Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

59 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Have you tried it while on an airplane and without buying the airplane wifi?  Sharon's iPhone let's her text but my Samsung can not. 

I have not. 

I've only tried it when connected to the hotel or restaurants wifi. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, derorim said:

Hi Sue, can you clarify your problem?

Is it that you can log into Cruise Critic on your computer, but it requires you to log in again every time you go to there? 

Or is it that when you go to Cruise Critic on your computer, it will not let you enter your user name and password, and therefore you cannot log in?

I can access CC. The public sites 

BUT if I want to post or visit member sites  I must log in. 

if I leave and log off the computer  The next time I come back.  I can access the basic but once again cannot go to member sites. 

once I re log in. I can see them. 

ty

44 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

If you are under full retirement age (FRA), you can work and earn up to a certain limit, and if you are collecting SS, there is a reduction for any earnings above that amount.  Once you reach FRA, you can work and make any amount, and collect SS, and it will not be reduced.  

So my confusion was that I didn't think the income cap went away until age 70.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I believe you are correct.  Doing a search I think in 2022 you can make $19560.  If you exceed that they reduce your social security payment $1 for every $2 you earn.  This goes away at FRA, I think.  

JC

That is a pretty low income cap. I don't think it will ever make sense for me to work and collect until I reach the age where the cap goes away.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is a pretty low income cap. I don't think it will ever make sense for me to work and collect until I reach the age where the cap goes away.

Probably best to wait until the year after FRA, depending on when your birthday is.  They actually have another qualifier for the year you reach FRA.  This is what they say. 

If you are younger than full retirement ageand earn more than the yearly earnings limit, we may reduce your benefit amount.

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2022, that limit is $19,560.

In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2022, this limit on your earnings is $51,960. We only count your earnings up to the month before you reach your full retirement age, not your earnings for the entire year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I don't think that is a problem....it's a wonderful thing that you do and that you love!!  How lucky for your patients and the kids on the football field.  I'm sure they all love you!

We've been going to a dentist who is not only a great dentist, but also a generous philanthropist.  Sadly for us, he's already downsizing his days at work, and we know the day is coming that he will be retiring.  He has certainly earned it, but he will be sorely missed by not only us, but by his many patients.

Anotther "wordy" post.

We were with our NY dentist for almost 30 years, when he retired.  He sent out the most poignant, heartfelt letter to all of his patients.  In it, he wrote what an honor it was to be trusted to take care of our dental needs.   He mentioned sharing joys and sorrows and considers his patients to be an extended family.  He wrote it was a pleasure to watch our kids grow up so beautifully.  He wrote he retires with a heavy heart and it was one of the most difficult decisions he had to make.  His daughter and grandkids lived in CA and he and his wife wanted to relocate to be with them as long as possible.  I wish I kept that letter.  I have no idea what happened to it thru the years but I HATED the doctor that took over his practice and went to a different dentist from then on.  

Fast forward to my Primary Care Dr., here in TX who retired after I had been his patient for 10 years.  All I got was a mass produced letter from the office letting us know he retired and was no longer associated with the practice.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Fast forward to my Primary Care Dr., here in TX who retired after I had been his patient for 10 years.  All I got was a mass produced letter from the office letting us know he retired and was no longer associated with the practice.

Andrew's THIRD pediatrician just retired. All three of them have retired in the last few years. When each one quit, we switched to another in the same practice, but then those retired, too.  I think there is one left from the original partners. I guess he will have to switch to her, and hopefully she will last until he graduates from pediatrics.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

if I leave and log off the computer  The next time I come back.  I can access the basic but once again cannot go to member sites. 

ty

I have been having to log in on a daily basis the last week or so.   In the past my phone or laptop would not require me to constantly login.   Maybe CC has been doing some updates to their system that is now requiring us to log in each and every time we want to post or "like" a post.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

When you upload video to You Tube you will lose some quality. It's their compression algorithms. Did you click on the little cog wheel for video settings on the you tube video.

2050618048_ScreenShot2022-10-27at9_18_22AM.thumb.png.b0d224d2e57f2e23e1f7a472b151ee89.png

You can switch playback quality. Sometimes the defaults are low quality.. I switched it 2160p and I thought it looked really good.

I tried switching and it didn’t seem to make it much better. I also left some on auto and that was worse. When I try to switch it the highest all I see is 1080. Not sure why I don’t see the 2160 since it’s the same camera. Must have had something to do with when the video was taken. 🤷🏼‍♀️  Thanks for the help. I’m just going to upload them and move on to the next day. I was wanting to be caught up by the next cruise which is tomorrow. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So my confusion was that I didn't think the income cap went away until age 70.

