NSW Social Distancing

17 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

When I was young(er) we had mobile x-ray units everywhere.

Yes - that rings a bell. Knowing what we know now about XRays one can just hope they knew exactly what they were exposing us to. It's a bit like when we were at school, we were taught that  asbestos was the wonder building material. 

Just now, Pushka said:

Yes - that rings a bell. Knowing what we know now about XRays one can just hope they knew exactly what they were exposing us to. It's a bit like when we were at school, we were taught that  asbestos was the wonder building material. 

I thought the stuff was great when I threw bits in a fire and waited for it to explode. That was fun when it wasn't near cracker night when you could buy real bungers.

16 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Each Media broadcaster is telling their own story - I want to believe the uplifting story  - Two different stories, but there are lots more and these are the ones I focus on - the positive ones!!!  The vaccine will happen, sooner rather than later 👍

Coronavirus vaccine could be ready by September

Stefan Mitchell
7NEWS

Saturday, 11 April 2020 4:48 pm

And:

• Australian scientists have begun injecting ferrets with two potential vaccines. It is the first comprehensive pre-clinical trial to move to the animal testing stage, and the researchers say they hope to move to the human testing stage by the end of April.

They're telling the same story though. There's research happening, and a result "could" happen... but it may not either.

8 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

They're telling the same story though. There's research happening, and a result "could" happen... but it may not either.

I’m going with the could happen - and preferably will. The alternative is not an option Id even like to contemplate.
This isn’t SARS or MERS - it’s way more deadly!! 😳

Edited by Porky55

52 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I’m going with the could happen - and preferably will. The alternative is not an option Id even like to contemplate.
This isn’t SARS or MERS - it’s way more deadly!! 😳

Interesting that you say that. I googled and found the following. Compared to COVID-19, with a mortality rate of 3.4%, the other two viruses mentioned are:

SARS   15%

MERS  34.4% Source

• Like 1

Just now, By The Bay said:

Interesting that you say that. I googled and found the following. Compared to COVID-19, with a mortality rate of 3.4%, the other two viruses mentioned are:

SARS   15%

MERS  34.4% Source

Covid-19/coronavirus is more easily transmitted between people, so coupled with a death rate between 1 and possibly up to 8% or more, will and is, leading to more deaths. The death rate of covid-19 will vary depending on the case load in any location at a given point in time. So ultimately, covid-19 will be much more deadly.

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

How is that possible with 2700 pax and 1700 crew, and 15 deaths, more like 0.3%

The death rate is always calculated as  the number of deaths / number of infections expressed as a percentage. And there are 18 deaths. Several over the weekend. 

Otherwise the death rate of any infection would be infinitesimal as it would use total population as the denominator. 

Edited by Pushka

23 minutes ago, Pushka said:

The death rate is always calculated as  the number of deaths / number of infections expressed as a percentage. And there are 18 deaths. Several over the weekend. 

Otherwise the death rate of any infection would be infinitesimal as it would use total population as the denominator. 

Wow, another 3 over the weekend, perhaps the Ruby should be sold off to P&O instead of the Golden.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Wow, another 3 over the weekend, perhaps the Ruby should be sold off to P&O instead of the Golden.

It is almost like the Covid on board this ship seems much more virulent - deadly - than other covid hot spots. 

9 minutes ago, Pushka said:

It is almost like the Covid on board this ship seems much more virulent - deadly - than other covid hot spots. 

No, I don't think so, the numbers are very similar to Diamond but there have been a few more deaths from Ruby, which could be attributed to one of two things: older demographic in  general, and/or older Australians aren't as healthy as older Japanese.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think those mobile X-ray vans were checking for TB.

When my great uncle got TB, we had to all go up to Brisbane TB Clinic for x-rays.  He was put in to hospital and died not long after.  My great aunt said he died of a broken heart, as they had never been separated.  The doctors said his death was unexpected.

37 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When my great uncle got TB, we had to all go up to Brisbane TB Clinic for x-rays.  He was put in to hospital and died not long after.  My great aunt said he died of a broken heart, as they had never been separated.  The doctors said his death was unexpected.

My wife's uncle died just before the end of the Great War. Family oral history was that he was gassed. My own research found that he enlisted twice during the war and was discharged twice on medical grounds. He wasn't gassed, he had consumption - TB.

