Cruise Lines Begin Developing Future Protocols

boze9999

1 hour ago, ljones said:

VMax - I didn't mean to imply that everyone who coughs or sneezes is ill but rather that some may be and why not check for fever at the least.  I actually have coughing attacks, related to nothing I can identify & people think I am close to death as I also may gasp for air!  My main point was, if airlines and cruiselines would make it less a financial loss, people who are sick & know it, would hopefully be more likely to cancel & rebook...  

I know you didn't!

Just saying that because someone coughs doesn't mean they are ill.  Someone sweating a lot doesn't mean they are ill either. You should see me when I arrive into Florida! Actually, you don't want to see me.🤧

Agree. And we are just about at that age.

Why on earth should, in the event of an issue, the cruise line be stuck with people who cannot fly for one reason or another or who are miles and hours away from specialized medical assistance that they may require.  Let alone those who are ill and then misrepresent their illness on the pre board questionaire.   

The cruise lines cannot count on people using common sense and potentially placing themselves in harms way.  Then blaming the cruise line instead of themselves.  You cannot fix stupid.

Edited by iancal

Health questionnaires and temp monitoring might have worked for SARS, but it won't work for CoV2.  COVID is  contagious likely 1-2 days before symptoms appear.  Plus at least some asymptomatic people appear to be contagious as well.  I doubt it will go forward like that.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, panoramaofthepast said:

So if I am over 70 and in good health because my blood pressure, cholesterol and or diabetes are  controlled by medication [which I bring with me!], does that mean I will not be able to cruise in the future?  

If this proves to be true, since I fall in this category myself. I would like my FCC back as cash!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, panoramaofthepast said:

So if I am over 70 and in good health because my blood pressure, cholesterol and or diabetes are  controlled by medication [which I bring with me!], does that mean I will not be able to cruise in the future?  

The answer to that, is that we don't know at this point. I sure hope not as if that is so, then in a few years our cruising life will be over. 

I agree with KirkNC that over the years I've seen some people that I don't think should be cruising, but again, thats their personal choice and I just hope that they are aware of the risks they are taking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

The answer to that, is that we don't know at this point. I sure hope not as if that is so, then in a few years our cruising life will be over. 

I agree with KirkNC that over the years I've seen some people that I don't think should be cruising, but again, thats their personal choice and I just hope that they are aware of the risks they are taking. 

Some more than others, but every cruise has passengers who are obviously elderly and frail enough they shouldn't be at sea far from good medical care.  Only two explanations, either:

1.  The aren't aware

2.  They don't care

The cruise lines have been happy to take their money, but it appears that may be changing.

Edited by bouhunter

1 hour ago, panoramaofthepast said:

Even without the restriction enforced by the line, I think you should consider for yourself too.

According to CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/groups-at-higher-risk.html

Not sure about blood pressure / cholesterol, but diabetes is definitely a concern. If god forbid you did get infected onboard, you have a much higher risk to become serious ill. There is just so many space in medical center onboard.

Again, I think this is mainly to manage the risk from cruise line's perspective.

On 4/7/2020 at 12:06 PM, Fredric22 said:

It will be interesting to see if mandatory, rapid COVID-19 testing is implemented as part of the pre-screening measures.  The technology is moving at such a fast pace, I think it is reasonable that within a few months there will be the capability to do this.  To me, that is perhaps the most safe and reassuring way to move forward.  Of course, that does not completely eliminate the risk of someone eventually becoming ill with the virus, but it should substantially cut the chances of it happening. 

I agree.  Could save a lot of problems, but I wonder about the effectiveness.  Mainly because I think the Diamond Princess ended up in quarantine because one of the passengers visited a port of call in China, so an embarkation Abbott test wouldn't have worked in that case.

On 4/7/2020 at 4:47 AM, boze9999 said:

Recognizing this is another cruise line's new protocol, I found it very thorough and perhaps a view into the future of safer cruising for other cruise lines, including HAL. I for one am looking forward to getting back on a Dam ship!

Genting Cruise Lines has announced a new comprehensive onboard health plan for its Star Cruises and Dream Cruises brands,.

