Why does MSC get such relatively poor ratings?

ren0312

We decided after research to take an MSC Cruise on Devina in Jan.  From the moment we arrived at the YC Tent in MIA to the lounge, onto the ship to the YC area, to the YC Dining Room, we were dazzled.  A perfect cruise exceeding our expectations.  If not for the current Pandemic we would be on for a b2b2b this summer in Europe.

The food was outstanding, the YC service and attention to detail far surpassed anything we received "lately" on Celebrity.  We will continue to cruise on MSC YC as long as our experience is the same as on our Devina Cruise.

• Like 5

Saw the Divina arriving into port this AM on the webcam, it zoomed in close to the ship's side and let her sail past.

Not a speck of rust to be seen, beautiful condition.

Everyone even the critic's say they are in fantastic condition inside too and immaculately clean.

I love them, but I am a foreigner lol

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

quattrohead, I am curious about the ship in your picture.  Name?

I agree about the spotless condition of the ships.  And I like being a "foreigner" onboard!

I’m going to take a guess.  It looks like the Meridian.  She was the first Celebrity ship.  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I’m going to take a guess.  It looks like the Meridian.  She was the first Celebrity ship.  

That does look like a chandis stripe, but the bow looks elongated for the Meridian. Hard to tell with the pic so small. @quattrohead please come back an let us know.

Dining on my last ship, the Aroma in in the Suite Dining Room, was better than my experience with Seaside Yacht Club.  Perhaps the smaller ships have better food?  This has been my experience with Royal's Majesty of the Seas, BPL's Grand Classica, and the two smaller Disney ships.  It does make sense, smaller numbers of people, make for better dining and service.  Oddly, the Italian food was outstanding on MSC's smallest ship, yet extremely poor on Seaside, including the Yacht Club Dining Room.

Edited by gkbiiii
  • Like 1

We have been on 35+ cruises and MSC Seaside is our new favorite ship.  We have 4 weeks booked on her this summer (hope floats 😁).  Knowing what to expect is helpful, as there are differences from a more American Market cruise.  If you want to see our perspective and why we love it, read here:

Edited by APDMOM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, quattrohead said:

It is the Commodore Caribe1 as it was back then.

I sailed on that ship! I wonder if I have photos somewhere. 

@gkbiiiiinteresting observation about smaller ships having better food. Makes sense. Rhapsody of the seas is the smallest I've sailed in 5 years or so, and I would rank the MDR food as some of the best. I'll need to test this theory :)

2 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Dining on my last ship, the Aroma in in the Suite Dining Room, was better than my experience with Seaside Yacht Club.  Perhaps the smaller ships have better food?  This has been my experience with Royal's Majesty of the Seas, BPL's Grand Classica, and the two smaller Disney ships.  It does make sense, smaller numbers of people, make for better dining and service.  Oddly, the Italian food was outstanding on MSC's smallest ship, yet extremely poor on Seaside, including the Yacht Club Dining Room.

The food in the Armonia Main Dining Room was also excellent (breakfast, lunch and dinner).

My husband and I also commented on the quality of the ingredients used and also realized that the price of the ingredients used was also at a higher per diem rate used on what others think of same tier "budget" lines.

By the way, I think labeling MSC as "budget" strictly based on the price is misleading.

My opinion is that MSC has a much better idea and control of the money that will be available to determine per diem costs for cruises and, therefore, can plan on a set amount of money for the on board experience. 

This may be due to the global  marketing strategy where many of the passengers are on a set package price that doesn't allow fare churning and for those who book independently, having stricter rules about payment and attempts at fare churning by booked passengers.

Because the cash flow is better regulated, MSC can offer a more upscale experience for those who can understand what is being offered.

For those who can't appreciate the MSC onboard atmosphere, the high level of quality in the live performances, the number of cruise staff available for activities (even on port days),  the food items being offered and the professional  service of the crew and staff on board, MSC will continue to get dings from those who prefer lines that are "just like home."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

By the way, I think labeling MSC as "budget" strictly based on the price is misleading.

I definitely consider MSC a value/budget cruise line, but come to this conclusion not strictly based on price. It appears  to me that the business model  relies largely on volume (evidenced by space ratio of new builds) and cost cutting measures in terms of  quality (as evidenced by reviews which consistently identify food and service issues). 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course. For example, you claim that the live performances are of high quality, but in reality MSC uses the same performers each night (little variety and much shorter duration) and the music is canned (a cost cutting measure). I enjoyed the shows, but would not consider them high quality when compared to the true Broadway productions offered on other ships of the same size which cost big bucks to produce (licensing, set design, etc..)

