Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So sorry to hear everyone is sick after your Oasis cruise.   I guess Eric and I will need to be extra careful since he is a transplant recipient.    Also sorry about MTD, keep hearing about nightmares with it so I have made sure to stick with traditional dining for 530 pm.   Which deck was MTD?

I hope everyone's symptoms remain mild and they have full recovery soon😀

Deck 3 and they have separate lines for you to stand on depending on your reservation time people standing everywhere 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NHProud said:

My husband’s doc’s office called to schedule 2nd knee surgery. His 1st knee was replaced on 5/5 .  He is calling back to schedule the surgery for Feb. after Hawaii cruise and plenty of time before Greenland cruise in Sept.. My husband has had it easier than you , Greg .  I don’t know why ? 

I think it's different with everyone. I joined a total knee replacement and recovery group on another social media site and it's amazing to hear some of the horror stories of people's recovery. Mine has been a piece of cake compared to others. I wish I was farther along and did not have some of discomfort that I'm still having but I am also exercising a lot and some of it could be that. I'm thinking about a full 2 years before I get my other knee done. I really want to feel good about the first one before I do the second.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

@A&L_Ont Andrew - the photo of the  lighthouse is from “my neck of the woods”. Orient Point  is about thirty miles east of our home. The lighthouse is BugLight. It was vandalized by fire many years ago,but a replica was built and installed in 1990.

It helps sailors navigate a sandbar between Orient Harbor and Gardiner’s Bay.There are very strong currents there also. At one time, people could stay overnight at the lighthouse. It was a romantic honeymoon destination,but the logistics of such a stay caused that accommodation to be discontinued.

@bobmaclibertyBlock Island is a lovely place to explore. To get there from Long Island’s East End,two ferries are needed. One from Orient Point to New London CT where there is a ferry to Block Island. I think access to BI may be  simpler from Rhode Island. Perhaps OB can confirm this.

Plum Island is government property. For years, apparently,laboratory work for animal diseases was conducted there. Access to the island has been ,and most likely remains so limited.Nelson De Mille’s novel depicted the East End and Plum Island fairly well,although a bit dramatized (MHO). When we read Plum Island, my hubby and I were trying to figure out the real local people DeMille characterized. For us, it made the book interesting .😉

@dani negreanuYour grandsons are very cute !

I am sure they are enjoying their stay with grandma and grandpa.

Wishing them many good days as they begin the new school year.

MJ🙋🏻

Interesting that you mentioned Block Island.I just found out earlier today that a guy I knew in HS has been living there for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@dani negreanu Goodlooking grandsons.  I bet one of the things they look forward to most with sleepovers apart from spending time with is your DH’s food.  They look like they are going to be good swimmers like you.  What’s their favourite outdoor activity?

Thanks, aussie. Yes, they like their grandpapa food, but also my chocolate fudge cake 🤪

A few months ago, I hinted to my DIL that I'd very much like the grandsons to know to swim before our vacation with them next week, and offering to foot the bill, even if the swimming lessons will be private and not within a group....

Let's just say that my DIL is very "laid-back".... and no swimming lessons were taken....

The "older" one is with a basketball group and he's doing quite well. The little one also participated at the beginning in those lessons, but he's more of a DIY "personality", and, while every one was shooting balls, he was playing football in the corner.... until the coach declared that "enough is enough" 😁

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I think it's different with everyone. I joined a total knee replacement and recovery group on another social media site and it's amazing to hear some of the horror stories of people's recovery. Mine has been a piece of cake compared to others. I wish I was farther along and did not have some of discomfort that I'm still having but I am also exercising a lot and some of it could be that. I'm thinking about a full 2 years before I get my other knee done. I really want to feel good about the first one before I do the second.

You’re absolutely right about everyone recovering at a different rate.  Sounds like horror stories on that other social media site.  That could be scary for you to know .  My BIL who had a hip replacement has good weeks and some bad weeks which he thinks has to do with the weather in MN.   Good luck to you with your knees.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NHProud said:

That could be scary for you to know .  My BIL who had a hip replacement has good weeks and some bad weeks which he thinks has to do with the weather in MN.   Good luck to you with your knees.

I got to the point were I unfollowed them because I did not want to read all the horror stories and negativity. I think in the long run I will be happy that I did it and it will allow me to have a better quality of life. I'm just not there yet.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I got to the point were I unfollowed them because I did not want to read all the horror stories and negativity. I think in the long run I will be happy that I did it and it will allow me to have a better quality of life. I'm just not there yet.

A lot of it is mental .  You’ll know when the time is right. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NHProud said:

A lot of it is mental .  You’ll know when the time is right. 

3 minutes ago, George C said:

As yogi said it is 90% percent mental the other half is physical.

That is so true.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

No more summer day camps in the 2nd half of August....

We got the grandsons for a sleep over.... After the "regulation" schnitzel with fries DH prepared for lunch, we decided to order some pizza...

image.thumb.jpeg.a2e2a2970b117ff15764ec1c7726d369.jpeg

We have to buy them regular beds, but for now, DH put a "demarcation line" in the middle of our son's old one... They brought with them a lot of toys.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0af85136c95a277ec583004088e3711.jpeg

Your Grandsons are very handsome young men!    Enjoy every moment 🥰

I love chicken schnitzel.   What type of schnitzel does your DH make?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Wonderful looking boys.  My 14 yr. old grandson's 2nd favorite dish of mine is schnitzel.  First is chicken soup.  No matter the outside temp, when we get together here in TX or in NJ, it's understood I will be making chicken soup.

