Anyone over 70 still booking cruises?

41 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

You are not licensed to dx or tx anything.      Would have to be at least a Nurse Practitioner       Not sure why you think you would qualify?   

I am licensed and a medical professional.    I have Nurse practitioner friends as well.  Would they be considered?  I would love that!

8 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

I am licensed and a medical professional.    I have Nurse practitioner friends as well.  Would they be considered?  I would love that!

You're overstepping the basis of the form,   As I already mentioned you are NOT licensed to dx or order tx's  which is what these documents require the  ability to do.   

Yes the Nurse Practitioner is able to complete the form-  AFTER evaluating the patient.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PNW Traveler said:

It appears that cruise lines with membership in the CLIA are using the letter.  Most of the larger cruise lines belong to this association.  I located the association's website in order to determine its members.  Viking was not listed.  Hurtigruten was also not listed.  Hurtigruten requires a physician's letter for its expedition cruises only.  We may look at cruises on non-CLIA cruise lines - interesting itineraries, smaller ships and also higher prices.

Interesting information.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PattiHere said:

I am over 70, and booked a cruise for December 2020 after my May 2020 was canceled.   Just wondering if any other over 70 year old people are still booking a cruise, because of the letter which may or may not be necessary.   I just need something to look forward to and want to believe I will be on a ship.   I am healthy, no medications or health problems, walk 3 miles six days a week.  My long time doctor isn't sure if she wants to sign the letter, but says I have no reason not to cruise.   

yup, husband is over 70 and I booked 4 cruises in the last month and will continue to book more.  We have 18 right now through April 2022 with a few more to throw into that time frame. Optimistic this requirement will go away.  Otherwise, hoping we have no issue with his doctor signing the letter since he has been with him for many years and is healthy.

• Like 1

Have Alaska cruise booked for July 31st, 2020. Plan on celebrating my 72nd birthday. Have Liberty booked for Oct 25th, 2020.

Guess we will see if they let wife and I cruise. If not, I am sure the Hyatt in Maui will let me stay.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just have her write the letter as of November 2020 you are fine and in good health to take a cruise, what happens tomorrow no one can predict, not even the cruiselines............

Yeah just walk in and tell your doctor what to write.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So if this requirement is still in effect for our cruise and our Dr does not feel comfortable signing the letter will our cruise be cancelled? (We are both over 70, healthy with no serious medical conditions) If cancelled for that reason would we get a refund?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

So if this requirement is still in effect for our cruise and our Dr does not feel comfortable signing the letter will our cruise be cancelled? (We are both over 70, healthy with no serious medical conditions) If cancelled for that reason would we get a refund?

I don't think anyone knows the answers to your questions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

As I understand it unless you have a refundable deposit, you would not.  They will offer you a FCC.  Of course it could all change once cruises start up - but when that will happen is the big question.

14 minutes ago, mek said:

As I understand it unless you have a refundable deposit, you would not.  They will offer you a FCC.  Of course it could all change once cruises start up - but when that will happen is the big question.

This is obviously after final payment,  so NRD no longer applies

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Seriously?

I’m sure you can  imagine the number of fraudulently signed forms that will go through the check in people?? I can’t believe  any of this will go well, can you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

I’m sure you can  imagine the number of fraudulently signed forms that will go through the check in people?? I can’t believe  any of this will go well, can you?

So the answer to your original question is it would be fraudulent for you to sign the form. Ans since you are a professional I suspect you already knew that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest maddycat
5 hours ago, mek said:

But to answer the OP's question - no way in hell will I book anything else until a very effective treatment or a vaccine is available.  Widespread antibody testing will also be necessary for me to feel comfortable getting on a ship in the future.

Why would I ever want to risk this again where things get shut down, future cruises are canceled and I have to wait months for a refund, and they impose restrictions that may or may not prevent me from cruising?

If I ever start cruising again it will probably be something I book at the last minute.  It  will be a long time before I would ever book a cruise way out from the departure date.

This is exactly how I feel.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yeah just walk in and tell your doctor what to write.

Note takes the liabilty from the doctor the minute  you walk out the door.Once on the ship $#@$ happens!

Edited by Jimbo