Oceania Big Price Reduction

mozfoz

32 minutes ago, susiesan said:

This is on my invoice. What is so hard to understand? Maybe those of you who only book suites don't use the word "cabin".

Total Price   $ 4,598.00
Total Received   - $ 1,500.00
Final Payment Amt   $ 3,098.00
Final Payment Due   2/20/2021
$300 Shipboard Credit + Prepaid gratuities + $100 Bronze Level SBC and Bottle of wine // Passports 6 mos/Russian Visa + Penalty begins 1 May/Final 21 April

Odd. I did a search through old emails and don't have anything like that. You'd think that within one company invoices wold look the same.

23 hours ago, Paulchili said:

OTOH, UK passengers frequently get the Ultimate O Life (all 3 included) while this is rare in US. Your government gives you a lot more protections in case of cancellations than what we get (none).

Paul - Please explain how UK passengers have "a lot more protections in case of cancellations" (than U.S. cruisers have)?  In the U.S., if the cruise line cancels the cruise, you either get your full cash payment refunded to you or you can choose to have a "voucher" (FCC) issued for the amount (or even more than) you originally paid for the cruise.  What more should "the Government" do - to step in and "meddle" with a commercial contract/transaction between 2 willing (and presumably knowledgeable/intelligent) parties?

In the U.S., if the individual passenger/customer decides to cancel their own cruise (i.e., they decide they no longer want the "product" that they originally purchased) they will get a cash refund from the cruise line, ranging from the full 100% back of their deposit (if cancelled before the "admin fee" period begins - usually about 5-6 months out).  If the customer cancels their purchase a month closer to the sailing date,  they get their deposit refunded to them in cash - less a small admin fee deducted.  As the cruise date become increasingly closer, the customer gets an increasingly diminishing (percentage-wise) portion of their full payment back.  What exactly is "unfair" about that?

Why do you feel that "the government" should step in and impose more "regulation, remedy, and protection?  Must "government" get involved in every single aspect of our privileged lives?  Yes - I consider anyone who can afford to go on an ocean cruise to be "privileged".  We're not talking about making a gallon of milk "affordable" to everyone - this is all about people with lots of disposable income going on a completely discretionary "vacation".

From reading several of your posts over time, my perception is that you really like the  idea of "the government" becoming increasingly involved in every aspect of every individual citizen's life - right down to how much a vacation should "cost" us and what "protections" we need if we decide to take one.  As you might imagine my (alternative) belief is that "the government" in many ways, is already "way too involved" in our private lives.  The more involved "the government" (either local or federal) becomes in regulating our lives - the more things usually get "screwed up", complicated, irrational, and expensive (i.e., a father and his daughter walking in a huge public park by themselves - is now suddenly "illegal").

I say this as a person who "worked" in the federal government for over 38 years and was in a policy/decision making position.  I can personally attest to the fact that myself and my fellow employees were certainly no "smarter" and had no more "gifted insights" into how people should be running  and managing their our own lives, than anyone else was!  But given the authority, "government" will never shy away from the "opportunity" to tell us all "what and how" we should be living our lives - right down to the smallest detail! 

Cruise customers in the UK, who cancel their own booked cruise by their own choice and volition,....get "0 percent" of their deposit back.  They lose it all.  So what exactly are the "lot more protections" that UK passengers/customers receive (from their dear and benevolent government) that we poor under-served and downtrodden Americans don't have? Regards.  

10 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Paul - Please explain how UK passengers have "a lot more protections in case of cancellations" (than U.S. cruisers have)?  In the U.S., if the cruise line cancels the cruise, you either get your full cash payment refunded to you or you can choose to have a "voucher" (FCC) issued for the amount (or even more than) you originally paid for the cruise.  What more should "the Government" do - to step in and "meddle" with a commercial contract/transaction between 2 willing (and presumably knowledgeable/intelligent) parties?

Not Paul but, i'll give you a couple of things I learned about the US by reading the Azamara Board which has many Brits.  You can find these and perhaps more.  

They have to be refunded withing 14 days, called Part 75 or they can sue in small claims court.  A person on there described this as having to send a notification to the debtor before filing suit and this person got his full refund withing a couple of days while others of us are waiting months.

Also there is something I think ABATA or another agency that protects refuns from travel companies who go bankrupt and pays back the cruiser.in full.

39 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Not Paul but, i'll give you a couple of things I learned about the US by reading the Azamara Board which has many Brits.  You can find these and perhaps more.  

They have to be refunded withing 14 days, called Part 75 or they can sue in small claims court.  A person on there described this as having to send a notification to the debtor before filing suit and this person got his full refund withing a couple of days while others of us are waiting months.

Also there is something I think ABATA or another agency that protects refuns from travel companies who go bankrupt and pays back the cruiser.in full.