My belief is that the dings  MSC receives are not from people who want a cruise 'just like home', the dings come from people who enter with unrealistic expectations. No one with a logical mindset can argue that if MSC could charge more, they would charge more. Instead, MSC appears to concentrate on offering a VALUE driven product (aka budget). On this tenet, I do believe that MSC has hit the mark and IMO the product is truly one of the best values sailing right now

This site is interesting. They claim the methodology is: 30% expert ranking, 50% traveler ranking, and 20% health ranking. The reviews of MSC when compared to the competition are much more brutal than my personal assessment of MSC as a 'budget' line. https://travel.usnews.com/methodology/#cruise-rankings

Ranked dead last (11 of 11) for cruise lines in the Caribbean

Ranked 7 of 8 for value for the money (I totally disagree with this assessment) 

Ranked 5 of 6 for family cruising

The best showing was for cruising in the Mediterranean where MSC ranked 9 of 14.

Cruisecritic is another great source for comparing cruise lines. In their 2019 report of best cruise lines;  MSC was not even mentioned as a top ten contender in 12 of 13 categories. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm

I realize that MSC has a very loyal following who will argue the data sets (which is fine, as most self-reporting data sets have flaws).  I continue to make the claim that the best experiences come when travelers have realistic expectations and the most accurate way to set realistic expectations is to gather data from a wide variety of sources.  Opinions in the forum are  just that~ one person's opinion (mine included). 

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My belief is that the dings  MSC receives are not from people who want a cruise 'just like home', the dings come from people who enter with unrealistic expectations. No one with a logical mindset can argue that if MSC could charge more, they would charge more. Instead, MSC appears to concentrate on offering a VALUE driven product (aka budget). On this tenet, I do believe that MSC has hit the mark and IMO the product is truly one of the best values sailing right now

I agree. MSC is going after the lower end consumer market much like what Carnival, Walmart and Holiday Inn Express are doing with a lot of success. There is no point trying to be just another 3 to 4 star cruise line when mid market segment is already overcrowded and dominated by other well established cruise lines. Judging from MSC's recent performance, it has definitely gained a solid foothold and clientele base in the N America. I see no reason why MSC would want to deviate from a business model that is working and producing the results it is after.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Judging from MSC's recent performance, it has definitely gained a solid foothold and clientele base in the N America. I see no reason why MSC would want to deviate from a business model that is working and producing the results it is after

Attending the CC Party on MSC Meraviglia in January and listening to CD Gene Young (one of HAL's best CDs that they lost) explain the business model for the North American market told me that MSC wants to have a major foothold in the North American cruise market.  From my perspective, they are achieving that goal.  Was everything "perfect"?  Surely not.  My Grand World Voyage on the Amsterdam was not "perfect".  

I wonder how much of an effect this coronavirus issue is going to have on MSC's presence in North America.  Meraviglia was scheduled to be on her way to Europe at this time.  She's still in North American waters. 

So many unknowns about cruising for the future.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course. For example, you claim that the live performances are of high quality, but in reality MSC uses the same performers each night (little variety and much shorter duration) and the music is canned (a cost cutting measure). I enjoyed the shows, but would not consider them high quality when compared to the true Broadway productions offered on other ships of the same size which cost big bucks to produce (licensing, set design, etc..)

I agree with you about the "big" shows in the theatre. Better and more expensive on some other lines.

For me it's more important that MSC offer live music in the Top Sail Lounge every evening and NCL don't offer that in the Haven. How about other lines?

So for me the entertainment on MSC is better than the entertainment on NCL but I don't know enough to compare it with other lines.   

19 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

and cost cutting measures in terms of  quality (as evidenced by reviews which consistently identify food and service issues). 

I don't think that the food and service issues according to reviews is an evidence of cost cutting. I think that it's more about expectations and what people want. Some people may want American food and gets Italian food.

Some people wants to be asked if everything is okay when they eat dinner but I prefer that they don't ask that all the time which I have experienced on NCL.

Some people complain that they don't see their butler enough but for me a good butler is only visible when I ask for something.

• Like 2

All these rating systems are hard to be trusted. Most of the reviews there are paid reviews and moreover there is even a whole science that is dedicated to a problem of rating. To find a review which is totally fits the model is very hard. Most of the people voting might not even have travelled ever. So I suppose its only the way of competition at work. 

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't think that the food and service issues according to reviews is an evidence of cost cutting. I think that it's more about expectations and what people want. Some people may want American food and gets Italian food.

Some people wants to be asked if everything is okay when they eat dinner but I prefer that they don't ask that all the time which I have experienced on NCL.

