came running up and took us back to the boardwalk by the stream to see the bears.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

😞  No glaciers on an Alaska Cruise is a bummer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Toby is home .She feels fine and has an appointment tomorrow morning with the surgeon.

That’s great news.

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

It never ends.I just got a call from a very good friend telling me that his brother died today.

Im so sorry Lenny.

8 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Packed our suitcases for flying out to Anchorage on Friday for the upcoming Alaska cruise 

Have a great cruise. Get some great mooring line pictures. The closer without getting yelled at gets you extra points.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

52°F and sunny this morning.

Breakfast this morning.

IMG_20220805_091721.jpg

GreT way to start the day off. Cheers!

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Rather than arrive in Skagway at 7:00am for our 10:00am Sled Dog and Mushers Camp excursion, we now arrive at 11:00am.  I'm waiting to hear back from the excursion on what options we have.  Everyone else on the ship is in the same boat (😉), so lots of juggling happening right now.

I sure hope you get to do the Dog Sled excursion. That sounds like a lot of fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

WooHoo!  Let the fun begin!   Hope you have an awesome cruise.  We look forward to your photos.  Will you be doing a live review?

Which ship?

Thanks.

No live review per the strict definition. I will try to upload pictures to extend the ship's wifi allows us but I read that satellite signals are better near the equator versus northern and southern ends of the globe. If my buddy Biker is reading this, he will tell you more about satellites than you care to know. 

It won't be my typical Cheapo dad trip report as I can't vacation and write the same time (same concept as too dumb to walk and chew gum). 

I will do the lengthy write up after I get back home but it will be on the "other board" over at the Princess as we will be on the one way sailing on the Majestic Princess from Whittier down to Vancouver.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

After our recent discussion of zoos and how they provide enrichment for the critters in their care, I thought I'd share this pic that showed up on my FB newsfeed today:

296331528_10228133877672562_5950736817006346954_n.jpg

How great this is for the animals to interact!  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Have a great cruise Harry!  Looking forward to hearing about it and seeing a few line and big butt photos.

Thanks, Bob.

Did you move to Florida?  I thought you were out in Ohio somewhere in the past?

The line shots could be tricky for Alaska sailings as their docks are not as accessible as the ones in Caribbean. 

The Princess ships don't have the same size buns as the Royal butts...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Have a wonderful time.  I think my favorite cruises have been Alaska and we love Icy Strait Point.

This is my third Alaska cruise.  Seems like we go every 10 years.  

ISP will be new to me as I'm used to the big 3 standard ports in Alaska but with recent rock slide in Skagway, we won't be docking there.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, harryfat1 said:

This is my third Alaska cruise.  Seems like we go every 10 years.  

ISP will be new to me as I'm used to the big 3 standard ports in Alaska but with recent rock slide in Skagway, we won't be docking there.

Skagway had a second rockslide on Wednesday, so it will be interesting if they stop using the Railroad dock completely.  They had stopped using the forward berth a couple of weeks ago after a new survey.  The August 3rd rockslide was mostly contained by the catch fence but some rock hit a guard shack.  The prior rockslide was to the right of the catch fence and allowed more rock to hit the pier.  I shiver to think we were in line for the train in May in the exact area these slides are coming down on.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harryfat1 said:

Thanks, Bob.

Did you move to Florida?  I thought you were out in Ohio somewhere in the past?

The line shots could be tricky for Alaska sailings as their docks are not as accessible as the ones in Caribbean. 

The Princess ships don't have the same size buns as the Royal butts...

Wow Harry...good memory.  I retired in June 2020 and we moved full time to Florida in Jan 2021.  We love it!

• Like 3

On 8/3/2022 at 8:25 PM, Momof3gurlz said:

I bought an air fryer a few weeks ago. Last week I tried making sweet potato fries and they were just okay.  I’m pretty sure it was user error, me putting too many in the basket at one time.  Tonight I made this whole chicken which was marinated in buttermilk for 24 hours prior to cooking, then 50 minutes in the air fryer.  It was delicious.  Can’t wait to try more recipes after this success.  

98202A20-BD81-420D-A663-448C5E091484.jpeg

8B824FA4-3F54-421A-B0C2-1BF31BB8F2A8.jpeg

We like ours so much I wish I’d gotten a larger one. Chicken wings come out crispy and juicy at the same time, but I can only fit two whole wings at a time. 
There are a ton of Air Fryer recipes online. We’ve been happy with every one we’ve tried. My husband hard boiled eggs the other day and kept telling me about them all day. 

• Like 6