Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

20 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Aaaaaargh!!  I guess there's no way to avoid it for Jim and I.  🤨Heading that way on Thursday...

I-95 had heavy traffic in both SC and GA, but at least there are 3 lanes in GA.  It mostly moved at or above the speed limit, with occasional slow-downs a little below 60 mph.  This was from around 8:15-11:00.  I'm guessing it got worse later in the afternoon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Any one watch the Knives Out sequel? - Knives Out Glass Onion.  Thoroughly enjoyed the original film but I thought the sequel was slow to get going, then it was watchable but then forgettable. Whereas the original I would happily watch again.

I preferred the original as well.  It seemed more realistic and the characters were more hateable (other than Benoit and Marta), where the Glass Onion characters just seemed...sad and forgettable?? I quickly guessed "who dunnit" in Glass Onion, although it took a while for the motive to be revealed.  

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I liked the new one .I am a fan of the actress who played Whiskey.

Whiskey was one of the best parts of the sequel. 😉

• Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 11:51 AM, HBE4 said:

Posting of both Dani and Bella threads.

I had posted last week about how this year, my step daughter and I had decided this would be the year of “Christmas Different”, meaning that instead of trying to recreate that special Christmas feeling that my wife could somehow magically and effortless create, we would try to come up with new traditions while holding on to just a few of the precious old ones.   Also, I had posted on the Bella thread about losing power last week and somehow the two became intertwined in an unexpected and touching way. Bear with me as I try my best to explain.

First off, some background. Growing up, Christmas Eve was the main holiday. Even as little kids, my parents would wake us up in the middle of the night usually around midnight give or take an hour to let us know that Santa has JUST visited and if we hurry we might catch a glimpse of him before he leaves. Of course, we never did but the tray of cookies left by the fireplace would be gone, nothing left but crumbs. And presents under the tree that were not there when we went to bed.  We’d spend the rest of the night tearing open presents, snacking on sandwiches and appetizers before finally crashing to sleep shortly before sun rise. As a child, staying up all night as a big deal as it made us feel very adult! And as an adult, this worked out beautifully. My side of the family celebrated Christmas Eve - first at my parents and when they passed away, we hosted – and Christmas Day was always at my in-laws.

We were basically going to follow the same schedule until we lost power for roughly 40 hours on Dec 23 and 24th. Outside temps plunged to 2 degrees while temps inside the house fell to the mid-40’s. We spent the night at a friend’s house. With an estimated time to restore power at 11:00 pm in Christmas Eve and not wanting to overstay our welcome, we decided to spend the day doing some last minute shopping at Kohl’s (open until 6:00 pm), followed by dinner at the Applebee’s in the Kohl’s parking lot (open until 8:00 pm) and finish up the night at a local bar (open until 10:00 pm).  And if the power was not back on by 11, then back to a friend’s house.

Now, I don’t know if this is a guy thing or a me thing, but I’m pretty much a solo shopper. I prefer to go on my own. I can’t remember the last time I shopped with someone else, much less my step daughter. To both of our surprise, it was more enjoyable than expected. So things were really becoming "Christmas Different". Was a new tradition born?  Maybe.  We’ll wait and see.

But it was while dining at Applebee’s that things got interesting. The place was pretty quiet and we sat at the bar, engaging the bartender in small talk. There was a guy at the other end of the bar, by himself and looking kinda down-on-his-luck, kept glancing our way. He approached us, said we looked like nice people and offered us $20 to drive him to his house 5 minutes away.  I declined as I didn’t want to be robbed and left for dead on the side of the road on a frigid Christmas Eve. He was persistent and I tried to be dismissive hoping he would get the hint and go away. Finally, I told him I would order him an Uber or Taxi, whichever could get here first. He was thankful, bought us a round of drinks and while waiting we started to talk. Turns out, he was recently separated from his childhood sweetheart and this was the first Christmas he would not be spending without wife and his kids.  This of course tugged at my heartstrings for obvious reasons and I immediately regretted being so dismissive earlier. He showed us pictures of his kids and we had the loveliest of conversations. By the time the taxi showed up, he was smiling, looking more upbeat and while not wanting to leave, when he did, he said he felt like we were brought together for a reason.