My 9 yr old granddaughter, can eat choco chip pancakes daily!  AND she also loves strawberries.

Will your family be able to visit you soon?   I sure hope so🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

My Father was 70 years old when he had  double knee replacements at the same time, this was back in 2000. At that time they told him if you get only one done you will never go back for the second one.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, aussie. Yes, they like their grandpapa food, but also my chocolate fudge cake 🤪

A few months ago, I hinted to my DIL that I'd very much like the grandsons to know to swim before our vacation with them next week, and offering to foot the bill, even if the swimming lessons will be private and not within a group....

Let's just say that my DIL is very "laid-back".... and no swimming lessons were taken....

The "older" one is with a basketball group and he's doing quite well. The little one also participated at the beginning in those lessons, but he's more of a DIY "personality", and, while every one was shooting balls, he was playing football in the corner.... until the coach declared that "enough is enough" 😁

Would your DIL be okay with if you taught the boys how to swim?   I think the boys would really appreciate learning from you.

• Like 6

Just now, Jimbo said:

My Father was 70 years old when he had  double knee replacements at the same time, this was back in 2000. At that time they told him if you get only one done you will never go back for the second one.

How did he do with both knees at same time?     My neighbor's doctor wanted to replace both of her knees at the same time and she said No, we are only doing one at a time.   She had one last winter and goes in for the next knew sometime this fall.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

How did he do with both knees at same time?     My neighbor's doctor wanted to replace both of her knees at the same time and she said No, we are only doing one at a time.   She had one last winter and goes in for the next knew sometime this fall.   

I guess people do, do two at one time. He did the usually rehab weeks but after coming home from what I remember he did pretty well. This was 22 years ago.

Just learned from my older Sister she also had both done when she was 55,  She said ALOT of Doctor's now won't do two at a time.

Sounds like I'm pretty much doomed huh, to have my done...........My Sister was kind of over weight though and my Dad was a Plumber, crawling around on his knees a lot I guess.  

No problems with my knee's, I think my back may give out first.........Don't get old. I have had 3 of those shots in the back, knock on wood now though, have not had one in the last 5 years. Starting to play golf now, has loosen my back up nicely.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That seems to happen to a lot of people. I need to have the other knee done but I’m going to think long and hard about having the other one done or not.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@A&L_Ont Andrew - the photo of the  lighthouse is from “my neck of the woods”. Orient Point  is about thirty miles east of our home. The lighthouse is BugLight. It was vandalized by fire many years ago,but a replica was built and installed in 1990.

It helps sailors navigate a sandbar between Orient Harbor and Gardiner’s Bay.There are very strong currents there also. At one time, people could stay overnight at the lighthouse. It was a romantic honeymoon destination,but the logistics of such a stay caused that accommodation to be discontinued.

MJ, Thanks for sharing this information, this is interesting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I guess people do, do two at one time. He did the usually rehab weeks but after coming home from what I remember he did pretty well. This was 22 years ago.

Just learned from my older Sister she also had both done when she was 55,  She said ALOT of Doctor's now won't do two at a time.

Sounds like I'm pretty much doomed huh, to have my done...........My Sister was kind of over weight though and my Dad was a Plumber, crawling around on his knees a lot I guess.  

No problems with my knee's, I think my back may give out first.........Don't get old. I have had 3 of those shots in the back, knock on wood now though, have not had one in the last 5 years. Starting to play golf now, has loosen my back up nicely.

Plumbers, carpet installers, tile installers, etc. definitely do take a beating on their back and knees.    

No one in my family has had knee or hip replacements and I hope I am not the first!   My knees do bother me after I am on them for extended periods of time gardening, weeding, etc. etc.

That's good that you started to play golf and your back is feeling better.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Plumbers, carpet installers, tile installers, etc. definitely do take a beating on their back and knees.    

No one in my family has had knee or hip replacements and I hope I am not the first!   My knees do bother me after I am on them for extended periods of time gardening, weeding, etc. etc.

That's good that you started to play golf and your back is feeling better.

You need a hot tub !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

No more summer day camps in the 2nd half of August....

We got the grandsons for a sleep over.... After the "regulation" schnitzel with fries DH prepared for lunch, we decided to order some pizza...

image.thumb.jpeg.a2e2a2970b117ff15764ec1c7726d369.jpeg

We have to buy them regular beds, but for now, DH put a "demarcation line" in the middle of our son's old one... They brought with them a lot of toys.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0af85136c95a277ec583004088e3711.jpeg

The boys sure are growing quickly, Dani!  They are adorable!!!!

7 hours ago, derorim said:

Your grandsons are adorable.  I bet they are a lot of fun.  We  had a granddaughter sleep over this weekend.  She wanted her "usual" for breakfast...  I got a little carried away with the whipped cream hair.  Thankfully she didn't eat all of it, but she devoured the chocolate chip pancake.

image.thumb.jpeg.a92bdc53264b7dd3021c6b6726a93ba5.jpeg

Nice breakfast, grandma!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Some ten or more years ago a newsman had replaced both knees at same time and it was filmed , it was a fairly famous guy and he did well. My dad refused to get second knee done after doing the first . 

• Like 6