Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 1/14/2024 at 2:43 PM, h20skibum said:

My son lived a few blocks from the stadium in Orchard Park for a while, before he moved to Williamsville, not far from the Buffalo airport.  

I grew up in Williamsville (Williamsville East HS).  That's where my unfortunate die hard Bills fandom got permanently injected into my veins.  I've often wished that I could root for another team but alas, I'm stuck with them for better or worse.  At least I'm not a Browns fan.  They've suffered far worse.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 8:20 AM, Ocean Boy said:

It is so much better being at Havensight than at Crown Bay.

Unless you just want to walk to the ferry that goes to Water Island and spend the day at Honeymoon Beach.  This is one of our preferred St. Thomas activities.

• Like 2

While in NYC, we stayed at The Michelangelo Hotel, per @George C's recommendation (thanks George!).  We had booked a Junior Suite but upgraded to a One Bedroom Grand Suite when we checked in for an additional $110 per night.  We had prepaid for the JS so we were really getting a GS for just $110...right?  I like this girl math thing.

The room was HUGE (800 sq ft) with a separate bedroom, 2 full bathrooms, and a large living room.  I think it was bigger than many NYC apartments.  While it was definitely more space than we needed, I really liked having the living room for when we'd be in our room for a while.  Service was fantastic from everyone, the bed was very comfortable, and the location was really good.

The only negative was that it was slightly dated.  There were some ripped carpet seams and lots of scratches in the wooden floors and outlets.  While very noticeable when we first arrived, that all blended into the background after a day or so.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2024 at 5:55 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Never been to Trinidad & Tobago. I'll be interested in your thoughts.

I'd be interested too!  We are doing this cruise in a month with friends!  🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@Sea Dog My two cents-

You look younger without the mustache,however,it does compliment your name of SeaDog.

As long as you and your wife like the ‘stash,that’s all that matters. 
My DH has had a mustache for years. It goes with his face,or maybe I am used to it for all these years.

Recently,he decided to grow a beard !!! I think it makes him look much older as it is all white. Hoping he decides to shave it off one of these days. 

@Keksie It looks like the kitchen reno will open up the area to the living room. Looks good. I am always interested in renovations and decorating done to people’s homes. Hope the work continues to go as planned and that you are pleased with the final results.

@lenquixote66 Glad that you finally got a Mickey Mouse tee shirt !

My DH has worn a gold Mickey Mouse watch for years. Mickey is very subtle on the watch face,a small image near the numeral 6. It is a prized possession for him. Reminds him to be young at heart !

As for the Playoff Games  so far- Chiefs had a tough game -weather wise. Playing in those temps showed their tenacity.

Glad the Packers won- a young team coming together with Love playing great..

Also glad for the Lions’ win - always cheer for the underdog. It was their first Playoff Game win  in decades.

Hoping the Bills hold on to their lead tonight. Another freezing cold game,but it’s January in Buffalo.

It will be interesting who wins the Bucs’ Eagles’game later tonight.

It seems that football and the weather are giving a lot of people something to talk about!

Stay safe and warm everyone!

MJ🙎🏻‍♀️

I had a Donald Duck watch once .I do not remember what happened to it.

• Like 2

After checking in, we walked 4 blocks to Times Square and spent about 30 seconds there.  Check.  We then walked to the Rockefeller Center area.  The tree was still up and lit.

IMG_0989.thumb.jpg.4c45a55803691f08cc59c07c44ba038b.jpg

IMG_0990.thumb.jpg.4cf77dc935958b178f68d8a5e98413cd.jpg

IMG_0991.thumb.jpg.32b330ed68574a63396371401e58ede0.jpg

The area looked great at night.

IMG_0997.thumb.jpg.26d4e3daac95e575b99ee1d40fb93b16.jpg

IMG_0998.thumb.JPG.d9ac60ba5707c86634684f8e147f8631.JPG

Micheline surprisingly had no desire to go into Saks.  That probably saved me a few dollars. 😜

APC_4050.thumb.JPG.a5dd16022fe779df375a778f7a101d89.JPG

We then took a walk though St. Patrick's Cathedral.  What an absolutely beautiful church.

APC_4051.thumb.JPG.447a7ff001b28347b178c5e58b359a30.JPG

APC_4052.thumb.JPG.c297de39f4df41a9ff3f65d3b2776e40.JPG

APC_4055.thumb.JPG.968f5652aa550cd2517e784d70c0088a.JPG

APC_4054.thumb.JPG.730bb39fe3414bc2e55d65cbfe6f8a3e.JPG

We found a friendly Irish Pub called Sean's Bar & Kitchen where we enjoyed some food and drinks before calling it a night.

• Like 21

17 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I've had my beard & mustache since 1987, never shaved it off once. Not even sure I remember how to shave, I'd probably end up cutting my jugular. 😀

I had a beard since 1970 and a mustache since 1961.I shaved in 2016 just so my immediate family could see what  I looked like.I began to grow both back the same day.My father bought me a razor in 1959.I still have it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Just a question for the gentlemen on this board who have beards. Do you trim your beard at home with a beard trimmer or go to a barber for regular trims?

Asking for a friend.- my DH.

He had it trimmed once so far and is thinking about getting a trimmer to take care of his beard by himself.

Thanks for any advice.

MJ🙎🏻‍♀️

At one time I had a beard down to my belly.I refused to remove it when I was asked to do so at job interviews.In 1972 I began a job for a company that I worked for 25 years.Although they hired me with the long beard I was asked to have it trimmed and due to the fact that I liked working there I went to a barber and had it trimmed but still very long.Over the course of the 25 years I had the beard trimmed whenever I had a haircut but never short.Toby trims it occasionally but every time I get my haircut by my barber I have it trimmed.

