Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I have a hospital appointment on Monday 12th to have 2 suspicious lesions on my face removed.

Graham.

I hope all goes well on the 12th for you, Graham.  A dear friend of ours is also dealing with that this month.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Toby is also having two lesions removed but on December 5.

Good luck to Toby on Monday.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow looks like I’ve missed a lot of posts. Sorry I haven’t been around the last two days I’ve been getting ready for our second of 3 dinner parties at my home. Tonight will be somewhat of a repeat even though it is for different guests. 3 couples that live in our neighborhood where all of our sons grew up together and were best friends. Tonight’s menu will be my marinated filets and twice baked and sweet potatoes. I’m making my Greek Orzo salad again and our other couples are bringing  appetizer, vegetable dish, and one couple makes a killer chocolate mousse that we have every year. Should be fun. I’ll check in tomorrow.

Enjoy your company along with all of the goodies to be served this evening, Greg!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

its $5pp entry and it’s a series out outdoor spaces on a dock amongst shipping containers on the river edge in Brisbane.  It offers every type of casual eats you can imagine,live music and roaming Christmas characters and lots of fairy lights and illuminated signs for photos. Very popular.  Lots of families, couples and dogs.  
DD had Indian, I had Moreton Bay bugs & chips.  We grabbed a table by the water and watched the sun set.  
Lots of delicious dessert options but we had to give those a miss.  Instead we went and did a Photo Booth session with props.  That was fun.  A nice casual evening.

What a wonderful mother and daughter vacation the two of you are enjoying.  Special memories being made there!

52 minutes ago, Keksie said:

.  Today we drove over to Bellingrath gardens.  Lovely gardens and very interesting home and story of the owners.  You could smell the rose garden before you saw it.

941769700_Bellingrath2.thumb.jpeg.7413eb295e8be9eeb9c71d4ff64b8044.jpeg

Beautiful!

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Hi all, I’ve got 19 pages to catch up on that I’ll do on my flight home from Honolulu. However I thought I’d just drop a few photos from what was the most beautiful part of this trip, cruising the Na Pali coast. This is to Hawaii what the passage to the glacier is in Alaska. 

My pictures can not do justice to the beauty of this area. E37CC624-3E53-4F73-9B4F-F122B42C32E1.thumb.jpeg.c4623d562311deeedebb7a0f7cc0fa00.jpeg

4E140F95-72F6-4118-BCF5-395B11C3E5BC.thumb.jpeg.f57641cd3d4057cd4e1300a195620660.jpeg

34B46443-D01F-44DD-A58E-FA3E048FFD83.thumb.jpeg.3835c163a25da76572ffc4914875df73.jpeg

6A8FFDA2-3B49-4694-99CE-96170CED70B5.thumb.jpeg.83f36779e427adef9fbf3b58c0572496.jpeg

I’ll give a little synopsis of NCL’s Pride of America when I get settled at home. 

Stunning!  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@firefly333  Glad your Mom is being taken care of and you can go on your Allure cruise tomorrow.  Relax and enjoy.  Bon Voyage!!!!🛳️

@JimboHey Jim..is Southport NC anywhere near I-95??

We came down I-74 South and crossed over I-95 around Lumberton, NC which Southport, NC is about 90 miles Southeast of I-95.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Well for what it's worth, I'm boarding allure tomorrow. 

I think last we went to ER for moms neck wouldnt bend. 6 days later her oxygen dropped and she called me and 911. Yes it was 80 to 86. Normal around 96, anything under 90, call 911. Might be pneumonia so back admitted. Xrays had a dark area in her lungs. So the hospital and me started looking and we found a place where mom can do rehab. Very nice. I told mom to think of it as a cruise and stay as long as she wants. Their website says 6k private room. Havent talked to them about what is added on. I called one asst living and they want $800 extra to supervise medication a month. 

