Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is not just Fla. It applies to many states I am sure.😀

Oh most definitely...but I would say Florida ranks right up there for vacation/retirement destination.  😉

See an awful lot of references to that on just this thread alone.  

• Like 1

I also grew up in NY when the drinking age was 18.  We were all able to drink earlier with fake ID.  In those days, your ID was a Sheriff's card that was made from paper and was easy to modify.  If you were lucky, you just needed to change a number in your birth date with a little extra line or maybe some whiteout.  The more complicated method involved using a hole punch to replace an entire number.  You then needed to make your ID card look a little bit worn so that your changes were not obvious.  What we would do just to be able to get some alcohol.  SMH.

I went to college in NY state and also remember students from other states, who were 18, now being able to legally drink while at school.  Most other states did not allow drinking until 21, with some exceptions for 3.2 beer.  I graduated in 1983 so NY did not change to 21 until sometime after that.

• Like 3

Just now, island lady said:

Oh most definitely...but I would say Florida ranks right up there for vacation/retirement destination.  😉

See an awful lot of references to that on just this thread alone.  

I'm one of them.  Between warmer weather and no state income taxes, what's not to love?

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

That’s my son’s house, he redid all the floors. They look really good and he says it is easier with the dogs rather than carpet.

Kids, dogs, cats...and husbands...hard wood/tile floors much easier to clean than carpet.  😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm one of them.  Between warmer weather and no state income taxes, what's not to love?

I moved down from Michigan in 1981.  Bucky came here and stayed here right from getting out of Vietnam.  Had no interest in returning to the north (Ohio).  Was used to hot, humid weather by then.  😉 

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I graduated in 1983 so NY did not change to 21 until sometime after that.

December 1982, New York raised the drinking age from 18 to 19. The reason I remember that so clearly is because I turned 18 in September of that year, could "legally" drink for 3 months, than became underage again for 9 more months.  And contrary to rumors,  there was no Grandfather Clause. 

Of course, back then many bars were very relaxed about checking ID'S so I never bothered to get a fake one. Plus,  I had a mature look so I was rarely proofed (i.e. carded).  I had been going to one local bar since I was 16. Well, I  was a month away from my 17th birthday but still. Lol. Shortly after NY raised the drinking age to 21 in 1985, the place closed down. I guess most of their patrons were 20 and under. 

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Pat,

You are a riot.... I couldn't stop laughing gauging DH and hard floors 😁

Thanks...had to "insert husband here"....as all week I have watched Bucky track sawdust across the house from the garage to the trim work he is doing in the bathroom remodel. 😉 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

December 1982, New York raised the drinking age from 18 to 19. The reason I remember that so clearly is because I turned 18 in September of that year, could "legally" drink for 3 months, than became underage again for 9 more months.  And contrary to rumors,  there was no Grandfather Clause. 

Of course, back then many bars were very relaxed about checking ID'S so I never bothered to get a fake one. Plus,  I had a mature look so I was rarely proofed (i.e. carded).  I had been going to one local bar since I was 16. Well, I  was a month away from my 17th birthday but still. Lol. Shortly after NY raised the drinking age to 21 in 1985, the place closed down. I guess most of their patrons were 20 and under. 

In Florida...as  Florida resident senior over 65 we get a nice discount at the state parks we enjoy taking the "land yacht" to.   One time, before I was of age to get the discount, I teased the state park ranger asking her where I could score a fake ID.  She laughed a long time on that one.  😄 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Thanks...had to "insert husband here"....as all week I have watched Bucky track sawdust across the house from the garage to the trim work he is doing in the bathroom remodel. 😉 

At least he didn’t bring the saw to the bathroom to save all those extra steps and tracking dust through the house.  🤣

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I remember 18!  At midnight on my actual birthday, I showed my real ID to our favorite bartender who thought I was 18 all along.  You could drink at 18 in New York, this was 1968.  Bartender was annoyed with me but I always tipped above and beyond so all was forgiven🤪

When I first read "real ID" I thought you were talking about those new driver's licenses then I realized you ment "not fake" ID.☺

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

At least he didn’t bring the saw to the bathroom to save all those extra steps and tracking dust through the house.  🤣

Oh believe me when he was sanding on the drywall...cough..gag...ugg!   Had a lot of clean up to do on that one.  Even got through the closed door of the closet.  ☹️

Tile guys made quite the dust when they removed the old tile also.  Noise..dust...messes to clean up...sigh.  Standard procedure here since we are taking our money we should be using to cruise with...and putting it into the "money pit".  😏

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I remember 18!  At midnight on my actual birthday, I showed my real ID to our favorite bartender who thought I was 18 all along.  You could drink at 18 in New York, this was 1968.  Bartender was annoyed with me but I always tipped above and beyond so all was forgiven🤪

Good one. I was also frequenting the NY bars around that same time period.  Also under 18. All the kids from Ct. would come over to NY to drink since the drinking age in Ct was 21

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Good one. I was also frequenting the NY bars around that same time period.  Also under 18. All the kids from Ct. would come over to NY to drink since the drinking age in Ct was 21

At least with Metro North railroad it is pretty safe to get home after some drinking in the city. People don't have to worry about driving home. NJ people have the same benefit of NJ Transit and Path trains.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@grapau27

Hi G.,😁

How is Sarah and how is your eye?

Sarah has a terrible headache,drowsy,aches and pains but she is used to similar symptoms after an epileptic fit and told us not to worry.

Graham's eye looks better every day and has an appointment at 11am UK time on Wednesday with the eye consultant.

He has his first vaccine jab on Wednesday at 5pm UK time.

He sends his love.

P xx

Edited by Paw13
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Paw13 said:

Sarah has a terrible headache,drowsy,aches and pains but she is used to similar symptoms after an epileptic fit and told us not to worry.

Graham's eye looks better every day and has an appointment at 11am UK time on Wednesday with the eye consultant.

He has his first vaccine jab on Wednesday at 5pm UK time.

He sends his love.

P xx

Pauline, is this you?  If so, very nice to hear from you.

Marietta

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1