NSW Social Distancing

Just now, Pushka said:

Hey, I'll take any inkling of hope right now. Let's go with that. Did you get Swine flu? I thought is oldies were protected from that and it was the youngies at risk! Doing the reverse - Maybe you are safe from this covid thing then?

We believe we had the swine flu although we weren't tested for it. Someone we spent time with socially was also sick. He was tested: the result was swine flu. That's why we say that it's likely we had swine flu.

A few days ago I researched whether having a COVID flu previously would give us some immunity, but apparently the protection only lasts for a few months.☹️

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We believe we had the swine flu although we weren't tested for it. Someone we spent time with socially was also sick. He was tested: the result was swine flu. That's why we say that it's likely we had swine flu.

A few days ago I researched whether having a COVID flu previously would give us some immunity, but apparently the protection only lasts for a few months.☹️

I do remember when swine flu was rampant that they did stop testing for it. And assumed that the flu was swine flu. We are all clinging at straws of hope. That will have to do for now. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

You would have had one as a 12 year old. Do you have a little scar on your left upper arm? We had to do a Mantoux test first, which was done in the elbow crease. If that was positive then you'd been exposed to TB. And so had to be checked out at the TB clinic. If it was negative then you had the BCG. I know I had one. 

No, I am not that old or maybe I am but was not in a target group

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I think the BCG vaccination was stopped being given as part of the childhood vaccination program around the mid 1980s as my children didn't have it. Although I think it was continued into the 90s in the NT.

Leigh

And NSW and ACT didn't have it rolled out to all school kids unless they were already in the vulnerable groups (i.e. Indigenous)

25 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

No, I am not that old or maybe I am but was not in a target group

If they stopped in mid '80s that means you are in your thirties or possibly just 40?

Every child in SA was part of the deal. 

Edited by Pushka

43 minutes ago, Pushka said:

If they stopped in mid '80s that means you are in your thirties or possibly just 40?

Every child in SA was part of the deal. 

They didn't do it in NSW schools except for vulnerable groups like the Indigenous population.

BW, I am low 50's

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

And NSW and ACT didn't have it rolled out to all school kids unless they were already in the vulnerable groups (i.e. Indigenous)

I wonder why NSW and ACT didn’t have it as part of the vaccination program? Do you know Mic. I can remember having mine, it hurt! 

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps they should be applauded whenever you feel like it, not just at 8pm.

They set a time so everyone can clap and cheer together like you would in a stadium so the healthcare workers will actually hear it. After all the point is to give them encouragement and let them know their work is appreciated so one person clapping would hardly work unless they can some serious sound out of their hands😆

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

They set a time so everyone can clap and cheer together like you would in a stadium so the healthcare workers will actually hear it. After all the point is to give them encouragement and let them know their work is appreciated so one person clapping would hardly work unless they can some serious sound out of their hands😆

It is very moving because everyone comes out of their high rise apartments clapping and cheering.  On the ground, ambulances, police, etc. flash their lights.  Everyone knows  and appreciates how hard the medical profession are working, trying to save lives, the likes of which hasn't been seen in modern times.  

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Only works if you are clapping near one of their houses, I know my neighbours, they are not healthcare workers. I know a few health care workers and I applaud them online.

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I wonder why NSW and ACT didn’t have it as part of the vaccination program? Do you know Mic. I can remember having mine, it hurt! 

I don't know why but it may have something to do with the thoughts at the time.

BCG vaccination is not recommended for general use in the Australian population or for most health care workers (HCWs). BCG vaccination is contraindicated in HIV infected persons. BCG vaccination is recommended for:

1. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander neonates in communities with a high incidence of TB;
  2. Neonates and children 5 years of age and under who will be travelling to or living in countries or areas with a high prevalence of TB for extended periods;
  3. Neonates born to parents with leprosy or a family history of leprosy.

BCG vaccination may be considered in the following:

1. Children over 5 years of age who will be travelling to or living in countries or areas with a high prevalence of TB for extended periods;
  2. HCWs who may be at high risk of exposure to drug resistant TB.

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

BCG vaccination is not recommended for general use in the Australian population or for most health care workers (HCWs). BCG vaccination is contraindicated in HIV infected persons. BCG vaccination is recommended for:

1. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander neonates in communities with a high incidence of TB;
  2. Neonates and children 5 years of age and under who will be travelling to or living in countries or areas with a high prevalence of TB for extended periods;

1. Children over 5 years of age who will be travelling to or living in countries or areas with a high prevalence of TB for extended periods;

That is the current recommendation. We don't know why NSW and ACT didn't go with the vaccination programme for BCG used in all the other states from the 1950s. The programme was discontinued in the mid 1980s (NT 1991) because TB was no longer considered prevalent.