But there’s more. I had gotten a text message from NYSEG (the electric company) that power was restored a few hours early. Knowing that it would take a few hours for the house to warm up, we decided to linger a little while longer when two very exhausted guys, wearing power company vests walked in & sat at the bar.  Little Miss HBE4 and I look at each other and in unison said those are the guys that restored our power. Well, maybe not the exact guys but least they are part of the team. Beginning to feel the Christmas spirit, we offer to buy them a round of drinks and engage them in some amazing conversation for the next hour.  Turns out, one is from Iowa and the other from Missouri and they were brought it to help out the local power crews.  They are spending the holidays thousands of miles away from family, working around the clock in frigid temperature, all so we can be warm and cozy for Christmas.  And while they assured us they are being well-compensated, they genuinely did appreciate the 2 rounds of drinks we bought from them but declined the offer from us to buy them dinner (they get reimbursed for food). While police, firemen, nurses and military all get the accolades they richly deserve, I asked those guys if they ever feel thankless. Their response was diplomatic but the message was they get more complaints than compliments. After thanking them a few more times, we left to figure out how to rearrange our plans, throw away spoiled food and scramble with last minute gift wrapping and other pre-Christmas chores.

I know this might sound like I’m patting myself on the back but that’s not my intent. I think going forward, for me “Christmas Different” will be trying to find a way to either help those in need or finding a way to thank those to give back that those that are helping us. I just need to find a better venue to channel that energy  than an Applebee’s bar. 😉

I’m late to the party but I loved this post. Sounds like this will be a Christmas to remember. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

This looks to be an interesting thread over on the Celebrity Board. Honoring a booked Price on  a recently open itinerary. Will they or won't they honor the low price?

Oh no. Celebrity seems to have made a lot of such boo boos recently.

Done with my trip back to WA and BC.  Flight out on the 25th, as I chronicled it, was a nightmare and  ended up even worse than I described. I didn’t get into Seattle until 230am. By the time I got my car rental an drove to Bellingham it was 5am. 

Whirlwind visits for on the 26th then across the border for two visits with family and an old friend and now I’m heading back. 

Sitting in Seattle waiting for my flight. Every flight from Oakland to Seattle on Southworst airlines has been cancelled but mine. They tell me it’s going for sure. I’ll believe it when we go wheels up. I have a one way car rental booked asa backup plan. I’ll cancel once I’m on the plane.  

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Done with my trip back to WA and BC.  Flight out on the 25th, as I chronicled it, was a nightmare and  ended up even worse than I described. I didn’t get into Seattle until 230am. By the time I got my car rental an drove to Bellingham it was 5am. 

Whirlwind visits for on the 26th then across the border for two visits with family and an old friend and now I’m heading back. 

Sitting in Seattle waiting for my flight. Every flight from Oakland to Seattle on Southworst airlines has been cancelled but mine. They tell me it’s going for sure. I’ll believe it when we go wheels up. I have a one way car rental booked asa backup plan. I’ll cancel once I’m on the plane.  

Good Luck, Bet you will remember this trip for a long time. Are you on the 3:30pm flight? have you started to board yet?

Edited by Jimbo

All these flight issues with Southwest are crazy.  We’ve never had an issue with them however I can’t help but think they’ve really damaged their reputation with this fiasco.  I hope they get things straightened out by then end of January. We’re flying them home (🤞) from Miami after our NCL cruise. 
On a completely unrelated topic, I just signed up for an online IPhone Photography course.  If any of you have ever followed JimIain’s reviews over on the Celebrity boards, he’s referred to this course in response to questions about his iPhone photos.  A special popped up yesterday in my FB feed so I joined it and have so far, after only a couple of videos into the first module, learned quite a bit.  I hope you all will humor me over the next few weeks when I start posting my new artsy pics 😂

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

All these flight issues with Southwest are crazy.  We’ve never had an issue with them however I can’t help but think they’ve really damaged their reputation with this fiasco.  I hope they get things straightened out by then end of January. We’re flying them home (🤞) from Miami after our NCL cruise. 

