Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

No I had the mustache starting in college. I’ve been afraid to shave it off as I have had it for over 40 years. Not sure I would recognize myself.

I grew my mustache starting in 1971 when I was discharged from the army. That was one of the happiest days in my life , was extremely lucky, spent a year in Oklahoma then a year in Germany ( most likely since I worked with computers) and avoided Vietnam. Love watching the cowboys blow yet a playoff game , I still say they will never win another championship when he controls the team . I will be 75 on next birthday and hair is still brown but mustache is white .

Edited by George C
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

88f sounds perfect!   Can I stowaway in your luggage?   

I think you will like Barbados and St Lucia.  We have never been to Trinidad & Tobago.  Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Any excursions booked?

I could adjust my luggage size if you want to give it a shot!  😂

So far we have 2 different catamaran excursions booked.  1 private excursion with elegance catamaran in barbados

and also the western coast catamaran excursion through royal in st lucia.  i think we will likely take the water taxi over to the beach in st Maarten.  Trinidad & Tobago are wild cards at the moment.

Looking forward to whole day pre-cruise in san juan as well.  even if it’s just to decompress and begin vacation before boarding.  Splurged a bit on the Condado Ocean Club for the pre cruise stay.  super excited to be cruising again!!  🍻😀

Edited by SteelCityCruiser10
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I could adjust my luggage size if you want to give it a shot!  😂

So far we have 2 different catamaran excursions booked.  1 private excursion with elegance catamaran in barbados

and also the western coast catamaran excursion through royal in st lucia.  i think we will likely take the water taxi over to the beach in st Maarten.  Trinidad & Tobago are wild cards at the moment.

Looking forward to whole day pre-cruise in san juan as well.  even if it’s just to decompress and begin vacation before boarding.  Splurged a bit on the Condado Ocean Club for the pre cruise stay.  super excited to be cruising again!!  🍻😀

This all sounds great!  Hope to see some nice sunny photos to warm us up!

Our next booked cruise isn't till March 3rd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They have been saying the last couple of weeks have been crappy and we all kept hoping the weather would improve for this coming week.

I hope it does improve for all of you soon. 

BTW, they keep having internet (comcast) problems at their house in Cape Coral.   Is your internet any better?

Sadly, my Internet is out once again.  I'm about ready to cancel our Summit account   it only seems to be in my Condo.  Old wiring.  We've had the techs here twice so far..last week, and then this week.  Luckily, our daughter can do our online banking for us back home.  

Our Community will be getting a new company in March, and they have FiOS.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They have been saying the last couple of weeks have been crappy and we all kept hoping the weather would improve for this coming week.

I hope it does improve for all of you soon. 

BTW, they keep having internet (comcast) problems at their house in Cape Coral.   Is your internet any better?

Our Internet company is Summit.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, George C said:

My friend had to spend 4 months in a hotel with his dogs while his house was being repaired, but looks great now , he is in Plano . Might get some freezing sleet later . 

We lived in Plano before downsizing, across the street from Deerfield area where all the amazing Christmas lights are.  In the 15 years we lived there, we only had one weather problem.  Due to a hailstorm, we had to install a new roof same as approx. 75% of the unhappy neighbors on my block.

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

After looking at the 10 day forecast for Cape Coral and Gasparilla Island and speaking with my Boss, we have decided to postpone our trip.    Originally scheduled to fly to Ft Meyers airport Thursday morning but with temps to be in the 60's with rain and high winds forecasted for most of the weekend we decided to postpone our trip for a couple of weeks. 

image.png.6893719a28ddeb738fd40a81e1ea7dc1.png

It saddens me to think we cancelled our Anthem sailing for Jan 18th 11 nighter because of Yeshiva week and now postponing this trip.    I was so hoping to be soaking up some warm sun somewhere this January.    For now, we have our fireplace and cats to snuggle up with.  

I hope everyone remains safe during this brutal cold weather and has no issues with power outages.

Major disappointment for you and Eric, but I predict some amazing trips in your future !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

We lived in Plano before downsizing, across the street from Deerfield area where all the amazing Christmas lights are.  In the 15 years we lived there, we only had one weather problem.  Due to a hailstorm, we had to install a new roof same as approx. 75% of the unhappy neighbors on my block.

Major disappointment for you and Eric, but I predict some amazing trips in your future !

