Is this really the new going rate?

1 minute ago, grandgeezer said:

A mountain of new debt and no real money coming in for a month, and maybe longer. The money to pay that off and keep sailing  has to come from somewhere. You can’t be surprised.

I would be surprised if the prices weren't high. It doesn't mean I would be willing to pay it though. They have to be careful because if cruising is no longer considered a value vacation they could lose their audience and be left with only those who have FCC's  to fill the ships. As it is the cruise industry has alienated the 70+ crowd by having to produce a Dr's note.

• Like 4

Yup, they have lo$t the 70+ crowd.

1. Kids sail FREE (but don't buy Drink Packages).

2. Families with kids don't usually buy Deluxe Dining Packages.

3. Gamblers get free cruises (except for tax).

4. Gamblers get free drinks so don't need Drink Package.

5. Debt service to pay on junk bonds.

6. They must get that 125% FCC back.

It follows that prices will climb.

:-]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Is there a way to see what the prevailing rate for a drink package is on any particular sailing without being booked on said sailing? 

No but if you have a sailing in mind you might check the roll call and ask someone there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Is there a way to see what the prevailing rate for a drink package is on any particular sailing without being booked on said sailing? 

No. Not unless you ask on the roll call. :classic_tongue:

Edited by Coralc
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure that they fully understand their price elasticity.  Or maybe they are testing how far they can stretch and still get takers during this unusual time.  Ultimately, supply and demand will take over.  They will either sell an acceptable amount at insane prices, or prices will drop.  Sales = Price X Volume, not just Price.

I'm really trying to find a reason to take the 125% FCC and rebook, but they're making it very difficult. If they're going to charge $84 a day for the drink package, I'm going to be almost forced to take the refund and book on another line or take a land-based vacation. It's going to end up costing me several hundred dollars to re-create the vacation that got canceled, even with the 25% kicker and that just doesn't sit well. 

8 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

I'm really trying to find a reason to take the 125% FCC and rebook, but they're making it very difficult. If they're going to charge $84 a day for the drink package, I'm going to be almost forced to take the refund and book on another line or take a land-based vacation. It's going to end up costing me several hundred dollars to re-create the vacation that got canceled, even with the 25% kicker and that just doesn't sit well. 

See my post #26. You are the example of what I predicted. and it only took 10 posts to prove it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I just checked Oasis for next Jan., $84.00 per day for the deluxe package. Refreshment package is $34.00 per day and soda is $13.50 per day.

I just realized those prices I listed did not include the 18% gratuity. We are talking just about $100 per day for the deluxe package. That is $1400 for two adults on a 7 day cruise.

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I just realized those prices I listed did not include the 18% gratuity. We are talking just about $100 per day for the deluxe package. That is $1400 for two adults on a 7 day cruise.

Harmony, 8D Balcony November 2021 $1875 taxes in 2 people. 

Drink package almost as much as the cruise.  If someone booked an inside it would be more than the cruise. 

• Like 4

These are the prices for a Caribbean 12nt sailing Dec 2021, daily rate and total for 2 inc grats. USD based on Google exchange rate. To be fair, barely higher than the pre-covid price on a summer med cruise we had booked looking at £, and $ is the same so it's based on the exchange rate. Plus we can expect 10/20/30% off promos at some point. These prices are always based on demand for the time of year you cruise.

Screenshot_20200404-223908~2.png

On 4/4/2020 at 9:19 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I just checked Oasis for next Jan., $84.00 per day for the deluxe package. Refreshment package is $34.00 per day and soda is $13.50 per day.

Another reason I am hoping our Oasis cruise is on for August 30.  Am accustomed  to the packaging of the drinks package on Celebrity,  Princess, NCL and MSC.  Add Cheers on Carnival with 10% discount and 10% additional discount using Allstate gift cards.  That leaves RCI and their roller coaster pricing which I hate.  May end up going back to having alligator arms when it comes to purchasing individual alcoholic drinks on RCI.

21 hours ago, mkmaj said:

$74/day for my February cruise... hopefully there will be a sale between now and then or no package for me!

Black Friday?

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

All Inclusive?

21 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Black Friday?

All Inclusive?

Right? Yes, hoping for Black Friday. Even at lower prices I think it's steep but the tradeoff of not having to worry about it is worth it to me. I like to have everything paid for and not have a bill at the end of a cruise. I always compare to all inclusive pricing because that's basically what you're buying into with the beverage package. 

My February 7th 2021 cruise on Oasis

Deluxe Beverage $89.00 per day. $735.14 per person w/grats =$1470.28 for 2ppl 

Refreshment pkg $34.00 per day.  $280.84 per person w/ grats 

Classic Soda $13.50 per day.  $111.51 per person w/grats 

I really like getting the deluxe package but these prices are making me totally rethink that!  I cannot justify spending that kind of money on alcohol.  We do enjoy our drinks but these prices are insane! We booked a ocean view balcony $2665.78 for 2 people so paying almost $1500 for drinks is just plain crazy to me!  I would have to be drunk the entire time just to get my monies worth! And enter rehab when I get home!  😝😝

6 minutes ago, Michelle loves cruising said:

You think that’s too much?

In the current climate, I wouldn't pay more than $100pppd for a balcony, especially in Feb.

Biker, who won't book anything outside of final payment for the foreseeable future and would take the cash on any cancelled cruise.

• Like 2