I'm flying SW home after my cruise too. To their credit, last January they got me on a flight the next day after JetBlue cancelled my flight home. I had to fly from Miami instead of Ft. Lauderdale though.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm flying SW home after my cruise too. To their credit, last January they got me on a flight the next day after JetBlue cancelled my flight home. I had to fly from Miami instead of Ft. Lauderdale though.

We’re flying out of and into Boston, they had better flights & prices.  Since we’re traveling with friends we can split the cost of parking there.  We’re also leaving 2 days before the cruise; worst case scenario, if weather impacts flights we’ll just drive. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Soon I hope.  We were checking out the 11 day Anthem cruises but prices are way high.  Waited too long🥴

Yeah not like the previous times when  it used to be the other way round and prices dropped a few days before sailing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I’m late to the party but I loved this post. Sounds like this will be a Christmas to remember. 

As someone who it perpetually late to everything in life, I appreciate you stopping by, Haven't played "Closing Time" yet so it never to late to join. 

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

** sung to the tune of deck the halls **

Tis the season to be stressed out,

Fa-a-la-a-la-la-la-la

I'm exhausted, there is no doubt

Fa-a-la-a-la-la-la-la

No relaxing, gonna scream and shout

Fa-a-la-a-la-la-la-la

Full disclosure: I may be on my third Egg Nog & Kraken and "accidentally" reversed the portions on the last one. And it's only 8:00 pm NY time. Don't judge me. 😉😇🥃

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

As someone who it perpetually late to everything in life, I appreciate you stopping by, Haven't played "Closing Time" yet so it never to late to join. 

** sung to the tune of deck the halls **

Tis the season to be stressed out,

Fa-a-la-a-la-la-la-la

I'm exhausted, there is no doubt

Fa-a-la-a-la-la-la-la

No relaxing, gonna scream and shout

Fa-a-la-a-la-la-la-la

Full disclosure: I may be on my third Egg Nog & Kraken and "accidentally" reverse the portion on the last one. And it's only 8:00 pm NY time. Don't judge me. 😉😇🥃

Never any judgement on this thread, especially when it comes to Kracken 😉!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We’re back in Georgia…getting the last load of stuff in my car and DH’s truck.  The movers don’t move liquids 🤷‍♀️ so we’re boxing up oils, vinegars, bleach etc…and all the booze we left behind for use on our packing runs.  Meet with the estate sale people tomorrow.  I’m willing to bet my wardrobe is going to be the largest they’ve ever handled.  We turned two full size attic rooms into my closet.  So since I had the space, and used to love to shop and used to have lots of parties to go to…I have a ton of clothes and shoes.  Only moved a tiny fraction to Florida.

I gave the girls a catnip treat yesterday.

• Like 14
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I used to frequent 2 aol chat rooms that had annual gatherings in Vegas and Atlantic City.  I must have met approx. 80 people in person from those rooms.  Great fun!  More people to meet in March on the Bella cruise.

If anyone watched SNL back in the day, I think the 90's, Mike Myers played a character, Linda Richman, who was based on his mother in law.  Her name was really Linda Richman and was a reg in one of the chatrooms.  I met her in person when she gave a talk about her book "I'd Rather Laugh".  On occasion, we used to phone call each other and diss some of the chatters. 🤣 I told her Mike sounded more like her than she did. When my daughter married, Linda sent her a beautiful wall hanging made in Israel. What a funny lady.

I posted on a Brooklyn Nostalgia message board from 1999 when it opened.It is still active today.The longest running nostalgia board on line.

We had get togethers in Brooklyn restaurants.As I posted previously a NYC magazine decided to do a story about the board and asked the owner to recommend 2 people to discuss why they joined the board.I was one of the two chosen.A few years later I began posting on cruise message boards.At one time there were 19 and I posted on all of them.These were people from all over the world and we had in person get togethers.

• Like 4