Anyone over 70 still booking cruises?

1 hour ago, retiredgram said:

Irritated isn't the word I would use right now.  We have a yearly doctors appointment coming up in 2 months and we shall see what he says.  Doubtful he will sign, not because we aren't healthy, but you cannot predict what the future holds.  I am going to ask him if he would write his own note saying as of that visit we are physically able and healthy to take a cruise but he cannot predict how sick anyone will be if they get the virus. Maybe I will call RC and ask if that would be sufficient. lol :classic_biggrin:

Are they asking providers to somehow guarantee your health? I haven’t read the entire policy (temporary one), but no physician can state that. iNHO, if someone is sane they can decide for themselves if sailing is worth any additional risk. It isn’t anyone else’s decision to make as there is not as strong a correlation as was initially assumed.

Years ago on a CA/NE cruise we lost about 1/2 day going back close enough to shore for the medivac helicopter to pick up someone who had experienced a heart attack. No idea of age, only that it was a man. The point is people can get sick and people can die on a cruise ship at any age,  with conditions known or unknown. I simply don’t believe it’s fair to set an age limit given the current circumstances. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 11:33 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Even when a vaccine is available. How many will take it? Every year the flu vaccine is available for free and how many do not get it even though you see signs everywhere. Get your flu shot. More people die from the common flu than anything else. The common flu makes this virus look tiny in comparison.

This article should put some light on the subject.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/01/coronavirus-flu-deadlier-more-widespread-than-wuhan-china-virus/4632508002/

This article is dated February 1, 2020.  That was a L O N G time ago in terms of what we are learning about COVID-19.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 11:33 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Even when a vaccine is available. How many will take it? Every year the flu vaccine is available for free and how many do not get it even though you see signs everywhere. Get your flu shot. More people die from the common flu than anything else. The common flu makes this virus look tiny in comparison.

This article should put some light on the subject.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/01/coronavirus-flu-deadlier-more-widespread-than-wuhan-china-virus/4632508002/

Ummm....  at the time of the article only 8 people had tested positive in the US..... We are at 760,000 confirmed cases now and we are just getting started.

Also, there are ways that people can be squeezed into getting the vaccine.  Work places will require it or you may not be able to work.  Schools can require it and only allow medical exemptions and no religious or other exemptions (already happening in a couple states.). People without the vaccine will now have exorbitant health insurance premiums.   They can limit access to Disney or cruising without the vaccine. There are many ways that people who don’t get it may feel some financial pain or other significant inconveniences.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

I have a class A commercial drivers license. I'm also over 70. Every two years I am required to have a physical to confirm that I am physically fit to drive an eighty thousand pound vehicle yet the government says I need a doctors note to take a cruise because cruising is way more stressful than maneuvering an eighty thousand pound vehicle through NJ rush hour traffic.🙄 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

I have a class A commercial drivers license. I'm also over 70. Every two years I am required to have a physical to confirm that I am physically fit to drive an eighty thousand pound vehicle yet the government says I need a doctors note to take a cruise because cruising is way more stressful than maneuvering an eighty thousand pound vehicle through NJ rush hour traffic.🙄 

You think that is more stressful than trying to find a lounger by the pool on a sunny Caribbean day at sea?😏😉😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, helen haywood said:

This article is dated February 1, 2020.  That was a L O N G time ago in terms of what we are learning about COVID-19.

The stats are still the same. The common flu kills 100s of thousands more than this virus. Just so happens February was the last total taken. Last year over 360,000 dies from the flu. Think about that.

21 hours ago, Empehi said:

My doctor is a cruiser and he said he would NOT sign a cruise line form indicating a health assessment for anyone over 70 to go on a cruise.

It was also his opinion that very few doctors would sign such a form.

I feel everyone should contact their doctor .... then you would know what to do if this form is a requirement.

Just as an FYI on this subject:

I have a cruise booked in Oct and Dec and I just messaged my Primary Care MD and he said that he would sign a letter stating that we have no pre existing conditions that would exclude us from cruising. His only caveat was that it should be requested 30 days prior to the cruise.

28 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

The stats are still the same. The common flu kills 100s of thousands more than this virus. Just so happens February was the last total taken. Last year over 360,000 dies from the flu. Think about that.

360,000 world wide?

9 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I have a cruise booked in Oct and Dec and I just messaged my Primary Care MD and he said that he would sign a letter stating that we have no pre existing conditions that would exclude us from cruising. His only caveat was that it should be requested 30 days prior to the cruise.

9 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I guess I need your Doctor. I did mention the fact that I am healthy for a 72 year old but he said that was the point ... just about everyone over 70 has a little something wrong with them: taking cholesterol meds, high blood pressure meds,  being a little over weight (or worse), thyroid meds, etc etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

360,000 world wide?

Yes, they meant WW... In 2017/8 Season 61000 deaths in US, 2018/9 was 34000 deaths. Not to mention 42 million in US Caught non-Covid19 Flu last yr. Influenza(non CV19) US mortality rates 2018-2019 at age 0-4 .007, 5-17yrs .003, 18-49yrs .021, 50-64yrs .061, and highest is 65+ yrs old .832 

On 4/18/2020 at 10:44 AM, PattiHere said:

Thank you everyone for your replies.   I want to continue cruising, just wasn't sure if I was the only one wanting to still book cruises, and since I am over 70 the letter had me concerned.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:44 AM, PattiHere said:

Norwegians over 70 letter is less restrictive.  I read a post on the NCL forum that they would also accept a letter of consent written by the Dr.

Edited by Lorey2007
  • Like 1

I have to wait and see what requirements they put on me if July 31st, 2020 cruise sails to Alaska. I had planned to celebrate my 72nd birthday on board. We will see if it sails and if they let me board.

Also have Liberty out of Galveston booked for Oct 25th, 2020.

I hope this whole mess works out.