Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?

MarkWiltonM

17 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

No apology needed . All opinions are welcome. Just not judgemental ones. 

Well said -- Just ignore the " judgmental " comments. They come from the same people on every thread .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Absolutely NOT intended to " chastise people " ! 

Kindly re-read my post and " hopefully " you will understand that my intention was to point out that people are suffering all over the world , and , with respect , not only in the USA . 

I read it as chastising as well, so your intention missed the mark with at least 2 people.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I read it as chastising as well, so your intention missed the mark with at least 2 people.

Agreed.

And that poster stating that cruising and discussing cruises is not important to him right now, it did come across as judgy and chastising and holier than thou - the irony of course being that he was posting on a cruise board.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Agreed.

And that poster stating that cruising and discussing cruises is not important to him right now, it did come across as judgy and chastising and holier than thou - the irony of course being that he was posting on a cruise board.

" To me, not that important at this time  ".

How is this chastising anyone ????   It's just my opinion !!! 

I'm looking forward to cruising and to meeting many of you that have the same love for cruising as we do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

" To me, not that important at this time  ".

How is this chastising anyone ????   It's just my opinion !!! 

I'm looking forward to cruising and to meeting many of you that have the same love for cruising as we do.

You've had a number of CC users tell you that your comment didn't come across as you intended. It's probably not a good idea to now question our collective reading comprehension.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

You've had a number of CC users tell you that your comment didn't come across as you intended. It's probably not a good idea to now question our collective reading comprehension.

Agreed -- Excellent idea --

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Agreed -- Excellent idea --

Can't help but note there's an awful lot of judging going on and picking at words, even by those who say they don't appreciate the ones judging.  We all just give our opinions on this site, take them or leave them, no need to explain yourself, apologize for that opinion, or comment back and forth.

I'm expecting to be flamed for this opinion.  Maybe we all just need to step back and realize we are on a 'stay-cation' which is getting on our nerves since we can't sail as most of us need to.

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, oceangoer2 said:

I'm expecting to be flamed for this opinion.

No flaming from me-- Good post 

"no need to explain yourself "--- You try a few times and finally see that it is a " No Win " situation with some folks , so, just move on. 

8 hours ago, yorky said:

Personally I would prefer our lockdown to stay in place for another two months but even just now on the news airlines are saying if we don’t open up again they will never recover. How on earth do you even start trying to work out that balance between losing more lives and destroying your economy ? My wife has just received  the death certificate for her mum which states possible Covid 19?. Both her sister who lives next door and her brother  have all the symptoms and are getting tested.  Only my wife is not showing symptoms from her side of the family. I think the numbers here are way higher than the official stats.

Very sorry for your loss, and the other members of the family being unwell.  Hope all works out for them for the better.  I also believe the numbers are quite higher in every country.

6 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Yes Oceangoer, I badly need to escape from all this, but nowhere to escape to.

I'm just grateful I have a back patio to sit on during sunny days and a garden to look after.  There are those who are confined in very tight quarters. Things will get better, maybe not sooner, but definitely later. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I'm just grateful I have a back patio to sit on during sunny days and a garden to look after.  There are those who are confined in very tight quarters. Things will get better, maybe not sooner, but definitely later. 

We have a large back yard, a fire pit, several flower beds and a nice large garden to enjoy this year.  That is our vacay.  So glad we were able to cruise for 21 days this past Dec. and then another 21 days in January.  We just cancelled our Holland America cruise on the Nieuw Statendam for December this year.  Not ready to take the plunge but at the same time we booked 21 days on the Celebrity Edge for December 2021.   Lots of reading and catching up to do since have not sailed Celebrity since 2010.

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

hcat and Bo- I am a lifelong Red Sox Fan.  So I am sure that hcat's DH is watching Game 6 of the 1986 World Series over and over again!  It still is like a dagger through my heart!

Don't worry, once play resumes in real time...he will be back to reality ...

.I'm a Yankee fan so there's  nothing lately I care to see re run!