“At Genting Cruise Lines, the safety and health of our guests and crew are of paramount importance to us," said Kent Zhu, President of Genting Cruise Lines. “As a responsible cruise company, it is our duty to adopt a pro-active approach to meet and also strive to exceed the growing expectations and concerns of the public. As such, we have carefully reviewed our prevention and response plan with the COVID-19 pandemic in mind to devise and provide enhanced and comprehensive measures across our fleet."

“The public will be pleased to know for instance, Dream Cruises’ latest new build design allows for 100% external fresh air to be filtered and supplied to each passenger and crew cabin, as well as onboard public areas. There is no re-circulation of air between cabins or within the ship– ensuring a constant and healthy flow of fresh air throughout the vessel. Besides that, isolated wards are available in the Medical Centre and cabins can be converted into quarantine rooms if required.”

Genting Cruise Lines will also further collaborate with the China Cruise & Yacht Industry Association (CCYIA) to contribute to the publishing of a white paper for the cruise industry’s prevention and response plan against COVID-19, providing a comprehensive and unified standard for the cruise industry to ensure the safety and well-being of all cruising guests and crew, the company said.

A further vote of confidence was also provided by the Asia Cruise Terminal Association which has endorsed Genting's initiative and has pledged to support these procedures throughout its member ports located across the region including in Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Vietnam.

Preventative Measures:

I. Embarkation and Disembarkation

• Mandatory temperature screening and pre-boarding health declarations for all guests.
  • Infrared fever screening system at the ship gangway.
  • Higher frequency with increased levels of sanitization and disinfection at the ship gangway and passenger walkways.
  • Stringent checks for all embarking individuals including crew travel documents; guests aged 70 years and above to provide a doctor’s certificate of fitness for travel.
  • Online check-in for guests to receive designated arrival time at the cruise terminal to minimize crowd congestion.
  • Additional waiting areas for cruise boarding & disembarkation (with staggered times).
  • Compliance with all local port and health authorities’ regulations.

II. Guest accommodations

• Higher frequency with increased levels of sanitization and disinfection in guest cabins with hospital grade disinfectants, including:
    • Twice daily wipe-down of guest cabins.
    • Fogging of vacant guest cabins.
    • Twice daily wipe-down and fogging of guest cabin alleys.
  • Clean and disinfect guest bathrooms with heavy-duty alkaline bathroom cleaner and disinfectant.
  • Timely removal of food items from cabins to prevent spoilage and cultivation of microorganisms and bacteria.
  • Timely housekeeping cabin turnover; bedsheets and linens professionally cleaned and disinfected at high temperatures
  • Injection of diluted cleaning solution into drains to avoid clogged pipes and to prevent bacterial growth.
  • In case of sickness, thorough cleaning and disinfection with hospital grade disinfectant or steam sterilization.

III. Common Public Areas

• All public areas on board will undergo a two-tier sanitization process with thorough cleansing, fogging and wiping using hospital grade disinfectant. Onboard venues and cleaning. .Frequency:
    • Elevators: Every 2 hours
    • Public areas and facilities: 2 – 10 times daily
    • Spa and amenities: Min 2 times daily
    • Other Public Areas: To adjust disinfection frequency accordingly
  • Common public areas sanitized from 1-4 times daily and frequent touchpoints (handrails, lift buttons, table-tops, door handles etc.) sterilized every hour or less.
  • Frequent usage of heavy-duty neutral PH floor-cleaning agent to disinfect all floor areas of the ship.
  • Sanitizer dispensers available at various public areas and crew members stationed at key onboard venues to provide hand sanitation.

IV. Food Hygiene Practices & Standards

• F&B restaurants / bar areas, including galleys, will be cleaned and sanitized 3 times daily, during and after service.
  • Guests are encouraged to wash hands before entry and use sanitizer dispensers available at F&B outlet entrances/exits.
  • Guest seating will ensure ample spacing; disposable cutlery will be provided, upon request.
  • Self-service at F&B buffet restaurants will be suspended. All food & beverages will be served to guests by crew members wearing face masks & disposable gloves.
  • Culinary use of wild animals and related products are strictly prohibited.
  • Stringent procurement guidelines will be enforced and product sourcing from highly affected regions will be strictly prohibited.