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It does seem strange that the remainder of Australia were given the BCG vaccination as 12 year olds from the early 1950s through to the mid 1980s and NSW and ACT children weren’t. 

I can understand it not being given now though unless it is necessary.

Leigh

I think it was because NSW and the ACT just kept it as a -

vaccination that targeted health care workers, Aboriginal people and close contacts of active cases, especially children. 

rather than rolling it out like the other states did to all children in the 50's, if there were outbreaks, perhaps they would have.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 2:55 PM, Pushka said:

Of course not. That's why the prudent thing I'd expect a Premier or PM to say is - for the foreseeable future. Not specify an actual event, like a vaccine that may never happen and then what?  Then the next day, act like that was never said and then pronounce that there will be a relaxation. We know they are in unchartered waters, anything that she says confirms that. Just say nothing!

I agree totally if our PM or Premier said something like that all the good will and good work that they have done to date would be shot to hell. Our PM was not necessarily the most popular guy before this outbreak but he has done a very good job of uniting Canada in the fight against COVID 19; his favourability has gone way up, which is surprising. Our Premier sits in the barest of minority Governments and his handling of this has helped his ratings as well. Of course in BC, the government has the good fortune of having DR. Bonnie Henry as Provincial health officer. She is calm, confident and articulate. Her briefings are well received and make people want to do the right thing.

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

It is very moving because everyone comes out of their high rise apartments clapping and cheering.  On the ground, ambulances, police, etc. flash their lights.  Everyone knows  and appreciates how hard the medical profession are working, trying to save lives, the likes of which hasn't been seen in modern times.  

They have chosen 7 PM here in British Columbia. There have also been first responder parades at the hospitals. One night there was a march past at a hospital in Vancouver with pipes and drums and several members of the RCMP in their ceremonial red serge uniforms. As well as other police, firefighters and paramedics.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, By The Bay said:

For those hoping for a vaccine, along with me, here is a sobering article from the ABC. For the full article click here.

Is it possible we won't get a COVID-19 vaccine?

Yes, it's possible, Dr Labzin said. Every virus is different and what has worked in the past may not work for the new coronavirus.

"We don't have vaccines against any coronavirus yet," she said.

SARS, MERS and some forms of the common cold are caused by other coronaviruses.

Each Media broadcaster is telling their own story - I want to believe the uplifting story  - Two different stories, but there are lots more and these are the ones I focus on - the positive ones!!!  The vaccine will happen, sooner rather than later 👍

Coronavirus vaccine could be ready by September

Stefan Mitchell
7NEWS

Saturday, 11 April 2020 4:48 pm

And:

• Australian scientists have begun injecting ferrets with two potential vaccines. It is the first comprehensive pre-clinical trial to move to the animal testing stage, and the researchers say they hope to move to the human testing stage by the end of April.
Edited by Porky55

10 hours ago, banzaii said:

has been found to boost the immune system

The main planned use for this has been for Health Care & Front Line Workers I had understood?? If it has any potential it will just be to keep those who AREN'T sick, extra healthy and their immune systems strong.

Edited by Porky55

On 4/10/2020 at 5:04 PM, subaru94 said:

Apparently Carnival Ships are looking at sailing with fewer passengers initially when they come back cruising?

So, how does anyone think a cruise line would achieve this? 
Or that this (less passengers) will never happen - because of earning $$

On 4/10/2020 at 7:04 PM, subaru94 said:

Apparently Carnival Ships are looking at sailing with fewer passengers initially when they come back cruising?

It’s a good theory but in practice it won’t work .

We sailed with HAL just after 9/11 and the ship was only 1/3 full .They operated only 1 restaurant and kept that full .Same withe shows and activities . People will naturally congregate where the action is .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

The vaccine will happen, sooner rather than later 👍

I hope you are right, but this does worry me:

47 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I hope you are right, but this does worry me:

I agree - but on the 1st of January this year we didn’t have vaccines for SARS, MERS or some forms of the common cold and none of us gave it a second thought -  then.

One step at a time, one day at a time, one Coronavirus at a time ............ just saying 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Porky55

On 4/12/2020 at 9:40 AM, Pushka said:

You would have had one as a 12 year old. Do you have a little scar on your left upper arm? We had to do a Mantoux test first, which was done in the elbow crease. If that was positive then you'd been exposed to TB. And so had to be checked out at the TB clinic. If it was negative then you had the BCG. I know I had one. 

When I was young(er) we had mobile x-ray units everywhere.