Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

15 minutes ago, NHProud said:

There’s someone on here that has belittled, criticized and insulted my ethnic background twice . I’ve not said anything because I think it comes from ignorance. 

That seems odd?  We are pretty diverse in California. I always mention that on cruises when people go off. 

Edited by Coralc

26 minutes ago, NHProud said:

Maybe she meant she’s sorry about 9/11 .  There’s someone on here that has belittled, criticized and insulted my ethnic background twice . I’ve not said anything because I think it comes from ignorance. 

I doubt she meant 911.  

Insults are very rare in here. I've seen your posts for quite a while and I have no idea what your ethnic background is, nor do I care. This is a place where we share life's adventures.  Why would anyone comment on a person's ethnic background?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

@aussielozzie18 I had a curious question the other evening. I know you are a bird lover. You have posted photos of the Cockatoos and the Lorikeets, which we saw while we there. 

I know cockatiels are originally from Australia. Are they in the wild there? They are in the pet trade here. Polly came to us as a young bird when he climbed into the tackle box, while we were fishing at a local lake. No one claimed him, and we had him for 19 years. 

I just wondered if there are flocks of cockatiels? 

Polly.jpg

Hi Coral.  Absolutely there are big flocks of cockatiels -  but you need to travel a fair distance to see them - outback NSW such as Broken Hill, Central West Queensland such as Winton. the Northern Territory and inland properties in Western Australian.  Every year there is amazing footage posted of hundreds and hundreds Cockatiels flocking to the water’s edge in these places to drink.

You can also see them in pairs in in areas of Queensland.

How wonderful that Polly found you and had such a long life with you.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Hi Coral.  Absolutely there are big flocks of cockatiels -  but you need to travel a fair distance to see them - outback NSW such as Broken Hill, Central West Queensland such as Winton. the Northern Territory and inland properties in Western Australian.  Every year there is amazing footage posted of hundreds and hundreds Cockatiels flocking to the water’s edge in these places to drink.

You can also see them in pairs in in areas of Queensland.

How wonderful that Polly found you and had such a long life with you.

Thank you. I would love to see that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I doubt she meant 911.  

Insults are very rare in here. I've seen your posts for quite a while and I have no idea what your ethnic background is, nor do I care. This is a place where we share life's adventures.  Why would anyone comment on a person's ethnic background?

I really do not want to drag this out . I’m French-Canadian American. My family is from Trois Rivières.  Reason why ? Didn’t know my family comes from French Canada. You would have to ask that person why slam French Canadians ? 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

How is the bean pronounced?

Lima. Actually , i am only guessing about the city in Ohio, I would also pronounce it like the city in Peru, never knew it to be pronounced like the bean.

Edited by mo&fran

10 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

City in Peru is pronounced as if it is spelled Lema.

8 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

How is the bean pronounced?

with a long I. 

Although it is spelled the same, it is all in the pronunciation.  

I had that problem, when trying to show off my Chinese to my Son’s in-laws.  Evidently, I told his mother in law she was a good horse, instead of a good mom.  I found out there are four different meanings of ma, depending on the inflection of the “a”.   Every one had a good laugh at that. 🤣🤣

Edited by h20skibum
  • Haha 15

For all of our whiskey drinkers in Pennsylvania, just saw this, this morning.  

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB), through its Limited-Release Lottery, will award lottery winners the opportunity to purchase 4,429 bottles of rare whiskeys.

Pennsylvania residents and licensees will have until 5 p.m. Friday to opt in to the lottery by visiting the Limited-Release Lottery web page at FWGS.com.

This event will feature six products in five lotteries. If a participant wins the right to purchase a bottle in a drawing, they will be removed from subsequent drawings in that lottery. Purchase is limited to one bottle per participant per lottery. Only one entry per household per lottery is allowed; duplicative entries will be disqualified. 

Lotteries will be held, in the following order, to award the opportunity to purchase individual bottles:

Lottery 1

Blanton’s Gold Straight Bourbon, $119.99 each.

Blanton’s Straight From the Barrel Bourbon, $149.99 each.

Lottery 2

Eagle Rare Straight Bourbon 17-Year-Old 2022 Release, $109.99 each.

Lottery 3

Heaven Hill Heritage Collection Straight Corn Whiskey 20-Year-Old 2023 Edition, $289.99 each.

Lottery 4

Russell’s Reserve Straight Bourbon 13-Year-Old Barrel Proof, $149.99 each.

Lottery 5

Stagg Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof, $54.99 each.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

For all of our whiskey drinkers in Pennsylvania, just saw this, this morning.  

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB), through its Limited-Release Lottery, will award lottery winners the opportunity to purchase 4,429 bottles of rare whiskeys.

Pennsylvania residents and licensees will have until 5 p.m. Friday to opt in to the lottery by visiting the Limited-Release Lottery web page at FWGS.com.