@Pinboy The only thing I want to comment on about your posts is your continued refrain about "the same people" or "some people" or "even 30,000 post members" are the ones who (insert: "are judgmental" or "are critical", etc.). We who followed your arrival to the forum know you had a lengthy back and forth with the member you are referring to.  Time to give it a rest, please.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Yup...dh has golf and  I have the garden.  Forsythias  are done but azaleas wil be popping soon! Not quite  like a cruise  but on board I order lots of floral arrangements..so close???

20191118_084914.jpg

20191118_090355.jpg

20191122_085302.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

We have a large back yard, a fire pit, several flower beds and a nice large garden to enjoy this year.  That is our vacay.  So glad we were able to cruise for 21 days this past Dec. and then another 21 days in January.  We just cancelled our Holland America cruise on the Nieuw Statendam for December this year.  Not ready to take the plunge but at the same time we booked 21 days on the Celebrity Edge for December 2021.   Lots of reading and catching up to do since have not sailed Celebrity since 2010.

You will love all the flowers and plants on EDGE...the floral art and Rooftop Garden!

20191122_114736.jpg

20191122_114849.jpg

20191122_114750.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2020 at 8:21 AM, MarkWiltonM said:

I have to admit I've been pretty depressed not being able to look forward to my next cruise. I have two scheduled, in Jan. 2021 and Jan. 2022, but I'm not optimistic I'll be able to go on either. I do not believe cruising is likely to be viable for a lot of us for a long time.  As you probably know, even when social distancing measures are slowly rolled back, most epidemiologists believe there will be numerous waves of the virus resurfacing, with new social distancing measures reintroduced as needed.  This is expected to go on until there is a widely available vaccine.  (I read recently that the fastest vaccine developed so far was four years, for mumps.)  My greatest concern, even if I were to learn that I have immunity to the virus, is that if I am on a cruise and someone develops symptoms that suggest COVID-19, we could be stranded at sea just as several ships were recently when denied access to ports to disembark passengers.  At the very least, cruise lines will have to have the ability to test quickly and accurately, and they will have to have arrangements already in place with countries on how to handle disembarkations when there are COVID-19 cases on board. I think it's going to be a long, slow process for cruise lines, with passengers and crew from many different countries on every ship, to work out these arrangements with all the various countries where they have ports of call. And few of us will be willing to sail if a wonderful two-week cruise could possibly turn into a four-week or longer imprisonment with no means of escape. This is completely separate from whatever dangers there may be of contracting the virus on board. I hope I'm wrong!

Lot of image repair is going to be necessary as the press digs in:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/cruise-ships-set-sail-knowing-the-deadly-risk-to-passengers-and-crew/ar-BB13tPcs

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

Yup...dh has golf and  I have the garden.  Forsythias  are done but azaleas wil be popping soon! Not quite  like a cruise  but on board I order lots of floral arrangements..so close???

20191118_084914.jpg

20191118_090355.jpg

20191122_085302.jpg

Lovely!  we're more north so my azaleas are still in not in bud...just leaves greening up.  Wish we could golf (as you know from my notes)...hope your DH settled into the pro shop with social distancing you mentioned.  And being able to watch ANY sport (preferably hockey) would fill some time.  I'm watching all the 1930's movies from before I was born....in reruns....5 times in some cases!  But they did make good movies in those days IMHO.

I hope we cruise this year.  I was just thinking how no one knows when the cruising switch is turned back on.  I'm sure cruise lines (and CDC) have all kinds of metrics.  Suppose they say by Sep 1st it's OK to cruise.  Then maybe that becomes Oct 1st, Nov, Dec etc.  I have a cruise booked in December.  Do I think it will happen?  Not really.  I'm not feeling too optimistic right now.

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

@Pinboy The only thing I want to comment on about your posts is your continued refrain about "the same people" or "some people" or "even 30,000 post members" are the ones who (insert: "are judgmental" or "are critical", etc.). We who followed your arrival to the forum know you had a lengthy back and forth with the member you are referring to.  Time to give it a rest, please.

Getting myself in trouble here, but because this has gone on a bit, I scanned this person's past posts and can't see where he/she has been critical of a 'certain member' at length.  So....maybe we should all take a 'rest' and leave each other alone when it comes to being critical of a post.  I'm sure whoever the member is, will have had every chance to set it straight, if necessary and hasn't requested back-up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1