V. Entertainment and Recreational Activities

• Theatres will be sanitized before and after each show; 3D glasses disinfected before and after guest usage (if applicable).
  • Cleaning and disinfection of all toys, games and Kids’ Club facilities twice daily and/or after every use.
  • All duty-free shops and entertainment venues will be disinfected twice daily before and after service.
  • All recreational equipment will be disinfected every 2 hours before guest usage.
  • Guests capacity will be limited to half the venue capacity to provide ample space between guests.
  • Sanitizer dispensers will be readily available at various venues including entertainment venue entrances/exits.
  • Tour coaches will be limited to half capacity & sanitized frequently; training for tour operators based on guidance from the WHO.
  • Spa & Gym facilities will be sanitized prior to and after usage by guests.

VI. Fresh Air Ventilation Systems

• 100% external fresh air is filtered and supplied to cabins and onboard public areas.
  • Air filters and cooling coils thoroughly checked, cleaned and replaced to ensure healthy air quality.

VII. Medical Centre

• Isolated wards available in the Medical Centre
  • Contaminated items and medical waste will be properly sealed and disposed according to health and safety guidelines.
  • Used face masks and protective equipment disposed at designated central collection points.
  • Medical equipment and waste bins cleaned, disinfected and washed twice daily with hospital grade disinfectant.

VIII. Crew Members Practices & Standards

• Twice daily temperature checks.
  • All Frontline crew are required to wear face masks.
  • Housekeeping and F&B crew required to wear disposable gloves.
  • Designated crew may also wear protective garments and eye protection if required.
  • All crew to use anti-bacterial hand soap for at least 20 sec to sanitize hands.
  • Medical Centre Isolation Area staff related to suspected cases are required to:
    • wear adequate personal protection (face mask, eye protection, disposable gloves & disposal outer garment.
    • follow proper hand washing practices before and after work duty.
    • update personal health information daily.
  • Provide Training Workshops and pertinent information on health and safety preventive measures.
  • Reduction of crew movement. 

IMHO, these policies were written by someone who works in the office and has not been on many cruises.  These policies are ambitious, but not based in reality.  Some of them are workable, but IMHO, this is a knee jerk reaction. 

Why, once the pandemic is over, a cure is found and a vaccine is available, should housekeeping be required to wear face masks and disposable outer garments?  That is just one example.  

Yes, there are some good items on this list of changes, but then again, I believe many will be omitted prior to Genting's final approach back into the cruising business.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:47 AM, boze9999 said:

Recognizing this is another cruise line's new protocol, I found it very thorough and perhaps a view into the future of safer cruising for other cruise lines, including HAL. I for one am looking forward to getting back on a Dam ship!

Genting Cruise Lines has announced a new comprehensive onboard health plan for its Star Cruises and Dream Cruises brands,.

“At Genting Cruise Lines, the safety and health of our guests and crew are of paramount importance to us," said Kent Zhu, President of Genting Cruise Lines. “As a responsible cruise company, it is our duty to adopt a pro-active approach to meet and also strive to exceed the growing expectations and concerns of the public. As such, we have carefully reviewed our prevention and response plan with the COVID-19 pandemic in mind to devise and provide enhanced and comprehensive measures across our fleet."

“The public will be pleased to know for instance, Dream Cruises’ latest new build design allows for 100% external fresh air to be filtered and supplied to each passenger and crew cabin, as well as onboard public areas. There is no re-circulation of air between cabins or within the ship– ensuring a constant and healthy flow of fresh air throughout the vessel. Besides that, isolated wards are available in the Medical Centre and cabins can be converted into quarantine rooms if required.”

Genting Cruise Lines will also further collaborate with the China Cruise & Yacht Industry Association (CCYIA) to contribute to the publishing of a white paper for the cruise industry’s prevention and response plan against COVID-19, providing a comprehensive and unified standard for the cruise industry to ensure the safety and well-being of all cruising guests and crew, the company said.