This event will feature six products in five lotteries. If a participant wins the right to purchase a bottle in a drawing, they will be removed from subsequent drawings in that lottery. Purchase is limited to one bottle per participant per lottery. Only one entry per household per lottery is allowed; duplicative entries will be disqualified. 

Lotteries will be held, in the following order, to award the opportunity to purchase individual bottles:

Lottery 1

Blanton’s Gold Straight Bourbon, $119.99 each.

Blanton’s Straight From the Barrel Bourbon, $149.99 each.

Lottery 2

Eagle Rare Straight Bourbon 17-Year-Old 2022 Release, $109.99 each.

Lottery 3

Heaven Hill Heritage Collection Straight Corn Whiskey 20-Year-Old 2023 Edition, $289.99 each.

Lottery 4

Russell’s Reserve Straight Bourbon 13-Year-Old Barrel Proof, $149.99 each.

Lottery 5

Stagg Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof, $54.99 each.

Ok, I am confused. Why do you have to do anything special in order to buy a bottle of whiskey?

9 hours ago, NHProud said:

You should . We rented a car in Halifax and drove around Cape Breton and then hired a driver for the Cabot Trail . We ended up in Sydney , returned the car at the airport , and flew home from there. It is a beautiful drive. 

Years ago I took the CAT ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth and spent a week in Nova Scotia with my Mom. We saw a lot but didn’t do the Cabot Trail. The high speed ferry was a great way to get there. My DH and I have taken the Ne/Canada cruise from Boston a bunch of times but always to Halifax. This was the first time we have been to Sydney. We are getting ready to dock in Halifax right now. Another ship just came in ahead of us. 

IMG_5886.thumb.jpeg.6396aa34c5aa6a61495d85411bb5cd0b.jpeg

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ok, I am confused. Why do you have to do anything special in order to buy a bottle of whiskey?

I guess those are rare, and hard to find in Pennsylvania, so people have to sign up for a lottery for a chance to buy them.

Hard liquor is all sold by State Stores in Pennsylvania.   You can’t buy them anywhere else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

@aussielozzie18 I had a curious question the other evening. I know you are a bird lover. You have posted photos of the Cockatoos and the Lorikeets, which we saw while we there. 

I know cockatiels are originally from Australia. Are they in the wild there? They are in the pet trade here. Polly came to us as a young bird when he climbed into the tackle box, while we were fishing at a local lake. No one claimed him, and we had him for 19 years. 

I just wondered if there are flocks of cockatiels? 

Polly.jpg

This one is a cutie!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NHProud said:

Maybe she meant she’s sorry about 9/11 .  There’s someone on here that has belittled, criticized and insulted my ethnic background twice . I’ve not said anything because I think it comes from ignorance. 

I'm sorry to hear you were subjected to that insulting behaviour on here my friend.

It is 50°F and raining here.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I need some planning help from the CC family, please:

We are planning on driving to Columbus/Polaris Ohio, next September for a family wedding.

Need suggestions please:

- Best routes to drive from Orlando FL to Columbus /Polaris OH and return. Not too fond of mountains 😨 and although the Blue Ridge is absolutely beautiful, I am absolutely scared of that winding drive. I am absolutely terrified of flying now, so not flying.
- Any hotel suggestions in Columbus/Polaris area plus other suggestions?

- Any suggestions for along the routes: stops, hotels, etc etc.
- How many stops suggested along the way. We want to do one stop over night and do the trip in 2 days since it cannot be done in one day.

Thanks in advance, for all the help I can get.

OK to send me email with trip suggestions.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Years ago I took the CAT ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth and spent a week in Nova Scotia with my Mom. We saw a lot but didn’t do the Cabot Trail. The high speed ferry was a great way to get there. My DH and I have taken the Ne/Canada cruise from Boston a bunch of times but always to Halifax. This was the first time we have been to Sydney. We are getting ready to dock in Halifax right now. Another ship just came in ahead of us. 

IMG_5886.thumb.jpeg.6396aa34c5aa6a61495d85411bb5cd0b.jpeg

That is a WOW balcony!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

23 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I guess those are rare, and hard to find in Pennsylvania, so people have to sign up for a lottery for a chance to buy them.

Hard liquor is all sold by State Stores in Pennsylvania.   You can’t buy them anywhere else.

Correct.  These bourbons, and several others, are on allocation, meaning that the demand is significantly higher than the supply.  They are very difficult to find in a store.  Depending on the store, they are sometimes limited to just the store's best customers or are sometimes first come/first served with people sleeping overnight in the parking lot.  You almost never are able to walk into a store and find it on a shelf.

PA (and a few other states) has the added twist of all liquor stores being managed by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board.  This is a leftover from the end of prohibition.  PA also has 2 different "levels" of liquor stores with some spirits only being available in "Premium Collection" stores.

The good news for this lottery is that prices look reasonable.  These bourbons are often sold on a secondary market for a significant premium over MSRP.  Do a search for Blanton's Gold and you'll see that it typically sells for $200+ a bottle rather than the lottery price of $120.

• Like 2