Royal Caribbean to use three Australia based cruise ships to repatriate crew members home

And, while this is very good news for the RCI crew, realize that the estimated 80,000 crew docked or anchored on cruise ships near the US represents only about 5% of the active merchant mariners on ships today.  The 1.6 million mariners currently onboard ships are historically doing 100,000 crew changes a month, or 3300 per day.  Nearly all of these mariners are currently under crew change freezes, either because the ports don't allow crew changes, and this is in many, many, nations, or there are flight restrictions to/from their home countries.  This will eventually lead to an even greater slowdown/shutdown of the world's economy, since 80% of the world's trade travels by sea.

• Like 3

There seemed to be a meeting of several RCCL ships (Spectrum, Voyager, Ovation, X Solstice, Azmara Journey) just south of Bali and they may have consolidated all the crew onto Spectrum as she seems to be the only ship to pull into port. The ships seem to be dispersing a bit with Voyager on the way to Manila (I assume to drop off all the Filipino crew).

Just reported on Azamara board:

All the Filipinos are on Spectrum heading to Manila where they will disembark and go home and the rest of the international crew have gone to Ovation. They don't know when they'll be back home. Could be 10 days. Could be a month. They don't know. 

Edited by Bobal

Just reported on Azamara board:
All the Filipinos are on Spectrum heading to Manila where they will disembark and go home and the rest of the international crew have gone to Ovation. They don't know when they'll be back home. Could be 10 days. Could be a month. They don't know.

I suspect it will be much longer than that or they would not have spent the time to take them home.
  • Like 1

I am guessing the crew manning the ships, have a lot of time on their hands and no real place to go anyway.  Putting the crew members ashore by taking them there...is probably easier than putting them all on flights?  

I am watching Radiance to see if it will finally make it's way to Vancouver for first of July.  Australia did not want them coming ashore there...so was natural to just slide on up to SE Asia I suppose.  

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

so was natural to just slide on up to SE Asia I suppose

They'll need to find a cheap place to hang out for at least the next month. Ovation is in port in Bali, I assume to resupply. Voyager and Spectrum on the way to Manila. But for the recent spike in cases in Singapore, I would have guessed Voyager out of there would have the best chance of sailing in June.

Edited by Biker19

22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

They'll need to find a cheap place to hang out for at least the next month. Ovation is in port in Bali, I assume to resupply. Voyager and Spectrum on the way to Manila. But for the recent spike in cases in Singapore, I would have guessed Voyager out of there would have the best chance of sailing in June.

Still hoping to see part of the Alaska season happen after July 1st...hoping anyway...not holding my breath. 😞   That is why I am watching Radiance, am booked for 8/14 & 8/21.  Right now she is just sitting out there, not moving...in the North Malacca Strait.  Looks like a LOT of ships sitting out there.  Busy place.  😮 

23 hours ago, Biker19 said:

There seemed to be a meeting of several RCCL ships (Spectrum, Voyager, Ovation, X Solstice, Azmara Journey) just south of Bali and they may have consolidated all the crew onto Spectrum as she seems to be the only ship to pull into port. The ships seem to be dispersing a bit with Voyager on the way to Manila (I assume to drop off all the Filipino crew).

A crew member on Voyager tells me that she, her partner and others from Romania are hoping to fly back home from Manila. Don't know more than that except that she is in good spirits and crew are now able to get fresh air on the outside decks .

50 minutes ago, island lady said:

I am watching Radiance to see if it will finally make it's way to Vancouver for first of July.  Australia did not want them coming ashore there...so was natural to just slide on up to SE Asia I suppose.  

Canada and the US yesterday agreed to another 30 days of the border being closed to all but commercial goods/essential goods each way. It will be revisited again when that is about to expire.

I personally do not see Canada opening for cruises any earlier than the July 1st date.  With the actions of some individuals in the States these last couple days, I think the July 1st date might/could be pushed back further.  @Hoopster95 @Ourusualbeachwhat do you two think?

Who knows, maybe the cruise lines are not even planning on Alaska, but are holding off on cancellations to keep the funds as long as possible. 

8 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Canada and the US yesterday agreed to another 30 days of the border being closed to all but commercial goods/essential goods each way. It will be revisited again when that is about to expire.

I personally do not see Canada opening for cruises any earlier than the July 1st date.  With the actions of some individuals in the States these last couple days, I think the July 1st date might/could be pushed back further.  @Hoopster95 @Ourusualbeachwhat do you two think?

Who knows, maybe the cruise lines are not even planning on Alaska, but are holding off on cancellations to keep the funds as long as possible. 

The very earliest would be July 1st for Canada...that was their original date weeks ago.  Would not expect them to open any earlier for sure.  If it goes beyond July 1st into August...not much Alaska season left, guessing whole season is toast.  