A further vote of confidence was also provided by the Asia Cruise Terminal Association which has endorsed Genting's initiative and has pledged to support these procedures throughout its member ports located across the region including in Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Vietnam.

Preventative Measures:

I. Embarkation and Disembarkation

• Mandatory temperature screening and pre-boarding health declarations for all guests.
  • Infrared fever screening system at the ship gangway.
  • Higher frequency with increased levels of sanitization and disinfection at the ship gangway and passenger walkways.
  • Stringent checks for all embarking individuals including crew travel documents; guests aged 70 years and above to provide a doctor’s certificate of fitness for travel.
  • Online check-in for guests to receive designated arrival time at the cruise terminal to minimize crowd congestion.
  • Additional waiting areas for cruise boarding & disembarkation (with staggered times).
  • Compliance with all local port and health authorities’ regulations.

II. Guest accommodations

• Higher frequency with increased levels of sanitization and disinfection in guest cabins with hospital grade disinfectants, including:
    • Twice daily wipe-down of guest cabins.
    • Fogging of vacant guest cabins.
    • Twice daily wipe-down and fogging of guest cabin alleys.
  • Clean and disinfect guest bathrooms with heavy-duty alkaline bathroom cleaner and disinfectant.
  • Timely removal of food items from cabins to prevent spoilage and cultivation of microorganisms and bacteria.
  • Timely housekeeping cabin turnover; bedsheets and linens professionally cleaned and disinfected at high temperatures
  • Injection of diluted cleaning solution into drains to avoid clogged pipes and to prevent bacterial growth.
  • In case of sickness, thorough cleaning and disinfection with hospital grade disinfectant or steam sterilization.

III. Common Public Areas

• All public areas on board will undergo a two-tier sanitization process with thorough cleansing, fogging and wiping using hospital grade disinfectant. Onboard venues and cleaning. .Frequency:
    • Elevators: Every 2 hours
    • Public areas and facilities: 2 – 10 times daily
    • Spa and amenities: Min 2 times daily
    • Other Public Areas: To adjust disinfection frequency accordingly
  • Common public areas sanitized from 1-4 times daily and frequent touchpoints (handrails, lift buttons, table-tops, door handles etc.) sterilized every hour or less.
  • Frequent usage of heavy-duty neutral PH floor-cleaning agent to disinfect all floor areas of the ship.
  • Sanitizer dispensers available at various public areas and crew members stationed at key onboard venues to provide hand sanitation.

IV. Food Hygiene Practices & Standards

• F&B restaurants / bar areas, including galleys, will be cleaned and sanitized 3 times daily, during and after service.
  • Guests are encouraged to wash hands before entry and use sanitizer dispensers available at F&B outlet entrances/exits.
  • Guest seating will ensure ample spacing; disposable cutlery will be provided, upon request.
  • Self-service at F&B buffet restaurants will be suspended. All food & beverages will be served to guests by crew members wearing face masks & disposable gloves.
  • Culinary use of wild animals and related products are strictly prohibited.
  • Stringent procurement guidelines will be enforced and product sourcing from highly affected regions will be strictly prohibited.

V. Entertainment and Recreational Activities

• Theatres will be sanitized before and after each show; 3D glasses disinfected before and after guest usage (if applicable).
  • Cleaning and disinfection of all toys, games and Kids’ Club facilities twice daily and/or after every use.
  • All duty-free shops and entertainment venues will be disinfected twice daily before and after service.
  • All recreational equipment will be disinfected every 2 hours before guest usage.
  • Guests capacity will be limited to half the venue capacity to provide ample space between guests.
  • Sanitizer dispensers will be readily available at various venues including entertainment venue entrances/exits.
  • Tour coaches will be limited to half capacity & sanitized frequently; training for tour operators based on guidance from the WHO.
  • Spa & Gym facilities will be sanitized prior to and after usage by guests.

VI. Fresh Air Ventilation Systems

• 100% external fresh air is filtered and supplied to cabins and onboard public areas.
  • Air filters and cooling coils thoroughly checked, cleaned and replaced to ensure healthy air quality.