I had to replace roof a couple of times in Coppell , got new roof last year in Carrollton but insurance paid almost the entire price.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Current temp is 15 F.  We head out for San Juan onThursday.  Checked the temps there & looks like around 88.  That’ll be a welcome change!  Boarding Jewel on Saturday for S. Caribbean.  We are excited for a few “new to us” ports like Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago and St Lucia.  Might start a live thread if I’m feeling it.  

Our neighbors are  on a cruise that left today from San Juan. They went on the new Norwegian Viva Ship. They flew in on Friday.

They said the weather in San Juan right now is great!!

Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico hotels 14Jan  20:00
15 Jan 07:00 - 16:00     Tortola Island BVI, Road Town, UK Virgin Islands
16 Jan 11:00 - 20:00     Castries, St Lucia Island
17 Jan 07:00 - 16:00     Bridgetown, Barbados
18 Jan 10:00 - 19:00     St Johns Antigua, RCI Royal Beach Club
19 Jan 10:00 - 19:00     Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
20 Jan 08:00 - 17:00     St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands
21 Jan 07:00     Arriving in San Juan, Puerto Rico

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

If you scan the bar code with a barcode scanner it will show you the numbers.

This seems to work, thankyou.  Shows its towards the back on 6 port side. With, as expected, a lifeboat blocking the view, but I think the smoking bus stop is on the other side ? 

I've put in a low bid for a large balcony OV in the hope of getting a higher floor but not the end of the world if we stay where we are 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Our neighbors are  on a cruise that left today from San Juan. They went on the new Norwegian Viva Ship. They flew in on Friday.

20 Jan 08:00 - 17:00     St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands

Sounds like a great itinerary. Is it a big ship? Wonder why RC big girls don't do this type of itinerary. I presume because they can't dock at smaller ports ? 

Edited by sgmn

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Nice itinerary!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Current temp is 15 F.  We head out for San Juan onThursday.  Checked the temps there & looks like around 88.  That’ll be a welcome change!  Boarding Jewel on Saturday for S. Caribbean.  We are excited for a few “new to us” ports like Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago and St Lucia.  Might start a live thread if I’m feeling it.  

I like those port intensive itineraries in the southern Caribbean from San Juan. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I’ve done some poking around on different sites to see how crowded ports will be.  I noticed we will be in port with Viva a couple times.  St Lucia and St Maarten I think it was.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We are looking at that one for next march.  Ncl docks in havensight; which is a plus 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

We are still debating what to do for both of those ports.  CC doesn’t have much positive info on either.  At minimum we will

explore the port area I think.  Talked about doing a beach excursion but just not sold on anything yet.  Going to see how we feel about it onboard.

In November we took the Pigeon Point Beach excursion in Tobago, with Celebrity.

You will have to form your your opinion on whether you liked it or not. I had no problem.
I am saying this because I am not a negative person, I was fine with it, I saw something new, it was good enough for me, I had nice food, there were 2 restaurants and restrooms, we got two loungers in a nice shaded and breezy spot, transport buses were just fine, had AC...........but the rest of the excursion people had nothing but buckets of complaints. Celebrity refunded everyone with the entire amount, the next day.
A friend did the folklore and sightseeing excursion in Tobago and liked it a lot.
I did not feel unsafe at any point. People were very friendly.

Earlier on I had posted pictures, if you can find those posts from the end of Nov.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

In November we took the Pigeon Point Beach excursion in Tobago, with Celebrity.

You will have to form your your opinion on whether you liked it or not. I had no problem.
I am saying this because I am not a negative person, I was fine with it, I saw something new, it was good enough for me, I had nice food, there were 2 restaurants and restrooms, we got two loungers in a nice shaded and breezy spot, transport buses were just fine, had AC...........but the rest of the excursion people had nothing but buckets of complaints. Celebrity refunded everyone with the entire amount, the next day.
A friend did the folklore and sightseeing excursion in Tobago and liked it a lot.
I did not feel unsafe at any point. People were very friendly.

Earlier on I had posted pictures, if you can find those posts from the end of Nov.

Thanks I will scroll back and look for that.  Pigeon Point is one we are considering to try.  Do you recall if the bus ride was long?  

1 minute ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Thanks I will scroll back and look for that.  Pigeon Point is one we are considering to try.  Do you recall if the bus ride was long?  

I would say 45 minutes? But return seemed a little faster.
If you do go, when you get off the bus at PP, walk right (facing the water) all the way to the end point where there a restaurant. That is where we camped. Decent rest room inside, picnic benches, outside bar, inside tables.

