When Will River Cruise Lines Resume Service? [out of date]

Host Jazzbeau

When Will River Cruise Lines Resume Service?

[compilation from Cruise Critic news article, current to May 27]

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206/

NOTE:  this listing is no longer being updated.  For current information, see

the replacement thread here

Amadeus: May 28

AmaWaterways: August 1

American Cruise Lines: June 20 [updated 5-22 per separate CC article]

American Queen Steamboat Company: July 6 [updated 5-27 per separate CC article]

APT: July 1

Arena Travel: July 1 [per Arena website 5-22]

A-ROSA River Cruises: June 15 [updated 5-27]

Avalon Waterways: September 1

Botanica: May 31

Captain Cook Cruises:

• Murray River: July 1
  • Fiji: June 1

CroisiEurope:

• European, Egypt & South Africa voyages: June 16
  • Mekong voyages: August 14 

Crystal River Cruises: July 1

Emerald Waterways/Evergreen Cruises: September 1 [updated 5-13]

Gate1 Travel: July 1

Grand Circle: July 1

Nicko:

• Germany: June 1 [per Nicko website 5-22]
  • rest of Europe: June 15 [per Nicko website 5-22]

Pandaw: July 2020

Riviera Travel: June 1

Scenic: September 1

Tauck: July 16

Teeming River Cruises: July 14

Titan: June 1

Travelmarvel: July 1

TUI River Cruises: November 26

Uniworld: July 1

Vantage Deluxe World Travel: July 12

Victory Cruise Lines: 2021 [updated per CC article 5-27]

Viking River Cruises: June 30

VIVA: June 17 [per VIVA website 5-22]

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Interesting dates when you look at the River Cruise lines..Apr 23 sounds pretty early.  It will be interesting to see if they manage to keep the dates or delay more.

Daisi, I was wondering the same thing.  I live in a conservative state and work in state gov't., and our governor doesn't have us going back to work at our offices until April 27, but even he admits that date may be extended.  If I had a cruise booked with Uniworld that begins on April 23, I don't know that I would be able to even get the flights I would need to get there on April 21 or 22.  Even May 1 may be a stretch.

April dates now sound quite "ambitious", with lock down rules applying for most of the river cruising countries. Even with easing of restrictions, here in Germany as elsewhere the understanding is that a return to normality will be gradual, step by step over several weeks and months. I cannot see a combination of air travel and river cruise, i.e. a boat with more than 100 people "congregating", possible for April and much of May. The companies may resume operations, but I do not think all itineraries they offer will be possible initially. On a personal level, I would not be comfortable travelling like that before July.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar
  • Like 1

I had a Danube River cruise booked for May and cancelled it.  Even if I did feel it would be safe to go, it would be very challenging to get there.  Flights between the US and Europe are extremely limited and will be for some time.  The river cruise lines that are resuming service in April and May have a case of "wishful thinking". 

I had a Danube River cruise booked for May and cancelled it.  Even if I did feel it would be safe to go, it would be very challenging to get there.  Flights between the US and Europe are extremely limited and will be for some time.  The river cruise lines that are resuming service in April and May have a case of "wishful thinking". 

I don’t think they actually expect to start on those dates; rather that is the first date they haven’t yet cancelled. Even companies that cater to locals are probably being overly optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone asked in another thread why the cruise lines keep cancelling a few cruises instead of admitting that they won't be able to cruise until well into the summer?  I can think of two reasons: (1) it's hard to pick a date [although the new CDC order will make that easier for US cruises] and (2) their staffs are already overloaded – each time they cancel another cruise that adds all those passengers to the shoreside workload, so they need to 'flatten the curve' of cancellations.

• Like 1

Part of the question for river cruising is when Air travel between the U.S. and Europe will bee normalized.  Would be difficult to river cruise if we couldn't get a flight back or we were going to be quarantined for two weeks when we came back.  It is a game of chicken.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Part of the question for river cruising is when Air travel between the U.S. and Europe will bee normalized.  Would be difficult to river cruise if we couldn't get a flight back or we were going to be quarantined for two weeks when we came back.  It is a game of chicken.

This is what worries me

We are booked in late September - and am not 100% convinced this will happen.  Sailing is one thing, but, as mentioned above, the flights are a difference issue. 

Good to see at least some companies have recognized the challenges, and have cancelled until July.

Fran

• Like 1

I am not sure what rivers the companies intend to sail, those that want to resume operations in April or the first week in May. Social distancing applies everywhere an article in a German online newspaper pointed out the other day, that also means on any boat or ship on the Rhine in my case. This rules out working in a river cruise ship galley kitchen I should think, and implementing that in a dining room??. Perhaps the Douro works? I do not know how Portugal is doing. But for us Germans sailing on the Douro would entail a 14-day quarantine on return. As of now.

I see in the updated link that Arosa have already changed the date to 23 April, but as I said in my previous post that is "ambitious". Having only postponed by a week they are rather optimistic in my opinion. I am not.

I prefer to heed the worldwide travel warning by our "Auswärtiges Amt", i.e. the foreign office.

notamermaid

On 4/15/2020 at 12:02 AM, franski said:

We are booked in late September - and am not 100% convinced this will happen.  Sailing is one thing, but, as mentioned above, the flights are a difference issue. 

Good to see at least some companies have recognized the challenges, and have cancelled until July.

Fran

We’re booked for October 1st....hoping for the best.