Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We received news that a very good friend of ours, Mike, passed away.

He was a young 55 yrs old.     Some of you may recall in 2021 I spoke of him having a massive stroke and being in a coma for 2+ months.    After many tests performed by local hospital and Jefferson Hospital in center city Philadelphia they determined he had no brain activity and would probably never wake up again so his family put him into hospice at the local hospital.     After removing him from various meds approx. 10 days later he woke and said he was starving.   The last photos I have of him is him laughing and cracking jokes in the hospital after waking up from his coma.    At that time, he had full movement of his arms and legs and was speaking rather well.

Everyone at the hospital including his family was shocked to see him rebound.    He then began physical therapy and was doing good.

But he then had several seizures and mini strokes over the next couple of months that made it so he could never walk again and had very poor speech.     He has been living the last 2+ years at a assisting living facility and absolutely hated it.   

As time went on he became very uninterested in everything (no longer watched football or baseball which was Not like him at all).   He was severely depressed and didn't want to live like that.   It was very sad to see the once lively laughing jokester Mike like this.    

I met him 40 yrs ago in high school and after graduating we didn't see each until we were in our late 20's.   Wen we reconnected him and Eric became Best Friends.    They went fishing together all the time, watched sports together, joined a dart league at a local bar and enjoyed doing that every week for several years (both played darts very well).   

We are heartbroken that he has passed but also happy that he is no longer suffering and miserable.    We hope that he has met up with his baby boy that had passed away suddenly as a toddler 20+ yrs ago.    

May Mike RIP❤️

• Like 33

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

🙂.  We’re only in port from 8-5.  This will be our first time in Aruba.  I researched quickly this morning and more than likely we’ll spend a couple of hours at Eagle Beach, then explore the town a little bit (which will include a little shopping, naturally 😉) and probably get a drink somewhere before boarding.  It’s a long way off but depending on what you end up doing for the day, maybe we can meet somewhere for a cold beverage.  I’m curious to know if we really have met on a prior cruise!

Lucy’s is a cool place to grab a drink by the cruise port area.  

on our way for 10 nights this Sunday and back again via jewel in November.  😊 

Edited by maggieq
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

He was a young 55 yrs old.     Some of you may recall in 2021 I spoke of him having a massive stroke and being in a coma for 2+ months.    After many tests performed by local hospital and Jefferson Hospital in center city Philadelphia they determined he had no brain activity and would probably never wake up again so his family put him into hospice at the local hospital.     After removing him from various meds approx. 10 days later he woke and said he was starving.   The last photos I have of him is him laughing and cracking jokes in the hospital after waking up from his coma.    At that time, he had full movement of his arms and legs and was speaking rather well.

Everyone at the hospital including his family was shocked to see him rebound.    He then began physical therapy and was doing good.

But he then had several seizures and mini strokes over the next couple of months that made it so he could never walk again and had very poor speech.     He has been living the last 2+ years at a assisting living facility and absolutely hated it.   

As time went on he became very uninterested in everything (no longer watched football or baseball which was Not like him at all).   He was severely depressed and didn't want to live like that.   It was very sad to see the once lively laughing jokester Mike like this.    

I met him 40 yrs ago in high school and after graduating we didn't see each until we were in our late 20's.   Wen we reconnected him and Eric became Best Friends.    They went fishing together all the time, watched sports together, joined a dart league at a local bar and enjoyed doing that every week for several years (both played darts very well).   

We are heartbroken that he has passed but also happy that he is no longer suffering and miserable.    We hope that he has met up with his baby boy that had passed away suddenly as a toddler 20+ yrs ago.    

May Mike RIP❤️

So very sorry for your loss 😞 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, singinalot said:

thanks it is definitely hard 🥺 I did not sleep much last night and I feel bad saying that when I’m not even there.

Any updates on your Florida home?  How are Nate and the pup doing?

30 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Lucy’s is a cool place to grab a drink by the cruise port area.  

on our way for 10 nights this Sunday and back again via jewel in November.  😊 

I second that, Lucy's is a fun atmosphere.  Another one we love to do sunset drinks with appetizers that we make a dinner out of is the West Deck.  Little further away from Lucy's.  We usually take a taxi there.  Lucy's is an easy walk from cruise port.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Ocean Boy have you watched below deck down under yet this week?  We are thinking the guest was having a seizure at the end of the episode?  What’s your take?

