Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We have friends coming for dinner Friday night. This is the same couple we visited NYC with back in December where we went to Gallagher’s Steakhouse for dinner. I’m going to try to recreate that meal (pictured below) using my cast iron skillets and oven/broiler.  I have two 24 oz Porterhouse steaks. Anyone ever done this or have any input?883C31E2-331C-4821-9E1B-0D24BAFA34FD.thumb.jpeg.5bdb6be07fef29166f64997f56f2807e.jpeg

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Since you mentionef Roanoke,what are your thoughts on I-81..... traffic,

etc.

We are about  1 hour south of Roanoke .

Been by the college there in Roanoke many times taking our cats to the Vet there.

Back in August, I drove the length of VA on I-81 on the way to TX and back. Lots of traffic both ways but was always moving.  As mentioned in the other posts, plenty of trucks so had to stay alert.

Beautiful area so by keeping one eye on the trucks and one eye admiring the scenery, it made that part of the trip go by quickly. One day, I'd like to make it a more leisurely, 5-7 day drive thru the Shedondoha Valley on the way to the Blue Ridge & Smokey mountains.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We have friends coming for dinner Friday night. This is the same couple we visited NYC with back in December where we went to Gallagher’s Steakhouse for dinner. I’m going to try to recreate that meal (pictured below) using my cast iron skillets and oven/broiler.  I have two 24 oz Porterhouse steaks. Anyone ever done this or have any input?883C31E2-331C-4821-9E1B-0D24BAFA34FD.thumb.jpeg.5bdb6be07fef29166f64997f56f2807e.jpeg

I have a suggestion... Perhaps not eat until then 😉

dp

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Totally love Gallagher’s but we rarely eat there , they have the best old fashioned bartenders and they know how to pour a excellent drink , no shot glasses are needed, this is only two short blocks from our favorite hotel. Have seen a few celebrities there including George C Scott . ( food was also very nice the few times we had dinner there ) will be there in less than two months 😁😁, it was also a speakeasy in the 1920’s .

• Like 4

Our flight has been delayed about an hour but we met an interesting gentleman from Ottawa who is headed to Florida. He’s going to see Ottawa play the Panthers tomorrow and get on a cruise the next day. 9 nights hitting the southern route. He was excited to hear about our experience in December.

When we told him to avoid the Sawgrass Mall he laughed and she his daughters aren’t with him so there was no way. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

That is one huge trackpad! My newish MacBook Air with the M2 chip has an oblong trackpad, about 3/5 of that depth.  Not sure why the Pro is so large, but when I first saw them, I decided to go with the Air partly because of the size and weight difference and how I use mine.  This may be helpful for shortcuts using that large trackpad:

https://support.apple.com/guide/macbook-pro/trackpad-apdbb563a1bc/mac

Thanks for the link.  I found it just before I read this.  I also been reading about basic Mac shortcuts like when I clicked on the link you posted I held down on the Control button and it opened in its own tab.  Slowly learning.  I am not sure why the trackpad is so big but the more I am learning about it I doubt I will need a mouse.  

I looked at the one you got and it looks nice.  I got this one because of editing Photos and Videos.  I am sure I would appreciate the weight of yours more.  I love the battery life so far.  I didn't bother to bring a charger on our trip today.  After more than 3 hours of use I still have 86% battery!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Survivor tonight..

Real life on the plane. 

21 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And Survivor begins....

For real. 

17 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

The need to get those prime overhead bins spots before they are all gone. 😇

Got it. 

image.thumb.jpg.7b29dfc84d67aaee7e11f9cf22255120.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

They haven’t called boarding yet here is everyone. 

I think delays are the new normal.  Our son and his family had a delay in their flight this afternoon, from San Francisco to Honolulu.   At least they are in the air and halfway there now. A nice spring break for them, for the next 8 days. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I've done a lot of checking on various trips and as odd as it sounds flights from Toronto are have been quite a bit cheaper lately. 

Sharon yesterday found another price drop on flights for the Hawaii trip.  building up credit for the next trip.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

There are plenty of trucks on I-95 too but the mountainous terrain in I-81 makes it a little more ummm..interesting?!

If not in a rush and have the time take the Skyline Drive from Front Royal, Va. and then get on the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to North Carolina.   It goes through the Shenandoah National Park. It's an amazing drive with beautiful scenery. Plenty of chances for amazing pictures.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

That looks great.  If I was cooking it I would sous vide it then finish it off by searing it in an iron skillet.  Once you try sous vide cooking its hard to give it up especially with meat.

• Like 1

So I just got out of a very long meeting of a government board I serve on.  One of the local property owners was there, to provide some input on a project we were reviewing.  He has a very nice property, and he actually referred to his “Field of Dreams”, which is a regulation baseball field he built for his kids.

54C018CC-BEC5-433C-AAE1-C1D619456673.thumb.jpeg.ed28610e789821defac6d8fa3304f2be.jpeg

I can’t imagine the amount of maintenance you would need to keep the field in this nice of shape.

He does have a very nice little estate.

02C61030-F3B7-4DDD-8F33-2F2BD59D67EE.thumb.jpeg.3deeff2b0093862c00e724c86195f3a3.jpeg

That field sure beats the little side yard we turn into a ball field when the grandkids come over.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Love those economy seats.

What model plane are you on? That window looks small.

Airbus 321M. You are right though, the window is small. I didn’t notice that until you mentioned it. Owen didn’t get the cockpit view today, but he isn’t surprised. He also hasn’t made friends with the grounds crew. We are about an 45 min late but will all the thunderstorms today it isn’t a surprise. There have been a ton of delays out here f Toronto. 

I couldn’t read the manufacturer tag on the way in from the darkness but I always like to see the age of the plane. 

• Like 4

So, I'm headed to the Secretary of State (DMV in Michigan) tomorrow to get my new plate.  

For the past 15ish years, I've had a vanity plate on my car -- it's my birthday present to myself every year (a whopping $15 over the cost of a regular plate).  Since becoming a nurse, I've had a "nurse-related" plate (really helps when you get pulled over by a cop!).  

Last year in Illinois, I was "SALTYRN" (stole that idea from a nursing friend who used to have that plate before she moved out of Michigan).  

I can have a total of seven characters, including spaces. I wish I could put a space between SALTY and RN, but no can do.

Anyone have any favorites among these, or other ideas?  

Salty.png.99790e54240948c4ba5e3ba3f5464b6c.png

salt.png.3996bbb4f3dd4c576f97ea46c1b6e0e4.png

CRUZ.png.6355c8b6972f131e93401f0bca5e5e1b.png

SEA.png.b7751bc55fc1c9ac13b1368a99c0ae28.png

• Like 4