Some people complain that they don't see their butler enough but for me a good butler is only visible when I ask for something.

My thoughts too food is very subjective and as a Vegetarian I love MSC food I hated our Carnival cruise full of fried food , burgers  hotdogs mac n cheese , Mexican etc I missed fruit, salads and vegetables in the quantity and quality of MSC  and RCI and NCL although food options better than Carnival not as good for me as MSC

I too hate "in your face" customer service I dont want to be relaxing on my lounger reading my book and being asked every 5 minutes  do I want a drink Ive never had a problem getting a drink with MSC when I wanted one ,  and I hate it when Im chewing my dinner and forever being asked is all ok , again if something wasnt ok I would tell the waiter I wouldnt need asking 

And Cabin stewards Butlers and such like again I dont need to see them just know they have been and are contactable if I need anything, Ive often just left notes for my steward asking or thanking for things. We always converse in the corridor when we see each other. 

Peoples expectations are often the barrier to enjoyment as is lack of research

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

For me it's more important that MSC offer live music in the Top Sail Lounge every evening and NCL don't offer that in the Haven. How about other lines?  

Entertainment, like food, is very personal. You appreciate the live entertainment in topsail. We prefer something a bit more lively.  On our sailing, we had solo violinist a few evenings and a solo pianist on others. The pianist was talented on the ivory, but his voice left much to be desired (for us). We felt that the musicians from our local university were much more talented overall., I've never sailed haven, but I have sailed many other mainstream lines and found the vast choices of entertainment options in the evening much more to our  liking (music hall tribute bands, howl at the moon, Blues clubs, pub piano bars, etc...).  

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

That is a fair point. Food is certainly subjective.  I noticed cost cutting measures in food quality. Example, the prime rib was actually eye of round roast (I asked),  creamed herring was served instead of salmon for morning bagels, the protein at lunch and dinner was often of the cheaper variety (tilapia vs salmon, roasted chicken, ham, etc...) and largely gelatin based desserts which were delicious, but much more cost effective. Nothing earth shattering, just things I noticed.

However; when reviews continuously point to poor meat quality, overcooked pasta, and under-temperature plates; coupled with all the plethora of reviews  that  point to poor service, negative trends emerge. Do you know any other line that forces its wait staff to serve three dining seatings due to space ratios? How can they possibly do that and maintain high service standards?  Certainly  these are issues that many fans this forum either overlook or haven't experienced, but enough people report service and food problems that I think it's safe to assume that if you choose to sail MSC you are more likely to report a negative experience upon return. Data trends.

@sverigecruiser it's also worthy to note that you typically travel in YC (if that is incorrect, my apologies). I do believe that those who sail in YC report better experiences overall.  My personal experience in YC was lovely, but I would classify the experience as luxury lite.  The standards weren't what I would consider 'highest quality' but my only other butler experience has been at land based resorts.  Admittedly, I am in the minority as most rave about YC service. I do believe that YC offers a substantially better value when compared to other 'ship within a ship' concepts. 

Another interesting point which may factor into OP's question about "Why MSC gets poorer ratings?" Here is how main stream cruise ship employees rank their work experience (out of 5 stars). This is also self reporting data, but it's interesting to read the crew perspectives of the company. I think these are relevant only to the extent that I believe a happy crew will deliver better service overall.

RCL = 4.3

Celebrity = 4.1

Carnival = 4.1

Princess = 4.1

Holland = 3.9

NCL = 3.8

MSC = 3.8

Please understand, I am not trying to bash MSC. Certainly many report good experiences, but the reality is that those who sail MSC are more likely to report a bad experience when compared to main stream lines (which related directly to the OP's question). And while I don't agree that the MSC product is overall superior (if it truly was as "high quality" as some claim, they could demand a higher price); and I certainly disagree that the poor reviews are somehow the fault of the MSC cruisers who just aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate the MSC culture; I do  believe that MSC is an excellent choice for those looking to maximize their vacation dollar and look forward to sailing on another MSC ship in the future.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Do you know any other line that forces its wait staff to serve three dining seatings due to space ratios? How can they possibly do that and maintain high service standards?  

NCL with Freestyle dining must be more than three seatings every day. Maybe they have more waiters to compensate for that, do you know? 

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do believe that YC offers a substantially better value when compared to other 'ship within a ship' concepts. 

And while I don't agree that the MSC product is overall superior (if it truly was as "high quality" as some claim, they could demand a higher price)

Since they offer a substantially better value they could demand a higher price!

I think that in most aspects MSC are better than NCL, which are the only lines I can compare, so when NCL cost much more ( at least Haven compared to Yacht Club ) it's very easy for me to choose MSC.