We will deal with whatever, it's about $200 a day, not much different than my cruises this dec. She is getting 3 rehab people, a doctor, good food, beauty shop. Nice library. Very nice place. So we found a place she transferred to last wednesday, just in time for me to get ready for allure. We will decide about coming home or not ready yet when I come back from allure. She is much more relaxed there then at home imo where she has all kinds of people taking care of her. She was getting ocd about taking her vitals and that had to stop. We been to er 4 times lately. 

So I'm getting my cruise. I didnt have to cancel. Lol and I picked up my crashed car last tuesday, days to spare. Supposed to be the 23rd but new door came in scratched and had to be fixed. Not my fault accident. Someone drove into me. At least I didnt have to cancel. 

Have a great cruise.  Hopefully able to relax knowing Mom is in good hands.

Assisted living apartments in my area cost anywhere from $5000 to $8000 a month for a single person depending on size of apt and level of care that is needed.   Insurance does not cover any of it, just medications.

The one my Mom lived in was brand new, beautiful facility.  They had a movie theater and played matinees and evening movies a couple times a week, they even had nightly happy hour for the residents able to have some wine.

Activities going on all day and night.  They gave out weekly newsletters with list of daily activities.  My Mom said it always reminded her of the Compass on Royal.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We also went into the Visitor Center and learned about all the Movies that were made in Southport,NC...I'm sure some of you have heard of these movies before.

20221203_121226.jpg

20221203_121318.jpg

20221203_121340.jpg

20221203_121236.jpg

20221203_121249.jpg

20221203_121255.jpg

20221203_121624.jpg

Weekend at Bernies...haven't seen that in years.

That's a lot of well known movies filmed there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Stopped for lunch while we were down on the waterfront at "Provisions"

It was really good, steamed Shrimp with a Crab Cake,Onion Rings and an awesome Bowl of Hot Chowder.

20221203_130430.jpg

Beautiful cat and dinner looks delicious.  I love NE chowder.  

I see Wife is wearing a jacket I guess it's not beach weather.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Well for what it's worth, I'm boarding allure tomorrow. 

I think last we went to ER for moms neck wouldnt bend. 6 days later her oxygen dropped and she called me and 911. Yes it was 80 to 86. Normal around 96, anything under 90, call 911. Might be pneumonia so back admitted. Xrays had a dark area in her lungs. So the hospital and me started looking and we found a place where mom can do rehab. Very nice. I told mom to think of it as a cruise and stay as long as she wants. Their website says 6k private room. Havent talked to them about what is added on. I called one asst living and they want $800 extra to supervise medication a month. 

We will deal with whatever, it's about $200 a day, not much different than my cruises this dec. She is getting 3 rehab people, a doctor, good food, beauty shop. Nice library. Very nice place. So we found a place she transferred to last wednesday, just in time for me to get ready for allure. We will decide about coming home or not ready yet when I come back from allure. She is much more relaxed there then at home imo where she has all kinds of people taking care of her. She was getting ocd about taking her vitals and that had to stop. We been to er 4 times lately. 

So I'm getting my cruise. I didnt have to cancel. Lol and I picked up my crashed car last tuesday, days to spare. Supposed to be the 23rd but new door came in scratched and had to be fixed. Not my fault accident. Someone drove into me. At least I didnt have to cancel. 

It sounds like you have your mother someplace safe and this will allow you to take your cruise and relax.  It will be good for her to have a "test run" at someplace and see how her anxiety level decreases with more interaction with people each day.  This will also give you a chance to look at all the options that exist and whether she needs memory care vs assisted living.  We had my aunt in assisted living and then moved to memory care in the same facility.  Memory care is more expensive as there is more staff.  We have been looking at independent living places for my Mom and what is included in the price differs greatly from facility to facility.  That $800 medicine number you quoted is the highest I have seen though.  I know it was included in the monthly fee for my aunt in both units she was in and I have seen around $200-300 additional for independent living.  Laundry and bathing assistance are also things you should make sure are covered or find the cost.  Buy in vs tenant at will is a huge thing too.  My aunt was a tenant at will who only needed to give a months notice, no buy in, only an application fee.  Where my Mom will likely go has a $50K buy in but is refunded when they are no longer at the facility.  My siblings have inlaws in assisted living that had buy ins of $300K and $1 million 😱  per couple.  Granted, one is in a fancy, brand new facility in a very upper class suburb of Boston, but still!