I also had a ponytail from 1971 to 1978.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I have had my beard since 1978. Shaved it off once, but my wife wanted me to grow it back asap.

It turned gray when I was 30.  That was the year my first child was born.  I think there may be some correlation. 🤔

My beard turned grey when I was 30 also but I hated  it and had the barber color it .In 2010 I stopped coloring it.Now it is white and I do not like it 

However,I am the only person I know my age who has hair.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

At one time I had a beard down to my belly.I refused to remove it when I was asked to do so at job interviews.In 1972 I began a job for a company that I worked for 25 years.Although they hired me with the long beard I was asked to have it trimmed and due to the fact that I liked working there I went to a barber and had it trimmed but still very long.Over the course of the 25 years I had the beard trimmed whenever I had a haircut but never short.Toby trims it occasionally but every time I get my haircut by my barber I have it trimmed.

I also had a ponytail from 1971 to 1978.

You old hippie. 😁✌️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We got back from our NYC trip Sunday night.  Played golf and watched the Bills game yesterday, and am sitting at home now while it rains here.  Finally caught up on this thread.

We had a great trip.  The Billy Joel concert was incredible.  His energy and his voice at 74...just amazing.  The Book of Mormon was hilarious.  Definitely a lot of adult content.  We did a few other fun things while there and of course had some great food.  Weather was pretty good...mostly in the 40s and even peaking up in the 50s, with some wind.  Temps dropped on Sunday and the wind picked up, delaying our flight out of LGA for an hour.  I watched 4 straight planes trying to land on runway 22 before having to do a go around right before touching down.  They ended up closing that runway and had everything both landing and taking off on runway 31.  I think there were 12 planes waiting in front of us to take off and we spent an extra 30 minutes taxiing. 

I'll separately post some pics and videos of the weekend.

Glad that you enjoyed the concert .My daughter who lives in Manhattan was there the next night to see Tool.

8 minutes ago, doghog said:

You old hippie. 😁✌️

One day I went with my wife shopping to a store and waited for her outside.A group of guys saw me ,did not like my look ,picked up a garbage can and attempted to pour the contents on my head.

• Like 1

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

One day I went with my wife shopping to a store and waited for her outside.A group of guys saw me ,did not like my look ,picked up a garbage can and attempted to pour the contents on my head.

I can remember those days of being judged by the length of my hair. The song "Signs" by Five Man Electrical Band comes to my mind. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks!  To me they are growing up so quickly. 

You can't blink, John.  The kids do grow up so quickly!  Thank you for sharing your beautiful grandchildren with us 💖

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We were just watching Murder She Wrote.  Most of the show took place on a plane.  All the guys had suits on and ladies in dresses.  A few were smoking. Different days.  I was thinking this must be from late 60's or 70s.   The series was from 1984 to 1996.  Surprised me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

On a better note, my mammogram was good…..

Congratulations that’s great news.

54 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

After checking in, we walked 4 blocks to Times Square and spent about 30 seconds there.  Check.  We then walked to the Rockefeller Center area.  The tree was still up and lit.

The area looked great at night.

IMG_0997.thumb.jpg.26d4e3daac95e575b99ee1d40fb93b16.jpg

Hey @Momof3gurlz what’s Andy’s and your tree doing in NYC???????

*Inside joke*****

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I just love those kids.  I never tire of the pictures you post.

I may of shared these last summer.   We spent time in Lakeside Ohio.  The kids hired a photographer.   For Christmas they gifted us with an enlargement of this pic 

IMG_0399.thumb.jpg.da6575df24cf08f4306f1f617b36eea0.jpg

Then they gifted us this pic on a one inch canvas.

IMG_0233.thumb.jpg.5106914c1c34619d05bd4ad915237c5b.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I may of shared these last summer.   We spent time in Lakeside Ohio.  The kids hired a photographer.   For Christmas they gifted us with an enlargement of this pic 

Great pictures of the family.  I like those. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Beautiful family pictures, what a great gift.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

While in NYC, we stayed at The Michelangelo Hotel, per @George C's recommendation (thanks George!).  We had booked a Junior Suite but upgraded to a One Bedroom Grand Suite when we checked in for an additional $110 per night.  We had prepaid for the JS so we were really getting a GS for just $110...right?  I like this girl math thing.

The room was HUGE (800 sq ft) with a separate bedroom, 2 full bathrooms, and a large living room.  I think it was bigger than many NYC apartments.  While it was definitely more space than we needed, I really liked having the living room for when we'd be in our room for a while.  Service was fantastic from everyone, the bed was very comfortable, and the location was really good.

The only negative was that it was slightly dated.  There were some ripped carpet seams and lots of scratches in the wooden floors and outlets.  While very noticeable when we first arrived, that all blended into the background after a day or so.

We always book suite , we used to get normal king suite which has 1.5 bathrooms, now we get the 800 sq Ft suite . Both have large living rooms and we have friends join us for a drink there . What restaurants did you visit ? 

• Like 3

Ok, probably a crazy thing to ask on a cruising site, but has anyone seen any outstanding wave season deals yet?

Maybe I am longing for some of those “good old days” deals where I would say that I just had to book it.   Not seeing it yet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Ok, probably a crazy thing to ask on a cruising site, but has anyone seen any outstanding wave season deals yet?

Maybe I am longing for some of those “good old days” deals where I would say that I just had to book it.   Not seeing it yet. 

Hard to find "deals" like they were after the start up.  We used to book our on.  Now we find our best deals from "the" TA.  Group rates and OBC. He can check out a time period or a particular departure port.  In the past year or so using a TA has been the best option.   Easy and less expensive. 

• Like 8