Edited by lyndarra

5 hours ago, By The Bay said:

SARS   15%

MERS  34.4% Source

It’s amazing what you can find on Google - because these are the figures I was basing my comments on (and why I still believe that there will be a vaccine for Covid19): 

(we both obviously have far too much spare time 🙄)

Just checked the link you have put in and we have actually gotten our information from the same site. These viruses are all about numbers - and if that is taken into account, this one is by far the worst. That is why I think (hope ) there will be a vaccine. 😔

SARS summary:

• Pathogen: SARS-CoV
  • Total number of cases: 8,439, 21% of which developed in healthcare workers
  • Number of cases in the United States: 73
  • Total number of deaths: 812
  • Case fatality rate: 9.6%
  • Mode of transmission: Droplets produced by coughing, sneezing, talking, or breathing
  • Mean incubation period: 5 days
  • Key symptoms: A cough (dry at first), a fever, and diarrhea in the first or second week of illness, or both
  • At risk groups: People with underlying medical conditions
  • Treatment: No specific treatment
  • Vaccine: No vaccine

MERS summary:

• Pathogen: MERS-CoV
  • Total number of cases: 2,519
  • Number of cases in the U.S.: 2
  • Total number of deaths: 866
  • Case fatality rate: 34.3%
  • Mode of transmission: Droplets from person to person, unclear from camels to humans
  • Key symptoms: A fever, a cough, shortness of breath
  • At risk groups: Men above the age of 60, particularly those with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and kidney failure
  • Treatment: No specific treatment
  • Vaccine: No vaccine

COVID-19 summary, as of April 9, 2020:

• Pathogen: SARS-CoV-2
  • Total number of cases: 1,490,790
  • Number of cases in the U.S.: 432,438
  • Total number of deaths: 88,982
  • Case fatality rate: 1.38% to 3.4%
  • Mode of transmission: Droplets produced by coughing, sneezing, or talking, limited evidence of other routes
  • Mean incubation period: 5 days
  • Key symptoms: A fever, a dry cough, shortness of breath
  • At risk groups: Adults aged 65 and over, and people of all ages with underlying medical conditions
  • Treatment: No specific treatment, although several candidate drugs are undergoing testing
  • Vaccine: No vaccine, although several candidate vaccines are in development

Edited by Porky55

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Maybe instead of the Star Princess which is supposed to move over in 2021.  Golden will probably just go to Singapore and then will be ready when sailing resumes as Pacific Adventure.

Today I heard about a young Queensland man who has been in Mexico. Before leaving there he spent three weeks in quarantine, then on arrival in Sydney, he spent another two weeks. It was too difficult to get a flight from Sydney to Brisbane so he is travelling by train but the train isn't allowed to cross the border. His parents have passes to drive across into NSW to pick up their son and return to Queensland, where he will have to undergo another 14 days' quarantine - a total of seven weeks.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:03 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Today I heard about a young Queensland man who has been in Mexico. Before leaving there he spent three weeks in quarantine, then on arrival in Sydney, he spent another two weeks. It was too difficult to get a flight from Sydney to Brisbane so he is travelling by train but the train isn't allowed to cross the border. His parents have passes to drive across into NSW to pick up their son and return to Queensland, where he will have to undergo another 14 days' quarantine - a total of seven weeks.

That has to be a record for period in quarantine. No doubt his parents will be happy to have him home.  

On 4/14/2020 at 5:03 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Good news about this young Queensland man. When his parents drove into northern NSW to collect him, they were allowed to cross back into Queensland and he didn't have to go into quarantine again. In a sensible decision, it was decided that the five weeks he has already done were enough.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Good news. I think in some instances, it should be a case by case basis.

The risk is that he was exposed to the virus after being released from Sydney quarantine before getting back to Brisbane. Once a few states decided on this border control then really there's no thought to making an exception 

13 minutes ago, Pushka said:

The risk is that he was exposed to the virus after being released from Sydney quarantine before getting back to Brisbane. Once a few states decided on this border control then really there's no thought to making an exception 

I agree with your comment. I was surprised the man involved was allowed into Queensland without more quarantine. Anyway, all's good.

• Like 1