VII. Medical Centre

• Isolated wards available in the Medical Centre
  • Contaminated items and medical waste will be properly sealed and disposed according to health and safety guidelines.
  • Used face masks and protective equipment disposed at designated central collection points.
  • Medical equipment and waste bins cleaned, disinfected and washed twice daily with hospital grade disinfectant.

VIII. Crew Members Practices & Standards

• Twice daily temperature checks.
  • All Frontline crew are required to wear face masks.
  • Housekeeping and F&B crew required to wear disposable gloves.
  • Designated crew may also wear protective garments and eye protection if required.
  • All crew to use anti-bacterial hand soap for at least 20 sec to sanitize hands.
  • Medical Centre Isolation Area staff related to suspected cases are required to:
    • wear adequate personal protection (face mask, eye protection, disposable gloves & disposal outer garment.
    • follow proper hand washing practices before and after work duty.
    • update personal health information daily.
  • Provide Training Workshops and pertinent information on health and safety preventive measures.
  • Reduction of crew movement. 

Great marketing blurb,

Sadily if anyone noticed every bar/restaurant, sports venue, private gathering for wedding/funeral, church worship is closed.   They could equally put up signs like this, sorry they will still be closed. 

Nice thought, but till all the above listed get to any thing of normalacy wont' matter.

BTW for a sports gathering, plane ride, bar or even church gathering you get together for a few hours, if something happens or doesn't you get to go home.  On most cruises you are together on a closed loop with thousands of people some who have traveled thru multiple airports and far away land and you are locked together for days to weeks.   You are in NO MANs land, and frankly anywhere you want to land they can and do turn you away, very different set of conditions that you need to contend with.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Great marketing blurb,

Sadily if anyone noticed every bar/restaurant, sports venue, private gathering for wedding/funeral, church worship is closed.   They could equally put up signs like this, sorry they will still be closed. 

Yup...

Here's a partial quote from what I just wrote in a thread I started, that touches on what you folks are discussing>>

I spent most of the morning reading several statements by medical people (from various news sites) that their biggest fear is relaxing the strict measures too soon. They all agree it would negate everything that has been accomplished so far. Numerous new studies & historical data from the 1918 flu seems to support this.

All indicated the only way to go is via a gradual loosening of restrictions. To me little mind, that seems to say that places like airplanes & cruise ships would be the last places to be allowed to return to near normalcy.

Edited by InDaPast
underlined

I am 70 and my husband is 71 and we are both in good health. I resent the 70 years and older having to bring a good health certificate from our doctors. I find it bigoted against senior citizens. If they do it for one age group they need to do it for everyone boarding the ship.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

I am 70 and my husband is 71 and we are both in good health. I resent the 70 years and older having to bring a good health certificate from our doctors. I find it bigoted against senior citizens. If they do it for one age group they need to do it for everyone boarding the ship.

I agree with you. Not a question of age but of condition. Any attest or certificate is just for the moment it is given. Within minutes after that one can have a heart attack or worse. So it never is a guarantee for the next days, weeks or month.

Apart from that I know for e.g. in The Netherlands my (and other) doctor will not give this certificate as it is against the privacy law.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

This is true, a good idea for everyone to have to present some sort of health certificate to weed out those who could be impacted very seriously if infected by COVID-19. 

Consider that this can benefit YOU, as well as the cruise line, the crew, your fellow pax.

1 hour ago, InDaPast said:

Yup...

Here's a partial quote from what I just wrote in a thread I started, that touches on what you folks are discussing>>

I spent most of the morning reading several statements by medical people (from various news sites) that their biggest fear is relaxing the strict measures too soon. They all agree it would negate everything that has been accomplished so far. Numerous new studies & historical data from the 1918 flu seems to support this.

All indicated the only way to go is via a gradual loosening of restrictions. To me little mind, that seems to say that places like airplanes & cruise ships would be the last places to be allowed to return to near normalcy.

