CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

This is not just p&o tho. 
I’m having the same with virgin and even though I tell them by law it’s 14 days what I get that they are supported by abta/atol and they are. Those companies have basically said yes you are entitled to a refund but you have no timescale. It sucks. When will they realise that this could make a massive difference to someone. Not like you can say to your mortgage company oh sorry I know I’ve used my mortgage holiday but I am just waiting for a few grand for my refund for my holiday. Can you wait 90 days?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and yet there are a few refunds, even on here?  We mustn't forget, only a very few people are on social media.

The way P&O loyalist regulars on here are being treated I would think the 60 day fob off to keep cash flow running is widespread with everyone who has cancelled not just the ones posting on social media.

Yes I agree and it would have been worse I suppose but in normal circumstances most wouldn’t be having to take the mortgage holidays etc and everything else. We all budget what we can afford. 

we definitely do not budget for if your job that should have been safe is at risk for a pandemic. 

we would have laughed if someone had of said this last year. We just wouldn’t have believed we would all be in this position 

17 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes but I suppose if you had gone on the cruise, then you would not be getting that money back, you would have spent it?

We would have loved to go on our Azura TA cruise on March 20 which was cancelled on March 13.in our Aft balcony cabin but

Instead we have had no cruise and 57 days of lies,fob offs etc from P&O and a TA in no hurry to refund our money.

Edited by grapau27

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Yes if you've lost your job that really is a different matter.

luckily we haven’t. Just lost a lot of pay due to furlough. 
but the companies don’t know what’s going on. They don’t know if someone lost their job and the whole house can’t afford things. I would be very annoyed that I couldn’t pay my bills because I hadn’t got a refund. That refund could tide someone over for a month or so. We have 7k floating about. Would rather have it in my bank just in case

• Like 5

Anyone watching BBC News - an article on Carnival and other cruise lines.  The hit on the suppliers of food and drink have furloughed most of their workers.  A couple of them don't see cruising coming back before October at the very earliest.

David Dingle on now talking about if there was to be quarantine when you got back.  Heaven forbid!!

Edited by jeanlyon

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Anyone watching BBC News - an article on Carnival and other cruise lines.  The hit on the suppliers of food and drink have furloughed most of their workers.  A couple of them don't see cruising coming back before October at the very earliest.

David Dingle on now talking about if there was to be quarantine when you got back.  Heaven forbid!!

The cruise industry is important for so many people through our the world in terms of employment.  We tend to forget about the suppliers and the shore side staff.  I will not be considering cruising this year even if it restarts.  I can't imagine that working people will think twice about any holiday outside the UK if they have to isolate for 14 days when they get back as they will have to use up 2weeks of holiday entitlement for the quarantine.

We have done a round Britain cruise with Princess in the past which was interesting but I am not sure whether you would still have to isolate because of the number of foreign crew members that you may come into contact with who may have just boarded themselves.

Edited by Josy1953

13 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The cruise industry is important for so many people through our the world in terms of employment.  We tend to forget about the suppliers and the shore side staff.  I will not be considering cruising this year even if it restarts.  I can't imagine that working people will think twice about any holiday outside the UK if they have to isolate for 14 days when they get back as they will have to use up 2weeks of holiday entitlement for the quarantine.

We have done a round Britain cruise with Princess in the past which was interesting but I am not sure whether you would still have to isolate because of the number of foreign crew members that you may come into contact with who may have just boarded themselves.

We feel exactly the same.  Also, we thought of a Round Britain but it normally goes into Ireland, so would that be foreign?  Just seen that Ireland would be exempt, so that's OK.

I can't understand why the Government is doing this now, after letting in probably loads of infected people since March.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

We feel exactly the same.  Also, we thought of a Round Britain but it normally goes into Ireland, so would that be foreign?

I can't understand why the Government is doing this now, after letting in probably loads of infected people since March.

If they decide to do the Round Britain and you are comfortable about going on a ship I would definitely recommend it.  We have often said that we would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Josy, just looked and the main problem is that on Arcadia and Aurora the only one is late July/Aug next year and that is our busiest time at the office, so wouldn't be allowed.  Might be doing a car holiday in the UK.

Just for interest Cunard made the following statement to somebody who had stated that refund payable in 14 days was UK law-  " ABTA have released a statement to suggest that many businesses in travel will not be able to comply with the 14 day turnaround as it is not realistic, this guidance was made during different times".                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Just for interest Cunard made the following statement to somebody who had stated that refund payable in 14 days was UK law-  " ABTA have released a statement to suggest that many businesses in travel will not be able to comply with the 14 day turnaround as it is not realistic, this guidance was made during different times".                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Which is hog wash. The law (not guidance) is still in place, they are just ignoring it.

• Like 4

From abta website

If you booked a package holiday, you are entitled to a refund. We completely understand that for those customers that would prefer a refund to rebooking, they may feel frustrated and concerned by the amount of time it is taking. In normal circumstances a refund should be paid within 14 days. But these are not normal circumstances and the 14 day rule is simply impossible for many companies to adhere to.  

If you have travel insurance you might find it quicker to apply for a refund under your policy. Your travel company will be able to assist you with the paperwork for this.

30 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

From abta website

If you booked a package holiday, you are entitled to a refund. We completely understand that for those customers that would prefer a refund to rebooking, they may feel frustrated and concerned by the amount of time it is taking. In normal circumstances a refund should be paid within 14 days. But these are not normal circumstances and the 14 day rule is simply impossible for many companies to adhere to.  

If you have travel insurance you might find it quicker to apply for a refund under your policy. Your travel company will be able to assist you with the paperwork for this.

And my travel insurance assured me that if P&O had  cancelled the cruise, then insurance didn't come into it.  It was up to P&O to refund me.

• Like 1

Abta should be taken to task for saying that by the insurance companies seems to me that it is false information according to what my insurance company says as well . You should in the first instance contact your travel firm and then your credit card company 

• Like 1

Yes makes total sense to me.  The insurance shouldn't be paying for the fact that the cruise company cancelled the cruise and if they would, why would P&O be bothering with all this refund stuff.

the Insurance company only pays if you cancel your cruise due to family bereavement, illness etc.

• Like 1