Enjoy your cruise knowing your Mom is safe and figure out the rest of it when you get home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

@firefly333  Glad your Mom is being taken care of and you can go on your Allure cruise tomorrow.  Relax and enjoy.  Bon Voyage!!!!🛳️

@JimboHey Jim..is Southport NC anywhere near I-95??

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We came down I-74 South and crossed over I-95 around Lumberton, NC which Southport, NC is about 90 miles Southeast of I-95.

To add here is map view.  Southport is south of Wilmington, NC.  We are about an hour away just south of the NC/SC border.  We enjoy going up for the day, real cute little town with great water views.

311368241_Screenshot_20221203_203804_Maps2.thumb.jpg.414a75ea572e83d5f50a725d2b5bbcf0.jpg

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

It sounds like you have your mother someplace safe and this will allow you to take your cruise and relax.  It will be good for her to have a "test run" at someplace and see how her anxiety level decreases with more interaction with people each day.  This will also give you a chance to look at all the options that exist and whether she needs memory care vs assisted living.  We had my aunt in assisted living and then moved to memory care in the same facility.  Memory care is more expensive as there is more staff.  We have been looking at independent living places for my Mom and what is included in the price differs greatly from facility to facility.  That $800 medicine number you quoted is the highest I have seen though.  I know it was included in the monthly fee for my aunt in both units she was in and I have seen around $200-300 additional for independent living.  Laundry and bathing assistance are also things you should make sure are covered or find the cost.  Buy in vs tenant at will is a huge thing too.  My aunt was a tenant at will who only needed to give a months notice, no buy in, only an application fee.  Where my Mom will likely go has a $50K buy in but is refunded when they are no longer at the facility.  My siblings have inlaws in assisted living that had buy ins of $300K and $1 million 😱  per couple.  Granted, one is in a fancy, brand new facility in a very upper class suburb of Boston, but still!

Enjoy your cruise knowing your Mom is safe and figure out the rest of it when you get home.

I dont think she needs memory care, but this is more like a intervention. She was going downhill step by step and I think this place can break the cycle. 

It's a rehab place not assisted living. I looked at the place in dallas which also has asst living, not sure this place does or doesnt. It has independent living. She is getting multiple breathing treatments every day which if she had pneumonia on top of copd their machine is better than those breathers you use at home. She gets mostly 15 minutes at a time to open her lungs. When they came and got her she was gulping like a fish for oxygen. The 911 paramedics measured her oxygen at 86. Pouring rain so hard at the time. The hospital thought she had pneumonia starting from the x rays. 

She was walking then on a walker after the first rehab place and now in a wheel chair. The rehab staff says they feel sure they can get her back on her feet by the time I get back. I am still encouraging her to stay as long as she wants. She loved the beauty shop and having her hair done. She has 3 rehab people working with her. There is also a doctor looking in on her.

I looked at some asst living but a doctor isnt mention, a nurse for 12 to 16 hours a day. Prices start lower and add on stuff. This place she is now the beauty shop is included. This is a little more expensive I believe than asst living but they told her she can pay by the day or month and stay longer. Imo she needs her vitals where they are stabilized and these breathing treatments to live longer. Her memory is fine. We dont need a memory care place. She needs to get stronger so she can walk around and her pulse doesnt race and her bp rise to dangeeous levels.

I would call this a rehab place, not asst living. The meals are good too. She hadnt been allowed out of her room when I left. She was on antibiotics still for colitis and being treated for pneumonia. But the last antibiotics were yesterday .. maybe. But she went from walking now to a wheelchair. I think she should pretend she is on a cruise and relax and let them do for her and stay longer. 

We could save some money doing asst living but I think she needs rehab and personal care to push herself. I felt like if the downward spiral didnt stop she would die.

https://thereserveatrichardson.com/our-community/#disp-services

• Like 5

Lol bad luck is following me. Another wall socket shorted out 2 days ago. I'll call when I get home.

