No Sail Order extended - 100 days

Pushka

On 6/10/2020 at 3:24 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

Here's an idea. It works for me. It's evident that some have been locked up and/or prevented from going out for way too long and they therefore come here for their bit of "fun". You can spot them a mile off. Put them on ignore (go to your user settings here and go to ignored users and add them) and don't bother responding. They'll get bored if nobody rises to the bait. 

Phil 

Good advice!  We do not use it often but sometimes  it is needed to follow a thread and avoid the " teasers" or attention seekers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

I am really surprised we haven’t heard anything from the CDC is almost 3 months.

Given the recent sharp escalation in cases, I see no reason why the CDC would revise its current stance. I believe that we will see another extension of the "no sail" order.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Given the recent sharp escalation in cases, I see no reason why the CDC would revise its current stance. I believe that we will see another extension of the "no sail" order.

I agree...the million dollar question is for how much longer. 

I had high hopes for Nov/Dec cruises up until about a week ago 😕

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

I had high hopes for Nov/Dec cruises up until about a week ago 😕

Yep, I agree.  I thought that the cruise lines could develop some policies and procedures that would allow cruising but I really don't see that happening any more.   Given the spread that has been seen coming from the bars, it doesn't look like people are able to social distance and follow the rules.  I don't suspect the cruise ships would be any different if they tried the same approach.  I'm now of the belief that we won't be cruising without a vaccine.  Nov/Dec don't have a chance and I'm now skeptical about my Feb 2021 cruises.  I hope the cruise lines survive.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep, I agree.  I thought that the cruise lines could develop some policies and procedures that would allow cruising but I really don't see that happening any more.   Given the spread that has been seen coming from the bars, it doesn't look like people are able to social distance and follow the rules.  I don't suspect the cruise ships would be any different if they tried the same approach.  I'm now of the belief that we won't be cruising without a vaccine.  Nov/Dec don't have a chance and I'm now skeptical about my Feb 2021 cruises.  I hope the cruise lines survive.

With great frustration and sadness, I agree with you.

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

With great frustration and sadness, I agree with you.

Frustrated  and sad here as well.

I have no hope for our October sailing and to be honest I am becoming extremely skeptical of out TA sailing in April.

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm now of the belief that we won't be cruising without a vaccine.  Nov/Dec don't have a chance and I'm now skeptical about my Feb 2021 cruises.

We came to the same conclusion a few weeks ago and did an L&S with a March 2021 cruise. While some might have viewed us as overly cautious at the time, recent developments only serve to confirm our decision.  

Unfortunately though a public vaccine is still a long long way off yet - despite what politics and press would have us believe -- I seriously wonder if the industry could survive another year..

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

We came to the same conclusion a few weeks ago and did an L&S with a March 2021 cruise. While some might have viewed us as overly cautious at the time, recent developments only serve to confirm our decision.  

We have still to make our mind up for our February Asia cruise, it looks just about sold out with the following cruise also well booked. I have no idea if that’s new bookings or people using FCC, quite surprised how busy it is to be honest. We will need to make a decision though as we need to look at our Annual leave for next year.

8 minutes ago, yorky said:

We have still to make our mind up for our February Asia cruise, it looks just about sold out with the following cruise also well booked. I have no idea if that’s new bookings or people using FCC, quite surprised how busy it is to be honest. We will need to make a decision though as we need to look at our Annual leave for next year.

I don't envy you your decision, particularly with the flights involved on top of the cruise itself. Ours was a Caribbean cruise with simple return flights to and from Fort Lauderdale that hadn't even been booked. As Glaswegians, your flight arrangements for an Asian cruise must be a great deal more complex. 

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I don't envy you your decision, particularly with the flights involved on top of the cruise itself. Ours was a Caribbean cruise with simple return flights to and from Fort Lauderdale that hadn't even been booked. As Glaswegians, your flight arrangements for an Asian cruise must be a great deal more complex. 

