Now for something completely different

Mostly water on the floor and under the machines. Fortunately being a woodworking shop means a ready supply of sawdust to sop up the water. Some material that was standing on the floor has water damage but nothing major was ruined. Ironically my work area is dry. Tge pipe is repaired and I will be back to work Thursday morning. 

• Like 3

I hate building floods. 

One Saturday around lunchtime, when I was head of school, I got a phone call from my deputy. Security had contacted her about some flooding in our office area. Didn’t sound much, but just drove to campus to have a look and talk to security. 

Well, it was much. A high pressure water pipe for the fire system had burst. I was on the top floor above a suite of offices, including mine and my deputies, plus some secure storage rooms. A lot of water comes out of those pipes, fortunately a phd student came in to do some research and reported the waterfall.

When I got there, the water was turned off and big fans were in place — and stayed a week or more. I asked about carpet replacement - not happening. When we opened the secure storage, we found severe damage to research and teaching materials. Many tens of thousands of dollars to replace, and a report to our accrediting body. My secure head stuff was in my EA’s office in a different location.

Facilities eventually gave us the all clear to re-occupy. The smell was not pleasant.  I got the Dean in and the head of facilities as I was not allowing my staff in. While they were there I asked if they had moved my filing cabinets, no was the answer. We had someone get a trolley and move one. A wonderous fungi forest was growing on the still very damp carpet.

Weeks and weeks of disruption.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Mostly water on the floor and under the machines. Fortunately being a woodworking shop means a ready supply of sawdust to sop up the water. Some material that was standing on the floor has water damage but nothing major was ruined. Ironically my work area is dry. Tge pipe is repaired and I will be back to work Thursday morning. 

While on the topic of water. Did you catch any news of the Sydney/Hobart yacht race starting on Boxing Day?

Record was smashed by a super maxi yacht Commanche - 36hrs for 1170klm.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

While on the topic of water. Did you catch any news of the Sydney/Hobart yacht race starting on Boxing Day?

Record was smashed by a super maxi yacht Commanche - 36hrs for 1170klm.

Certainly took line honours, but was just under 3 hours short of its own record.  Smashed the record, but just not this year.  Thrilling start this year.  They all have nerves of steel😬

30 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Certainly took line honours, but was just under 3 hours short of its own record.  Smashed the record, but just not this year.  Thrilling start this year.  They all have nerves of steel😬

You are correct. My mistake. I must have heard it incorrectly.

Coincidently, I have an appointment on Friday with my audiologist to have my new hearing aids adjusted.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 3:05 PM, possum52 said:

Our daughter and son in law sold their house in June and had a 120 day settlement. Son in law was not convinced that settlement would go through as the buyers changed their conveyancer a week or two before the due date but fortunately it all went through without a problem. They were quite on edge as they didn't want to have to go through the selling process all over again particularly as property prices have has gone down. 

I have no experience in property law however, to the best of my knowledge in Australia you cannot back out of the settlement process unless one or other of the parties has failed to meet the agreements of the purchase/sale Agreement.  For example, if the purchase was subject to sale of another property and this failed, or subject to finance which was not achieved, either party may give notice to withdraw at the conclusion of the settlement period.  I can't see how changing agents during the settlement period constitutes a reason for withdrawing.  It may however, be a reason for requesting a longer settlement period which would require the agreement of both parties although it would may be in the interests of either party to refuse and would essentially delay settlement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

I have no experience in property law however, to the best of my knowledge in Australia you cannot back out of the settlement process unless one or other of the parties has failed to meet the agreements of the purchase/sale Agreement.  For example, if the purchase was subject to sale of another property and this failed, or subject to finance which was not achieved, either party may give notice to withdraw at the conclusion of the settlement period.  I can't see how changing agents during the settlement period constitutes a reason for withdrawing.  It may however, be a reason for requesting a longer settlement period which would require the agreement of both parties although it would may be in the interests of either party to refuse and would essentially delay settlement.

Yes, because the other party changed conveyancer,  my daughter and son in law, their agent and conveyancer were concerned that they didn't have their finances finalised. Daughter and son in law's conveyancer thought it unusual that a buyer would change theirs so close to settlement. It was also a longer than usual settlement period at the request of the other party. It was also a very jittery time for those selling houses with interest rates rising quickly. Although if the sale fell through the other party would have lost their deposit. 

16 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes, because the other party changed conveyancer,  my daughter and son in law, their agent and conveyancer were concerned that they didn't have their finances finalised. Daughter and son in law's conveyancer thought it unusual that a buyer would change theirs so close to settlement. It was also a longer than usual settlement period at the request of the other party. It was also a very jittery time for those selling houses with interest rates rising quickly. Although if the sale fell through the other party would have lost their deposit. 

It must have been a very worrying time for you and your family, Leigh.  I'm glad it went well in the end.  Happy New Year to you and yours, Dee x

37 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

It must have been a very worrying time for you and your family, Leigh.  I'm glad it went well in the end.  Happy New Year to you and yours, Dee x

All good now thanks Dee! Happy New Year to you too.

Pax on flights, China to Australia must have negative covid test before boarding aircraft. Effective 5 January. UK, Italy, USA have also implemented the policy.

Apparently  couple of weeks ago two plane loads of Chinese arrived in Italy and half tested positive.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Pax on flights, China to Australia must have negative covid test before boarding aircraft. Effective 5 January. UK, Italy, USA have also implemented the policy.

Apparently  couple of weeks ago two plane loads of Chinese arrived in Italy and half tested positive.

Yes, Italy was first in Europe to implement policy, followed by Spain and Germany, also US.  Milano has been Covid’s gateway to Europe:  international conferences, trade fairs, haute couture fashion central.  The worry for us, of course, is not the Covid we know, but any new emerging variants.  China’s problem is their inferior and ineffective Sinovax vaccine. 

11 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, Italy was first in Europe to implement policy, followed by Spain and Germany, also US.  Milano has been Covid’s gateway to Europe:  international conferences, trade fairs, haute couture fashion central.  The worry for us, of course, is not the Covid we know, but any new emerging variants.  China’s problem is their inferior and ineffective Sinovax vaccine. 

And China is not giving out transparent data to the Western World.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I am somewhat surprised it wasn't implemented as soon as China announced it was opening up.

I suspect medical/health official advice has prompted Albanese to announce this.  In the background, there simmers the hope that our exports will again be accepted, so holding off made us just that little more favoured in China's eyes, resulting in a hoped-for economic and plaudits coup for the Australian government.   Thankfully, cooler heads have prevailed.  Just saying.....

We have also put the pre travel test for travel from China. The restrictions come into effect from January 5th. Talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted. If you are going to make a regulation make it immediate. The only exceptions should be those coming home from overseas, and they need to be tested on arrival and again after 7 days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have also put the pre travel test for travel from China. The restrictions come into effect from January 5th. Talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted. If you are going to make a regulation make it immediate. The only exceptions should be those coming home from overseas, and they need to be tested on arrival and again after 7 days.

You couldn't be more correct, Lyle.  I agree with every word.   Have things warmed up a little in your neck of the woods?

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The timing of the restriction isn't a problem. China is only opening up for overseas travel on 8th January.