Thanks for sending, Dave.  Please correct me, if I've got it wrong....but this only applies (being able to go into small claims court) to refunds for a cruise-line-initiated cancellation.  i.e., the particular cruise (ship) simply doesn't leave the pier and whoever might have "shown up" is sent home without going on a cruise. In that case, under UK law, the cruise line must refund all monies paid within 14 days.

But if I've also correctly understood all the past posts from our UK friends....If they themselves decide that they simply have "changed their minds" and no long want to sail on a particular itinerary, or never sail at all again, and they've already paid their initial deposit and even the rest of the full payment...then, they are not entitled under UK law to get any of their previously-paid deposit or other payments (i.e., "cash") back.  Right?

Edited by pingpong1

3 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

But if I've also correctly understood all the past posts from our UK friends....If they themselves decide that they simply have "changed their minds" and no long want to sail on a particular itinerary, or never sail at all again, and they've already paid their initial deposit and even the rest of the full payment...then, they are not entitled under UK law to get any of their previously-paid deposit or other payments (i.e., "cash") back.  Right?

As far as I know correct.  Have not read the UK law so am relying on what our UK friends have said.  Don't forget the 2 UK organizations that Lynn recently posted.  Think I got the letter wrong on the one I mentioned so again only going on what our UK friends have written.

3 hours ago, tgg said:

My "Guest Statement" has the words "Grand Total" at the bottom and the word "Gross" on the same line.  The gross is the price for each person added together.  This is the price per cabin.

So does mine..... each person itemized then totaled   then the sub totals thus are added to make the gross.    Rebate totals and other deductions are then subtracted  to  give you a NET due

With regard to UK protection, there are several organisations.  ABTA - Association of British Travel Agents.  ATOL - Air Tour Operators Licence.  CAA - Civil Aviation Authority.  They all have different roles to play.

ABTA membership gives consumers some rights when in dispute with the agent/tour operator.

ATOL protection only applies if the booking is a 'packaged' product such as cruise and air booked together by the same registered agent at the same time.  It provides the consumer with a refund if the tour operator fails or the package is cancelled.  If say a cruise only booking then ATOL does not apply.  However, in the current climate Tour Operators are refusing refunds and offering future credits, much like the cruise industry to protect cashflow.  

CAA protection gives consumers some rights against airlines for refunds etc.   It will also provide rescue cover for repatriation if an airline fails, such as what happened with Thomas Cook.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act makes a credit card company jointly liable with a retailer for purchases between £100 and £30,000.  If the consumer has a dispute with the retailer and is getting nowhere they can request a refund from the card issuer.

EU regulation 261 relates to refunds from airlines for delayed or cancelled flights.  It gives very good protection for the consumer with compensation for a significantly delayed flight.

However it's not all good news.  As someone noted earlier, it is very unusual to get a refund if you change your mind once a deposit has been made.  

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

So does mine..... each person itemized then totaled   then the sub totals thus are added to make the gross.    Rebate totals and other deductions are then subtracted  to  give you a NET due

Is that on the first page? Not that it matters. But there's a space of close to three inches after the itemizations and subtotals and it was only today that I saw the total on the next page. But as I said I guess I never missed it since it's pretty easy to add together two numbers 🙂

2 hours ago, Whiteowl said:

With regard to UK protection, there are several organisations.  ABTA - Association of British Travel Agents.  ATOL - Air Tour Operators Licence.  CAA - Civil Aviation Authority.  They all have different roles to play.

ABTA membership gives consumers some rights when in dispute with the agent/tour operator.

ATOL protection only applies if the booking is a 'packaged' product such as cruise and air booked together by the same registered agent at the same time.  It provides the consumer with a refund if the tour operator fails or the package is cancelled.  If say a cruise only booking then ATOL does not apply.  However, in the current climate Tour Operators are refusing refunds and offering future credits, much like the cruise industry to protect cashflow.  

CAA protection gives consumers some rights against airlines for refunds etc.   It will also provide rescue cover for repatriation if an airline fails, such as what happened with Thomas Cook.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act makes a credit card company jointly liable with a retailer for purchases between £100 and £30,000.  If the consumer has a dispute with the retailer and is getting nowhere they can request a refund from the card issuer.

EU regulation 261 relates to refunds from airlines for delayed or cancelled flights.  It gives very good protection for the consumer with compensation for a significantly delayed flight.

However it's not all good news.  As someone noted earlier, it is very unusual to get a refund if you change your mind once a deposit has been made.  

Thank you for that clarification.

On 4/26/2020 at 1:25 PM, clo said:

Is that on the first page? Not that it matters. But there's a space of close to three inches after the itemizations and subtotals and it was only today that I saw the total on the next page. But as I said I guess I never missed it since it's pretty easy to add together two numbers 🙂

I dont get an invoice from O.....My travel agent sends me one.   Everything on one page

Back to the OP!