That is certainly a possibility. I also thought he might have occluded his airway with something he swallowed. Next Monday will be interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

May Mike RIP❤️

I’m very sorry for your loss.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Ocean Boy have you watched below deck down under yet this week?  We are thinking the guest was having a seizure at the end of the episode?  What’s your take?

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is certainly a possibility. I also thought he might have occluded his airway with something he swallowed. Next Monday will be interesting.

The guest that experienced the medical emergency also said earlier in the episode that he wasn’t feeling well. He looked like he was sweating heavily as well. Hope it wasn’t anything too serious.

• Like 1

May Mike RIP❤️

So very sad. My condolences to you and Eric. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I second that, Lucy's is a fun atmosphere.  Another one we love to do sunset drinks with appetizers that we make a dinner out of is the West Deck.  Little further away from Lucy's.  We usually take a taxi there.  Lucy's is an easy walk from cruise port.

Totally agree about West Deck, especially for a sunset!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Debbie, Sending you hugs. Very sorry for you loss.

@Sunshine3601Debbie, I am so very sorry to read about your and Eric's loss.  Thank you for sharing Mike's story with us. So hard losing a friend, no matter the circumstances.  It sounds like you and Eric shared many happy times with Mike.  Hold those memories close to your heart.

I thought I clicked your post, not Arzeena's.  I think CC has a mind of its own.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

May Mike RIP❤️

I’m so sorry to read about your friend’s passing. As hard as it is to say goodbye, your friend is now in a better place. He will be among friends and family that left us already. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I initially thought he could have been choking on something as well, but they never showed the crew trying to dislodge the item. Especially when the event happened while they were eating. As we watched and listened to the people talk about how to treat him, we went to the seizure.  The tongue and conclusions is what did it for us. He also seemed to be foaming at the mouth. Very scary indeed. I guess we have just seen too many of them with Allie. 

21 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

The guest that experienced the medical emergency also said earlier in the episode that he wasn’t feeling well. He looked like he was sweating heavily as well. Hope it wasn’t anything too serious.

Since they are actually showing it I’m going with the guest will be OK. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

@Tree_skier 

I’m wondering if you’ve ever taken the sea to sky gondola in Squamish? There’s a pick up shuttle in Vancouver and I’m seriously considering it.  If it is on the road to Whistler it must be lovely. 

Sorry, I’ve never taken it. I’ve driven past it hundreds of times on my way up to Whistler/Blackcomb to ski. That being said, the stretch of Highway from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver to Squamish is absolutely the most beautiful highway you will ever travel in your life. The views are absolutely breathtaking.

If you have a chance to rent a car and go all the way to Whistler you can ride their gondola which takes much much higher and has some extensive hiking trails and the Peak to Peak gondola. It is the worlds longest suspended gondola. 2.7 miles long, it takes you from the Whistler peak to the Blackcomb peak. Winter or summer it is a must do if you have the option.  I’m on the road and DW driving for a couple hours so I might have missed the your schedule since CC is a little tougher on my phone. I’ll give you all the recommendations I can. If you give me your schedule while in YVR. 

May Mike RIP❤️

So sorry for your loss. 

• Thanks 1

Our weekend starts tomorrow with a 4 hour car ride to Provincials. If things go well we come home Sunday, but it’s going to be a tough tournament.  Our bracket has the hardest teams playing each other. 12 teams in 16U and it’s a double loss knock out tourney. With two games Friday, that could be it. It’s all a wait and see. 

Somehow 😉 the host town is playing against the 3 easiest teams in their pairings.  Surprise, 🙃

IMG_3111.thumb.jpeg.b6f13213c3c4b7f08b815402169644ee.jpeg

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Our weekend starts tomorrow with a 4 hour car ride to Provincials. If things go well we come home Sunday, but it’s going to be a tough tournament.  Our bracket has the hardest teams playing each other. 12 teams in 16U and it’s a double loss knock out tourney. With two games Friday, that could be it. It’s all a wait and see. 

Somehow 😉 the host town is playing against the 3 easiest teams in their pairings.  Surprise, 🙃

IMG_3111.thumb.jpeg.b6f13213c3c4b7f08b815402169644ee.jpeg

Sounds like lots of fun, Good Luck to Owen and his team!!

• Like 3