I got to the hotel and my key didnt work and the lady worked here 2 days and no clue. Another guy came on at 4 pm ..who hates computers. Finally about 530 he got a key that worked for another room. So I moved. This hotel has free cruise parking. I got a maid to let me in.

So now I'm in and rcl sends me a email about possible fog in the morning delaying my boarding. Hahahah. Cant make this up. First fog letter I ever got.

• Like 6

I think the issue of mentioning people’s names when they haven’t posted in a while is a perfectly legitimate thing to do.  That’s not stalking!  If they still subscribe to CC they’ll get a notification that someone referenced their screen name.  If they no longer want to post that’s fine.  But if they might be having a rough time, which I expect some people are, how nice it would be to find out we were thinking about them!  I know it would certainly mean the world to me to know I had sympathy and prayers from the virtual strangers/family I haven’t met yet.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Beautiful cat and dinner looks delicious.  I love NE chowder.  

I see Wife is wearing a jacket I guess it's not beach weather.

My Wife is always wearing a hoodie, I had shorts on and a t-shirt............It was a little windy though and the sun was peaking in and out most of the day. The evening it started to cloud up.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think she needs memory care, but this is more like a intervention. She was going downhill step by step and I think this place can break the cycle. 

It's a rehab place not assisted living. I looked at the place in dallas which also has asst living, not sure this place does or doesnt. It has independent living. She is getting multiple breathing treatments every day which if she had pneumonia on top of copd their machine is better than those breathers you use at home. She gets mostly 15 minutes at a time to open her lungs. When they came and got her she was gulping like a fish for oxygen. The 911 paramedics measured her oxygen at 86. Pouring rain so hard at the time. The hospital thought she had pneumonia starting from the x rays. 

She was walking then on a walker after the first rehab place and now in a wheel chair. The rehab staff says they feel sure they can get her back on her feet by the time I get back. I am still encouraging her to stay as long as she wants. She loved the beauty shop and having her hair done. She has 3 rehab people working with her. There is also a doctor looking in on her.

I looked at some asst living but a doctor isnt mention, a nurse for 12 to 16 hours a day. Prices start lower and add on stuff. This place she is now the beauty shop is included. This is a little more expensive I believe than asst living but they told her she can pay by the day or month and stay longer. Imo she needs her vitals where they are stabilized and these breathing treatments to live longer. Her memory is fine. We dont need a memory care place. She needs to get stronger so she can walk around and her pulse doesnt race and her bp rise to dangeeous levels.

I would call this a rehab place, not asst living. The meals are good too. She hadnt been allowed out of her room when I left. She was on antibiotics still for colitis and being treated for pneumonia. But the last antibiotics were yesterday .. maybe. But she went from walking now to a wheelchair. I think she should pretend she is on a cruise and relax and let them do for her and stay longer. 

We could save some money doing asst living but I think she needs rehab and personal care to push herself. I felt like if the downward spiral didnt stop she would die.

https://thereserveatrichardson.com/our-community/#disp-services

Rehab is definitely the place for her right now.  Get her back on her feet, if possible and go from there.  With all that skilled nursing, assisted living would not take her without paying for a private nurse.  We have looked at places that included independent living, assisted living and memory care so it is an easier transition from one unit to another instead of having to go to a whole new facility.  A beauty shop was one of my aunt's favorite thing.  She had her hair done every week and they did mini manicures too.  We also put my aunt with a doctor who came to the facility for appointments, including physicals.  Made it so much easier, especially in our winters.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So now I'm in and rcl sends me a email about possible fog in the morning delaying my boarding. Hahahah. Cant make this up. First fog letter I ever got.

OK, this really surprises me. We sailed Adventure out of Galveston in dense fog last week and departed right on time. At the Captain’s Q&A, someone asked about it, and the Captain said that they changed the rules in the last couple of years and no longer have to delay due to fog.

• Like 3