It will be a matter of loosening restrictions and gradually opening different businesses, but at the same time tightening rules on those businesses.  For example one might open barber shops and salons, but restrict the number of people in based upon sq feet, and require protective equipment.  Offices might open but require specific spacing, cleaning, etc. A matter of opening business by business, while still requiring social distancing. Restaurants might re-open with different spacing rules, protective gear on waiters, and other sanitary rules.

For the past few years airlines have been packing more and more passengers in a finite area to increase their revenue.  Perhaps that will change and flying will become more pleasant again as a consequence of covid-19.

Re: Age restrictions.  I was in Africa recently & there was a "Game Walk".  They had an age limit to participate of 55 (better to outrun a lion??)  Another guest at the camp was a 65 yr old marathon runner, in better condition than my 40 yr old son.  Yet he would not be allowed without a Drs letter of "fitness"...  It is an arbitrary limitation.  And since cruising is more popular (esp longer, more expensive cruises) among those retired, it seems the cruiselines would be further financially impacted.  

And regarding people of very advanced ages - perhaps with walkers or wheelchairs - they might simply enjoy being on the ocean.  However, if it is ever necessary to board a lifeboat, what then?  

For the past few years airlines have been packing more and more passengers in a finite area to increase their revenue.  Perhaps that will change and flying will become more pleasant again as a consequence of covid-19.

Delta has just announced their new (current) policy of not selling any middle seats. Groups or families who wish to sit together can contact Delta ahead of time for coordinating seating. 

Edited by boze9999

4 hours ago, npcl said:

Would rather see the money spent on spreading out the crew quarters.

You are right.  I saw several reports where the number of crew members with the virus far outnumbered guests (as they are generally 4 to a cabin) & were primarily those in housekeeping positions.

On 4/7/2020 at 1:41 PM, Vict0riann said:

I agree.  It will be difficult to get a doctor's certificate, anyway.  Maybe something like a certificate that vaccinations are up to date would be possible.

What about b2b travellers. How long could such a certificate be good for.

that is what I thought of right away.

brockmom

• Like 1

Not impressed with the listed that was originally posted. Check the passengers better  & clean more often .... ok, but overall "meh." Doesn't change much.

The real changes are going to have to be big and ... wait for it ... expensive:

- Less density onboard (and yes, fewer passengers will push prices higher),

- Much better medical staff and facilities onboard,

- Consistent and fearless enforcement of health rules (so the waiter who sees Passenger X from the Owners Suite passing the Purell station outside the MDR can enforce the rule - with zero fear of retribution from the passenger or from the MDR management),

- Much better contingency arrangements for emergency dockings and disembarkations at every point along the route of each itinerary (signed off by all of the local governments and regulators, with a prepayment pool posted by the cruise lines),

- Genuine transparency in all of this. That means the cruise lines' usual love of secrecy has to go overboard.

Edited by EscapeFromConnecticut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

With the number of people on their planes they could remove every other row and every other sea and still have plenty of seats.

5 hours ago, panoramaofthepast said:

At least 50% of the people over 70 are type II diabetic,  have blood pressure issues, as well as elevated cholesterol.  All of which are controlling by medications, but for a Covid 19 type of virus are in a higher risk category.  I and my wife fall into that category.  Cruise lines must take appropriate cautions in limiting at risk passengers according to the risk at hand.  In other words, the policy must be subject to common sense.  Likewise, we would hope that passengers would use common sense before boarding a cruise ship and consider their health and ability to withstand a shipboard virus.

I heard of something called 'biological age' which is your body condition converted to an age based on behaviors, physical health, etc.    Someone who is 40, overweight, smokes, and lives on brat's and beer's would most likely not have a biological age of 40.   Someone at 70 who has been active and taken care of themselves may have a biological age of 55.    It's a bit deceptive to think that everyone over 70 is vulnerable.......and the issue of virus's is just that--an issue with that disease.     Either way, I have no desire to share any of my health history in order to take a vacation...........I make decisions and contingencies whenever I travel and decide if my plans meet my needs.      Perhaps the cruise line can just get rid of having a medical office, Dr and staff,  and say........you cruise.....you deal with whatever happens!!  Good Luck!