Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

My husband is a member of the Numismatic Society. I don't have an interest but have learned a little through tagging along to shows. Anything that you do to the coin, like cleaning , takes the value down. My husband was excited when my mom mentioned that she had a $20 gold piece and then his heart sank when he saw that she had it made into a necklace.

When I was very young I traded an 1878 Silver Dollar to a friend for his Transistor radio.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I read that before. He even at the request of Buddy Rich's daughter played on an album called "Burning For Buddy." Here is a clip of Neil playing with the Buddy Rich Big Band on a tune called "Cottontale."

Wow.  That is so cool.  I love big band music.  So strange seeing Neil in that setting, but he looks comfortable, wearing a formal head cap and matching vest. 😁

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

51420928-04C6-42F4-9D1D-EC25407F02CE.thumb.jpeg.671173ff728ce1d22c912b6ef0690d80.jpegToday’s poolside drink was a favorite of many here, and it was a darn good one.  

Also can’t forget Happy Anniversary wishes to John & Sharon @Ozark_Kids d to Graham & Pauline @grapau27

Painkiller?  I'm guessing from the color and the nutmeg on top.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I pride myself in doing something at least once before calling in an expert.  The only exception that I can think of is brake work.  Never trusted myself to work on brakes.  I've learned that some things take a combination of skill/experience, physical dexterity (e.g., working under a sink or in a crawl space) and having the right tool(s).  I don't do things myself now unless all 3 of those are covered.  I'm also a perfectionist and have high expectations about quality of work.  I often can't meet my own expectations.  I'm therefore more often than not just calling a guy.

I like your philosophy regarding having the 3 items covered. I have a similar take, put when it comes to water and electricity I typically leave it to the pros unless it is a simple fix. 

I can only imagine the back pain that many of the trades people will suffer in older age. I can attest to that after trying to work around a toilet for -art of a day. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Wow.  That is so cool.  I love big band music.  So strange seeing Neil in that setting, but he looks comfortable, wearing a formal head cap and matching vest. 😁

I do too. Jazz is my favorite to play as a drummer and especially Big Band. I was lucky to play with several big bands over my career as a pro. Remind me near Christmas and I’ll post a video of me playing “Greensleeves.” In the recording studio.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I pride myself in doing something at least once before calling in an expert.  The only exception that I can think of is brake work.  Never trusted myself to work on brakes.  I've learned that some things take a combination of skill/experience, physical dexterity (e.g., working under a sink or in a crawl space) and having the right tool(s).  I don't do things myself now unless all 3 of those are covered.  I'm also a perfectionist and have high expectations about quality of work.  I often can't meet my own expectations.  I'm therefore more often than not just calling a guy.

I have been replacing brakes on all my cars since I was a teenager.   I taught Eric how to do it when we first met and I taught both our boys too!     

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I do too. Jazz is my favorite to play as a drummer and especially Big Band. I was lucky to play with several big bands over my career as a pro. Remind me near Christmas and I’ll post a video of me playing “Greensleeves.” In the recording studio.

I have a cousin who plays drums in Manhattan we try to see him on all our visits plays with several large and small bands , saw him on restaurant row in Manhattan last few times playing at swing 46th on restaurant row. 

• Like 3

DS has been in Anchorage for the past 3.5 days.  After the warmth and sun of beautiful Hawaii for a week, the weather in Alaska has been awful for sightseeing so a bit of a disappointment as plans had to be curtailed and although he has hiked every day, the views were not as they would normally be.  Today, he persevered with an e-bike hire to do Tony Knowles Park. 3 hours where it rained all the way back was worth it for these photos.911FEEC0-9003-47CD-A2F1-89B9431F0BFD.thumb.jpeg.9ea980fb472ec95598cc50a56c1d7517.jpeg

741CD273-F39F-4F7E-B83E-5CD28D71FFD6.thumb.jpeg.770fa47b30b1007d44437547b9fe41b0.jpeg

• Like 17

I thought of a hysterical idea for my residents. I'm an Activity Director for Retirement Living residents in a 55+ community. I'm going to create a YouTube video called "What Activity Directors Do While On A Cruise Vacation" and highlight all the crazy activities we do, including one you WON'T find us anywhere near! It'll be things like "We zipline" or "We hang out with other Activity Directors"!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is great ,John.In January we will hit number 56 of a very happy marriage.When we were dating we found a questionnaire with 100 questions .We answered them independently and we agreed on only 14.

Toby said “opposites attract.” I guess so.Aside from medical problems we have had a great life .

That is funny.   14 out of 100.  I am sure if we did a questionnaire we would not agree on everything.   Happily married 56 years is a blessing.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, George C said:

I have a cousin who plays drums in Manhattan we try to see him on all our visits plays with several large and small bands , saw him on restaurant row in Manhattan last few times playing at swing 46th on restaurant row. 

He must be really good. It’s not easy getting gigs in Manhattan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I thought of a hysterical idea for my residents. I'm an Activity Director for Retirement Living residents in a 55+ community. I'm going to create a YouTube video called "What Activity Directors Do While On A Cruise Vacation" and highlight all the crazy activities we do, including one you WON'T find us anywhere near! It'll be things like "We zipline" or "We hang out with other Activity Directors"!

One of my son in laws is a part time Activities Director for a nursing home .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

One of my son in laws is a part time Activities Director for a nursing home .

Really? That's how I started! I've moved on from SNFs (Skilled Nursing Facilities) to Retirement Living for a 55+ community. 

Edited by broadwaybaby123
Grammer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Really? That's how I started! I've moved on from SNFs (Skilled Nursing Facilities) to Retirement Living for a 55+ community. 

12 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

He has been working there for many years.He endeavors to arrange interesting activities .

On 8/18/2022 at 4:04 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

Sharon and I are celebrating our 43rd anniversary!    We both have been busy today so we are having a late lunch.  Some might find this hard to believe but I made home made pizza! Yes really!

Happy Anniversary, John and Sharon!  Here's to so many more years of happiness to the two of you!🎉🥂

9 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

On a totally different note, my daughter and grands are due to arrive from NJ tomorrow.  They're very disappointed since the weather forecast is for rain the entire 10 days they'll be here. At least temps are no longer in the 100s.

Here's to the Meteorologist being wrong about a rainy forecast while your daughter and grands are visiting.  I know you'll all have a wonderful time just all being together.  Lots of hugs and kisses all around!  ENJOY!!!!!🥰

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I remember streets lined with wattle trees in Canberra. It was a gorgeous sight!

Thanks for sharing these photos. 

Mimi, have a wonderful time on your cruise!!🛳️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, dbancroft said:

My grandson who is on the spectrum was given the lifesaver from the photographer but did not want to give it back. My daughter said take the picture anyways. I think it is a good shot.

oasis.png

Good for him!!!!  What a great picture, as well as a precious memory, for you all!

• Like 4