Lounge chair situation was a bit different......where the bus drops you , a little bit to the right was an ice cream stand where you collect a ticket for $5 per chair. Then you go to the lounge chair guy and stand in line and get him to put your chair where you want. We paid him $10 tip to bring our chairs to the restaurant area all the way to the right hand corner. One can also drag their own lounger. No umbrella was required where we were....lots of shade. This lounge chair business was what many people had complaints about, but we managed it. I do agree that Celebrity could have managed this better by pre reserving chairs or spaces/areas for their excursions, but we were the first cruise to Tobago, so may be now it is better managed. Pigeon Point is their national park, so it is open to all and that day there were many people, but on on each others' backs.
The port area had very few vendors set up (five maybe?). I got a christmas ornament from a local artist which I have posted picture of here as well. Port looks big but not a lot there if you just stay within. Once you dock do a visual survey from the ship to check it out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Today’s hourly forecast in F not C. 

IMG_3332.thumb.jpeg.7ef65ca3b01017f0f4f40d367b00723d.jpeg

Well dang, I won't complain about our rainy cool temps down here.  Although it's supposed to warm up today before getting cool again tomorrow.

How is your Mom, Andrew?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I don’t follow NCL very closely anymore.  Viva is their newest ship? No?

Yes, first sailing was December 29th, My neighbors are on the 3rd sailing in a Category H4

H4The Haven Aft-Facing Owner's Suite With Master Bedroom & Large BalconyThese Suites feature access to The Haven amenities, master bedroom with king-size bed, aft-facing balcony with hot tub. Indulge in luxury and pamper yourself in The Haven with spacious accommodations, 24-hour butler and concierge service, and awe-inspiring views from your large, aft-facing balcony. Accommodates: 2-4. Total Approx. Size: 974-994 sq. ft. Balcony Size: 527-535 sq. ft

image.png.b631d181200fce385fb245010b5c200e.png
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, first sailing was December 29th, My neighbors are on the 3rd sailing in a Category H4

H4The Haven Aft-Facing Owner's Suite With Master Bedroom & Large BalconyThese Suites feature access to The Haven amenities, master bedroom with king-size bed, aft-facing balcony with hot tub. Indulge in luxury and pamper yourself in The Haven with spacious accommodations, 24-hour butler and concierge service, and awe-inspiring views from your large, aft-facing balcony. Accommodates: 2-4. Total Approx. Size: 974-994 sq. ft. Balcony Size: 527-535 sq. ft

image.png.b631d181200fce385fb245010b5c200e.png

I had some very negative things on NCL cruises, haven’t cruised them in 20 years (but loved them in 80’s and 90’s) I have read good things about Haven , this suite seems between the size of royal and penthouse suites on celebrity. 59 days to our royal suite on a music charter with Don McLean, Dave Mason and many others.

We have snow in Dallas 😁😁😁😁, not sure last time this happened 

image.thumb.jpeg.ff60359591b3c483eef18865a5384d11.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, George C said:

I had some very negative things on NCL cruises, haven’t cruised them in 20 years (but loved them in 80’s and 90’s) I have read good things about Haven , this suite seems between the size of royal and penthouse suites on celebrity. 59 days to our royal suite on a music charter with Don McLean, Dave Mason and many others.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I remember that icy weather in February, I think 2021.  We also lived near a hospital and never lost power.

I saw no forecast for possible snow here.  It's just freezing cold, 12 degrees now.  We just got back from Costco.  No biggie.  Just put on our winter jackets (which I wore less than 10 times here in 20 years).  People have been stocking up on essentials and are hunkered down in their homes.  To me, this is regular NY Winter not even single digit weather.  When we get infrequent snow or ice, that's when I stay in. 

When my step daughter moved to Houston back in 2016, I went apartment hunting with her. Middle of September, 95+ degrees during the day, high 70's/low 80's at night  and about 12,000% humidity. Many of the apartments we looked at had fireplaces which I couldn't understand. Who would want a fire when it was so hot? I just assumed it was decorative.

Well, she ended up getting an apartment without a fire place and that following Jan/Feb she wish she had. Even thought the temperatures were in the 40's, she always said 40 degrees in Houston feels like 10 degrees in NY, I guess because of the dampness/humidity.

32 minutes ago, George C said:

You have more snow on the ground in Dallas in my section of NY. 😃

Although that's going to change tomorrow.  Supposed to get 1-3 inches which is annoying. Not enough to use the snowblower but enough for me to shovel.

• Like 5