Simpler answer.  If born on or after 1960 the full retirement age is 67.  For me, 1956 it was 66 year 4 months. So income cap goes away no later than the age of 67.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding SS.

I opted to retire at age 62 1/2.  By choice.

I had enough.

My DH is still in the work force, so health insurance was not a problem.

However when I was in the work force, business and pay was exceptional, and by opting to pick up extra as well as being mandated when the a crisis occurred really made the pay check great.......at that time.  (Yes, 401K, IRA.....)  Planned well.

So, last year when I went on Medicare A, they looked at my earnings to determine how much I would pay if I selected medicare B.  Well, surprise, surprise, surprise.......they would take out almost $600.00 from my Medicare A social security for me to pay for Medicare B.

Thank God, I am on my DH plan.

Eye opener. 

I inquired

And was told it was based on your income over recent years

I at that time did not get the definition of"recent Years'" and forgot to ask.

I can only hope when the DH retires I now stay below the SS deduction plan limits since  my income shall we say is nominal, but I am sure they will figure out a new  way to get  more out of me.

Like cashing out savings bonds for first time home buyers and college tuition.....boy did we get screwed on that one.

Take care

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Andrew's THIRD pediatrician just retired. All three of them have retired in the last few years. When each one quit, we switched to another in the same practice, but then those retired, too.  I think there is one left from the original partners. I guess he will have to switch to her, and hopefully she will last until he graduates from pediatrics.

Must be harder on kids.  Hope this one lasts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Simpler answer.  If born on or after 1960 the full retirement age is 67.  For me, 1956 it was 66 year 4 months. So income cap goes away no later than the age of 67.

So fortunately, I guess. Pensions are not "earned income". So, how much Bill withdraws from his 401K, might have an effect, but mine should not. 

We just had a virtual Health Fair today, and they do reimburse Part B and most of the medigap premiums, so I might wait on SS. I don't need it, but there is that uncertainty principle, so I may just take it a bit early.....☺️ 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

And was told it was based on your income over recent years

I at that time did not get the definition of"recent Years'" and forgot to ask.

Your Part B premium is based on your income from 3 years prior. So, we will take a hit on premiums after we sell this house. But it is only for one year, and we have advance notice. We may have to work with a tax advisor, to see how we can exclude capital gains, but we are still going to have high Medicare premiums for a year. (I like Kiplinger's) ☺️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Was the repairman able to fix your fridge?

I find out tomorrow night when my new one will be delivered on Saturday.🤞

Debbie, which one did you get?  I loved the one I had in my TX house before we downsized.  It had freezer on the bottom and two fridge doors on top. (I think they call them French doors). My favorite was the sub-zero that came with our house in NY.  Any fridge with a freezer on the bottom is ok with me.  The one I have now has the freezer on the bottom so it passes the test.

Hope it's delivered on time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

ty

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have been having to log in on a daily basis the last week or so.   In the past my phone or laptop would not require me to constantly login.   Maybe CC has been doing some updates to their system that is now requiring us to log in each and every time we want to post or "like" a post.   

I have also had some issues with having to log in unexpectedly, but not not every time I return to CC.  The good news, Sue, is that you can successfully log back in.  It would be interesting to see if the problem persists when you use a different browser.  It's nice that you have your DH to help you along.  Good luck!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Debbie, which one did you get?  I loved the one I had in my TX house before we downsized.  It had freezer on the bottom and two fridge doors on top. (I think they call them French doors). My favorite was the sub-zero that came with our house in NY.  Any fridge with a freezer on the bottom is ok with me.  The one I have now has the freezer on the bottom so it passes the test.

Hope it's delivered on time.

Really? Always had a top freezer, so the food is at eye level. The other house has a bottom freezer and French doors. We really haven't put much in it, but I can just imagine it being a giant pit, that I put things in... never to be seen again. LOL. 😃

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, derorim said:

I have also had some issues with having to log in unexpectedly, but not not every time I return to CC.  The good news, Sue, is that you can successfully log back in.  It would be interesting to see if the problem persists when you use a different browser.  It's nice that you have your DH to help you along.  Good luck!

I never have to login from my phone but occasionally I do from my laptop.  Fortunately,  CC saves my credentials so it's just one click to get back in. 

• Like 1