Royal is doing the 30 day at a time cancellations...probably easier for refunding.  I fully expect another 30 day suspension announcement to come out in a few weeks.  

36 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Princess and Holland have cancelled their one way Alaska cruises and have closed their Lodges for the season.  I give round trips out of Seattle a 50/50 chance at best for the season and could see the July Departure date pushed back.  

At at some time  though you get the the point where even though you could sail do you reposition the ship for a moths sailings with a most likely a near empty ship.

Currently my July 10 Alaska sailing is only about 1/2 full.  If it goes we will definitely be able to social distance.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

At at some time  though you get the the point where even though you could sail do you reposition the ship for a moths sailings with a most likely a near empty ship.

Currently my July 10 Alaska sailing is only about 1/2 full.  If it goes we will definitely be able to social distance.

Me too for my 8/14 & 8/21 Radiance Alaska.  Have same GS for both legs...can easily social distance hanging out in that cabin to watch the scenery of Alaska go by....wishful and hopeful it will happen.  But prepared if it doesn't. Will break my heart to lose that one over all of them that I have booked for this year.   Was to  be big celebration cruise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

what do you two think?

Wow... super loaded question that can dynamically change week over week over the next few months.... let me take my crystal ball out....

Firstly, I always look at recent history for some proof (ie. I've quoted S.Korea often for example). I'll never forget the very next day after Pandemic was announced with possible beginning of shut downs, nothing at all official yet (I think that was March 3???). Anyways. I go to my local Starbucks and they already had chairs and tables turned over the very next morning, order taken outside at a desk (no drive through at this location) and then only allowed to go up to the counter to grab your coffee when ready. I walk/jog and I am extremely proud the last 5-6 weeks seeing very few people on the road at different times of the day... and when I do, one of us change sides of the street were on, or at least deviate onto the road to leave the other with the sidewalk space. There's always a nod or "hello", excellent camaraderie at this time I've experienced.

While it seems now looking back 6 weeks that we (BC and Canada as a whole) did very well to try at least begin mitigating the virus, the USA kind of did/kind of didn't (Florida beaches example, churches, etc). And now look at the protests.... "fight for your right" to work.... a break down of obedience. Leadership has been deplorable.... one day leadership says one thing, the next leadership is siding with the protesters to save votes.

Sad really. I am surprised there haven't been more deaths in the US. Maybe that's coming as people go "back to normal", I don't know. Maybe over the next year, 1mil-2mil deaths isn't that far away after all... rip off the band aid,  kill the weak right away but save the economy and normal life for the rest of the 358,000,000 citizens.

How long has Italy and Spain been going at this... in absolute and total lockdown no less? Without disobedience?? They've been at this for 2+ months and the end is not close. I would think that if the US go "back to normal" and cases continue (increase?) for a few months, I would really hope our borders stay closed to non-essential travel. We're doing super well up here. 

As far as cruising goes, I feel it has nothing to do with borders and everything to do with the CDC current requirements. The amount of money RC  will need for every ship for increased staffing, more doctors on board, less revenue, not sailing full, needing a reserve for an evacuation and private funding to privately fly 3000-5000 passengers home in an event is astounding and almost incomprehensible. Plus they are still likely to get rid of 25% min of market share by not allowing anyone over 70 on board... I guess a great way to limit the amount of bookings (and limit the risk) per ship. The very second a ship is allowed to sail with 3000 people, and if yet another COVID outbreak occurs with dying cruisers denied entry back to port, it will as close to game over for these cruise lines in both the media and public perception.

• Like 1

I wish to add that at some point any business reaches some sort of desperation... there may be (... will be....) a point where they try to sail regardless of the seemingly insurmountable hurdles in front of them. Maybe they can climb and get overtop those hurdles? Maybe they can't. But they're going to try, else they just may as well go bankrupt right now and get it over with. So I feel it's not a matter of if, it's when they sail. So far, concencus is RC has about 9-10 months of funds to survive without sailing... That takes them to December 2020. My guess to save money, they leave all the ships exactly where they are now, praying for further flattening of curves. Hopefully to resume in September? A very uneducated and ignorant personal guess here. Your guess is as good as mine.

I've said before along with many others on this forum, the "magic pill" of some sort of quick test, and even more so the miracle of a 100% fool proof immunization that is discovered in miracle record time, might be the only way the cruise lines can survive to ensure they will not get one single case in board. One infected case on board is all it will take to cause panic on board (to get off) and media/public negative attention.

• Like 2

Spectrum and Voyager at anchor in Manila Bay and it seems like Ovation and Radiance got tired of hanging out off Singapore/Malaysia and are headed east. No sure why Quantum seems to be heading to Bali.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...