We would be Emirates flying from Glasgow via Dubai to Hong Kong then back from Singapore, thankfully we had not booked flights. It’s a tough one with a possible second wave and no idea what restrictions would be in place when on ship. The Celebrity rep has replied to my email stating he can easily move us to Feb 13th 2022. One day difference with the same ports of call and just a change of ship from the Millenium to the Solstice. An extra issue for us is the hotel after the cruise. We are going to stay at Raffles Singapore for 4 nights and that needs to be booked in advance and paid in full, as you can imagine it’s not cheap.

2 minutes ago, yorky said:

We would be Emirates flying from Glasgow via Dubai to Hong Kong then back from Singapore, thankfully we had not booked flights. It’s a tough one with a possible second wave and no idea what restrictions would be in place when on ship. The Celebrity rep has replied to my email stating he can easily move us to Feb 13th 2022. One day difference with the same ports of call and just a change of ship from the Millenium to the Solstice. An extra issue for us is the hotel after the cruise. We are going to stay at Raffles Singapore for 4 nights and that needs to be booked in advance and paid in full, as you can imagine it’s not cheap.

Whatever you decide, I do hope that it works out for you and that you have a wonderful cruise.

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You nailed it.

It is obvious that a certain percentage of Americans have absolutely zero intention of following any mandates that may be prescribed.

Refuse to wear masks.  Refuse to socially distance.  Insist on congregating in venues like bars with literally no regard for themselves or others with whom they may have contact.

And anyone who thinks that these attitudes will suddenly morph into something resembling common sense and common decency as soon as they walk up the gangway is living in a world far, far removed from reality.

• Like 2

The CDC is holding the paperwork the cruise lines submitted and saying it will take 3 to 6 months to review it. Another entrenched bureaucracy a its finest.

source

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/06/26/the-cdc-needs-more-crowns-and-fewer-anchors-john-phillips/

Nice try but that is an opinion piece (clearly labeled as opinion in the paper) not a news article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Nice try but that is an opinion piece (clearly labeled as opinion in the paper) not a news article.

So it's a lie that that they're holding up the paperwork? Come on

Edited by pumpkin 11

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

And the talk show host who wrote it gives no detail.

Where is the plan that the cruise lines supposedly submitted?  The CLIA give no indication they have submitted such a proposal. 

Where is a link to the CDC response that it will take "3-6 months?"  No citation of that whatsoever.

And who does this talk show host quote for all his "information?"  A Wall Street Analyst.  Who has a 56% success rate (slightly better than coin flip) with the cruise line and gambling stocks he largely covers.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:30 AM, ighten said:

Unfortunately though a public vaccine is still a long long way off yet - despite what politics and press would have us believe -- I seriously wonder if the industry could survive another year..

why do you say that? the results in the field at every step have been pretty promising and multiple vaccine candidate are chugging along nicely.  All the experts are saying that it should be technically feasible for COVID.

If the spike protein mutates, it's not a big deal with the main current vaccine candidates, won't take long at all to make another one.  a few a year is completely feasible, especially with the astrazeneca and china ones.

If it requires more than one shot, then it'll require more than one shot, don't see why everyone sees this as a flaw...

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

why do you say that? the results in the field at every step have been pretty promising and multiple vaccine candidate are chugging along nicely.  All the experts are saying that it should be technically feasible for COVID.

If the spike protein mutates, it's not a big deal with the main current vaccine candidates, won't take long at all to make another one.  a few a year is completely feasible, especially with the astrazeneca and china ones.

If it requires more than one shot, then it'll require more than one shot, don't see why everyone sees this as a flaw...

Agreed.  There is definitely hope.  At UIC in Chicago they are currently looking for volunteers to join the Phase 3 trial in July for one of the most promising vaccines and they are already ramping up production and making plans in anticipation that it will work as well as it has done in the previous 2 phases.  They are asking that at least 40% of the volunteers be seniors as well.  Phase 3 trials in "normal" times can take a year or more but I suspect they will move this forward faster.   Will that mean it is somewhat more risky?  Perhaps.  But overall considering the virus at hand it may very well be worth a slightly higher risk.

• Like 1