We are booked in Dec on the Marina.  I realize that embarkation is not a given but there seems to be an inordinate number of cabins available.

When do you think the next round of price reductions is coming?

Dan

Edited by dj_crusin

2 hours ago, dj_crusin said:

Back to the OP!

We are booked in Dec on the Marina.  I realize that embarkation is not a given but there seems to be an inordinate number of cabins available.

When do you think the next round of price reductions is coming?

Dan

I heard a rumor that there will be an Oceania sale starting on Monday, 04MAY ….

28 minutes ago, basor said:

I heard a rumor that there will be an Oceania sale starting on Monday, 04MAY ….

Is anybody really ready to put money down?

Some experts predict that the pandemic will last maybe 2 years on & off. The way the refunds are being handled by all cruise lines now, I am keeping my money until this passes.

Currently waiting for $30K+ in refunds - don't want to do that again until there is an effective vaccine.

YMMV.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3

We will certainly be looking to see what is offered and willing to put a deposit down on a great priced cruise in late 2021 - 2022.....also have 2 cruises for late 2020  booked while on board Sirena that can be changed so no deposit required .  Options are good...

5 minutes ago, basor said:

We will certainly be looking to see what is offered and willing to put a deposit down on a great priced cruise in late 2021 - 2022.....also have 2 cruises for late 2020  booked while on board Sirena that can be changed so no deposit required .  Options are good...

I agree. I wonder if this “sale” will be on top of the already reduced fares. 

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Is anybody really ready to put money down?

Some experts predict that the pandemic will last maybe 2 years on & off. The way the refunds are being handled by all cruise lines now, I am keeping my money until this passes.

Currently waiting for $30K+ in refunds - don't want to do that again until there is an effective vaccine.

YMMV.

I'm with you Paul, 2 things will need to happen before I book any cruises with any line. First, any money due to me they need to return, second, they need to be back up operating without new outbreaks. Once those things happen I'll be ready to book new cruises. Until then no matter how good of a deal it is, I'm out. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm with you Paul, 2 things will need to happen before I book any cruises with any line. First, any money due to me they need to return, second, they need to be back up operating without new outbreaks. Once those things happen I'll be ready to book new cruises. Until then no matter how good of a deal it is, I'm out. 

Not only that - assuming that O and other cruise lines survive this pandemic, we don't know what they will be like. Let's hope that O stays the way I like it but who knows what changes might be forced to make.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:46 AM, pingpong1 said:

In the U.S., if the individual passenger/customer decides to cancel their own cruise (i.e., they decide they no longer want the "product" that they originally purchased) they will get a cash refund from the cruise line, ranging from the full 100% back of their deposit (if cancelled before the "admin fee" period begins - usually about 5-6 months out).  If the customer cancels their purchase a month closer to the sailing date,  they get their deposit refunded to them in cash - less a small admin fee deducted.  As the cruise date become increasingly closer, the customer gets an increasingly diminishing (percentage-wise) portion of their full payment back.  What exactly is "unfair" about that?

Why do you feel that "the government" should step in and impose more "regulation, remedy, and protection?  Must "government" get involved in every single aspect of our privileged lives?  Yes - I consider anyone who can afford to go on an ocean cruise to be "privileged".  We're not talking about making a gallon of milk "affordable" to everyone - this is all about people with lots of disposable income going on a completely discretionary "vacation".

From reading several of your posts over time, my perception is that you really like the  idea of "the government" becoming increasingly involved in every aspect of every individual citizen's life - right down to how much a vacation should "cost" us and what "protections" we need if we decide to take one.  As you might imagine my (alternative) belief is that "the government" in many ways, is already "way too involved" in our private lives.  The more involved "the government" (either local or federal) becomes in regulating our lives - the more things usually get "screwed up", complicated, irrational, and expensive (i.e., a father and his daughter walking in a huge public park by themselves - is now suddenly "illegal").

I say this as a person who "worked" in the federal government for over 38 years and was in a policy/decision making position.  I can personally attest to the fact that myself and my fellow employees were certainly no "smarter" and had no more "gifted insights" into how people should be running  and managing their our own lives, than anyone else was!  But given the authority, "government" will never shy away from the "opportunity" to tell us all "what and how" we should be living our lives - right down to the smallest detail! 

Government regulations are never in  the best interests  except for the government and the bureaucrats that live off of them.     Pres Reagan said it well "  The most fearful thing a person can hear is...I am from the government and I am here to help you"

1 hour ago, JVNYC said:

Not seeing any sale today. 

Most Oceania  sales start on a Wed  

personally I cannot see  a sale happening   now   but you never know  people may be lured by  a discounted  price

Maybe they will wait for the May long weekend  coming soon

JMO